Start by marking “May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)” as Want to Read:
May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)

May Bird and the Ever After

(May Bird #1)

Most people aren't very comfortable in the woods, but the woods of Briery Swamp fit May Bird like a fuzzy mitten. There, she is safe from school and the taunts and teases of kids who don't understand her. Hidden in the trees, May is a warrior princess, and her cat, Somber Kitty, is her brave guardian.

Then May falls into the lake.

When she crawls out, May finds herself i

Published May 23rd 2006 by Aladdin (first published August 30th 2005)

Amanda
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
May Bird and the Ever After, the first book in the Ever After trilogy, tells the tale of a 10-year-old girl named May, her kitty named Somber Cat and the horrifying adventures they have in Ever After, the world of the dead.

This was a truly fantastic tale of adventure and friendship. I've read many children's books and May Bird and the Ever After is most definitely one of the most imaginative books I have read. The author created an entirely unique and amazing world, one that was both fascinatin
Caitlyn
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite series as a child. I wasn't a little girl that fantasizes about ponies and rainbows, I enjoyed the dark stuff. This was perfectly dark enough for the age I was, and fulfilled my wishes of a dark, but beautiful other world. Plus, May was pretty relatable.
Kendra
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

May Bird and the Ever After is one of the greatest books I've ever read. I'll try not to let my personal bias get in the way in this review, but I just want to say that this--and the rest of the trilogy--was one of the most inspirational and impactful books I've ever read in my entire life.

May Bird is a 5th grade girl, and like most protagonists, is disliked by everyone at school. The only one she can really call her friend is her cat, Somber Kitty, who is--of c
Jillian
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this series; it’s one of my all time favorites. It’s such a unique adventure, and I love the themes of friendship, love, and becoming. Also, Somber Kitty is just the best.
Ronda
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Meet 10-year-old May Bird, who lives with her mother and a hairless rex cat named Somber Kitty at the edge of a woods in a place called Briery Swamp. She spends much of her time with her cat in the woods, dreaming of being a warrior princess or in her room drawing pictures of strange creatures. She's not like the other kids in her class, who think she's just plain weird. May Bird's mother, concerned and coming to her wits' end with May's "strange" behavior, is talking about sending her away to a ...more
Ryan
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two stars looks like an awfully disappointed assessment, but take the rating for what it represents: "It was OK."

After an Alice in Wonderland-ish tumble through a watery portal, May Bird finds herself in the Ever After, a macabre world populated by ghosts and specters (the former never lived, the latter did, or maybe vice-versa). While trying to discover a way home to her mother, May learns that the ghost world is suffering under the tyrannical fist of a particularly bad bogey whose edicts and m
Ellen
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
3.5. It was cute. :) Wait- am I allowed to call creepy books cute? It was spooky, but in a good way. Really fun. (Plus, the main character's name is May ELLEN Bird. Enough said. XD)
Melissa Jacobson
Actual Rating 4.5

I thoroughly enjoyed this middle grade read! The world was the perfect blend of whimsical and dingy and the character were quirky amd entertaining. This was such a delightful little story and I cannot wait to read the remaining two books in this trilogy!
Taejas Kudva
Jun 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids, girls especially, into fantasy adventure
Recommended to Taejas by: Madison Parks
Shelves: kids-books
The second Pirates of the Caribbean movie annoyed the heck out of me because it and the third should have just been one movie. Well, and I didn't realize it was going to be a cliffhanger ending.

The first May Bird bok falls into the same category. Now, it didn't leave me with a tremendous headache like the second Pirates movie did, but the book didn't finish so much as it ended. It seemed like the end of a chapter, not the end of a story, and it is very possible to have great episodic books where
Kogiopsis
Nov 05, 2008 rated it liked it
This book has been on my to-read list for so long that I've forgotten why it was there, but that's alright: it turned out to be charmingly creepy, and not nearly as juvenile as I'd expected.

In a lot of ways, this is similar to Catherine Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, in that both are stories about young girls sucked into dangerous magical realms. May Bird finds herself in the afterlife, which has its own complicated social structure and politics, b
Sandy
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sandy by: Patron
After getting a request for this book from a kid who has proven to have excellent taste (she's a regular at the library, and we've done a lot of book talking!), I finally picked up May Bird and the Ever After by Jodi Lynn Anderson. I was kind of impressed with the book. May is a friendless 10-year-old girl who has a vivid imagination...and the threat of being sent to boarding school looming over her shoulder. One day while walking in the woods near her home, she falls into a lake and is sucked i ...more
Asia Campbell
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a really good book i loved it.
Karla
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and kids at heart
Shelves: childrens
Hmmmmm...took me a while to get into it. But now I can't wait to read the next one. Reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. May Bird and her cat Somber Kitty (as opposed to Toto the dog) get trapped in a fantastic world, the world of the dead, where she makes lots of oddball friends as she tries to get back home to her mother. This story is quirky and funny in places, but also a scary...of course, so was the Wicked Witch of the West - here it is the Bogeyman, who hunts May down with dogs instead of flyi ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
In this book May Bird is whisked off to the land of the dead, called Ever After, and adventures her way across the land, searching for a way home. She makes some ghostly friends, and some enemies, in her quest to find the Book of the Dead which holds the answers to every question.

The writing is excellent, and there are many good characters. I just don't like ghost stories. All the Halloween-style world building was not to my taste, but I think other people would enjoy that kind of setting.

The st
Becky
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
I read this for 5th grade Battle of the Books and wrote 25 questions for it. Considering that I don't really like high fantasy (which most of this is other than a brief introduction to May Bird before she tumbles into The Ever After), I must say I was intrigued with this book. It was certainly original and fast-paced with marvelously described characters both living and dead...not to mention Somber Kitty! I can see why my 5th grade girls like it (I'll try to get them to read Theodosia and the Se ...more
Trina
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was hard to plug through. While reading it aloud to my girls, I often found they weren't even paying attention because they were so bored with it. But we persevered and worked out way through it so that we could find out the ending to the great plot line set up at the beginning of the book; only to find it wasn't answered, and the book is a series. UGH! What a disappointment; it's drawn out too long for us....
Crystal
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was excited to find a book that I was able to enjoy with my daughter. We read a couple chapters every night and quickly went on to finish "May Bird Among the Stars". Can't wait for the last one to be in paperback.
Mckenna
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
A young outsider, May Bird is dragged into the underworld- no place for mortals, but with the help of her hairless cat, somber kitty, and an unexpected friend, can she get back home?
sam appelbaum
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
VERY GOOD! i had to read it for a book club during school (bleh!) but ended up LOVING IT!!! READ
Kamaria
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book gives me strong Tim Burton vibes. I love it! The story is so good and there are so many memorable characters. You really get enveloped in this world pretty easily. i can't believe how upset that I was when I thought that this was a solo story. I was so happy to find out that there was a second part (mind you I was twelve). This is definitely something that I would recommend to a little sister or something. It has creepy vibes here and there but not in a bad way. There is also some adve ...more
Payton
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has sat on one of my many bookshelves, untouched and unread, since 2005. I'm in a "spring cleaning" mood, but I promised myself I wouldn't donate any books without having first read or reread them. I picked up May Bird and the Ever After yesterday and I regret so much not reading it when it was first gifted to me by my younger sister thirteen years ago. I loved this book. LOVED IT. It was lovely, well written, full of adventure, and simply different from the dozens and dozens of books ...more
Jessica
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't recall how many times I've read this book by now. It's always been a childhood favorite of mine ever since I picked it up in 2006 at a scholastic book fair. The imagination that went into creating a world that was macabre but also whimsical at the same time is phenomenal.

With every read, I notice something different whether it be a layer to a character relationship or the story's plot itself.

