Start by marking “World War I: The "Great War"” as Want to Read:
World War I: The "Great War"

World War I: The "Great War"

18 CDs
Running Time: 18hrs 45min
Audio CD, unabridged, 19 pages
Published 2006 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about World War I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War I

Cindy Rollins
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwi, lectures
This is a superb course. Dr. Liulevicius is one of my favorite professors teaching on The Great Courses. This set is an indepth look at WWI, an important historical period for understanding our own times. I hope to relisten to these in the future.
Christine
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-wwi, audio
Comprehensive, if not in depth in some places. Enjoyable. Great intro.
Shawn Deal
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Clear, concise, this went far to illuminate all the problems of world war 1, from how the world got into it to the changing of warfare and tactics throughout it, to the problems and challenges left behind after it. Very well done. Highly recommended.
Daniel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good overview of the war if a bit basic and if that was all it was I would of been disappointed. What the lecturer does exceptionally well is give you insight into the social and societal aspects of the war and how these contributed and reflected the war itself. The professors insights into this area make this lecture series worth the time commitment.
Sean Lynn
In World War I: The "Great War" Dr. Liulevicius does not just recount the major battles of WWI, but covers the lead-up, the new technologies, all the fronts, the social and civil implications, and the future ramification of this first global conflict. This is a fantastic course, from the August Madness to the Treaty of Versailles.
David Myers
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
A fascinating series of lectures that helps to tie not only WWI and WWII together but also touches on the echos of "total war" that we still hear today.
Fred
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good history of WWI and one of the best and most well done episodes of the Great Courses that I've gone through so far. I think the series is a great concept and something that more people should get into. I picked this one up from my local library, which is even better since they're stocking these courses now.

If WWI is something you're interested in this is a good choice for novices as well as people already familiar with it. The professor who takes you through it does a great
Tom Rowe
A great series of lectures on The Great War. I like the linkages and connections Prof. Liulevicius makes. It is not a chronological narrative, but very much like a college lecture where different themes and issues are raised. I would recommend following along with the reading list, or barring that, just finding a good chronlogical book on WWI to accompany the lectures.
Laurie Brooks
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I marked this read - but I didn’t really finish it. I will come back to it one day - but right now I am listening to it on audio - and the names and dates are too hard to follow. And it is something that is hard to follow while you are driving. It is actually more of a textbook like book.
Lamadia
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was very informative and all encompassing. The professor is very clear and knows exactly when you need a reminder of something mentioned previously. His style is easy to understand and well organized.
Ken Hamner
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great set of lectures.
David
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great background on what started WWI, how the war went and it's outcomes for the early 20th century down to today. Seems like a very good course.
Ctgt

Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding.
Brian
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Many of the questions of why of the "Great War" were answered. Why did it start, why the trench warfare, more of the western front, the eastern front, naval, geopolitical, political, and how these issue intersected and collided. The assassination of the duke did not cause the war, it was merely an excuse that had been building for decades, especially with the emergence and desire of the German population to be a player in the balance of power of the countries. What was clear and frightening, tha ...more
Richard
I have listened to many The Great Courses over the years and I have always been impressed with their quality and how the topic is covered in depth. One thing that many of these professors manage to achieve is to generate a narrative framework upon which their lectures hang, even for topics such as Particle Physics or Great Ideas of Philosophy. Unfortunately, this course focuses primarily on the causes, impacts, and results of the war without giving a chronological outline of the major events of ...more
Wayne
This was a good overall seminar of World War I. I didn't learn a lot that I didn't already know, but did gleam a few new facts out of it. I had trouble at times staying focused, my mind drifted a lot, but I don't know if that was because I wasn't learning something new or because of the lecture itself.
The lecturer does not give a timeline history of the war, dates and events laid out chronologically. Instead he breaks it up into lectures on different topics in the war. This is a good idea overal
Rachel
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The "Great War" is an excellent overview of the World War I, starting with the events leading up to the August Madness and ending with the rise of fascism in Europe.

Two highlights:

Every time I read about the Christmas eve truce of 1914, it makes me cry. EVERY TIME.

