Jump to ratings and reviews

Immortal Loves

The Greeks have eight forms of love, and the gods of Olympus will have to face them all...

305 pages, ebook

8 books11 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews
Profile Image for Rosh.
1,293 reviews1,004 followers
March 11, 2021
Immortal Loves tells us of various Greek gods and their "love" stories. The love in the title doesn't just indicates romance. On the contrary, the 23 stories are divided across various sub-categories such as romantic love, affectionate love, selfless love, familial love, obsessive love, and so on. All these categories are based on the 8 kinds of love as per Greek mythology. So the concept of the book is very interesting. Some of the stories have even been transported to a modern day setting which adds to the fun.

Unfortunately, as there are distinct writers for each of the stories, the overall standard isn't the same. I loved the 4 stories under the Romantic love segment, not because of the romance factor but because of how brilliantly they were written. The stories were innovative and captivating from start to end. As this was the very first section of the book, it raised the bar of expectations to an exceedingly high level. The rest of the book simply couldn't match up hereafter, though there were a few gems scattered in between the mostly average works. Luckily, the book ends with a bang as the very last section, Unrequited Love, is fabulous.

The stories that worked were a mix of various feelings such as romance, humour, disappointments and thrills. Some of these would work wonderfully as novels/novellas. The stories that didn’t work either had characters that I couldn’t click with, or were simply too boring. (I even DNFed a couple of the stories, something I rarely do in anthologies.)

These were the stories I enjoyed in the book:
🔸Immortals Shouldn't Date by Melissa Stoddart
🔸The Long Way Home by CJ Landry
🔸Thanatos & the Black Peppermints by Marc Tizura
🔸Black Hearts by Moxie Malone
🔸Cyrano De Eros by Kelsey Anne Lovelady

(14/23 = 60.8% = 3 stars)

If only a greater part of the book had matched the standards of these few stories, it would have been a delight to read. Still, these stories are fabulous and I did enjoy them thoroughly. You might enjoy this collection if you like anthologies and/or Greek mythology.

Thank you, NetGalley and Rewritten Realms, for the Advanced Review Copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

***********************
Join me on the Facebook group, Readers Forever! , for more reviews, book-related discussions and fun.
Follow me on Instagram: RoshReviews
Profile Image for Marc Tizura.
Author 8 books27 followers
January 14, 2021
What is love!

The Gods from inthepantheon.com face the eight different forms of Greek love in fantastic fashion. A must read for everyone
Profile Image for Lulu.
112 reviews28 followers
March 6, 2021
Rating: 2 stars

As a collection of short stories, each story was unique in its own way and a pleasurable read for anyone who enjoys mythology. However, I did find this hard to get into simply because as they were only short stories, there wasn’t really the chance for the characters to develop any depth and I didn’t feel any sort of connection to them. The romance also felt lacking at some points and really, I just expected there to be more.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for B.T. Harris.
Author 6 books4 followers
March 14, 2021
Magical. Deep. Deliciously Heartstruck.

From Immortal Fears to Immortal Loves, the scribes from In the Pantheon strikes again straight in the heart, and I cannot wait for the next anthology
Profile Image for M.E. Aster.
Author 4 books39 followers
July 29, 2022
(Actual rating: 2.5 stars)

Immortal Loves is a collection of short stories featuring all kinds of love, and not just romantic love, along with a host of gods and goddesses in the starring roles.

I loved the concept of this collection, but sadly a lot of these stories feel short for me. Although they all had unique plots and characters, I felt that many of them would work much better as longer novels or novellas and that their message wasn’t conveyed as well through a short story.

I enjoyed a few of these stories, but overall I found myself unable to connect to most of the characters in the segments which left me unable to relate to their plights.
Profile Image for Piyusha Vir.
Author 8 books22 followers
February 14, 2021
This was my first introduction to Greek mythology (if you don't count computer games like Age of Empires) and I am glad that I read this modern retelling of such interesting stories.
February 1, 2021
This book is composed of short stories of various different gods such as Hermès, Aphrodite, and Poseidon! The short stories does not offer much detailed but it was very fun to read a couple of short stories a day.

Unfortunately because this book is composed of short stories, I wasn’t as involved with the characters and there wasn’t much background to work with. Other than that, I loved every single story. It was magical and full of romance which really helped.

This book is a collaboration between 15+ authors who wrote their own short stories.

