Start by marking “Tarnished Gold (Landry, #5)” as Want to Read:
Tarnished Gold (Landry, #5)

Tarnished Gold

(Landry #5)

Growing up in her beloved swamp, Gabriel is supremely happy, despite the ever-widening rift between her Mama and her conniving, whiskey-drinking Daddy. Her classmates tease her, calling her "La Femme Au Naturel," the Nature Girl, because she seems more interested in poling her pirogue through the canals than she is in romance. But Gabriel nurtures her own secret dreams. ...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tarnished Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarnished Gold

Start your review of Tarnished Gold (Landry, #5)
Breanne
Well I have finally finished reading the "Landry Series" by V.C. Andrews. I do have to say that I kind of feel a little cheated. I was disappointed to learn that the fifth book in the series was actually a prequel to the first book. I feel as though the fourth book left too many underlying questions for the fifth book to have been a prequel rather than a continuation of the story. The fifth book deals with Gabriel, Ruby's mother, so once again you have to get used to reading as another character ...more
Anna
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this series when I was in my early twenties. That was well over twenty years ago. With that said, I can still vividly remember details and characters from Tarnished Gold. Oftentimes, I’ll forget plots or characters from books I read even a month ago. Not the case here, and I think that’s pretty telling. This was actually my favorite book in the Landry series. It was so sad and made me cry a few times!
Jessica Timmons
If I had realized that Virginia Andrews was in fact V.C, Andrews truthfully I would of never have read the book. To no offence to her she is an excellent writer. For me the problem is, if you do not have a strong inner core and have possible problems with depression you just absolutely cannot read her books. However if your strong and confident with yourself I would see no problem with reading her books. Like before I found myself crying throughout most of the book or flinging it across the room ...more
Jayjay
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read but was starting to feel like deja vu the book has become like many previous in VC Andrews earlier collection.
Rosey
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
The 5th book was actually a prequel to the whole Landry series. It focused on Gabriel, Ruby's mom, and how she brought babies Paul, Giselle, and Ruby into the world. It also brought us a closer look into the lives of Gabriel's parents as well. I am sad to have finished this mesmerizing series, but I know I will carry Ruby, Gabriel, and Grandmere Catherine close to my heart, for they were really strong women, of whom I admired.

Some parts in the book were really veeishy, and kinda sick -
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
You know right away what happens to Gabriel when you start reading 'Ruby', so reading this book is a bittersweet experience. It was nice to see a time where Jack and Catherine were happy together - at least some of the time. I can't help but wonder what would happen if Gisselle had inherited some kind of gift, since it seems to run in the Grandmere bloodline. Anyhoo, Gabriel comes off as a very likeable character. She's very sweet and loving - maybe a bit too sweet for some - but she was a ...more
Redfox5
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, family-saga, fiction
This has the strongest start out of all the Landry books. With Gabriel becomes pregnant after being raped by a rich man, it all goes a bit 'Flowers In The Attic' after she agree's to have the child and give it to his wife to bring up. With Gladys copying Gabriel's behaviour and acting slightly insanse, the first half of the book is gripping.

The story starts to slide after Gabriel meets Pierre. I just don't buy Gabriel wanting to go into the swamp with a rich man after having been raped. They
Kim Smiley
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Michelle Zafora
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i almost cried reading this book. it was so good but sad at the same time. a lot of things that happened to Gabrielle was totally out of her control and that just made it worse. overall i loved this landry series. it was not as good as the Casteel series but it had its own style to it.
Emily McConville - Author
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of vc Andrews older series soo many times, I don't think I'll ever get sick of them. The twisted family plots, family secrets, etc...never gets boring for me. Reading tarnished gold again has made me want to go and haul all the ones I haven't read and to re-read the ones I have. This book saddened me, and angered me. With a father like Gabriel's, it made me cringe many times! I was hooked on this book just as I was the first time I read this whole series.

Andrea J Terpe
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vc Andrews Gabriel

Great book to read will keep you on your feet to read all of the chapters in the book.
Crazy_smiler
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Big H
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty stereotypical for an Andrews novel:

1.) Hot, poor girl (generally blonde) who doesn't think highly of herself and who constantly thinks of other people and their happiness before her own gets raped (suprisingly, in this novel the girl wasn't raped by a family member).
2.) Hot girl gets pregnant, something happens to it/it dies/it gets taken away.
3.) Life sucks.
4.) Girl finds prince charming (who she may be related to, although not so in this book, surprisingly). Something happens to him/he
Anne Marie
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I guess we won't know if Pearl marries Jack and becomes a doctor since this last book in the series is in the perspective of Gabriel, Ruby's mother. We already know what happens to Gabriel from the previous books, but it gives us a more in depth story of her life, her mother, and her father, Jack. I have to admit even with her father Jack always seeming to be drunk and getting into trouble, deep down he just wants what's best for his family. Jack and Gabriel's mother even have a funny sarcastic ...more
Chelsea Gouin
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: vc-andrews
And so concludes the Landry series. Gabriel had a very sad story and I would have enjoyed it if I had not already heard it through Ruby's narration. I don't understand the choice of a prequel at the end of the series...especially after the history has been so beaten into readers through the course of the first 4 books.
Anyway, Gabriel lives on the bayou with an alcoholic father and traiteur Mother. Catherine knows the ways of voodoo and is a respected member of the Louisiana community where
Alberto Guerrero
Growing up in a beautiful swamp area, Gabriel was a very joyful girl despite having an alcoholic as a father and a mother who didn't have a good relationship with her daughter. Her class mates would tease her because she loved to row her flat bottom boat down a canoe made of a hallowed tree trunk. She was nicknamed "La Femme Au Naturel," the Nature Girl. She was nicknamed this because she loved nature more than she loved romance.
Then, days before her High school graduation a rich cannery
Melody Loomis
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first VC Andrews book. I remember I got it for free at the library I worked at in high school when they were discarding a bunch of paperbacks. And thus, my love of VC Andrews began. (later, I realized some were written by ghostwriters, but I still enjoyed them)

