Start by marking “My Only Sunshine: A Story for Domestic Abuse Survivors” as Want to Read:
My Only Sunshine: A Story for Domestic Abuse Survivors

My Only Sunshine: A Story for Domestic Abuse Survivors

“My story is like that of many before me. I am a victim of domestic abuse and marital rape, a battered woman. I fell in love with a tall, dark and handsome man; a self-proclaimed bad boy with an unexpected and worsening drug problem. I was blind to his true colors when I said my vows and I feared there was no turning back.”

Set in a small town in Minnesota and spanning over
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 265 pages
Published February 25th 2021 (first published February 9th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about My Only Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Only Sunshine

Start your review of My Only Sunshine: A Story for Domestic Abuse Survivors
Shereen
Shannon Jump is an amazing writer and story teller. Through out the book you could visualize what was going on with the story. This is her debut novel. This is not a book for the faint of heart as she talks about sexual and physical abuse. I would recommend that any 18+ reads this book. It was so hard to put this book down, its so well written and raw that your heart aches for Brynn through out the book and you just wish for the best for her and the kids. This is a great book to teach those abou ...more
Katie Mettner
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm always nervous when I read a note from the author in the beginning of the book stating that what's to follow is based loosely on their own story because you never quite know what you're going to get. However, in the case of My Only Sunshine, new author Shannon Jump didn't let that stand in her way of telling a story that was filled with honesty, ugliness, joy, pain, addiction, fear, and perseverance.

Brynn is not a character with an untold story. Her story is lived out all over the country a
Alicia (thriller_chick) Rideout
My heart hurt so much reading parts of this. Far too often I could relate to bits of this as I certainly dated all the wrong guys before finding the ONE good one that became my husband.

While reading this story I wanted to scream RUN so many times. But when we are young we often do not listen to reason.
Katy
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was real. Raw and honest. I loved it
Mariëtte Whitcomb
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It really should be possible to give a book 10 stars. This one deserves it!

Ms Jump mixes truth and reality in such a way that it's hard to distinguish where the line falls. However, it doesn't matter. My Only Sunshine is a novel every person has to read. Whether you've been a victim/survivor of domestic abuse, have a loved one in a similar situation, or have teenage/young adult children, this is a must-read.

I connected with Brynn from early on, and it felt as if she was sitting next to me tell
Marian Deegan
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
“Life is short and nobody deserves to live in fear.”

These are the words of Officer Randall to protagonist Brynn Reeves as he hands her his card at the hospital. It is not the first time Brynn has encountered this police officer during a crisis involving her husband. “My Only Sunshine” begins by summarily pulling us into Brynn’s family crisis du jour, with vivid flashbacks that illuminate the ongoing nature of stress and violence in her life.

“How does this happen?” the reader wonders. “And how
Lacepaperlife
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
Reviewing
You Are My Sunshine
By Shannon Jump

Love. It is wild and crazy, untamed and unpredictable, fast and frenzied, and a long slow burn. It always sounds so romantic and exciting but unfortunately, the reality often falls far short of the mark.

In Jump’s debut novel, she dives head first into the dark reality of slow building abuse. She explores the abusers manipulative power to strip away self worth as well as the patterns of joy, sadness, fear, guilt, forgiveness, and the crippling effect
Nik's Nook
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Set in a small town in Minnesota and spanning over twenty years, Brynn Reeves navigates through an abusive marriage, motherhood and friendship while coming to terms with the unexpected path her life has taken. Based loosely on true events, My Only Sunshine is a story of love, determination and strength, filled with raw emotion and kick-you-in-the-gut heartbreak. They said until death do them part; will Brynn find the strength to get out before it's too late?

I'm not going to lie: this was not an
Kelly Cantwell
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Only Sunshine is loosely based on the author’s own experiences so I knew the subject matter would be heavy. The physical and sexual abuse is described graphically - a lot of violence and profanity. While that sort of writing would typically be a turn off for me, I found this a compelling story that I did not want to put down.