My favorite short story has to be Thanatos & the Black Peppermints by Marc Tizura. This short story is beautiful and very unexpected.

If you love Greek mythology, short stories, and romance with a bit of mystery, then this book is perfect for you!!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/ 5

Thank you Rewritten Realms, LLC and NetGalley for this eARC!
Profile Image for Staphy.
158 reviews6 followers
March 8, 2021
My thanks to all the authors, Rewritten Realms, and Netgalley for the opportunity to get this ARC for an unbiased review.

To begin, this anthology caught my attention by the theme of Greek mythology with the combination of romance. Each story is about a specific god and a type of love, pay attention to this, I thought it would be a romance but it was not like that. There are some stories focused on parental or brotherly love, it's not necessarily romantic per see, personally it bothers me a bit because the premise of the book was about romance and the truth is that we had almost no romance. My other problem with the book was that the stories (most of them) were too short and it was kind of hard to connect with most of the characters. Still, it was a quick read and I met new authors that I hope to read soon. Next, I will put my opinion and the rating of each story.

Immortals Shouldn't Come Out By Melissa Stoddart
3⭐
This first story is about the deity Erebus and his relationship with Atë, in general, it's a beautiful story of how they have a date, but I would like to know the past of both, I don't know if it will be part of a series or will have its own book. It was good but forgettable honestly, although I liked both characters.

An Inconvenient Attachment by Amber Albright
2.5⭐
This story is the continuation of the previous one, in this case, it is about Atë and how she feels about her relationship with Erebus, it was somewhat dramatic and even funny for that, but it can be better.

When Past Love Returns by Rainbow Brubaker
2⭐
This story could have a lot of potentials but it was too hasty and I could not connect with any of the characters, the story is about how Athena and Medusa meet again in the future as policemen and have a date, it was basically that. If there weren't some unnecessary descriptions the story could have developed further.

What Price Mortal Love? by Teresa Watson
3⭐
This story was sad and somewhat tragic, although it kept me entertained I felt that it was very abrupt and fast, again I didn't feel anything for the characters. The story in question is about Ares and his girlfriend Cassandra , he decides to go to war for revenge and tries to overcome what he suffered.

A Week in Korinth by Natalie Bartley
3⭐
The story is about Amphitrite, Poseidon's wife, who is tired of waiting for him and decides to go looking for him and on the way she meets a young woman who ends up being important to her, she helps her find love and basically that's everything. I must say that the story interested me but it was somewhat boring, I expected more.

The Centaur & The Maiden by Georgia L. Moody
3⭐
This story was kind of weird but cute. It's about Hestia and Chiron the minotaur, and what their relationship was like over the years, the story was pretty nostalgic and I would have liked a different ending. But overall I quite liked it.

The Return of Justice by JayLynn Watkins
4⭐
I think this story was my favorite of all, it touches on issues of femicide and power, it is about Dikê the goddess of justice, and how after disappearing she returns to earth with hope that people have changed, only to realize that they got worse. What can I say, the story is realistic and tragic, I liked the connection between Dikê and Carla, I would like this to be a book so that the story can develop more.
I watched and waited for the world to be ready for justice again. That time never came.

The Demons in Dreams by Jeanette Rose
2⭐
The story focuses on Clio and Eros, specifically Eros's nightmares and how he tries to control himself so as to not harm his beloved, the story is good but it didn't grab me, it was somewhat repetitive.

His Nightmares by Alice Callisto
The previous story continues here.

For the Love of Wine by Peter Farmer
Honestly boring.

Tortured Love by D.M. White
4⭐
Another of my favorites, this story focuses on Prometheus the titan and how he created humans, it was a sad and tragic story. Not only does he tell us how his creations but also how they were corrupted by Pandora's curiosity. Very good story, I liked it.

New Moon Rising by Rashmi P. Menon
3.5⭐
The story is about Artemis and how she suffers the loss of her beloved, and with it her relationship with her twin brother. With this, she meets Selene for certain reasons and ends up falling in love with her. The story was nice and entertaining, I would like to see it developed a little bit more.

Love & Loss: A Mother's Grief by Ashlyn Gray
3⭐
The story tells us Demeter's point of view when she lost her daughter, personally, I don't like her story in general so I didn't like it, although the story is very good.

Love in Moonlight by Renee Christian
It's the continuation of the New Moon Raising story, honestly, it could be better.

