Start by marking “grl2grl” as Want to Read:
grl2grl

grl2grl

In this honest, emotionally captivating short story collection, renowned author and National Book Award finalist Julie Anne Peters offers a stunning portrayal of young women as they navigate the hurdles of relationships and sexual identity.

From the young lesbian taking her first steps toward coming out to the two strangers who lock eyes across a crowded train, from the tra
Published September 1st 2007 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about grl2grl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about grl2grl

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Julie Ann Peters has already distinguished herself as a master at writing full-length novels dealing with GLBQT issues. With GRL2GRL, she establishes that she's also good at writing short stories with great characters and in-depth storylines.

The book includes ten short stories, all dealing with girls and their feelings of love, loneliness, passion, and betrayal. There's a story about a girl on the subway, the object of another girl's affection, and the strength
Anna (Bananas)
This had a lot of potential - interesting set-ups, compelling characters, but damn, it was all so bleak. I did enjoy some of the stories but overall very underwhelming. I must break the curse of the f/f book!
Rajesh Bookrider
Julie Anne Peters makes you feel those words.

This is a YA short story collection. in this book characters are teenagers transgender and lesbians who are trying to come out, abused, having anxiety, emotional stress, realising their sexual identity, and sweet love memories and sweet conversation.
noah
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: retired-reviews
What do you do when who you love conflicts with religion and society? What do you do when your love is wrong?

In this book, there are ten stories about girls who are different from most: Girls who are attracted to other girls. Boys in girl bodies. Girls who miss one another, long for one another, cry over one another.

I enjoyed this book quite a lot. The writing was beautiful, the topics were strong and interesting, the dialogue was realistic, the stories themselves were concise and well-rounded
Maria
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I honestly don't know why I keep doing this to myself. The word short is on the cover for everyone to see and yet I find myself expecting these tales to be endless. I guess that says something about Julie Anne Peters and her character writing skills. One has to open oneself to them, but she makes them extremely easy to bond with. You are already way too invested and you have yet to start reading the second sentence. Sigh. Anyway...

I must confess that until I read Boi I thought there was a recurr
Shawnta
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An amazing example of the diversity of lesbian life for young american women. I was impressed by this book in a way that startled me.
Liralen
Much as I enjoyed these stories, I am reminded of why I read so few short stories: just as I am getting invested in the characters, the story ends. I'd love to see Peters expand some of these into longer pieces, though, and it was nice to see some characters who weren't entirely self-destructing.
Christina
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Rena
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-ya, library
The one word that came to mind when reading glr2grl by Julie Anne Peters is longing. Her collection of short stories featuring young lesbians is about longings for love and acceptance. Mostly the book is a bit sad, but there is some light at the end. Great book for young people and anyone who wants to step into the shoes of gay youths.
Amy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved how brutally honest it was.

It shows how desperately we seek love in all we can, and how we long to be who we feel we are on the inside.
Joanne
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

As she has written so many LGBTQ YA novels, I knew as soon as I started thinking about LGBTQ YA Month that I wanted to review something by Julie Anne Peters. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a struggle to find her books as they don't seem to be published in the UK. I found Grl2grl, and although it wasn't exactly what I wanted at the time, I bought it. And since reading it, I've discovered it's actually pretty spot-on for the month.

Why? Because it highlight
Mark Syron
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-fiction
To start off with if there is one story I would remove from this collection will be Boi. First off, Vince establishes himself as a male, even though he is a bio female. This has always bugged me when I was reading this as a woman and even more so when I have transitioned to male myself. It is frustrating as male to read another transmale to be in a collection of female-focused individuals. Now onto the rest of the tales.

The rest of the collection is great. Some stories are hard to read, like Sto
Amy H
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was okay for me. It wasn't the best book I've ever read but not the worst either. This book had a lot of potential and many of the stories were very heartbreaking and sad but that was what made the stories meaningful. However, the diversity of this book and the way it talks about lgbt issues is really important.
Kert Tandog
It captures the textures and various colours of being a teenage gay woman really well. My only gripe is the short story format, which leaves a lot of things hanging. I would have loved to have some of the stories in a fullblown narrative. The book, despite my tiny chagrin, is intended to be a collection of shorts - and I can't totally hold that against the author.
Alyssa
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant bit of work by one of my favorite authors. Each story, while short in length was brilliantly written with enough information about the characters that make the readers genuinely care about each of them. They all ended with me anticipating more; a full book for every story perhaps. A great read, and rather quick.
Madilyn
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
All the stories gripped me but that one with the chat online relationship frustrated me and the last one about two music prodigies made my heart clench. Need to buy this book and add it to my collection of queer literature!
Heather
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was enlightening. To see things from the perspective of a teenage girl/young woman coming out, or being afraid to come out, or any of the other things depicted in the short stories... and they're so well written. There is a lot of heart in this book.
Kayla Huggins
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the myriad of emotions these stories took me through. Whether it’s overcoming loss, your family or community, coming out, or learning to accept hard truths there’s a lot of wisdom in this lesbian collection of short stories.
Wilmarie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Passengers
Can't stop the feeling
Stone cold butch
Two Part Invention
Isabella
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The stories were short but extremely emotional. They each gave the reader something to think on, whether it was a happily ever after or a left-unknown type. Absolutely phenomenal!
Lisa Reviews Books
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Too short to be satisfying, mostly. Not a lot of depth was achieved, and while this doesn't make it loose stars.....what even is that cover?
Angie
grl2grl is a bit of a mixed bag of short stories about queer girls. Some of the stories are happy and cute, but for the most part, they're really sad. I do think it's great that there's such a wide range of tones and themes, so there's a little something for everyone here. I hated some of the stories, and only one really stood out to me in an amazing way, but I did like this collection over all.

