Start by marking “When Sparks Fly (Spark House #1)” as Want to Read:
When Sparks Fly (Spark House #1)

When Sparks Fly

(Spark House #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  4,412 ratings  ·  1,538 reviews
Running the Spark House, a hotel/event space that has been in her family for years, has been Avery Spark’s lifelong dream. After years of working hard and making personal sacrifices, Avery and her two younger sisters have turned the Spark House into the premier destination in Colorado Springs. Avery is living her best life—she works with her sisters and loves every minute ...more
Published September 21st 2021 by St. Martin's Griffin
Featured Notes & Highlights
Helena
Helena - author

To ask other readers questions about When Sparks Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Sparks Fly

·  4,412 ratings  ·  1,538 reviews

Start your review of When Sparks Fly (Spark House #1)
Irena BookDustMagic
Aug 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
How do you know the book you read was 5 stars worth?
Well, one of the signs is if it warmed your heart to the point you feel like you're melting of pleasure.
Obviously, this is me figuratively speaking, but I am not far away from the truth, because this book really brought me so much joy. In other words, it reminded me why I fell in love with books in the first place.

The writing style was so addictive, I understand why Helena Hunting is popular in romance community.
She knows how to start a book to
jessica
Oct 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
ive seen more than a few less-than-stellar reviews for this, but i personally didnt find this to be as problematic as others are saying.

yes, some of the interactions dive into murky waters but, with the basis of mental health and trust issues, i think there are valid explanations for the characters actions and enough character growth/change that it didnt bother me.

and as a friends-to-lovers trope-based story, i think this is pretty good. a bit repetitive until the last third, but still very en
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Happy belated birthday to one of sexy, emotional, angsty romance reads we need to dive into on this week!

Awwww! I loved this book so much! Friends to lovers theme about college friends who chose to be roommates with unresolved feelings to each other is such a delicious concept made me glue my precious ass to my couch to finish at one sit as I keep hyperventilating because of extremely high sexual chemistry.

Avery and Declan are sweet, sexy, meant to be from the beginning. But... yes that eerie
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Friends and roommates in social isolation!

The following ratings are out of 5:
Narration: 🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧
Romance: 🖤💜🤎💚💛
Heat/Steam: 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Story/Plot: 📙📕📗📘📙
World building: 🌎🌏🌍🌍🌏
Character development: 😍😕🙃☺️🤩

The heroine: Avery - owner of a family business with her two sisters. It is a hotel with event capabilities and Avery is the one that deals most directly with the clients and plans the events that are held there. She lives in a luxury condo with her best friend Declan.

The Hero(es): Declan - has been best fr
Christy
3 stars

I love Helena Hunting’s writing and a good friends to lovers story so I was excited to pick this one up. It had it’s cute, sweet, and steamy moments, and I loved a lot about the first half, but the last half didn’t work great for me.

Avery and Declan have been best friends since college and are currently roommates. There has never been anything romantic between them, but Avery gets in an accident that has her depending on someone most of the time for healing. And that someone becomes Dec
Kaceey
Oct 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avery Spark and her sisters run an events hotel in Colorado. It’s Avery’s burning passion, and her sisters? Well, they support her dream and are all in with just one caveat…Avery must run the show.

Avery’s personal life isn’t nearly as exciting as her professional life. She lives with her long time (male) friend Declan. Strictly plutonic folks! They are besties at best. No benefits here.

But after Avery gets into a serious accident that leaves her incapacitated it’s Declan that steps up to look a
preoccupiedbybooks
A sweet and emotional friends-to-lovers/forced proximity romance about friendship, family and trust

When Sparks Fly was a fun and easy read when I needed it! I flew through this romance, and enjoyed it for what it was.

Sweet and hot, with a fair few steamy scenes, When Sparks Fly definitely had great chemistry between it's main characters. I don't always enjoy friends-to-lovers, but this one was so cute, and I liked the way Declan took care of Avery when she needed him.

There were some heavier them
Madison Warner Fairbanks
When Sparks Fly by Helen Hunting
Contemporary romance. Friends to lovers troupe. Alternating chapters between Avery and Declan. Stand-alone.
Avery and Declan have been friends and roommates since college. When Avery gets in an accident, Declan puts everything on hold to take care of her. Their awkwardness in intimate situations such as helping her into the shower becomes routine. Their awareness of each other increases as they spend time together.

Laugh out loud antics and quips. I enjoyed this n
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
2.5 STARS

If you've read my reviews or know me at all, you know I love me the a-holes. HARD. The meaner they are and the more tortured, the better. However, it seems even I have a line. And this particular hero was that line in the sand for me.

