Start by marking “More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)” as Want to Read:
More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)

More Tales of the City

(Tales of the City #2)

Inspiration for the Netflix Limited Series, Tales of the City

The second novel in the beloved Tales of the City series, Armistead Maupin’s best-selling San Francisco saga.

The tenants of 28 Barbary Lane have fled their cozy nest for adventures far afield. Mary Ann Singleton finds love at sea with a forgetful stranger, Mona Ramsey discovers her doppelgänger in a desert whoreh
Published May 29th 2007 by Harper Perennial (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about More Tales of the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Tales of the City

Michael
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A surreal sequel to the first volume of the series, More Tales of the City heightens the stakes of the original: mystery, romance, and drama now feature even more prominently in the intertwining storylines of the residents of 28 Barbary Lane. Maupin established his characters' personalities and their relationship to each other in Tales of the City, and he here has fun placing them in increasingly absurd and convoluted scenarios, be it a brush with a near fatal illness or the revelation of hidden ...more
Fabian
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Armistead Maupin is one of the best summer read writers. His Tales of the City trilogy is part sitcom, part kitsch, melodramatic and historic, irreverent and yet o-so dated, & damn if you cannot recognize his influence in groundbreaking TV, like "Sex and the City" and "Will & Grace". Things are explained, expanded, & the 4 or so separate strands of character destinies intertwine and repel each other at intervals that make the reader anticipate each and every episode. The ridiculousne ...more
Vanessa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Armistead Maupin wrote nine volumes of this episodic series about a group of close-knit San Fransiscans in the 1970’s, but I may be stopping here at book #2. The story and characters continue to be quirky and charming, but Maupin wears his love for melodrama on his...typewriter ribbon sometimes: amnesia as narrative device, a life-threatening illness, a nasty side plot about someone hired to assault a pregnant woman. As much as I love the residents of 28 Barbary Lane (a stand-in for the real Mac ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t realize how much I had missed Mrs. Madrigal, Mary Ann Singleton, Mona Ramsey, and Michael “Mouse” Tolliver until I began More Tales of the City, Armistead Maupin’s sequel to his spectacular Tales of the City. (Other books had gotten in the way.)

In the sequel, Mary Ann finally meets the man of her dreams — although he has nightmares of his own. Mouse, too, finds love while he narrowly escapes death. And through a serendipitous encounter in the Nevada desert, Mona finds out more about Mrs
Mark
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cracking follow-up to the first Tales of the City book. Preposterous as ever, but just as addictive. Maupin manages to tread a fine line between sentimentality and humour. What comes across is the fact that these characters love each other and the reader loves them in turn, becoming a vicarious member of the Barbary Lane family.
What really affected me when I first read these books, as a recently "out" Gay man, was the depiction and template they gave for Gay/Straight relationships. In the book
Miss Michael
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read about 250 pages this afternoon after a got off work, bringing me to the end of the book. If that's not a testimonial, I don't know what is.

Maupin is intensely readable. If you read from the Tales of the City series, his characters will become your friends. And, like me, you'll be glad he's written several books featuring them. I can't wait to read the next.

With the first one, I felt intrigue took a back seat to plain old human interest. With this one, the mystery we were left with at the
Kylan
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something so remarkable about the way Armistead Maupin writes. It's so gossipy and intimate and I can't help but want to know more about everyone on Barbary Lane. I said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like I've been given an invite to the biggest gossip session in town, and I've been thrilled with every minute of it.

So great to read more about Mrs Madrigal, Michael, Mona, Brian and yes...Mary-Ann. Oh Mary-Ann, will you ever lose those ol' Connecticut ways?

I can't fault this se
Anna
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, lgbtqia
The amount of drama in this one is simply ridiculous, but since it rarely happens in my usual reading program, I can pass it. And I also understand that the series was first published in a newspaper, bit by bit, so the reader back then experienced the whole thing slowly and not in the face, like I did.
Forgetting this, my listening was a sheer delight.
What slightly bothered me, though, was the racist language some of the characters used. I understand that this book was written a couple of decades
LenaRibka
Audible headphones_icon_1

A soap opera with a high addiction potential.
I've never thought that a novel about MANY different people who continuously bump into each other - it is a small world, my friends - could be so entertaining. But it looks like I can't have enough of Armistead Maupin's crazy creative fantasy.
Roberta
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, americana, i-own
Questo romanzo fa parte di una serie degli anni Settanta (originariamente pubblicata a puntate, almeno per quanto riguarda i primi libri) scritta da Armistead Maupin. Si tratta di libri ambientati nella San Francisco dello stesso periodo, in cui l'azione ruota intorno agli abitanti del condominio al 28 di Barbary Lane, la cui proprietaria è l'eccentrica Mrs. Madrigal (coltivatrice di marijuana che tratta i suoi affittuari più come figli, e se pensate che questo sia eccentrico, aspettate di legge ...more
Bill
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
When I was in college, I had a professor who assigned us "Moby Dick", but suggested we only read specific parts of the book by page number. Those sections, he assured us, would give us the chance to focus on the characters and the narrative and skip some of the less essential parts. I wish someone had given me a similar guide to "More Tales of the City", as there's entire parts of it -- including the bizarrely rushed ending -- that I wish I could have skipped.

As in the first "Tales of the City",
Sara
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I wound up, surprisingly given that I got off to a slow start with it, even more than the last one. I liked how Maupin ties together all the various plot lines and loose ends. This was also a lovely book to finish on Mother's Day as it talks a lot about the relationships between parents and children and what makes a family. Michael's coming out letter to his Mom and Dad was particularly touching.

Laurie –A Court of Books–
When my friend gave me this book, we had no idea that it was actually the second one of a series. It took me some chapter to get to understand fully each character but I found every one of them so touching. Mouse was my favorite, so funny and honest and a truly good friend to Mary Ann.

The plot was also very catchy and interesting, I really enjoyed this book. And the end... BREATH TAKING
David Schwan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More madcap adventures from the gang at 28 Barbary Lane. The first third of the book starts out a bit slowly but redeems itself after that. Many interesting revelations and plot twists and a few unanswered story lines.
Greg
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Refreshingly free of any literary aspirations, these short stories are perfect for bedtime, perfect for a quick break during a hectic day, or perfect for an entire afternoon. As the 1970's Disco Decade closes and Maupin takes us into the 80s, days darken in Frisco. Still, memory lane beckons us on.
Allie Riley
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly more macabre than the first one in places but still utterly fabulous. I *need* to read the rest of this wonderful series.
Jose Leal
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Clemens
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americans
Der zweite Band der Stadtgeschichten setzt zeitlich nur wenige Wochen nach Band eins ein. Die Protagonisten bleiben die selben. Es kommen zwei, drei neue Figuren hinzu, aber zugleich verabschieden sich auch welche aus der Handlung.
Maupin greift viele Handlungsfäden auf und spinnt sie weiter. Zugleich enthüllt er Geheimnisse und macht Andeutungen, die den Leser automatisch zwingen, gleich zum dritten Band zu greifen.
Eve Kay
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gayness, favorites
The characters are just the best and that's why I keep lovin' it.
The beginning felt somewhat forced and not flowing at all. It took me a while to get into the story. There was alot of that "Previously on Tales of the City".
The ending made up for all of it, it was excellent. I think I'm getting the knack for these, you need to have a certain kind of twisted sense of humour and a twinkle in your eye to appreciate these.
I think I want another one!
Rebecca
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining! Funny. A weird, twisty, San Francisco soap opera.
Bonnie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second book of the series is better than the first. More than once I had to say to myself, "I didn't see that coming." This is a delightful, wonderful and satisfying read, I highly recommend it.
Amy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Madrigal, Mona, Brian, Michael and Mary Ann are like old friends. I love reading of their escapades.
Ahc
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Holy moly this book ended extremely strangely. This sequel very much reads like a series of short newspaper columns meant for high drama and less reliance on plot.
Armin
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Zweiter Teil des mit leichter Hand und mit viel Mut zur Lücke zusammengetackerten Zyklus über swinging San Francisco in dem grenzenlose Promiskuität und political Correctness den Ton angeben.
Beim endgültigen Zuklappen des Buches lag das Patchwork bei gefühlten drei Sternen, doch der vollkommen unangemessene Vergleich mit Balzac auf der Rückseite weckt bei mir heftige Einsternreflexe. Andererseits lese ich den Zyklus ja auch, um die Untergrenzen beim mehrsträngigen Erzählen auszuloten und staune
Andres
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Even though it's been more than a month since I finished the first book in the series I didn't have any problem diving back into the lives of the residents at 28 Barbary Lane. Picking up not long after the end of the previous volume, the story swings into action with gentle reminders of what happened before while moving ahead swiftly into the comic doings of most everyone from before and introducing some new folks.

