Start by marking “The Road Trip” as Want to Read:
The Road Trip

The Road Trip

Two exes reach a new level of awkward when forced to take a road trip together in this endearing and humorous novel by the author of the international bestseller The Flatshare.

What if the end of the road is just the beginning?

Four years ago, Dylan and Addie fell in love under the Provence sun. Wealthy Oxford student Dylan was staying at his friend Cherry's enormous French
Expected publication: June 1st 2021 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Road Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Trip

Start your review of The Road Trip
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! A trip to a wedding trapped in a car with your over protective sister, a random guy you found on Facebook, your ex who broke your heart into pieces and his bestie who did everything in his power to force two of you break up!
Good luck Addie!

Did you like the idea of ex lovers- new enemies’ longest road trip with one of the most disturbing chaperones! Oh, this is just the beginning! Things will get messier! I can guarantee that!

This will be longest trip of yours filled with grudge, resentme
Jayme
Mar 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, rom_com
While I would happily FLATSHARE with Tiffy, or SWITCH lives for the summer with Eileen or Leena, I cannot say that I would want to take a road trip with this bunch!

I liked Addie and her sister, Deb and I could probably sing along with them in the MINI COOPER and tolerate the “random wedding guest” Rodney, who was along for the ride.

But, there is no way, that I could spend that much time with Dylan’s best mate, Marcus, who was driving in the BMW with him.

This is a SECOND CHANCE romance for Add
Tina
This is a Romance/Women's Fiction/Chick-Lit. I have loved the other two books I read by Beth O'Leary, so I had high hopes for this one. I am sad to say I really did not enjoy this book, but I did finish the book. If I did not have an ARC of this book I would have DNF this book. I was bored while reading most of this book, but there was a few funny parts that made me laugh. I have to say this Now and Then time line this book follows drove me crazy, and I also felt that some of the jumps from Now ...more
Beth
May 23, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
09.12.2020

I’ve just seen the synopsis, I am ready for this.

————
I have no idea what this is about... I see Beth O’Leary it is now an auto buy.
✨ A ✨
I'm not usually a fan of road trip books but this is Beth O'leary so... *smashes want to read button*

Also — SECOND CHANCE ROMANCE?? Y'all know that's my weakness

• Release date: 29 April 2021 •
Michael David
Two exes forced to take a road trip together? What’s not to love? More than I’d hoped, unfortunately.

Addie and her sister, Deb, are on their way to Scotland for their best friend’s wedding. They are all set to have a fantastic road trip with awesome music and delicious snacks...and an odd man named Rodney in the backseat. That is, until they are rear ended by Addie’s ex, Dylan. He and his best friend, Marcus, are also going to the wedding. Addie hasn’t set sight on him since their breakup two y
Corina
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dropped everything for this book and it did not disappoint.

Full review to come

___________________________________

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. My opinions have not been influenced by the publisher or the author.

Find more reviews and book recommendations on my blog
Follow me on Bookstagram

Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

In the early hours of the morning, Dylan and his friend Marcus have set off early to attend their friend’s wedding in Scotland. When Dylan becomes distracted by the sight of the woman in the mini in front of them, convinced it is his ex-girlfriend Addie who he hasn’t spoken to in two years after a bad break-up, he ends up driving into the back of the car.

Turns out he was right, it is Addie and her sister Deb and passenger Rodney, who were also on the way
Javier
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review published in: https://diagnosisbookaholic.blogspot....

3,5 ⭐️

When after several months pending my request for "The road trip" was approved on NetGalley I was ecstatic. Last year I read "The Switch" and I was truly Eileened, becoming one of my favorite reads of 2020. I was hoping for a similar experience this year but sadly I can't say this one is at the same level. While it was enjoyable and I was not bored at all, neither the story nor the characters oozed the same kind of charm her previ
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Come on, give it to me : )

Larry H
Apr 03, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
3.5 stars.

Can forced proximity help a former couple recapture the magic or will it just make things worse? This is the question addressed in Beth O'Leary's new book, The Road Trip .

