Start by marking “Scaredy Squirrel” as Want to Read:
Scaredy Squirrel

Scaredy Squirrel

(Scaredy Squirrel #1)

Scaredy Squirrel never leaves his nut tree. It's way too dangerous out there. He could encounter tarantulas, green Martians or killer bees. But in his tree, every day is the same and if danger comes along, he's well-prepared. Scaredy Squirrel's emergency kit includes antibacterial soap, Band-Aids and a parachute.

Day after day he watches and waits, and waits and watches, un
Published February 1st 2006 by Kids Can Press (first published January 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Scaredy Squirrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaredy Squirrel

Starjustin
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Awesome children's series!

This is a great book for both big and little children. (That includes adults too!) Scaredy Squirrel, in a magical way, learns a very important lesson in life. The illustrations are whimsical ! This book is the first in a series so be sure to check out the others also. You won't be disappointed! 😉📘
Philip
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Philip by: Luann
I stole this style of review from Heather's (well, Heather's daughter's) fantastic review of Ladybug Girl at the Beach. Her review is a lot more... focused.

Interviewer/ Dad: What did you think about Scaredy Squirrel?

Eleanor: I thought it was good.

Gwennie: Scardey Squirrel's about scarey.

Dad: Ellie, why did you like it?

Eleanor: Because I wanted to. Why are you typing that?

Dad: Gwennie, did you like Scaredy Squirrel?

Gwennie: Yeah.

Dad: Why?

Gwennie: Because Scaredy is scarey scarey...

Dad: What happe
Rossy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I think the layout was so cute and organized! And the "warning" at the beginning of the book: "Scaredy Squirrel insists that everyone wash their hands with antibacterial soap before reading this book" was so funny!
Lisa Vegan
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adults, “older” kids who enjoy picture books, anyone who needs to broaden their horizons
This is adorable. I think young kids will get the gist but it helps to be older to understand all the inside information. This is one of those picture books (such as Oh, the Places You'll Go! ) that can make a great gift for adults.

I loved the smiling bees, although I’m not sure I’m particularly fond of the pictures, as I was in Watt’s Chester books. I’m afraid of bees. (Mélanie Watt is afraid of sharks.) Scaredy Squirrel is afraid of a lot of things, including some things that are outlandish (f
Kathryn
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail
Haha! SO amusing! I know the feeling; some days you just want to stay safe and sound in your tree--er, your home--and not worry about all the nasty things out there in the world. But, then, things would get a bit boring if you did that every day! This is the tale of how Scaredy Squirrel gets tired of his life of eating nuts and looking at the view from his tree, has a surprising adventure (will he even have to use his emergency kit?) and discovers that he may just have to vary his routine in the ...more
Crystal Marcos
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
My almost 2 yr old daughter and I read this one together. She enjoyed it as much as I did for different reasons. She is too young to really get the story, but she definitely enjoyed the illustrations. I loved Scaredy's cheesy smile! The layout of the book made it even more fun to read. I will revisit this humorous tale when she is older and would get the message about conquering your fears. I look forward to reading more Scaredy books.
Kajwan Abehesht
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple and clear it tells the story of our mental fears and their impact on our lives.
Highly recommended to all politicians and generals!
Abigail
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Timid Children / Young Squirrel Lovers / Anyone Who Enjoys Humorous Picture-Books
The unknown can be a scary place for a squirrel," but the hero of Mélanie Watt's hilarious Scaredy Squirrel thinks he has it all under control. Unwilling to risk running into: green Martians, killer bees, tarantulas, poison ivy, germs, or sharks, he never leaves his tree, keeping to the same schedule every day. In the unlikely event that he is forced to evacuate, he has a contingency plan that is full-proof. Or is it...?

With engaging text and simple but appealing charcoal and acrylic illustratio
Toby
Feb 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
2010 Monarch Award master list
`From the flap copy: ‘Here’s the story, in a nutshell: I never leave my nut tree. It’s way too dangerous out there. I could encounter germs, poison ivy or sharks. If danger comes along, I’m prepared. I have antibacterial soap, Band-Aids and a parachute. But things really get shaken up later in the book when I’m forced out of my tree by a vicious intruder! Will I survive this ordeal? Will I undergo a life-changing experience? Will I discover my true inner self?’ No
Luann
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Luann by: Lisa Vegan
Scaredy Squirrel is awesome! Scaredy Squirrel is also: predictable, prepared, organized, vigilant, adventurous, and unpredictable. By extension, Mélanie Watt must also be: predictable, prepared, organized, vigilant, adventurous, unpredictable and, most definitely, awesome!

I love that Scaredy Squirrel makes lists and tries his utmost to be prepared for the things that scare him. I also love how he responds when his life becomes a bit topsy-turvy!

