Start by marking “Homecoming (Ghostgirl, #2)” as Want to Read:
Homecoming (Ghostgirl, #2)

Homecoming (Ghostgirl #2)

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  7,372 Ratings  ·  331 Reviews
Heaven couldn't be a phone bank, could it?

Charlotte Usher discovers that the afterlife isn't quite what she pictured when she's forced to intern at a hotline for troubled teens. Before she can officially cross over, she'll have to be a source of guidance for one such teen. The problem is she doesn't have much advice to offer since dying hasn't exactly boosted her confidenc
Published July 1st 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.
K.Heart I would just so you know whats happening, and all the characters. but they do tell you most things you need to know for this book.

Nicole
Apr 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-reviews
Two words to describe this book: SUPERFICIAL and BORING.

Okay, I'm not usually a bitch to books. I generally favor what I read, regardless if the heroine is stupid or the plot is senseless as long as i get enjoyment from guilty pleasures and books i forced myself to read. In other words, I AM mostly nice even if i insult the main characters.

Sadly, this book failed to captured my attention AND my respect.

*shakes head* now where do i start. The amount of FAIL that this book gets from me is IMMENSE.
Truly
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Apakah Tuhan menjalankan saluran belanja via telepon? Pikir Charlotte"

Charlotte dan teman-temannya telah lulus Kelas Pendidikan Kematian. Namun alih-alih menuju surga, mereka malah harus menangani hotline bagi remaja bermasalah. Sekali lagi Charlotte harus menghadapi kenyataan yang tidak menyenangkan. Semua temannya sibuk menerima telepon, hanya dirinya yang tidak menerima telepon! Bukan hanya itu, seluruh temannya mendapat hadiah kelulusan berupa pertemuan dengan orang yang dikenal dan dikagum
Brittany P
Jul 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
The supposed “twist” near the end reminded me of Scooby Doo. While this book was slightly better than the first, it’s almost as if Hurley can’t figure out what kind of author she’d like to be, what kind of books she’d like to write. Her writing style and characters have changed so much, the first book is only needed for background info on the characters.

It’s more like her writing shouldn’t be published, so much as exist in a High School English class. The ending in this one is almost more clich
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
May 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was awful. I could not even finish it. The first was okay-at least it had SOME plot line-it kept me reading to find out if she got the guy (she didn't). The interesting cover is not enough to keep me reading, and really, the cover is the only thing this book has going for it. I hate the feeling of forcing myself to read something and since I had to do that here-I quit. The writing and story was juvenile, even if some of the topics were not. 50 pages in I am left wondering where this was goi ...more
Emily Hogan
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At the end of the first book I wondered if their was going to be a sequel and a few months latter I happily learned that their was another book coming out, the plot centers around the all important high school event of Homecoming, turns out Petulia had flunked her senior year in order to try to win Homecoming queen this year, her now senior year sister Scarlet is having a long distance relationship with college age Damen, both are ripped into a situation when Petulia mystreiously enters a coma, ...more
Kim Baccellia
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Charlotte Usher finds out that 'graduating' in the afterlife isn't what it's cracked up to be. She ends up in a phone room, waiting for a teen to call for help. Except no one calls.

Then tragedy hits Hawthorne High's most popular girl Petula. Her sister Scarlet, tries to help. Charlotte is the answer. But will Scarlet be able to get to her in time to save both of them?

This is the sequel to GHOSTGIRL. This fast-paced novel kept me turning the pages wanting to see what Scarlet's answer to helping h
Mafi
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, pt
Gostei mais deste do que do primeiro, é mais profundo mas com o mesmo toque de humor :)
Depois da graduação, Charlotte e outros fantasmas recebem a notícia que terão de fazer um estágio onde terão de responder a telefonemas de adolescentes que tem problemas dando conselhos. Mas antes de começarem todos recebem prendas devido à sua graduação infelizmente Charlotte não recebe nada dos seus pais e é a única que não recebe telefonemas. Mas a chegada de uma nova personagem Maddy irá trazer muitas aven
Carol
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I really like the series. I know I'm completely out if the age range, but I don't care. Seeing Charlotte again was nice, and knowing that even though she matured and did the right thing back in book one, that doesn't mean she has suffered a complete transformation. She is still insecure and full of doubts, and I understand her very well. One doesn't grow out of insecurities in months or a year. It takes a whole life of working through your self esteem and eventually growing up and changi ...more
Anto
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
DIVERTIDÍSIMA, interesante visión del "más allá" y linda continuación de la trama de la primera parte. Final bastante anunciado excepto por esa última página... Me gustó bastante.
Ana Palitroche
Dec 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Y otra vez volví a agitarme interiormente. ¡Tonya, ¡¿qué has hecho?!
-se da de golpes contra la pared-

Pues como el primero no me dejó un buen sabor de boca, estaba segura de que éste no sería mucho mejor. Era mejor pensar eso y que me agradara el libro, a tener expectativas muy altas y terminar odiándolo. Y así fue…

Charlotte ha madurado un poco. ¡Sí, lo hizo! YEY!... pero se siente sola. Además, la gloria que pensaba obtener al final del primer libro se ha esfumado y vuelve a ser marginada y sin
Ana
Update 08/27/2014

Rating: 1.5/5 stars

If you'd like to see this review on my blog.