Dylan and Addie were in love. It was an intense relationship, but Dylan’s indecisiveness about his future and his constantly choosing his longtime best friend Marcus, who had wanted nothing more than to break them up from the start, dooms them. But when a betrayal occurs, it shatters everything.

Two years later, the
Anika  | Chapters of May
Check out the full review here

I was fortunate enough to receive an annotated ARC of The Road Trip from Beth O’Leary, and I can’t begin to describe my excitement for another one of her love stories. Both The Flatshare and The Switch (review) are beautifully heart-warming reads, so my expectations for The Road Trip were high. And unsurprisingly, they were met.

The Road Trip starts straight away. No lingering or lazy introductions, it’s just crash, Dylan and Addie are face to face. Again. I’m no
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Big fan of The Switch and The Flat Share so I was excited for the Road Trip. It was the fun read that I needed and I devoured it in 2 days of reading. I loved the dynamics of the people in the car, a mix of people that you would not want to spend a very long car trip with

It has been almost 2 years since Addie and Dylan broke up, breaking off contact with each other completely. But a cruel twist of fate sees them together again, along with Dylan's best mate Marcus, who never thought Addie was rig
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Actual rating 4.5

Rep: mc with depression, biracial British Ghanaian side character, gay side character, British Indian side character

CWs: alcohol abuse, drug use, attempted rape, emotional abuse

Galley provided by publisher

The Road Trip is basically pure chaos in book form. You realise this from about the first chapter when you work out just who is on the eponymous road trip and from then on, the present day story is a complete ride. There is, of course, also heavier parts to the s
Stuart McCarthy
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to get a digital ARC of this and boy was I excited! I read most of it in a single afternoon because I just couldn't get enough. The writing is on par with everything else Beth O'Leary has written, in short, BRILLIANT! Whenever I find myself feeling down I know I can find comfort by opening one of her books. Jumping perspectives between two main characters, and between the past and the present. Beth O'Leary brings the characters of Addie and Dylan to life so well that you can't ...more
On the Same Page
ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this would be 3 stars but now that I'm thinking about writing the review, it's definitely 2.5 stars.

TW: sexual assault, alcoholism, stalking

When a book is heavily focused on two characters and the relationship between them, it's really important to connect with said characters. If that doesn't happen, the book will feel like a chore to get through, and unfortunately that was the case for me here.

The book s
Anni
Mar 22, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five disparate people (including two ex-lovers) squashed in a MiniCooper travelling from Brighton to Scotland - what could possibly go wrong? The answer is - just about everything, as you would expect, given the character dynamics. The ‘will they, won’t they get together again’ romantic scenario is played nicely with flashbacks to their previous relationship, and there’s much extra intrigue on the side to keep the interest flowing to the end.

Thanks to the publisher for the ARC via NetGalley.
A Paperback Life
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
This is part road trip story, part exploration of how these two people's relationship imploded.

Picture this: you’re on a road trip with your sister to a friend's wedding. Life has a wicked sense of humor, and you end up having to drive your ex-boyfriend and his best friend, who you haven’t seen in nearly two years. Let’s just say it wasn’t an easy split, and now your both stuck in a car. Fun.

Alternating between past and present, we get to unravel how Addies and Dylan’s relationship started and
Bandita
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of two exes, Addie and Dylan, who are forced to take a road trip together to their mutual friend’s wedding after one of them crashes into the other’s car. Accompanying them are Addie’s sister, Deb, and Dylan’s best friend, Marcus, and an outsider, Rodney. This was not the road trip Addie and Deb planned for. They planned their playlist and snacks, not bumping into Addie’s ex, Dylan. This is an unexpected turn of events. This is an explosive combination of people and things star ...more
Cody
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I just adored this, definitely my fave of Beth’s books. I loved switching between past and present timeline’s providing so much insight and then changing just as things slowly start to unravel and reveal themselves. I was hooked from the beginning and was reading way into the wee hours desperate to finish. Utterly brilliant and so full of love and hope.
Rachael Johns
Absolutely loved this gem of a book. The twist of Rodney was classic. Beth O’Leary writes such warm but real characters. You can’t help but want to barrack for them, even those with serious issues.
Alice Ashcroft
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(I was sent this book for free but the review is entirely my own.)