Thanks so much to my GR friend Lisa for recommendi
Shawn Deal
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Here come the most prepared, or even most, overly prepared squirrel ever. With every contingency mapped and thought out a head of time, this squirrel plans to leave its tree. Humorous and cute and very enjoyable little book.
Emerson and Theodore
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book that tackles the issue of anxiety in a child appropriate way. Scaredy squirrel is anxious about life outside his tree. He does the same things at the same times (book also helps teach time), eats the same things, and is scared of anything new. Until one day.....scaredy squirrel learns that he can have a great adventure by breaking his routine...a little bit. Cute story.
Danielle
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: turkeybird, childrens
The Turkeybird Speaks(My 3 year old son's POV): "This book is one of those that I just can't put down. My favorite is when my dad reads it, 'wake up, eat a nut, look at a view, eat a nut...', he just does such a good job! Scaredy Squirrel is one of those characters you love instantly, I mean, he's really a flying squirrel! He can fly! How cool is that? And he's afraid of bee's and I am not a fan at all. I once had one sting me and my thumb swelled up like a balloon! So of course you want to stay ...more
Laura Lee Denby
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Scaredy Squirrel is a beautifully written witty book about courage and knowing our fears.
The book is about a nervous squirrel who never ever leaves the safety of his little nut tree in to the dangerous realms of The Unknown! He is scared of many things, including germs, and indeed instructs us to wash our hands with antibacterial soap before reading any further! Scaredy Squirrel is scared of: green Martians, killer bees, tarantulas, poison ivy and sharks. Of course none of these creatures are in
Kristine Hansen
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A highly relatable story about fear and the hold it can have on you. A good book to read with the timid. BUT it's also a good book for those who live with those who are anxious. I see a lot more to this book than what's originally intended for the younger audience. Living with anxiety I relate to the need for routine and sameness, and also the frustration of being trapped in that loop. It will be interesting to see what else the series has to offer.
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Kindergarten class looooves Scaredy Squirrel now. So much fun to read with them!
Jennifer B.
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very cute start to the series.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Cute, funny, quirky. A great read for kiddos.
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 5 stars
Illustrations: 5 stars

Brilliant picture book about a squirrel who feels fearful and anxious towards life, so he copes by trying to control every single possibility. But when an unexpected situation arises, he learns that he has a more adventurous spirit then he realized, and his body is equipped for it as well.

The book is full of Scaredy Squirrel's lists, checklists, diagrams, schedules, maps, plans, and instructions. Simple iconic illustrations complement the text perfectly.
Julie
Scaredy Squirrel has a contingency plan for every emergency that might arise in the woods -including sharks and green Martians! But one day he makes a discovery that dramatically changes his world view and his daily routine - one that makes him a little less frightened of what might be out there. The quirky humor in this is great, the charcoal pencil and acrylic artwork is fantastic, and kids will love Scaredy and his adventure. Great read-along for elementary school readers. A School Library Jo ...more
Juliana Shoopack
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
its super cute my 3 year old brother and me love reading it together!
Melanie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
super cute kids book. Could be a great tool for kids with anxiety (even big kids like me) lol
Avery Walls
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've ever read I loved it so much i feel like it really just speaks to me. I felt that.
MKK
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Watt has a seriously great sense of humour and fantastic illustration style. I can’t wait to dig into a few more of these tonight.
Jamie
Apr 04, 2017 added it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Maybe it's because I feel like the human version of scaredy squirrel.
Colin Monutain
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has a squirrel and he is a scared from lots of things
Sabrina
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Stefani Sloma
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me on Goodreads in the little sidebar based on something else that I had read (I can’t remember what at the moment), and I thought it looked pretty cute. I requested it at the library where I work and decided to take it home to read instead of reading it at work like I usually do (it’s only 40 pages so it took about five seconds).

It’s really cute! Scaredy Squirrel never leaves his tree; it’s safe, has a great view, and has plenty of nuts for him to eat. The rest of t
Rebecca Brown
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a very scared squirrel who never leaves his nut tree. He has lots of worries and fears about the unknown world outside his nut tree and is very conscious that germs are everywhere. He likes to think he is a well prepared squirrel with his emergency kit for if anything unexpected where to happen.

I really like this book, it’s very simple and easy to read but there are a lot of engaging pages to the book. It doesn’t read like the usual flow of a story, but has lists and diagra
Connie
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to this book at library storytime. The librarians really like this book and the sequels, and the kids there get into it a lot.

Scaredy squirrel is afraid of... well... everything. Mostly the unknown. After all - it may contain sharks! Or germs! Or green martians! Or... KILLER BEES!!!!! So he just stays in his tree. He can eat a nut and look at the view, eat a nut and look at the view all day long. No excitement. No danger. Everything absolutely under control.

Until a killer bee ap
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Cowboy & Octopus
  • Children Make Terrible Pets
  • Chicken Big
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also illu ...more

Scaredy Squirrel (8 books)
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend