Start by marking “Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend” as Want to Read:
Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend

Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend

(Scaredy Squirrel #2)

That lovable little worrywart is back. And he's as scaredy as ever! In his latest adventure, Scaredy Squirrel sets out to make The Perfect Friend.

And once he's spotted a perfectly safe candidate (with no teeth), Scaredy's ready. Armed with a name tag, mittens, a mirror and a lemon, he's prepared to make The Perfect First Impression. But just when every detail is under
Published March 1st 2007 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend

Start your review of Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend
Starjustin
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
'Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend' is the second in the Scaredy Squirrel series and just as much fun as the first book. I am giving it 5 stars as it teaches a very important lesson with the cute illustrations and characters. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Charity
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My four-year-old says this book is "powerful and sweet." I should really get this kid his own Goodreads profile.

(The star rating is mine. My son would give it five, but I knock off one star for every thirty times I've read a book.)
Shawn Deal
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The most prepared squirrel in squirrelkind, sets off and makes a friend.
Lisa Vegan
I was afraid that Scaredy Squirrel might be a one hit wonder book, but I think I liked this one even more than the first book. I was chortling aloud at times. As a dog lover, I loved the dog in this book. Scaredy Squirrel is a wonderful character and Mélanie Watt is very funny, a good writer and illustrator, and I’m looking forward to reading books three and four.

As with the first book, the author biography and author "photo" illustration on the back inside cover of the book are charming and
Rosa
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rosa by: Sahil Kumar
I cannot begin to express the magnificence of this extraordinary book; it embodies absolutely everything a distinguished published work should demonstrate. "Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend" has been overshadowed by literary debacles such as "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" or "Green Eggs and Ham" that both overcompensate for their lackluster plots and insignificant character development by dazzling readers with unnecessarily colourful pictures.

As an avid reader of fine fiction, I'm able to
Abigail
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scaredy Squirrel Fans / Timid Children Longing to Make Friends
Scaredy Squirrel returns for his second adventure in this hilarious and heart-warming little book, this time trying to cope with the frightening idea of finding a friend. Terrified of being bitten, Scaredy refuses to consider: walruses, bunnies, beavers, piranhas, or Godzilla, as possible companions. No, he has selected a nice, safe candidate, and with a well-orchestrated campaign, believes that making a good first impression should be no trouble. Of course, as is so often the case, nothing goes ...more
Sadia Mansoor
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Never saw anyone this prepared before making a new friend! This cautious little Scaredy Squirrel actually prepares a whole questionnaire & a list of things before considering someone as his new friend.. He just doesn't want to take any risk! :D

Here's the book to see how he intelligently does everything..
Ty O'Brien
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** Spoilers ***

This part is funny - where he makes a friend with a dog, they play hide and seek and play fetch with a hot dog. He even has a tag that says "Hello, My name is Scaredy!"
Amanda Brooke
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary-reads
5 stars for bringing Godzilla
Karl
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These are seriously great. I wish they were published when my son was young. Recommended for all ages but especially parents of emerging readers. Fun stuff.
Amy Herrick
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book:
TumbleBooks; Picture Book; Fiction

Estimate of age level of interest:
Grades K-2

Estimate of reading level:

Brief description:
Scaredy Squirrel is too frightened of the outside world to leave the safety of his tree. He finally ventures out to make friends with a goldfish, which he believes to be safe, but he ends up making friends instead with someone he’d least expect.

2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and how they appear in the
Audra Rowell
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddie-lit
My favorite line in this Scaredy Squirrel adventure is "This was not a part of the plan!" For gifted learners, especially those who struggle with anxiety, this is a common thought. But Scaredy Squirrel once again proves to use that sometimes that best laid plans may go awry. And when they do, things can still turn out alright. In fact, sometimes, the end result is even better than what we originally hoped for.

There are several Scaredy Squirrel books and I love all of them. The illustrations,
Robert Beveridge
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Melanie Watt, Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Kids Can, 2007)

Scaredy Squirrel is back, and despite finding many ways to occupy his time, he's decided he needs a friend. One day he spies a goldfish in the birdbath near the tree (how'd it get there? No idea) and decides that a goldfish would make the perfect friend. He devises a cunning plan to get from the tree to the birdbath, but of course things can't go quite right... I actually liked this one better than the first Scaredy Squirrel book;
sweet pea
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-enfants
damn. do i love me some scaredy squirrel. i love his neuroses. i love his planning. i love his map and checklist. i love his new friend.

the drawings are bold and fun. godzilla has never looked so good. the book has enough elements to make it fun for adults and littles. the various lists and maps allow for a quick story or added exploration. although i am unsure if i would want to be friends with scaredy squirrel myself (i count both a walrus and a several beavers as friends), i am nevertheless
John Beeler
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sharedwithcosi
In describing this to my wife after reading it to Cosi, my three year old, I realized that it is a moral tale for geeky kids. The way that Watt narrates the story is not so much by illustrations as lists, charts, diagrams, and maps.