With loveable characters and a world I'de love to dive into myself (pun FULLY intended), I'll gla
Ives Phillips
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I came across this on Wattpad after scouring the site for some stories to add to my library, and it's impossible how fast I was hooked to this story. Not many children's stories pique my interest for obvious, age-related reasons, but this just captured me. A new twist on the old things we grew up with: life after death, pre-adolescent loneliness, the Bo(o)gey Man, and cats that are just as loyal as dogs.

I've purchased the other two to read, and after finishing them, I am donating them to my libr
Juliana Hernandez
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found the book May Bird and the Ever After to be an excellent read. The best part about the writing was the surprises. You expected the book to go one direction and then it shifted. For example, the ghost named Pumpkin that was haunting May ended up being her friend. I liked the writing style of the author and how she went into great detail when describing the characters and situations they got themselves into which made it feel like you were in the story and could imagine the scene. I didn't ...more
Jody
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
I enjoyed this story, it follows a 10 year old girl who ends up in the after life (The Ever After) and meets a whole bunch of crazy ghostly characters on her adventure to get back home. But it never really drew me in and while I enjoyed the idea and the world, it wasn’t complex enough for me and didn’t stand up to some other middle grade stories that I enjoyed more. However, I personally think it’s a pretty good story as far as middle grade goes and I would recommend it to someone close to the a ...more
Etola
A charming book that makes me think of Coraline done with a Harry Potter-esque tone. There were moments of genuine humor in the colorful world-building, and May is a very likeable protagonist who battles her own insecurities just as much as she tries to escape ghouls and other similar nasties. There were times when my interest waned, but once Beatrice and Fabbio appeared on the scene, I found myself more engaged.

The book didn't necessarily blow me away, but it was a fun read and I definitely wa
Ruby Ridge
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable book. so much so that I read it in a single session and am now looking forward to #2 in the series. Reminded me a little bit of Catherynne M. Valente's Fairyland series (the girl who...). May is a great character but is almost overshadowed by Somber Kitty - a Helluva character.
Highly recommended to all readers especially middle school readers - I figure there are a lot of girls (and boys too) who can relate to May Bird.
Callie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite of mine

I read this book so many times on sick days and vacations as a kid. I looked up to May Bird for her bravery, and I fell in love for the vividness and quirkiness of the Ever After. Now that I’m an adult I still love this story and recommend it to anyone who loves strange,wonderful, and heartwarming adventures.
Natasha Hagen
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current
This book (and the whole series) is perfect for those shy young girls who are having trouble finding their place in the world. May Bird proves that it’s okay to be your quirky, quiet self. You are still important, and you are still loved. I’m entering my late 20s and I will always adore reading this series.
Patrick
Like 2 1/2 stars. May is likable, and her growth and spunkiness near the end are the best part of the book. The weird world is too unexplained and random for me, as is the plot. We zip from place to place encountering creative ghosts, but never have a clear idea of exactly what May is accomplishing or how. The cat subplot was funny.
  • Gilda Joyce: Psychic Investigator (Gilda Joyce, #1)
  • School Spirit (Suddenly Supernatural #1)
  • My Haunted House (Araminta Spookie, #1)
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Dark Hills Divide (The Land of Elyon, #1)
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
  • The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3)
  • The Anybodies (Anybodies, #1)
  • The Wizard of Ooze (Ravenspell, #2)
  • All That Glitters (Avalon: Web of Magic, #2)
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • The Eyeball Collector (Tales From The Sinister City, #3)
  • Diary of a Fairy Godmother
  • Witch Catcher
  • Doctor Who: The Blue Angel
I write strange and mythical stories about young people.

May Bird (3 books)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird, #3)
“But I don't want to lose my guts answered Pumpkin ” 8 likes
“Dear Miss Bird,
The Lady of North Farm had asked us to send you this map to Briery Swamp Lake, just in case. She thought you might be having trouble finding it on your own, and she is expecting you to be prompt. We are very sorry for the danger you will endure, but we eagerly await your arrival should you survive it, as we are in great need of your help. The Lady joins me in sending you good luck and best wishes.
Sincerely,