★★☆☆☆ Passengers - Tam sees Andrea on the train every day, but has never talked to her despite seeing
Mike
grl2grl was an anthology of ten short stories by Julie Anne Peters, all of which featured LGBT characters. (Mostly L). I was originally going to do a detailed review or every short story, but then I realized that since Peters wrote all of the stories, that would get repetitive. So I'm just going to do a general review, and write a brief paragraph on the specific stories.

My favorite part of Peters's novels has always been the writing. She's the master of simple prose; it's always completely natur
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Review: I didn’t know what to expect from this. I really wasn’t paying attention when I got it from the library, so was surprised to find it was a collection of short stories.
Passengers-Tam starts getting to know the person on the train, and herself.
Can't Stop the Feeling-Mariah working up th courage to go to the GSA. Nice enough characters, open ending as to Mariah's choices later. I liked Lily.
After Alex- The dealing with Alex's break up with Rachel. Not much happened here.
Outside/Inside-Loga
TheCosyDragon
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it

This is a collection of 10 short stories by Julie Anne Peters, one of my favourite queer authors. It covers a range of 'first-date' situations and getting over breakups of young lesbians.

Normally for a book of short stories I would be reviewing each one individually. But I don't have the book here, and all of the stories are by the same author, s
Tim
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The identity crisis called "adolescence" is hard enough for cis straight youths--but what's it like to weather that teenage tumult as gay or trans or bi or questioning? This bouquet of 10 short stories by Julie Anne Peters gives the reader a chance to learn.

Julie Anne Peters has a heart which resonates sympathetically with the struggles of her characters--people who, even in the twenty-first century, still find themselves marginalized as outcasts for their variant sexual identities. Peters wins
Erin
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: glbtq youth and their allies
Julie Anne Peters has done just as good a job with this collection of 10 short stories about high-school-aged lesbian and transgendered teens as she has done with her award-winning longer novels. These stories address many different types of conflict that glbtq teens face: "from the young lesbian taking her first steps toward coming out, to the two strangers who lock eyes across a crowded train, to the transgender teen longing for a sense of self, or the girl whose abusive father has turned her ...more
Nina Cooper
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With grl2grl Julie Anne Peters has created an anthology of young adult characters that are as different as can be. The same applies to the situations they are in. Whether it is first love, coming out, breaking up or simply being a woman in love with a woman, there is a wide range of situations from gentle or tender to pretty rough and extremely sad.
Apart from the display of variety it was simply great fun to read on because of the lively style that Miss Peters uses. I loved how she managed to d
Taylor Jarrell
grl2grl is a collection of stories revolving around young women and one young trans male coming to terms with their identities as sexual, romantic, pubescent young adults. It is a set of stories that offers a hand to the reader to guide them through several crises of identity where the main character has to come to terms with a part of themselves they were not prepared to confront. As middle school students enter into puberty, and begin to deal with adult emotions and desires for the first time, ...more
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
SlashReader: I originally started reading Julie Anne Peter's work some time ago when her first books came out Define "Normal", Keeping You a Secret, Luna and Far From Xanadu. Though apparently "Keeping You a Secret", is the only book that managed to make it up here being that I read them doing the point of transition for this group or perhaps before, I don't know. Anyway Julie Anne Peter's writes a lot of moving girlgirl romance for the young adult crowd and a lot of it is pretty good if you're ...more
  • Love & Lies: Marisol's Story
  • Girl Walking Backwards
  • Gravity
  • Down to the Bone
  • Crush
  • Hello, Groin
  • Dare Truth or Promise
  • Good Moon Rising
  • The Rules for Hearts (Battle Hall Davies, #2)
  • Torn
  • How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity
  • The House You Pass on the Way
  • Gravel Queen
  • Kissing Kate
  • Pages for You
  • The Full Spectrum: A New Generation of Writing About Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Question
  • f2m:the boy within
  • Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence
Julie Anne Peters was born in Jamestown, New York. When she was five, her family moved to the Denver suburbs in Colorado. Her parents divorced when she was in high school. She has three siblings: a brother, John, and two younger sisters, Jeanne and Susan.

Her books for young adults include Define "Normal" (2000), Keeping You a Secret (2003), Luna (2004), Far from Xanadu (2005), Between Mom and Jo (
“Black_Venus: Here it goes:
Time and transposition
Conscious intermission
Assertion?
Desertion --

Black_Venus: That's all I have so far. You finish it.

Me: How about "Spanish Inquisition.”
2 likes
“If I was alone I'd find something to do. Read or work on homework or doodle, fake it, so if I was alone it'd look like I wanted to be alone.” 0 likes