Which helps!

After reading it, Cosi looked me in the eyes and said, "Daddy, I want to go in the book!" I think that's about as fine a compliment as one can give a book.
Vadim
Bought the book on Kobo, but it would not open. After a couple hours of unsuccessfully attempts to sync and a few conversations with support it was established that this book is incompatible with Kobo reader. Kobo, however, will NOT refund me the money, they'd only give me a store credit that I may be able to use for something but not for downloading books on kobo wireless e-reader. Do not download this book on Kobo, you will lose your money and will not get it back!
Peacegal
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Scaredy conquers his social anxiety disorder and makes a friend! Yay, Scaredy! Why weren't these books out when I was a kid?
Edward Sullivan
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Finding a friend is not easy for the paranoid but loveable little rodent.
Arminzerella
In this Scaredy Squirrel adventure, Scaredy decides to make a friend. He spots the perfect companion - a goldfish - swimming serenely around a fountain nearby his tree. Assembling all the things he'll need to create the perfect impression, Scaredy is prepared for everything. And then, on his way to the fountain, a dog attacks! Scaredy runs and runs and runs and the dog chases and chases and chases. Then, out of options, Scaredy flops to the ground and plays dead. After a couple of hours the dog ...more
Delaney Brown
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing and I would recommend it to many people. The animations were very interactive and it was a lot to look at on each page. You had the chance to read maps, charts and little notes from the squirrel which will interest kids. It was also a perfect length for short attention spans. The idea was very smart to talk about making friends in healthy ways and I think it will help get children to be more social. I am excited to read the rest of the books about Scaredy Squirrel after ...more
Kyra Christiansen
After reading Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party, I was very excited to see another Scaredy Squirrel book in the library. This book deals with being scared to make friends and planning everything out, only for things to run amuck. This book also teaches that sometimes through the chaos you find someone you didn't expect to be a friend - and sometimes those are the best kinds of friends! I would love to do a Scaredy Squirrel unit and work all of the books into a lesson.
Anna Penner
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is easy for children to relate to. Using this book a teacher could easily create lessons over being more accepting of others. This books is fun, short and includes funny little inserts such as "Warning! Scaredy Squirrel insists that everyone brush their teeth with germ-fighting toothpaste before reading this book!"
Sundy Jin
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book talking about a squirrel is very scary to make a friend, and one day he sees the fish and wants to make friends with them, and something happened, it is a very fun book and I like it, because the squirrel tries to make a friend, and be very brave. this is told us maybe your friend is not the best, but you also want to play with them.
Karina W
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scaredy's personality makes the story have a whimsical feel and makes you smile. The font of the story gives off the vibe of a child and innocent personality. The warning at the beginning of the book keeps the childlike theme.
Jan Brooks
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is always the temptation to avoid relationships, we could get hurt right? And they're messy. Well Scaredy Squirrel shows us the benefits of those friendships, once we get out of our comfort zones. Awesome read for kiddos AND this adult.
Ellon
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
My second grade students are obsessed with scaredy squirrel right now and I can see why. I had only read Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach prior to this one but I do love scaredy squirrel. This one wasn’t as strong as “at the beach” plus it involves a gross dog but it’s still enjoyable. ...more
Sarah Westgate
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fantasy
One unique feature of this book is there are maps and diagrams which are great for children of all ages to explore. This book could be used in a Kindergarten and up.
Just a note: Get ready for your class to laugh at Scaredy Squirrel and his friends!
Allison
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-books
Read the French edition. Absolutely adorable. The pictures are great and the story is fun to read aloud. I like that there's a lot going on and lots to point out to the little ones, and also that it helps learn words for things (les mitaines, in peigne, du sent-bon, etc).
Rachel Solomin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This sweet volume shows once again how our favorite phobic Squirrel manages his anxieties and succeeds in his adventures. It seems more of a 3 1/2 star book simply because it isn't as madcap and silly.
Layna Pasiuk
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very entertaining in that it was a lot different then other books. I liked that you had to look at all of the pictures and the only way to follow the story line was to follow the pictures and the squirrels little notes on how to avoid scary things.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • Diary of a Worm
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • Parts
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
  • David Gets In Trouble
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • David Goes to School
  • If You Take a Mouse to School
  • Little Pea
  • A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #19)
  • Ribbit!
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also ...more

Scaredy Squirrel (8 books)
  • Scaredy Squirrel