During the war, in England, there was a laboratory called Porton Down, where British scientists were experimenting with new ways for chemical warfare, new types of poison gas, etc, and using test animals. (I know. I imagine it was p
Jim
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tgc
Dr. Liulevicius' presentation (downloaded audio - 36 30 minute lectures) provided a firm basis from which to explore in more detail the causes, events and conclusions of this the world's introduction to modern warfare. The lecturer's even, clear manner was easy to follow, especially aided by online maps and articles (thanks Wikipedia!), and, of course, the trusty old pause button.
I was inspired to listen to these lectures by reading Ken Follett's 'Fall of Giants'...and in turn I am curious to le
Chris Burd
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic offering from Great Courses. Professor Liulevicius provides an incredibly clear presentation of World War I, starting with the state of the world (particularly Europe) before the start of the war and the underlying conditions that made the area a powder keg ready to ignite - and going through to the repercussions of the war, the revolutions sparked in Russia, Germany and Italy, the lead in to WWII and the long-term effects that are still felt today.

Highly recommended for anyone
Oliver Bateman
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent series of lectures on WWI by VG Liulevicius, who teaches at Tennessee. Unlike a lot of other "Great Courses" offerings, this is reasonably "cutting-edge" history, with proper attention paid to social and cultural goings-on (and even on "memory," a hot topic these days). It's also nice that Liulevicius, who is a specialist in Central/Eastern European history, gives the Eastern Front the sort of attention that's sorely lacking in most accessible treatments of this subject. There's a h ...more
David K. Lemons
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm still listening to these tapes narrated by the author. So far, it has encouraged me to read more about THE war. After all, WWII was just a continuation of WWI; Hitler was a mutant of the dark side of the Kaiser: the Cold War and its current aftermath just the ashes and remaining embers of that whole 20th century conflagration, preparing the way through loss of competent Europeans of the migration of alternate cultures and races to take up the mantel. The study of these wars from Napoleon on ...more
Dave
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Professor Liulevicius covers World War I, it's causes, many events, and the aftermath. I had learned about the Great War during Western Civilization in high school, but that was a long time ago, and we didn't cover it in anywhere as much detail. It was very interesting learning about how the war included ideology (we often think of WWII being the first war of ideology), how propaganda was used both effectively and ineffectively, and how everything ended up after the war, including the Soviet Uni ...more
Kirsti
I didn't learn much about World War I in school, so this lecture series helped me fill in the gaps. I was surprised to learn that, although the former Western Front countries consider World War II the "good war" and World War I the long, agonizing, pointless, savage war, in the former Eastern Front countries the situation is reversed. There, World War I is the "good war" because it's how their countries gained independence.
Chris
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwi, greatcourses
This Great Courses series presents a good overview of the First World War in the format of 36 30 minute lectures on various topics about the war. The instructor was engaging. My only complaint would be that the lectures were topical rather than chronological, so it was difficult to get an overall picture of how the war progressed. I would recommend this lecture, but if you are brand new to learning about WWI, I would start with book that lays out the events in a chronological order.
Mary
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-read
I've been watching lectures over the last several months, concurrently with other fiction and non-fiction reading I've been doing about this period of U.S. History. As always, I found The Great Courses lectures informative and helpful in my study. The format is standard lecture and although I used DVDs, it would have worked just as well to use the audio CDs. The course guidebook has a wonderful annotated bibliography from which I've added a few books to my TBR list.
R. August
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent discussion and overview of the main themes of the war. I suppose I was expecting a bit more tactics rather than exclusive strategy, especially with some of the more apocalyptic battles, but I can understand why they weren't included for a work about the whole of the war. Also, very good dealing with the current effects of the war.
Alex
I already knew most of the information presented in this series of lectures so I am left feeling disappointed. The lecturer spoke clearly but I felt like his lectures were very repetitive. I think this could have been ten chapters shorter without having missed anything.
Ross Rawnsley
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fascinating and informative entry in the Great Courses. I have listened to a half dozen or so on a variety of historical subjects, and enjoyed them all.

Professor Liulevicius is a clear and concise speaker, and this is a nice overview of WWI.

Recommended!
Xdw
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lecturer tries a little to hard to impress, but worth a listen.

• The Rise and Fall of the British Empire