I didn't know this was part of a series when I read it, but it was perfect since it's the prequel before the series, so it's really book 1. I went on to read the rest of the series after. I think this book, however, stuck with
Ritz ☾
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, garbage-fiction
There were some things that were actually a bit of an improvement from the previous four. And that would be an actual semblance of a somewhat developed relationship??? Not between Pierre and Gabriel, but Gabriel and Gladys. As bizarre as that whole thing was between them, there was unusually more focus on those two. Of coruse, Gladys was cray-cray, but we all knew that from the previous books.

Really don't know how to feel about Gabriel allowing for history to repeat itself when it came to her
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Krista Gray
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: landry
Knowing how the ending was going to be I was questioning how I'd like this but loved it. I enjoyed hearing what Gabrielle went threw and know what happened with Rudy's grandparents.i found the death of Gabrielle sad even though we already knew from book one it happens its stil a very sad ending so a poor young girl who suffered so much. This is my first non vc Andrews book read and was iffy how I'd enjoy the writing. But for tying up this series I'm thrilled it was like she wrote it herself ...more
Sue Lauzon
This was the last book (or would you consider it the first one) in the Ruby series. It's the story of Ruby's mother Gabriel and how she came to give birth to three children. The first four books introduces us to Ruby, her twin sister Giselle (who is bought by a wealthy New Orleans couple - not going to give away the secret here) and her older brother Paul (Ruby isn't aware that he is her brother). This book pretty much follows a typical V.C Andrews book but still a somewhat enjoyable read.
Jamie
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I felt very sad while reading Tarnished Gold because, after reading the previous books, I knew what sad, terrible events happen. However, I really enjoyed the book. I liked learning more about Catherine and Jack's relationship. And although I disagree with Gabriel's choices, I liked her as a character.

Overall, I think Tarnished Gold was a nice conclusion to V. C. Andrews's Landry series.
Ashlee
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
It took me quite a while to finish this, I didn't find it all that interesting so I sat it aside for a while. I didn't really think that Gabriel needed her own book. We got enough of her story in the other books to understand what we needed to know. I really wish this would have tied up some of the loose ends with Pearl and Ruby.
Violet
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is book five in the series. My suggestion is that if you are interested in reading this series, read this one first. The only reason I say this is because I kept thinking of Ruby when I was reading this one. I had to keep reminding myself that Ruby was not around yet.
It explains alot of the history of the series.
Patricia Atkinson
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story of Gabriel who is rubys mother.How she grew up in the swamps and octavios tate raping her and how they got paul.than her meeting pierre dumas and became pregnant again.This is the last book in the series and puts all the pieces of the puzzle together.Very well written and lots of surprises.
Michelle Bacon
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-drama
One of the better V C Andrews books I have read. It held my attention, the character development was done well and I really did shed a tear at the end. This is the prequel to the Landry series which starts with Ruby. I have not read the Landry series, but I'm not sure those books will stand up to this one.
Camille McCarthy
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Even though this wasn't written by the real V.C. Andrews it felt much more like one of her books than like one written by her ghost writer. The language and the style was much more close to the original and the plot line wasn't as good but it wasn't terrible either so for someone that likes V.C. Andrews' original stories I would still suggest this one.
BookeryBliss
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
VC Andrews has always been a favorite of mine since my childhood days. I have read (and re-read) all of her books, and although I am much older now and find that some of her work is better than others, I still enjoy the twists and turns, strangeness and mystery that continues to captivate my interest. (even some of the ghostwriter's work)
Taylor
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wish she didnt die in the end. but then again its the last book of the series and I didnt read the other books lol but yeah I liked it over all. it gave me hope in a way! a very good read it was indeed
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Prettiest Horse in the Glue Factory
  • Fly Trap
  • Defending Everly (Mountain Mercenaries, #5)
  • Gump - Pes, který naučil lidi žít
  • Kuyruklu Yıldız Altında Bir İzdivaç
  • The Story Sisters
  • You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
  • Annabel
  • Camille (Verhœven, #4)
  • Two Little Girls in Blue
  • Aliens Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Scandaleuse Elisabeth (La famille d'Arsac, #1)
  • All Cats Are Introverts
  • The Bargain 3 (A Port Elizabeth Regency Tale #3)
  • The Bargain 4 (A Port Elizabeth Regency Tale #4)
  • House of Prayer No. 2: A Writer's Journey Home
  • A Man's Partner: A Detective Jericho Single
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man

Landry (5 books)
  • Ruby (Landry, #1)
  • Pearl in the Mist
  • All That Glitters (Landry, #3)
  • Hidden Jewel (Landry, #4)