I'll keep this short and sweet. The thing that happens that sets this entire story in motion bothered me. A lot. And while Declan does grovel for a good amount of the story afterwards, I couldn't find it in me to forgive him and move on. Because what he did
Toni
Sep 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Friends/Best friends-to-lovers is one of my favourite tropes, but I do appreciate it isn't easy to do it well. You have to show the emotional connection and the development of the relationship. Helena Hunting does a great job of doing this as well as creating likeable characters and an entertaining storyline.

Avery Spark lost her parents in a car accident when she and her sisters London and Harley were teenagers. Now all three of them run Spark House (a hotel/an events centre) together. They have
Ⓐlleskelle - That ranting lady ッ
Sadly this one just didn't hit the spot for me.
I usually enjoy a good friends to lovers premise but this one quickly turned into something repetitive and boring which is a risk with this trope. I just didn't understand how these two made it this far sharing a place together without anything happening between them and then I wasn't convinced with their half-assed chemistry, it felt forced, far from genuine.

The hero's behavior at the beginning of the story was also hard to forgive and I bet it wil
Tina
This is Cute Romance, and this is the first book in the Spark House series. I really enjoyed listening to this book's audiobook, and the narrators was very good. The ending I did not love mostly because I know it was coming, and I know how it would end. The beginning a found very funny, and I really enjoyed the romance. I loved to see the two main characters figured out they loved each other. I also Declan (the player) take care of his best friend, Avery. If you are looking for a Cute (With some ...more
Lacey (laceybooklovers)

I wanted to love this one - it’s friends to lovers with the roommates trope, both of which I love. This audio actually could’ve been 4 stars for me (the narrators are fantastic) but the hero Declan brought it down for me. He was an IDIOT, mostly towards the end of the book.

Declan and Avery have been best friends since college and they now live together. Declan is your cliched manwhore and it’s because of a random hookup that he flakes on driving Avery to an event. She’s terrified of dri
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
May 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
4 Stars!
(ARC provided by St. Martin's Press)

782F2A44-E7AA-493F-803D-40016FC24FD8

Avery Spark is a 28 yr. old independent, single woman living in Colorado Springs. She's the oldest of three sisters who own and run a hotel event company called Spark House. She loves her job and their family business keeps her pretty busy. When she's not working or with her sister's she's usually enjoying time with her close group of friends. This includes her roommate and best friend Declan. They've shared a decade of friendship and have lived to
Whitney Erwin
May 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun, cute read! I really enjoyed it and read it fast. The chemistry between Avery and Declan is amazing from the very beginning and builds perfectly throughout the book. A true friends to lovers story. There are some steamy, sexy parts included. This book made me smile and gave me feel good vibes. This is my first book by Helena Hunting and I will definitely be reading more!

Thank you Net Galley and St. Martin’s Press for a copy in return for my honest review!
Kellisa
May 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
CristiinaReads❀
Aug 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books
Yet another Helena Hunting novel I am diving into that will mostly likely have me falling in love with her again...

ARC kindly provided by SMP Romance in exchange for an honest review...

InstagramTwitter
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
So much heart in this book! I've come to expect to have a good laugh when I read a Helena Hunting book but I got so much more with Avery and Declan's story. I wasn't expecting to get all emotional ! I really loved that we got so much depth into their characters, how they met and what drove them to stay friends instead of reaching for more. You really feel like the author put her heart and soul into this couple.

Declan's loyalty and the amount of care he gives made him one of my favorite heroes.
Melanie (mells_view)
Overall this is a good best friends to lovers read. Underneath there is a heavy emotional aspect for both of the main characters. Avery is unfortunately in a terrible car accident that leaves her injured in many ways both physically and mentally. It brings up heavy past emotions for both her and her sisters about their parents fatal accident. Declan who was meant to be driving with Avery that day is also torn up with guilt over what’s happened, and the realities of why he wasn’t there.

Luckily th
Jacqueline
May 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
I love Helena Hunting’s books, the Pucked series is an all time favourite but while this was a mainly sweet read, this wasn’t my favourite by her,

It’s a friends to lovers and a forced proximity which resulted in some quite delicious tension, but it seemed to flag a bit and become quite repetitive after a while . Unfortunately when the pace flagged, it lacked the humour and outlandish characters that made the Pucked series such a joy to read so it dragged a bit. It’s not to say it was bad, it was
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
1632011150764

When Sparks Fly had the makings of a perfect friend's to lovers romance that was going to be one of those stories that would have you smiling long after you've finished reading it. Sadly that was not the case for me and while I did expect more from this, there were some moments that I did enjoy.

