Start by marking “Paradox in Oz” as Want to Read:
Paradox in Oz

Paradox in Oz

Ozma, the lovely girl ruler of Oz, must find a way to restore the enchantment that keeps her people young. A lovable but puzzling Parrot-Ox named Tempus carries Ozma back through time to seek the source of the aging enchantment
Published May 1st 2000 by Hungry Tiger Press (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Paradox in Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradox in Oz

Start your review of Paradox in Oz
Karen
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I finished reading this "children's" book, my head hurt. I became a bit like the Man-Who-Lives-Backwards trying to figure out all the twists and turns, and, yes, paradoxes, of time travel. Had I still been a child, say of about Ozma's age, I might have just read this book and accepted it at face value. THAT, I think, is the real Paradox of Oz.

This story was very well-written in a way that pays homage to Baum, right down to the typeset.

The illustrations, however, are why I picked this book
Hyaroo Hyaroo
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
For the longest of times, there's been an enchantment over the land of Oz that kept people from growing older unless they wished it themselves. Now, however, for some reason, time is starting to creep up on them; people are starting to age, they discover grey hairs or begin experiencing ageing pains and back problems. According to Glinda's Book of Records, this is somehow tied in with the mysterious Man Who Lives Backwards, who is now a baby but used to be a grown man in the past, and of Ozma pe ...more
Orion
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book to end the first century of books written about the magical land of Oz and is the best book written in the Oz genre since L. Frank Baum, the founder of the series, died in 1919. Paradox in Oz is Edward Einhorn's first novel and first book about Oz. It is wonderfully written and carefully plotted and does something that even L. Frank Baum had a hard time doing. It tells a wonderful story with Ozma, the fairy ruler of Oz, as the main character.

At the beginning of this work
Matthew
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
While not one of the Oz books written by Baum, this charming fantasy preserves many of Baum's best elements. It is funny, witty, and enjoyable at every turn. Ozma is at her best in this story of time travel and magical discovery, and the magical creature that makes traveling through time possible-- the Parrot-Ox-- is a brilliant creation. There is only one of him, you see, but he travels through time so often that it's entirely likely that several versions of him will coexist at any given place ...more
Daisy McGuire
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good!
If you're a fan of the original books, I recommend it.

The book stars Ozma, is about time travel, and plays with Oz canon inconsistencies beautifully. What more could you want? Sometimes the prose skews more "young reader" than "all ages," but most Oz fans would consider that a plus anyway.
Gail
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy, 2013
For a non-Baum book, this was surprisingly good. The author has an excellent way of mimicking Baum's writing style and mannerisms. And I was so excited to see The illustrations- The Age of Bronze graphic novels are excellent and Eric does an amazing job here also. ...more
Benedict
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun SF in a classic Oz book
Cherise
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read many of the original Oz books as a child -- but I have to say that this is my favorite story set in Oz, even more than the ones written by Baum himself. What I love about this book:

1. It centers around time travel.
2. It features Ozma as the main character.
3. It actually takes Oz canon seriously (which is something the original Oz books themselves don't do very well.)
4. It has gorgeous pictures! (I'll admit that I didn't originally plan on rereading it, but checked it out from the library
Tessa
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes the oz books
simply amazing!
Nicole Thompson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I was given a free copy of this audiobook by the author or narrator in exchange for an honest review.

From the publisher: "Oz is aging! Ozma, the lovely girl ruler of Oz, must find a way to restore the enchantment that keeps her people young and vibrant. A lovable but puzzling Parrot-Ox named Tempus carries Ozma back through time to seek the source of the aging enchantment. Ozma meets strange versions of her closest friends in an alternate timestream: Glinda, the Wizard, the Cowardly Lion, even O
Suren Oganessian
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having gotten through all the public domain Oz books that are free to read online, I've begun sinking my teeth into whatever else I can find, be it classic or modern, in the Oz series. Some modern Oz books can seem too fan fictiony, but this one fits right in with the Famous Forty, and might as well be canon. It provides an explanation for all the inconsistencies in the original books too, suggesting that perhaps each Oz book is in its own universe, or at least, the books by different authors.