Hidden Obsession by Jennifer Morton
3⭐
This is the continuation of When Past Love Return, from the point of view of Medusa, who ends up being kidnapped by a psychopath. The story was somewhat dramatic and even funny because of that, it could have been much better because it has potential, but in general, it entertained me.

Morrigan Mania by Jason Elmassian
1⭐
I honestly don't know what the story was about, it didn't make any sense and it was boring.

Tales of Duck by Aisling MacKay
3⭐
This was a very nice story, I liked it a lot, Ky’Elli and the kit were very cute. It was a nice short story.

Springtime at the Mermaid's Tale by Nikki Crump-Hansted
3⭐
This was another cute story of a complicated birth, it entertained me, it was cute and a little bit funny.

The Long Way Home by CJ Landry
2.5⭐
This story focuses on how Hera married Zeus, honestly, Hera's story was sad because of her relationship with Zeus (the god I like the least), but I expected much more from them, in general, it could be better.

The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me by Dan Dolan
1⭐
I literally don't know what I read, it kept me confused the whole time and the story didn't make sense.

Thanatos & the Black Peppermints by Marc Tizura
3⭐
This story started out being somewhat sad and ended up being very cute and tender, I would like to see it as a longer story, I really like it.

Black Hearts by Moxie Malone
3⭐
This story is a different point of view from the previous story, we learned who sent the gift, but it was very sad. I personally expected a happier ending.

Cyrano De Eros by Kelsey Anne Lovelady
3.5⭐
This story is about Adestria and how she makes a fool of herself with a man who thought she had feelings for her, I don't know what to think, I really thought it would be a nice story and it wasn't that at all. Overall it entertained me and was fun.

Is this book for you?

Perfect for: Lovers of anthologies, Greek mythology, and short histories.
Do I recommend it? Yes.
Profile Image for KayleyHearts.
92 reviews10 followers
March 14, 2021
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an arc copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

Sadly for me this book was a DNF. I don't put books down and not finish them very often but 33% of the way into the book I realised that this style of book in this context just did not work for me. I was initially drawn to this title because it was a collection of short stories about, as the title suggests, 'Immortal Loves'. However, very quickly I realised that you are thrown straight into the story and not given a lot of background and just as quickly as the story started it ended and we were being introduced to new characters. There were a lot of characters in this book and I found myself having to put the book down to try and wrap my head around the story I had just read before starting the next one. That would have been fine, however, I simply did not care about these characters and the romance fell flat for me and the reason I felt this is because they are short stories.

This was a really interesting concept but personally for me there just wasn't enough of each story to feel satisfied and I didn't connect with the book at all.
42 reviews7 followers
October 9, 2021
I loved the variety of stories about the ancient Greek Gods.

Some are set in modern times, with the gods fighting and loving across a variety of modern settings. Others are set in ancient times.

Some feature romantic love; others feature the love of a parent for a child.

Some feature stories that I (personally) was not familiar with; others are a retelling of ancient tales with a new twist.

So many great stories, but to pick on a few:

New Moon Rising by Rasmi P Menon - beautiful recounting of losing one love, struggling with grief and guilt and then finding a new, different love. Will resonate with many.

Hidden Obsession by Jennifer Morton - Medusa is living in modern-day society, with snakes hissing or under control Then a deranged stalker threatens ...

Love and Loss by Ashlyn Grey - a mother's love for her daughter is explored. Heart tugging!

A lovely, long, satisfying read.
Profile Image for Moxie Malone.
Author 5 books127 followers
March 20, 2021
Another delightful anthology from Rewritten Realms and the authors from the online magazine In the Pantheon.

This anthology covers the 8 types of love named by the Greeks. Some stories are amusing, some sad, some heart-warming, some steamy. Like a heart-shaped box of Valentine's chocolates, you will find more than a few tasty treats.

Like any anthology, some stories will appeal more than others, and that might be especially true with this one since there are eight different forms of love which means there isn't always a happy ending. Chances are though, you'll find a new favorite love story and possibly a new favorite author to follow.

Lovely cover, layout, and very well edited. Kudos to everyone!
Profile Image for Mina.
211 reviews3 followers
January 27, 2021
Thank the publisher and NetGalley for this eArc.

A quircky set of stories! What if Greek gods lived now, among us? Cute stories about different couples and their exploitation of both word they are now a part of and gods around them. Urban fantasy romance is what you can expect, fast and interesting read.
However, book also struggles with emotion, for a romance I definitely wasn’t engaged or invested into these characters. I was really hoping for more.
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.