Homecoming is the second book of the Ghostgirl series, starting right where the first book left off. It tells the story of Charlotte after she and her classmates graduate from deadthology class. But crossing the threshold isn't as great as Charlotte imagined.

This second installment in the Ghostgirl series was as much a disappointment as Ghostgirl was. As full as potential as bad plot development.

The characters contin
Michelle Mouse
Mar 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Para ser sincera esperaba que Ghostgirl fuera de esos libros únicos que hoy en día escasean, pero me llevé una sorpresa al encontrarme con su continuación, fue grata ya que el final del primer libro fue abierto y daba mucho que imaginar. Ghostgirl, el regreso fue toda una odisea, no pude empezar a leérmelo hasta cerca de tres meses después de comprarlo y aún así se me hizo eterno, la actitud de Charlotte a cambiado, es más madura y astuta pero sigue pareciéndome una chica algo patética y autodes ...more
Fiona
Now that Charlotte has finally graduated from Dead Ed, she will be going to Heaven, right? Nope.

Instead, she is stuck giving advices to troubled teens through a hotline by being their "conscience". Except, she never gets any calls. Fun. Is this how the Afterlife supposed to be?

Damen is at college now and Scarlet feels that their relationship is slowly deteriorating. Her utmost popular sister, Petula, is getting glammed up for homecoming. But unexpectedly, she falls into a coma after a bad pedicu
Alice
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I can envision Ms. Hurley as a very likeable Goth. She's fun, quirky and an all-around sarcasm-user, that's for sure. Wtih Charlotte and her friends, Hurley creates a world of life and death that is humorous, loving, and not at all macabre. Although I would have enjoyed the occasional Poe-style horror.

Sometimes, though, the way Hurley writes just rubs me the wrong way. Several times through out the book, I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't Hurley's thoughts resonating through the words
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of those "horror lite" books - Charlotte has graduated from Dead Ed. and is stuck in customer service (which consists of waiting for Those in Need to call in for help, at which point she's supposed to act as that small, still voice that gives them good advice). She's living with Maddy, who appears to be one of those controlling friends that doesn't want Charlotte's old friends to be a part of her life; those old friends have reunited with people from their pasts and seem to be settli ...more
Lauren
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Vuelve Charlotte con más aventuras. También lo hacen su amiga Scarlet y la hermana de ésta, Petula. Pero el lugar es diferente.

Charlotte se encuentra ante una no-vida demasiado rutinaria y no termina de acostumbrarse a ella. Scarlet y Petula siguen con sus vidas en el instituto y Damen se encuentra algo distanciado de ellas. Todo parece muy normal hasta que un tonto accidente hace que Scarlet vuelva a necesitar la ayuda de Charlotte. Ésta que ha sido ignorada por sus amigas, decide ayudarla. Pe
Violet
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I got the ARC of this book and I wanted to see what happened, seeing how the last one ended. I was so surprised at the turn this book took! First off, it's much better than the first one and I really liked the first one. This one is much deeper, but still has that hysterical wit and can stand on it's own. The author upped her game even more here. this is what good writing is all about. I can't wait to get the finished book this summer. this is definitely THE book for summer reading. LOVE IT!!!!!
Jenn
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Maybe I should have read the first book in this series before this one. There's a lot of references that made no sense to me. I have no idea how Charlotte died. The Dead Ed only made sense after awhile. None of the characters made me give a damn about them. Petula is a bitch, plain and simple. She could have died and I would have cheered. I won't be looking for anymore in this series. Including the first book.
Carrie
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Ugh...I really wanted to like this book but...well, it was only ok. I rolled my eyes throughout reading it. I felt the story was forced and it didn't flow very well. I like to connect to the characters I read about but I didn't like any of them. I slimmed through the middle and the end in hopes to quickly finish and never open it again.
Awilma Acosta
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book ius awsome!!!!!!!!
I really think girls who have bad relationships with their sisters should read this because it might help[ them become friends right away. If not, in one week.=:]
bye!!!
Ana
Oct 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring, simple as that.
Qana Blue
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story is highly unique.
Girl fights, sororities, love, trust and friendship. <3
Anoeska Nossol
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Goed, ik werd eigenlijk al verliefd op dit boek nog voor ik het gelezen had. Wat een prachtige hardcover is dit! Om nog maar te zwijgen over dat prachtige binnenwerk.
Toen ik erachter kwam dat dit deel twee was, kreeg ik het al benauwd. Gelukkig kan je dit boek ook als een standalone lezen. Ik had niet het idee dat je boek één gelezen moest hebben om alles te begrijpen. Het wordt toch herhaalt en mooi uitgelegd.
De titel is wel barslecht vertaald moet ik zeggen. Van 'homecoming', vermoedelijk het
Tippy Jackson
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tippy by: Found in the library
It was alright. The authors humor and tone remind me some of Christopher Moore and I appreciate it. This was fun, but it left me curious as to how she'd write other books and characters.