Th
Emmy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
•audiobook•

Conundrums ....
Parrot-Ox or paradox?
Endless riddles with creative solutions
A man who lives backwards
Obsidian City vs Emerald City
King Oz or Wizard of Oz?
A girl in a room of hundreds of mirrors -trying to find the real girl
Historical time, physical time, Oz time, Ozma time
A clock that doesn’t move and a clock in which the minute hand is moved back a tick once a day....
talking to yourself - erm yourselves in different times

Although a somewhat light, lyrical read, Paradox of Oz i
Christopher Schmehl
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Paradox was a delightful entry into the long-running Oz series. While not an "official" Oz book it probably should be, time travel and all.
Edward Einhorn delves into a couple of Oz's historical moments in an exciting and characteristically Ozzy way. Ozma is the book's undeniable protagonist. She undertakes a dangerous and confusing adventure to restore Oz's "de-aging" enchantment when its citizens begin to suddenly show telltale signs of aging after being eternally youthful for about 100 years.
E
Mandy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my heart how I loved this book. Reminded me of when I was younger reading the oz books every summer and now how I want to read them again because of this book. Ozma is dealing with all her people starting to age after for some reason the spell that was used to keep people from aging no longer works. She goes on these adventures trying to fix this and help her people.
Jameson
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 5-star review after my first reading, 7/11/18:

Perfect. Can't say enough about this book. It completely recaptured that sweet feeling of reading the Oz books for the first time when I was little. I've been on quite an Oz kick lately and I've found most of Baum's books a bit aimless and repetitive for my taste. This book actually has structure and a strong plot. And the easy prose glides you through the story. (It amazes me how some books today with clunky, overwrought prose can do so well.)

Oz,
Trav S.D.
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Paradox in Oz is a whimsical if dark excursion that smashes together L. Frank Baum's world with elements of science fiction (e.g., time travel, alternate universes). Ozma and the titular "Parrot Ox" (a half parrot, half ox, wonderfully brought to life by illustrator Eric Shanower) go into alternate time streams and other dimensions to address the fact that all the inhabitants of Oz have begun to age.  The journey they take is so baroque, so intricately conceived, it quickly becomes (to borrow a ...more
Rachel
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book by accident in 2003, when my friend was working at the Museum of Comic Book Art in NYC during the summer invited me to their Comic Convention. I picked it up as I love Oz books, having grown up reading them and I have an original book with color plates. I even got the illustrator to sign my book and draw a little scarecrow with it. I enjoyed reading the book.
Kim
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun read, for those who like the Oz series. Rather confusing when they try to explain the time paradoxes present, but I just kept reading & enjoyed the characters, skipping the jokey scientific parts.
Sarah Sammis
This author and illustrator get Baum and Neill. I'm going to go as far as say that if it isn't canon, it should be. It's the most Oz like Oz book I've read outside of Baum and Thompson's works.

Adrian
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oz
Time travel, alternate dimensions, and parot-oxes. Good stuff, and a diving point into making all "ozziverses" canon. ...more
Jul 09, 2021
Dec 30, 2008
Heather Maoury
Mar 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Ojo in Oz (Book 27)
  • Candide
  • The Royal Book of Oz (Oz, #15)
  • The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2)
  • Emil and the Detectives
  • Harley Quinn, Vol. 1: No Good Deed
  • The Lost Princess of Oz (Oz, #11)
  • The Tin Woodman of Oz (Oz, #12)
  • Nightwing, Vol. 1: Leaping into the Light
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • Glinda of Oz (Oz, #14)
  • Cat Among the Pigeons (Hercule Poirot, #36)
  • The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag
  • The Boggart
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • Life Among the Savages
Edward Einhorn is a writer/theater director, based in New York. He has written plays about neurology; picture books about math; adaptations of sci-fi novels; translations of French and Czech absurdists and of ancient Greek drama; puppet theater; modern Oz novels; explorations of economic theory; autobiographical found text dramas; midrashim on Jewish cultural icons; a libretto for an oratorio; and ...more