Start by marking “Lucky Everyday” as Want to Read:
Lucky Everyday

Lucky Everyday

An inspiring novel about a women named Lucky who is anything but . . .

Forced to flee Bombay when her wealthy and charming husband divorces her and squashes her career, Lucky Boyce feels defeated and desperate for respite. Fortunately, old friends welcome her to New York where life begins with promise. Determined and trying to make a difference, she volunteers to teach yoga
Published May 1st 2009 by Penguin Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Everyday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Everyday

Ellen
Aug 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I just don't know about this one. I get what the author was going for, the whole spiritual journey--letting go--enlightenment shebang, but wow what a disjointed downer.

And for some odd reason this book kept reminding me of Good in Bed and I've decided there should be a sub-class of books, "REALLY? fiction." Not to be confused with "Mom Fiction," "REALLY? fiction" are books where the plot just keeps spiralling down until you find yourself saying, "Really, (insert author's name here), was that ne
Nancy Brady
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Lucky Boyce is anything but lucky in this debut novel. As the story opens, she has returned from India after a nasty divorce from Vikram. Once back in New York, she takes on volunteering to teach yoga in the state prison as well as turning another company around.

It is through yoga and her mentor's continued voice (in her head) that she overcomes obstacles. Lucky is resilient, and she discovers that friends are one of her strengths, no matter who they may appear.

Chocolate mousse is not necessaril
Ivy
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
The character is well-written and her plight sympathetic but the bizarre series of events that makes up the plot is one big pile of WTF.
Munsif Husami
Typical chick-lit, moves from one inexplicable yet imminent twist to another. Got tiresome after a point. Read only if you need drama and entertainment written in half decent fashion. Good for little else
Smita Beohar
When a lady commented to Lucky Boyce, “You are lucky today, you escaped miraculously.” Lucky simply said “I am Lucky Everyday”.

Can a name make you luckier than others??

What we get to see of Lucky’s life can never be called a lucky existence. As an outcome of her bitter divorce she was forced to flee from Mumbai to New York leaving behind a trail of bitter memories & a business which she had nurtured with her sweat & blood. She tries to start afresh in New York and starts teaching Yoga
Wendi
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Angela
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lucky Everyday is a philosophical novel about the crooked path toward spiritual enlightenment.

The novel begins with Lucky volunteering to teach yoga at a men's prison.

In a swift move backward in time, the reader learns about Lucky's previous relationship with a pseudo-boyfriend, Amay, whom she wishes she had married and her disastrous marriage to Viki, the glamorous businessman who wanted a more traditional wife that Lucky ever would be.