Also, this was part two of a series, but I was able to read it without having read the first, although, there may have been a couple things I'd've understood better had I read the first.

*Spoilers Coming*

The mystery of what happens after we die has been solved... it is of course.... more work. Ghostgirl goes to D
Megan Hillard
Nov 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
HOLY ADVERBS BATMAN

HOLY DIALOGUE TAGS BATMAN

HOLY HORRIBLE WRITING BATMAN

HOLY OFFENSIVE-MENTAL-HEALTH-JOKES-FROM-CHARACTERS-WE'RE-SUPPOSED-TO-ROOT-FOR BATMAN

HOLY CARICATURES BATMAN

HOLY BAD WORLDBUILDING BATMAN

HOLY HORRIBLE PLOT BATMAN

HOLY MISREPRESENTATION OF HOMECOMING QUEENS BATMAN (from your friendly neighborhood homecoming queen who *gasp* is a human and *gasp* defies stereotypes, just like the rest of her fellow homosapiens. A bit more nuance next time, please?)

HOLY WHAT DID I JUST READ BATM
Mariana Ivette Banda López
Muy bueno si eres adolescente, la lectura y ritmo de la trama es veloz, esta segunda parte en tiempo cronologico no dura mas de una semana asi que se va de volada, lo bueno es que tengo los libros de toda la saga, los voy a releer todos. La musica sigue siendo inspiradora pero los capitulos otemas introductorios son algo dramaticos, ni coincide con los sucesos ni le dan tinte aunque explican muy bien la musica o poemas pero son utiles por las ilustraciones.
Alicia
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque Charlotte se haya «graduado» en Muertología, ahí no ha acabado su historia, todavía tiene que hacer prácticas. Coger el teléfono en un centro de ayuda para adolescentes problemáticos no es algo verdaderamente emocionante. Hasta que un día recibe la llamada de su amiga Scarlet: una pedicura terriblemente torpe ha dejado a Petula, su hermana pija, en coma y tal vez Charlotte sea la única persona que pueda solucionarlo.
Katherine
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is one of those rare books which are so bad you read them thinking they are parodies, only to later realize, that they're, in fact, just that stupid. There are so many plotholes, there isn't even a plot anymore. It's just the holes. Also, every other sentence romanticises death, as if it was a product the writer wants to sell, which is not only abolutely idiotic, but also pretty dangerous.
I'm selling this book as soon as I can, I don't even want it to be near me.
Alejandra Toledo
Did you like this book? 5 17 Apr 23, 2018 03:18PM
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • 7 Souls
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • Dead Girl in Love (Dead Girl, #3)
  • Dudes, the School Is Haunted! (Rotten School, #7)
  • Poison Ink
  • The Lost Days (Emily the Strange Novels, #1)
  • Azufre y Sal
  • Moby Clique (Bard Academy, #3)
  • The Ghoul Next Door (Monster High, #2)
  • Dead Connection
  • Rise (Salvaged, #2)
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Hungry For You
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • The Lady Killer (Lady Spies, #2)
Tonya Hurley is a New York Times and international bestselling author of the ghostgirl series (Little, Brown) and The Blessed trilogy (Simon & Schuster). Her books are published in nearly 30 countries and in more than 20 languages. Ms. Hurley has a worked in virtually every aspect of teen entertainment: creating, writing, and producing two hit TV series; writing and directing several acclaimed ...more
More about Tonya Hurley

Ghostgirl (3 books)
  • Ghostgirl (Ghostgirl, #1)
  • Lovesick (Ghostgirl, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“If you expect nothing, you can never be disappointed.” 214 likes
“If you expect nothing, you can never be disappointed.
Apart from a few starry-eyed poets or monks living on a mountaintop somewhere, however, we all have expectations. We not only have them, we need them. They fuel our dreams, our hopes, and our lives like some super-caffeinated energy drink.”
76 likes