This is the story of Brynn Reeves and how she finds her way through an abusive marriage. It is told by the protagonist as she looks back and retells her history with her
Cobie LaJeanne
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
My Only Sunshine by Shannon Jump is a difficult, but important read. The story follows Brynn and her relationship with her abusive, drug addict husband, Nate. The writing is raw and real, and very hard to take in at times. The rollercoaster of events is painful, but Jump has poured everything into this story, making her own life transparent while doing so.

This book is powerful in that it is eye-opening to the abuse that many women and their families go through silently. Brynn's back and forth i
Sandy Lo
Mar 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Only Sunshine is the debut novel by Shannon Jump. Based off Shannon’s own experiences with domestic abuse, the book follows Brynn’s tumultuous marriage with Nathan.

This book is not an easy one to read due to the tough subject matter, but I can imagine how therapeutic this was for the author.

The part that was hard for me to understand was what Brynn saw in Nathan to begin with. He came off as disrespectful and rude right from the beginning, but with Brynn being so young when she met him, I c
Alexa Altman
Apr 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This contemporary fiction novel is loosely based on Shannon Jump’s actual life. The story is about Brynn Reeves who navigates through a horribly abusive marriage, with two children. The story shows Brynn’s strength throughout the novel, and she leaves readers in awe of her determination and love for her family.

This is a story about marriage, abuse, family, friends, and loyalty. Jump will alternate from different years, which helps the reader see the difficulties Brynn experienced. I absolutely
Christopher
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a book starts with a trigger warning, I know I’m in for a very bumpy ride. And y’all, I was. For me, it’s rare when I come across a book that has me feeling every single emotion with every chapter. And I mean it when I said I felt EVERY emotion. I have bawled, I have been angry, I probably threw my kindle because of my frustration, I yelled at the book. I cried happy tears towards the end. I knew domestic abuse was a thing. I just didn’t know and understand how bad it can get. I know here i ...more
Stephanie S
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
What an incredibly moving story; a truly convincing fiction. It is sad to know this story is anywhere near your true story and so many others' but so motivating that you didn't ever let it beat you. I recommend this book to any and all survivors and believe it will continue to impact lives. Don't let anyone take your sunshine away! :) ...more
Carrie Shields
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!
Though published as fiction, this semi-autobiographical account of the cycle of an abusive relationship had me frantically turning the pages to see what new indignities Brynn would have to endure. It's dark, it's brutal, and it's haunting, but it's a stark reality. Too often, victims suffer in silence because of the shame. Friendships fade because of the isolation from the abuser.

Not to be read lightly as there are many trigger warnings including rape, but a necessary, visceral, importan
Katie Nelson
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My Only Sunshine is the best kind of book - a beautiful story, funny & sad all in one masterpiece. This is a page turner that will capture your heart and keep you wanting more after every chapter.
Alisha Delie
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not emotionally stable enough to review this book properly, but I f***ing loved it.
Ashley Heck
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this book down!! It has everything you want in a book- suspense, humor, and raw emotion. Highly recommend for anyone over the age of 18. Truly amazing and I can’t wait to read her next novel!
Beth
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Kris
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It's incredible what manipulation can do to a person's mind, the things you can be convinced to believe.”

My Only Sunshine, based loosely on the authors life experience, is a gut wrenching tale of all of the many ways in which a woman can be abused. Brynn Reeves is young, naive and inexperienced when she meets Nathan. She is swept away initially but quickly sees that there is a darker side to him. Ignoring all advice and voices of concern, Brynn finds herself struggling to hang on to her family
Amanda Jaeger
May 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even sure where to start with this book. I just put it down and I literally feel like I've gone through every emotion possible from start to finish.

I guess I'll start at the end- reading the last word of the last sentence of the last paragraph, I was filled with a huge sense of relief knowing the main character, Brynn, was able to experience the healing she so deserves.

I hated her abuser, and yet I still understood the love for him.

This was so rawly written, I felt as if I were secondha
Meah (thepagesarecalling)
From the first moment I discovered My Only Sunshine, I was intrigued and grateful for so many reasons. Shannon and I connected through work (I’m an assistant) where I was arranging a giveaway. When I reached out, I told her to thank you for writing about a subject that is so incredibly prevalent but still kept locked away in dark shadowy corners. Domestic violence has personally affected my life and I’m a believer that it is a topic that should be discussed more openly when possible and if possi ...more
Shannon Jump
Mar 02, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hello, readers!