I was so so excited when this came through my door yesterday afternoon. I absolutely love Beth’s writing and I was so intrigued by the premise of this book.

The story follows an ex-couple, their friends and a stranger on a road trip up to Scotland for a wedding, and it explores the messy history they all have.

I read this book in less than 24 hours,which probably says a lot about how much I loved it. It had the easy to read style I
Hannah Kate Rimmer
I loved this book so much. Definitely my favourite one by Beth O’Leary so far and I loved her other two as well.

I loved all the characters in this, and the depth they all brought to the story, and I really enjoyed the hopping back and forth between the past and the present.

It’s funny, warm, moving and just so feel-good that’s definitely needed right now.

I also loved the getting lost in a normal world where you can go on road trips with friends and go on summer holidays. That felt so good to b
SSShafiq
Jan 24, 2021 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, misc-fiction
Jan 2021

Her sophomore book, The Switch, was great for me so I’m going to add this to me TBR in great anticipation. This one seems more romance but the marketing on her books is so misleading sometimes. Her story have strong romantic elements but are usually focused less in a romance and more on other topics. I love that
Fatima Zubair
Because it's Beth O'Leary we are talking about here! Can't wait till April 2021 though.... ...more
Stephanie
I really enjoyed the chemistry and connection between Dylan and Addie. This book has some wonderful themes of redemption and forgiveness, with some funny hijinks sprinkled throughout and a lovable cast of characters. I STRONGLY disliked Marcus so much that it made it hard to enjoy the book but the ending redeemed him for me a bit.

3.5 stars.

Thanks to Berkley and NetGalley for a complementary copy of this novel. All opinions are my own.
Emer (A Little Haze)
This is a review I never thought I’d write. I absolutely adored Beth O’Leary’s first two novels. I was privileged to read them both through NetGalley, I raved about them to pretty much all and sundry, and bought copies of both as gifts for members of my family.

And so I was extremely excited for The Road Trip. I firmly believed it would be one of my favourites of 2021...

But things didn’t work out like I’d planned.

I ended up hating it. Oof that sounds so cruel to say. So harsh. But this book and
Isabella | ilashreads
I've been a fan of Beth O'Leary since reading The Switch. Needless to say, I was excited to read The Road Trip.

CW: sexual abuse, threat of rape, stalking

The Road Trip opens with a bang, er a crash. Dylan and his friend Marcus have left for their friend’s wedding in Scotland. Dylan catches sight of the woman in the mini in front of them, and is convinced it is his ex-girlfriend Addie. Whom he hasn’t spoken to in two years after a bad break-up. This distraction leads to him driving into the back o
Sophie Ann
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
4.75⭐
I loved this one! It was light-hearted and funny - It genuinely made me laugh out loud at times. It was written perfectly, right down to the little details.
I loved the characters and the development in them all, even the side characters had their own stories but nothing got confusing and it all made sense.
I loved how the characters had flaws and those flaws and harder topics were dealt with and handled really well, they werent glossed over or shied away from.
I think Beth O'Leary is goin
Anjali (bookstersisters)
To say I had high expectations for this book would have been an understatement. But unfortunately it not only didn’t live upto but I had to struggle quite hard to even finish the books. The characters felt very shallow and superficial. The romance was something along the lines of insta love which I hate. So all in all not a book I enjoyed or would recommend but if you are a fan of Beth O Leary, you can maybe give it a try.

• The Summer Job
  • Hostage
  • The Wife Who Got a Life
  • Dog Days
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
Beth studied English at university before going into children’s publishing. She lives as close to the countryside as she can get while still being within reach of London, and wrote her first novel, The Flatshare, on her train journey to and from work.
You’ll usually find her curled up with a book, a cup of tea, and several woolly jumpers (whatever the weather).

Articles featuring this book

Whether your pleasure is headstrong historical heroines, foodie love stories, or old friends realizing they want to bang, spring's new romances...