Start by marking “Edith Head's Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Edith Head's Hollywood

Edith Head's Hollywood

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Celebrating a quarter-century since its initial release, "Edith Head's Hollywood" is reissued in trade paper, complete with an expanded photo section featuring the best work of the world's most famous costume designer. As the only authorized posthumous autobiography, Edith Head's Hollywood, the twenty-fifth anniversary edition tells her remarkable story the definitive book ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Angel City Press (first published October 25th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Edith Head's Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edith Head's Hollywood

Sophie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written after Edith Head died using her tape recorded memoirs, it's a fascinating look at how Head worked her way up from the bottom to become one of the most famous costume designers in Hollywood, dressing literally every star from the 1920s to the 1960s. Edith was always careful to speak well of the stars she dressed, so there isn't much salacious gossip, but it's fascinating to see the behind-the-scenes work of the costume department, and the politics of the studio.
Sandra
I really liked reading about the lady in this book, and how she became a top fashion designer for film stars in the twenties through the eighties. She won 8 Academy Awards for her designs, more than any other woman. She was nominated 35 times. Still designing, she passed away at age 84.
I remember as a young girl watching the Academy Awards and seeing her win many awards for her beautiful designs worn by film stars in that golden era and always dreamed I would become a fashion designer like she
Linda
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very enlightening!! Edith Head was a brilliant designer and really understood the role of clothes in movies. She understood how the actor, camera, lighting, etc all worked together.

There are soo many big names of Hollywood elite in this book.

If you are interested in clothing, this is a book for you. If you are interested in movies, this book is for you. If you are interested in actors, this book is for you.

Enjoy!!

Annie
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, fashion
Fun, interesting, and full of great Hollywood stories. I agree with Paddy Calistro's comment that Edith Head wasn't so much a designer as a great politician, career woman, and a very very hard worker. Not nearly as groundbreaking as her contemporaries, but Head knew how to costume roles well and make people feel comfortable. A worthwhile (and very fast) read.
Christina Wehner
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This was a fun read, but every time I intended to sit down and flip through the pictures and start reading, I would find that it was in somebody else's hands. There are quite a generous collection of pictures of Edith Head's costumes, which was half the fun of the book

It's less a biography of her life than of her career. Edith Head started writing it, but passed away before she could finish. Paddy Calistro essentially finished the book, using Head's notes as a kind of thread and template. She cl
LaurieH118
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book expecting a lot of Hollywood dish, and in that regard I was a little disappointed. I also wanted new details on costumes from my favorite old movies, and there I was delighted. (The hat Redford wore as Sundance was specially chosen to balance his very square jaw, Bette Davis' famous red dress in Jezebel was really brown because brown photographed better in B&W ... you get the idea.)

But I came away thinking Edith was more fascinating as a marketer than as a designer. Whe
Lauren Whalen
Edith Head's Hollywood wasn't the best book. I thought that this book wasn't very descriptive with her life and all of the little details. I thought that it was missing something big, like iy didn't describe her life all the way. I was very bored during most parts and it wasn't very appealing to me. I would recommend this book to anybody who is interested in fashion and designs and stuff like that.
Edith Head was a world famous costume designer for all of the big movies during the early-mid 19
Kayleen
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting portrait written postumusly from tapes Edith Head created during her life with an eye to writing her memoirs. I felt having an author put the book together from tapes allowed an outsider to comment on some of the controversy that has followed Head's career.

If you are interested in costume or clothing design you will find this interesting. If you are looking for hollywood gossip look elsewhere.

Personally I enjoyed it and want to sit down and watch the movies she described costumin
Kaite
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edith Head was and remains an institution in Hollywood. A costume designer who worked her way up from a sketch artist to head designer at Paramount Films her career was nothing short of amazing.
This book is a wonderful balance of her words and those of her biographer - it highlights the discrepancies between her views and belief in herself and criticisms levelled against her.
Mills College Library
Biog H4324h 2008
Runningrabbit
An incredibly interesting of the history of one of the major designer icons who dressed Hollywood screen stars during the 1940's.
martha
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
definitely good, with all the edith head verbatim writing.
Laurie Brown
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, informative book for lovers of the Golden Age of Hollywood, costume design, movie stars or Edith herself. Lots of great pictures too.
Dianne
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about old Hollywood. Fashion, people and life. Lots of details. Great for the sewer in you.
Beth E
  • Edith Head: The Life and Times of Hollywood's Celebrated Costume Designer
  • The Lonely Life
  • Ginger: My Story
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Service and Style: How the American Department Store Fashioned the Middle Class
  • Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry
  • Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary: Her Private Letters from Inside the Studios of the 1920s
  • It's Only a Movie: A Personal Biography of Alfred Hitchcock
  • Oona Living in the Shadows: A Biography of Oona O'Neill Chaplin
  • The Breakdown of Nations
  • Life is a Banquet
  • Dangerous Curves Atop Hollywood Heels: The Lives, Careers, and Misfortunes of 14 Hard-Luck Girls of the Silent Screen
  • No Bed Of Roses
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Dressed: A Century of Hollywood Costume Design