In a series of seemingly random yet intricately interwove
Amanda
Jul 14, 2009 rated it liked it
What was it? Chick lit about divorcee who rebuilds her life after her crappy marriage falls apart. Sort of, only in this case Viki got India and Lucky was exiled to the US. I've heard of custody battles but this is ridiculous. Or maybe it was a book about finding enlightenment through yoga and a lot of misery. There was mystery. Mystery and suspense, also some courtroom drama. Lucky Everyday hit all these genres. I DID like it, but every once in a while I got whiplash when the plot/style changed ...more
Carmen
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Enjoyed the book very much. I liked reading about the Indian culture (Asia) and how the women there have the same ambitions, wants and needs as we do in the US. One of my favorite parts was reading how the main charachter dealt with her emotions around abortion. She was asked at the end of the book if she was worried about what people would say adding that the character had an abortion and she said that in India society does not make it their business, it is unspoken that what is chosen for them ...more
Erin
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story, but I'm guessing the author's first language isn't English because while the story/plot/ideas/thoughts were great the writing lacked depth and creativity and it read like the first draft of what with better writing and more flushed out scenes could have been more exciting, even gripping. But instead it didn't make much of an impact. But while the writing style annoyed me, the story held my interest.
Kathy
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avoid-this-book
Maybe I'm just in the wrong mood to read this book, but I saw nothing new or insightful about it. I actually gave up after about 50 pages (life is way too short to read books that don't capture my attention by then). I didn't care about Lucky, or her yoga class, or her failed marriage. So much of this is subject matter that has been written about over and over again that to make it worth reading, it has to be fresh and add something. I just didn't get that from this book.
Freny
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really was entertained and read to finish upto 3 am.
I also enjoyed the yoga bits and since I do yoga it is so motivating to read the effects! Lucky could not have been so successful without a strong body that yoga provided her with!!!
Overall I am so impressed at the way my attention was rapt and such an unusual book!!!
Alistair
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Wow, this book will give chartered accountants a whole new profile. Competently written, the most interesting parts of the novel examine the culture clash between india and America. Alas, the author seems more keen to burden her heroine, Lucky, with as many calamities as possible, coming up trumps pretty well all the time....I wonder how difficult it is to get into an accountancy course...
Sherenaz Mazda
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing insight into looking beyond the controlling circumstances to see the view from the mountaintop and change directions. Spirituality has many faces but its effect is the same - a liberation from the bindings, release of energy and potential. The story here is intriguing and I just could not put the book down but the lessons hit home
Christian
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I never would have picked up this book if I had not seen it recommended on the Bikramyoga website. Initially I thought it was a marketing scam, but the book was actually very good. I particularly enjoyed the ending :-)
Margie Sanders
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it

I liked it. Having worked with D.O.C. and a yoga enthusiast the references were sometimes off but it was still enjoyable. I didn't care for the affair and I'm really confused by the ending. Did she live? Did she die? I can't tell.
Tiffony
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Truly worth the 99 cents I paid for this book on clearance. I was surprised how easily I was able to get into this story of a women whose life has been been through the wringer and back again. Her strength was inspiring. I would def suggest it to friends!
Audrey Norton
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very good, light reading kind of book. I have been studying world religions this semester, and Lucky is Buddhist, so it was nice to read about her meditation and beliefs. The ending was a little dry, but supposedly there's a sequel coming.
Stacey Neve
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I have really mixed feelings about this book. The writing is nice and I like the characters, but at a certain point the amount of awful crap happening to this intelligent, hardworking, kind woman starts to feel too unrealistic, yet it's still utterly depressing.
Annie Malinosky
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this book when I was taking a lot of yoga classes. It was a good book but kind of hard to get into and a tad far fetched.
Anil Jaiswal
interesting view from an Indian born English writer, with cultural twists. nice plot and easy read
alka PURI
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable and could not put it down! Great and entertaining!!!
Janie
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
I can't believe I finished this book. It was like a bad accident that you can't look away from.
Karen Kuciel kozlowski
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surprised at the ending and lesson
Sunita Rajwade
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a not to be missed novel. I enjoyed the characterization and the plot that kept me up late in the nigh till I turned the last page. One of those books I will refer too always!!!!
Angela
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I came across this book at the local library and I really enjoyed it.
Jojo
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
INSPIRING and AMAZING
A novel not to be missed!
Becca Wyper
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read. Really inspires the female spirit and the need to never give up, no matter what life throws your way!!
Katy
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was gripped by the journey that Lucky endured. I loved the ending which made me contemplate. As a student of yoga this book was inspiring. I look forward to more readings by this author.
Preeya Phadnis
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I especially loved the ending -- it really
allowed me to use my imagination about what happened to the main
character. Great read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sirsana 2 3 Jul 11, 2009 12:27PM
  • Minding Ben
  • Picture Bride
  • There Is Room for You
  • Someday Soon
  • The Perfect Seduction (Conqueror, #3)
  • How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition
  • The Bargain Bride
  • Woman of a Thousand Secrets
  • Ripe for Pleasure (The League of Second Sons, #1)
  • Sins of a Highland Devil (Highland Warriors, #1)
  • The Fourth Queen
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • To Sin With a Scoundrel (Circle of Sin, #1)
  • Band of Angels