Thank you so much for taking a chance on a newbie author! I truly hope you’ve enjoyed My Only Sunshine, and if you did, I’d be forever grateful if you’d leave a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads. It makes such a difference in helping people discover my book; who knows? Your review could be the reason the next reader picks up a copy!

To say that My Only Sunshine was a labor of love would be an understatement. I spent thirteen years (off and on) writing this book and the story insid
Kristina Civille
Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-read-shelf
Brynn is a young woman who falls in love with a handsome guy, Nathan, who has some bad boy tendencies. As their relationship develops and becomes more serious, Nathan only seems to get worse. Brynn is put in a series of situations where she has to make the choice of protecting her family unit or protecting herself.

While this is a work of fiction, the author explains that she is a survivor of domestic abuse and that this story contains some truth and similarities to her own experiences. @sjump42
Diana
Apr 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Kemp
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"My Heart was a Double Agent..." Yes... I can relate to that, and so many other things in Shannon Jump's impressive debut, 'My Only Sunshine.'
Brynn has met Nathan, the "Man of her Dreams" who turns out to be anything but. And even while I wanted Brynn to walk away and leave him in the dust, Jump's writing conveyed the dilemma women sometimes feel at the hands of master manipulators, the hope that 'this time he will change.'
Even though my story differs from Brynn's, in some ways it is very m
Elysia
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

"What I was too naive to understand at the time is that there's a difference between making a marriage work because you genuinely loved and respected one another and making a marriage work because a piece of paper and a guilty conscience told you that you were supposed to."

I want to say thank you to @sjump4203 for sending me a gifted copy of her book. She also sent me the sweetest card, a bookmark, and she signed her book for me. I am so thankful!

My Thoughts:

My Only Sunshine is loosely ba
Lana Orndorff
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brynn's story is heartbreaking, inspiring, and unfortunately for many, very realistic. Jump does a fantastic job of detailing how Brynn goes from young high school graduate to married, pregnant, and abused within a few short years. This story shows how Nathan's emotional instability combined with Brynn's inexperience led to a dangerous situation for her. I think My Only Sunshine is a wonderful read for any and every adult (unless they are triggered by violence and marital rapes scenes, which the ...more
Laura Schoener
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Only Sunshine: A Story for Domestic Abuse Survivors by Shannon Jump

My Only Sunshine is a raw, fictional account based loosely on the author’s real life experiences. The book opens with main character Brynn finding her husband, Nathan, suffering from an apparent overdose. Through past and present day storytelling, the reader comes to learn how Brynn fell in love with Nathan. Brynn’s dependency on Nathan mirrors his dependency on drugs. Struggling with his addiction, Nathan is both physically a
Robyn
Mar 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brynn meets Nathan at a young age. Although there are red flags and her parents hate him, Brynn believes that it can all work out. Unfortunately, it turns out that Nathan is a drug addict and when Brynn becomes pregnant, she’s stuck in a situation that is almost impossible to get out of.
Shannon Jump writes a powerful cautionary tale of what could happen when you enter a relationship with the wrong person. Her words are haunting and hard to read, yet My Only Sunshine is impossible to put down. B

• Dream Catchers: A Rockstar Romance
  • The Four Winds
  • Alex Six
  • Somebody Out There
  • Come Undone (The Cityscape, #1)
  • The Shadow Box
  • The Road Trip
  • Malibu Rising
  • Conversations from the Left, Right, & Heart
  • Dark Roads
Shannon Jump is an avid reader of multiple genres, with a passion for writing and storytelling. She refuses to start the day without the perfect cup of coffee, is a die-hard Minnesota Twins baseball fan and Food Network junkie. She lives in small-town Minnesota with her husband and two teenage kids. My Only Sunshine (contemporary fiction) is her first novel.

Coming Fall 2021: Even Though It's Brea