Start by marking “Cut the Clutter and Stow the Stuff: The Q.U.I.C.K. Way to Bring Lasting Order to Household Chaos” as Want to Read:

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
1,237 terrific clutter-cutting tips-- plus hundreds of insider secrets from America's clutter-control experts!

Is clutter taking over your life?

It's time to take some Q.U.I.C.K. action, cut the clutter, and stow the stuff once and for all!

Cut the Clutter and Stow the Stuff edited by Lori Baird will help you tame the clutter monster using the revolutionary Q.U.I.C.K. clutter
Published August 24th 2002 by Rodale Books (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cut the Clutter and Stow the Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cut the Clutter and Stow the Stuff

Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
After I finished this book, my first thought was..I just read 340 pages on clutter!!??? LOL. I didn't think this book was very useful, because much of it pertained to rooms I don't even have since I live in a small apartment and I also don't have alcoves or entrys to convert to other things either. Plus, many of their suggestions seem to encourage clutter. Clean Sweep has it can only keep the amount of stuff that will comfortably fit into your current home. Everything else should go! ...more
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is mainly about stowing the stuff. After a quiz about one's clutter character (funny and insightful), there's a small section on decluttering, but most of the book is broken down into chapters for getting as much crap as possible into each room. If you want some creative storage solutions, try this book. If you REALLY want help decluttering, pick up Scaling Down.
Allyson Faith
It promised a revolutionary new system. I should have known better.
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book as really inspired me to get started on decluttering and organizing my home. It's well written and has great ideas, a clear method, and injects humor without being judgmental.

I have three small complaints: the language got repetitive, I read this straight through and got a bit tired of hearing the same things as we moved from room to room. I feel like this isn't a type of book to be read from cover to cover.

It's a little outdated, "CDs are the newest big thing in data storage". Right
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a great reference for home organization, and it includes a bunch of tips and tricks to unclutter any space in your home. She gives superficial treatment to the root causes of clutter, grouping people into a few types of people and making generalizations about each type and how they interact with each other. This is a great book for the post-cleaning and maintenance phase of the decluttering process.
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
A few ideas and for a beginner a lot of them, but for me nothing really new here. been there done that. There were also many ideas to convert stuff which if I had all that storage listed to convert to, I would not need this book. some of it rather silly psychological drip. Get it at the library and you can glean a few things. To pay for the book might be silly also. It would be clutter on the shelf.
Valerie Sherman
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I agree with other reviewers that this book got repetitive as it went on. Also, I could have used more pictures and visual suggestions. Without photos or diagrams, 300 pages on clutter gets kind of boring. But I really liked some of her suggestions, such as storing AAA-recommended items in your car and organizing your vast book collection by the Dewey Decimal System.
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
I really liked the first chapter of the book, which includes a bit of the psychology behind the different 'clutter personalities', and the quiz to determine your own 'clutter type' was really helpful. The next few chapters describing the overall strategy were useful, but then I just skimmed the last few chapters as they went room by room and got repetitive.
Mar 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I found nothing new in terms of ideas I have not seen before but perhaps this book did reinforc the concept of being more strict with my choices of what gets to stay in this house versus being tossed or donated. Personally I would rather just watch Home and Garden or the Live Well Networks.
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
I didn't read the whole book. It was more of the same.
Charlotte Tisdale
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I just dusted it off my book shelf and started reading it. Good stuff.
Jun 04, 2011 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: non-fiction
Eh. I was hoping this would give more specific, instructive steps to purging the crap in my house and keeping things tidy instead of just telling me to do it. Not very helpful.
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book for the organizationally challenged. This book merely confirmed my propensity for order (OCD ... whatever) as I'd already been practicing most of the suggestions.
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
So I see that I read this and gave it 2 stars. I must not have found it very helpful, yet I kept it.
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
If anyone were to read a book on organizing, I would recommend "Organizing from the Inside Out" by Julie Morgenstern. It is much more "organized" and helpful... one of my favorite books!
Jane Riebe-Tritten
Mar 25, 2014
Apr 26, 2009
Mar 01, 2016
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dated but still with a lot of smart tips!
« previous 1 3 next »