Start by marking “More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)” as Want to Read:
More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)

More Tales of the City

(Tales of the City #2)

Inspiration for the Netflix Limited Series, Tales of the City

The second novel in the beloved Tales of the City series, Armistead Maupin’s best-selling San Francisco saga.

The tenants of 28 Barbary Lane have fled their cozy nest for adventures far afield. Mary Ann Singleton finds love at sea with a forgetful stranger, Mona Ramsey discovers her doppelgänger in a desert whoreh
Published May 29th 2007 by Harper Perennial (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about More Tales of the City, please sign up.
Ariel Rogers When someone goes through deep trauma the brain can defend itself against this trauma by blocking it out. Very common with children who have experienc…moreWhen someone goes through deep trauma the brain can defend itself against this trauma by blocking it out. Very common with children who have experienced sexual abuse. (less)

Start your review of More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)
Michael
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A surreal sequel to the first volume of the series, More Tales of the City heightens the stakes of the original: mystery, romance, and drama now feature even more prominently in the intertwining storylines of the residents of 28 Barbary Lane. Maupin established his characters' personalities and their relationship to each other in Tales of the City, and he here has fun placing them in increasingly absurd and convoluted scenarios, be it a brush with a near fatal illness or the revelation of hidden ...more
Fabian
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Armistead Maupin is one of the best summer read writers. His Tales of the City trilogy is part sitcom, part kitsch, melodramatic and historic, irreverent and yet o-so dated, & damn if you cannot recognize his influence in groundbreaking TV, like "Sex and the City" and "Will & Grace". Things are explained, expanded, & the 4 or so separate strands of character destinies intertwine and repel each other at intervals that make the reader anticipate each and every episode. The ridiculousness will tick ...more
Heidi The Reader
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
"For all her trials, she loved it here in San Francisco, and she loved her makeshift family at Mrs. Madrigal's comfy old apartment house on Barbary Lane." pg 11, ebook

All of the characters whom readers loved from the first book (Tales of the City) are back and mixing things up in San Francisco. This soap opera-ish fictional series remains as fast-paced in its second installation as it was from the start.

Mary Ann is still working for Halcyon Communications, which is under new leadership, and has
da AL
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This whole series is comprised of the few books I read multiple times & still love. Audiobook editions are great too! ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t realize how much I had missed Mrs. Madrigal, Mary Ann Singleton, Mona Ramsey, and Michael “Mouse” Tolliver until I began More Tales of the City, Armistead Maupin’s sequel to his spectacular Tales of the City. (Other books had gotten in the way.)

In the sequel, Mary Ann finally meets the man of her dreams — although he has nightmares of his own. Mouse, too, finds love while he narrowly escapes death. And through a serendipitous encounter in the Nevada desert, Mona finds out more about Mrs
Vanessa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Armistead Maupin wrote nine volumes of this episodic series about a group of close-knit San Fransiscans in the 1970’s, but I may be stopping here at book #2. The story and characters continue to be quirky and charming, but Maupin wears his love for melodrama on his...typewriter ribbon sometimes: amnesia as narrative device, a life-threatening illness, a nasty side plot about someone hired to assault a pregnant woman, a silly storyline about a series of voyeuristic coincidences. As much as I love ...more
Emma
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Really love all of Maupins’s work and I was nervous that on a reread this wouldn’t hold up to my memory of it. But it did.
Miss Michael
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read about 250 pages this afternoon after a got off work, bringing me to the end of the book. If that's not a testimonial, I don't know what is.

Maupin is intensely readable. If you read from the Tales of the City series, his characters will become your friends. And, like me, you'll be glad he's written several books featuring them. I can't wait to read the next.