The dark turn of events from before is dealt with in a completely believable manne
Cassie
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: San Francisco Residents, Soap Opera Loves, Readers
Recommended to Cassie by: San Francisco Chronicle
More Tales of the City
by Armistead Maupin

This book continues the characters that are introduced in Tales of the City, which is the first of this particular series. One of the things that makes this particular book interesting is that each chapter is relatively short, so it is quickly read and makes it easy for a reader to find a stopping point when they need to put it down for awhile. The reason for this ease isn't because Maupin wrote them this way as a book, but because the chapters are origi
Trudie
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Maupin must have wanted to write a mystery and decided to put it inside the context of the sequel to Tales of the City. I like the idea of going from genre to genre using the same characters and setting.
His books make me nostalgic for the 70's and remind me of the three trips I took to SF during that time. My youngest daughter lives there now. A big piece of my heart is in San Francisco and she's not wearing flowers in her hair. If I were funny, I'd like to funny like Michael Tolliver. I think
David Gallagher
Didn't love it as much as the first one, but then again, the first one came to me under different circumstances. It still remains a loved book in a loved series of books, however.

The characters we know are all still there, some old ones leave, new ones are introduced and life goes on hysterically and unexpectedly and hilariously on 28 Barbary Lane. Armistead Maupin is a man of relative genius and his pen, although simple, sure is the reason for laughter and surprised expressions.

The new twists
_inbetween_
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Disliked first quarter, since it excluded me like many (gay or het) books; then Maupin inserted some moping out of the blue (p. 77 and 119 has Michael long for someone and state the truth that only those not caring about it are never alone) and I remembered that I had liked the end of the first book - he seems to do that in each one, throw in some extreme crime/thriller thing. Doesn't make the writing better, or a novel out of the short fragments. Wish I had less other books to read, incl. five ...more
Dan
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one is more of a mystery than the first, but that's not really why you're reading, is it? You keep reading to spend some more time with this campy soap opera. "Wait. Can you repeat that again? What's that about Mrs. Madrigal?" "What happened to Michael?!" Cruise ship. Bordello. Twist. ¡Escandalo! Basically, that's the loop going on in my head as I read these books. Love it!

If you liked this, make sure to follow me on Goodreads for more reviews!
Armistead Maupin ...: More Tales of the City 1 1 Oct 03, 2017 11:26AM
Goodreads Librari...: page count for 0060924799 2 15 Mar 04, 2016 01:58AM
Armistead Maupin ...: More Tales of the City 1 1 Oct 27, 2014 06:09PM

• The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • Equal Affections
  • Afterlife
  • The Beauty of Men
  • Like People in History
  • I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore (The Buddies Cycle #1)
  • Kept Boy
  • The Men from the Boys (Jeff & Lloyd, #1)
  • Harlan's Race (Harlan's Story, #2)
  • Blue Heaven
  • The Beautiful Room Is Empty
  • Conduct Unbecoming: Gays and Lesbians in the Us Military
  • Openly Bob
  • Death Claims (Dave Brandstetter, #2)
  • What We Remember
  • Band Fags!
  • Goldenboy (Henry Rios Mystery, #2)
Armistead Maupin was born in Washington, D.C., in 1944 but grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. A graduate of the University of North Carolina, he served as a naval officer in the Mediterranean and with the River Patrol Force in Vietnam.

Maupin worked as a reporter for a newspaper in Charleston, South Carolina, before being assigned to the San Francisco bureau of the Associated Press in 1971. In 19

Tales of the City (9 books)
  • Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #1)
  • Further Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #3)
  • Babycakes (Tales of the City, #4)
  • Significant Others (Tales of the City, #5)
  • Sure of You (Tales of the City, #6)
  • Michael Tolliver Lives (Tales of the City, #7)
  • Mary Ann in Autumn (Tales of the City, #8)
  • The Days of Anna Madrigal (Tales of the City, #9)
“Laugh all you want and cry all you want and whistle at pretty men in the street and to hell with anybody who thinks you're a damned fool!” 2154 likes
“Oh, Mona, we're all damned fools! Some of us just have more fun with it than others. Loosen up, dear! Don't be so afraid to cry . . . or laugh, for that matter. Laugh all you want and cry all you want and whistle at pretty men in the street and to hell with anybody who thinks you're a damned fool!” 29 likes