Avery has a successful business that she runs with her two sisters, she's happy and she has the best roommate that any could have asked for. It also doesn't hurt that her roommate is also her best fr
Mia
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I've read most of Helena Hunting books and I can say with the utmost confidence that this is her best book to date. It's by far my favorite of her. When Sparks Fly is the epitome of the best friends to lovers stories and I loved it so much!
I loved reading about Avery and Declan together. You could feel the attraction under the surface, the friendship, and the love.
I laughed and smiled so much while reading this book and it gave me the best heartwarming feels.
Avery and Declan were both such end
Malene
I’ve read Helena Hunting before and enjoy her work tremendously. Sadly When Sparks Fly was a disappointment. The synopsis sounded promising but the overall execution felt flat and was too predictable.
The characters Avery and Declan felt like characters I’ve met before and his reason for not wanting to be in a relationship wasn’t anything new. How they went to be intimate and then it progressed into a relationship felt rushed and forced. I was disappointed that it was sex that let them to become
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

Avery + Declan

They've been besties since college and now they're even living together.
Avery works for her family's event hotel and Declan is in finance.
The one time Avery really needs Declan to be ready on time to drive them to their class reunion/ business opportunity, he's not ready - he still has an overnight guest in his room, plus he left his car at the bar last night - so Avery has to drive alone - in her old car.
That doesn't end good and we're really mad at Declan after that...

LET THE FUN
Bookgasms Book Blog
Sep 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missy
Friends-to-lovers is one of my favorite romance tropes! I love watching two people move from friendship to something more and all the trials and tribulations along the way. And When Sparks Fly is one of the best!

Declan and Avery have been best friends since college and roommates for years. Both considered their friendship too valuable to even think about anything romantic—not that they weren’t extremely attracted to each other, they just pushed their feelings way, way back into their minds.

Until
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Sweet best friend romance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Best friend to lover tropes are always a fun read. You get to know the characters from two different aspects; as friends and eventually as lovers. Once the admission of love occurs, most of the time the couples friends are saying “DUH!! You have been crushing on each other for years!”

Hunting takes this trope and brings a delightful level up with her characters who are not the typical best friends. They live together, play sports together, protect ea
Dali
In her latest novel, Helena Hunting provides an endearing story about two best friends who couldn’t see what was right in front of them until forced proximity helped them open their eyes.

Avery Spark loves her life. She’s the co-owner and manager of her family’s hotel/event place along with her two sisters who she loves dearly. She has a great group of friends and lives with her best friend since college, Declan. Until a car accident that leaves her immobile for a few weeks.

Feeling guilty ab
Storiesandcoffee
Jun 21, 2021 marked it as arcs
When the UPS delivery man delivered an advanced copy of When Sparks Fly today:

Thank you SMP Romance for the advanced copy! ❤️
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Aug 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Cute as a button with syrupy sweetness dripping from all over, Helena pens an endearing friends-to-lovers story with her trademark honesty and compassion. she pours the same in her characters who are pure of heart and noble in intentions. It strengthens your belief in the bonds of hearts that needn't require a formal sticker to validate it.

description

It truely is In sickness and in Health relationship of Avery & Declan that goes from strength to strength. Declan is the proverbial rock of Gibraltar in frie
Sherwood Smith
I've enjoyed other romances by this author, and as I've been on a romance kick as my way of dealing with pandemic hibernation, I grabbed this one though the premise involved car accidents--not usually my idea of a trope to get a romance going. Especially as the heroine's parents had died in a crash, as you learn right up front.

But that is the motivator for her closeness to her two sisters, as well as her fear about driving, and Hunting really makes it work. Avery forces herself to get into the c

• Call Me Crazy (Bellamy Creek, #3)
  • Not Pretending Anymore
  • Back in the Burbs
  • Just Last Night
  • Gearbreakers (Gearbreakers, #1)
  • Rattlesnake Road (A Small Town Mystery Romance)
  • The Warlord (Rise of the Warlords, #1)
  • All Rhodes Lead Here
  • Breaking the Rules (Sinner and Saint, #2)
  • I Kissed a Girl
  • A Dark and Starless Forest
  • The Half Orphan's Handbook
  • Blade of Secrets (Bladesmith, #1)
  • Marriage and Murder (Solving for Pie: Cletus and Jenn Mysteries, #2)
  • The Wrong Marquess (The Mating Habits of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake (Winner Bakes All, #1)
  • Luck of the Titanic
  • Elements of Power (Council of the Harvest Moon, #1)
See top shelves…
Helena Hunting is the author of The USA Today and NYT bestselling PUCKED Series. She lives on the outskirts of Toronto with her incredibly tolerant family and two moderately intolerant cats. She writes everything from romantic sports comedy to new adult angst.

Spark House (2 books)
  • Starry-Eyed Love

Articles featuring this book

When you're back on the market and ready to fall in love with a new romance, who are the best matchmakers you can find? Romance authors,...