With the first one, I felt intrigue took a back seat to plain old human interest. With this one, the mystery we were left with at the
Mark
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cracking follow-up to the first Tales of the City book. Preposterous as ever, but just as addictive. Maupin manages to tread a fine line between sentimentality and humour. What comes across is the fact that these characters love each other and the reader loves them in turn, becoming a vicarious member of the Barbary Lane family.
What really affected me when I first read these books, as a recently "out" Gay man, was the depiction and template they gave for Gay/Straight relationships. In the book
Kylan
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something so remarkable about the way Armistead Maupin writes. It's so gossipy and intimate and I can't help but want to know more about everyone on Barbary Lane. I said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like I've been given an invite to the biggest gossip session in town, and I've been thrilled with every minute of it.

So great to read more about Mrs Madrigal, Michael, Mona, Brian and yes...Mary-Ann. Oh Mary-Ann, will you ever lose those ol' Connecticut ways?

I can't fault this se
Jack (That English Guy who Reads)
A fulfilling sequel, "More" feels like a maturer, more refined - yet no less hilarious and at times outrageous - style of writing and storytelling from Maupin.

With most characters now well-established there are fewer of the "contrived coincidences" which I so enjoyed from the first novel, but when they do occur they are laugh-out-loud funny. Rather than getting to know each other, the residents of Barbury Lane are secure in their inter-relationships and so they embark on separate, though occasio
Mark Hiser
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Note: I have read this series multiple times; Maupin lifts my spirits and gives me hope.

———-

Like the first book in the series, More Tales of the City began in serial form in the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper. Picking up a few months after the events of the first novel, it continues the story of the inhabitants of 28 Barbary Lane.

In this second of the series, Mona Ramsey, while working the phones at a whorehouse in Nevada, discovers the identity of her father. Around the same time, Mrs. Madr
Trevor
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy reading, and re-reading, the wonderful books in the Tales of the City series.
Anna
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, lgbtqia
The amount of drama in this one is simply ridiculous, but since it rarely happens in my usual reading program, I can pass it. And I also understand that the series was first published in a newspaper, bit by bit, so the reader back then experienced the whole thing slowly and not in the face, like I did.
Forgetting this, my listening was a sheer delight.
What slightly bothered me, though, was the racist language some of the characters used. I understand that this book was written a couple of decades
☆ Annie ☆
...sigh...

Okay. So. This could have been worse, I think...
Possibly?
*sigh some more*
More Tales of The City was the perfect way to keep those people I loved so well from book 1 in my everyday life, there is no denying that. Still, everything moved way too fast, without build-up and in a way that, more often than not, made zero sense. I wish situations were spaced out, better explained, and some all-together completely avoided.
Even so, I can't not admit that Michael, Mona and Mrs. Madrigal belon
Ryan
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i’m living for this series so far! a little messier than the first, but all the love and gayness is overflowing in these pages. i would kill to have friends like the group at 28 barbary lane.

LenaRibka
Audible headphones_icon_1

A soap opera with a high addiction potential.
I've never thought that a novel about MANY different people who continuously bump into each other - it is a small world, my friends - could be so entertaining. But it looks like I can't have enough of Armistead Maupin's crazy creative fantasy.
Natalie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect pandemic reading :)
Ayla
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that explains things lol
Cassie
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: San Francisco Residents, Soap Opera Loves, Readers
Recommended to Cassie by: San Francisco Chronicle
More Tales of the City
by Armistead Maupin

This book continues the characters that are introduced in Tales of the City, which is the first of this particular series. One of the things that makes this particular book interesting is that each chapter is relatively short, so it is quickly read and makes it easy for a reader to find a stopping point when they need to put it down for awhile. The reason for this ease isn't because Maupin wrote them this way as a book, but because the chapters are origi
Bill
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
When I was in college, I had a professor who assigned us "Moby Dick", but suggested we only read specific parts of the book by page number. Those sections, he assured us, would give us the chance to focus on the characters and the narrative and skip some of the less essential parts. I wish someone had given me a similar guide to "More Tales of the City", as there's entire parts of it -- including the bizarrely rushed ending -- that I wish I could have skipped.

