Start by marking “Paradox in Oz” as Want to Read:
Paradox in Oz

Paradox in Oz

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Ozma, the lovely girl ruler of Oz, must find a way to restore the enchantment that keeps her people young. A lovable but puzzling Parrot-Ox named Tempus carries Ozma back through time to seek the source of the aging enchantment
Published May 1st 2000 by Hungry Tiger Press (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Paradox in Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradox in Oz

Orion
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book to end the first century of books written about the magical land of Oz and is the best book written in the Oz genre since L. Frank Baum, the founder of the series, died in 1919. Paradox in Oz is Edward Einhorn's first novel and first book about Oz. It is wonderfully written and carefully plotted and does something that even L. Frank Baum had a hard time doing. It tells a wonderful story with Ozma, the fairy ruler of Oz, as the main character.

At the beginning of this work
Matt
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
While not one of the Oz books written by Baum, this charming fantasy preserves many of Baum's best elements. It is funny, witty, and enjoyable at every turn. Ozma is at her best in this story of time travel and magical discovery, and the magical creature that makes traveling through time possible-- the Parrot-Ox-- is a brilliant creation. There is only one of him, you see, but he travels through time so often that it's entirely likely that several versions of him will coexist at any given place ...more
Karen
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I finished reading this "children's" book, my head hurt. I became a bit like the Man-Who-Lives-Backwards trying to figure out all the twists and turns, and, yes, paradoxes, of time travel. Had I still been a child, say of about Ozma's age, I might have just read this book and accepted it at face value. THAT, I think, is the real Paradox of Oz.

This story was very well-written in a way that pays homage to Baum, right down to the typeset.

The illustrations, however, are why I picked this book
Cherise
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read many of the original Oz books as a child -- but I have to say that this is my favorite story set in Oz, even more than the ones written by Baum himself. What I love about this book:

1. It centers around time travel.
2. It features Ozma as the main character.
3. It actually takes Oz canon seriously (which is something the original Oz books themselves don't do very well.)
4. It has gorgeous pictures! (I'll admit that I didn't originally plan on rereading it, but checked it out from the library
David McGuire
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good!
If you're a fan of the original books, I recommend it.

The book stars Ozma, is about time travel, and plays with Oz canon inconsistencies beautifully. What more could you want? Sometimes the prose skews more "young reader" than "all ages," but most Oz fans would consider that a plus anyway.
Gail
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy, 2013
For a non-Baum book, this was surprisingly good. The author has an excellent way of mimicking Baum's writing style and mannerisms. And I was so excited to see The illustrations- The Age of Bronze graphic novels are excellent and Eric does an amazing job here also.
Ben
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun SF in a classic Oz book
Tessa
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes the oz books
simply amazing!
Trav S.D.
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Paradox in Oz is a whimsical if dark excursion that smashes together L. Frank Baum's world with elements of science fiction (e.g., time travel, alternate universes). Ozma and the titular "Parrot Ox" (a half parrot, half ox, wonderfully brought to life by illustrator Eric Shanower) go into alternate time streams and other dimensions to address the fact that all the inhabitants of Oz have begun to age.  The journey they take is so baroque, so intricately conceived, it quickly becomes (to borrow a ...more
Rachel
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book by accident in 2003, when my friend was working at the Museum of Comic Book Art in NYC during the summer invited me to their Comic Convention. I picked it up as I love Oz books, having grown up reading them and I have an original book with color plates. I even got the illustrator to sign my book and draw a little scarecrow with it. I enjoyed reading the book.
Kim
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun read, for those who like the Oz series. Rather confusing when they try to explain the time paradoxes present, but I just kept reading & enjoyed the characters, skipping the jokey scientific parts.
Adrian
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oz
Time travel, alternate dimensions, and parot-oxes. Good stuff, and a diving point into making all "ozziverses" canon.
Scot Simmons
Jun 10, 2009
Leslie Evans
Jul 09, 2017
Edward
Jun 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Donald Armfield
May 15, 2017
Krista
Dec 24, 2013
Tracey
Aug 06, 2012
Darrell Spradlyn
Jul 07, 2016
Edward Einhorn is a writer/theater director, based in New York. He has written plays about neurology; picture books about math; adaptations of sci-fi novels; translations of French and Czech absurdists and of ancient Greek drama; puppet theater; modern Oz novels; explorations of economic theory; autobiographical found text dramas; midrashim on Jewish cultural icons; a libretto for an oratorio; and ...more
More about Edward Einhorn...