As in the first "Tales of the City",
NiaKantorka
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars

This is one of my favourites of the 7 books--that's as far as I have read the series yet. It's hilarious and bizarre. I love how everyone (good or bad, nice or not) is so full of life, even when they seem to be superficial or dumb or selfish. During all the eccentric and exaggerating scenes Maupin portrays people just as they are; everyone has flaws but also many great character traits. That most of the main characters are lbgtqia folks only makes it better.

I'm a cis het white woman bu
Dan
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one is more of a mystery than the first, but that's not really why you're reading, is it? You keep reading to spend some more time with this campy soap opera. "Wait. Can you repeat that again? What's that about Mrs. Madrigal?" "What happened to Michael?!" Cruise ship. Bordello. Twist. ¡Escandalo! Basically, that's the loop going on in my head as I read these books. Love it!

If you liked this, make sure to follow me on Goodreads for more reviews!
Sean Kennedy
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second set of adventures with the residents of Barbary Lane in San Francisco. This is the last 'fun' book before things start to become definitely more weirder and the eighties start to bring in the more tragic plot elements. Although I love the series, Maupin isn't particularly successful at explaining his own continuity - and by that I mean why certain things happen 'between' books, and you're left feeling that that strains credulity more than the bizarre plot twists.
Sara
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I wound up, surprisingly given that I got off to a slow start with it, even more than the last one. I liked how Maupin ties together all the various plot lines and loose ends. This was also a lovely book to finish on Mother's Day as it talks a lot about the relationships between parents and children and what makes a family. Michael's coming out letter to his Mom and Dad was particularly touching.

Andrea
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just as fun to read as the first book in the series, but I rated it even higher because it approached more serious issues of generational homophobia and self-doubt so dang well.

Michael Tolliver's letter to his parents and Mary Ann's confession and guilt about her initial anger toward "wasted" homosexual men both had me in tears. And, of course, the sharp wit of all the characters had me cracking up every other page or so.

Can't wait to read the next one!
Laurie –A Court of Books–
When my friend gave me this book, we had no idea that it was actually the second one of a series. It took me some chapter to get to understand fully each character but I found every one of them so touching. Mouse was my favourite, so funny and honest and a truly good friend to Mary Ann.

The plot was also very catchy and interesting, I really enjoyed this book. And the end... BREATHTAKING
David Schwan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More madcap adventures from the gang at 28 Barbary Lane. The first third of the book starts out a bit slowly but redeems itself after that. Many interesting revelations and plot twists and a few unanswered story lines.
Alex
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As entertaining, warm, and jovial of a read as the first. The chapters breeze by like the wind at Ocean Beach. The characters are a delight and their adventures illustrate vividly what San Francisco life was like in various social circles in the late 1970s.
Greg
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Refreshingly free of any literary aspirations, these short stories are perfect for bedtime, perfect for a quick break during a hectic day, or perfect for an entire afternoon. As the 1970's Disco Decade closes and Maupin takes us into the 80s, days darken in Frisco. Still, memory lane beckons us on.
Armistead Maupin ...: More Tales of the City 1 2 Oct 03, 2017 11:26AM

• The City and the Pillar
  • Sensible Footwear: A Girl's Guide
  • Outside Valentine
  • Southern Discomfort
Armistead Maupin was born in Washington, D.C., in 1944 but grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. A graduate of the University of North Carolina, he served as a naval officer in the Mediterranean and with the River Patrol Force in Vietnam.

Maupin worked as a reporter for a newspaper in Charleston, South Carolina, before being assigned to the San Francisco bureau of the Associated Press in 1971. In 19

Tales of the City (9 books)
  • Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #1)
  • Further Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #3)
  • Babycakes (Tales of the City, #4)
  • Significant Others (Tales of the City, #5)
  • Sure of You (Tales of the City, #6)
  • Michael Tolliver Lives (Tales of the City, #7)
  • Mary Ann in Autumn (Tales of the City, #8)
  • The Days of Anna Madrigal (Tales of the City, #9)