Start by marking “The Incal, Vol. 1 (The Incal, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Incal, Vol. 1 (The Incal, #1-2)

The Incal, Vol. 1

(The Incal / L'Incal #1-2)

Published July 1st 1988 by Epic (first published May 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Incal, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incal, Vol. 1

Bradley
This is a rare one. For any of ya'll who are familiar with Jodorowky of that documentary called Jodorowsky's Dune, this is the same guy. The guy who almost got Bowie to play Feyd in an earlier version of Dune before Lynch! The guy who got H R Geiger to make all that trippy art pieces for the sets reused later on Lynch's 1984 version. :)

The weird guy. :)

Okay, so this comic came out in 1981 and it's just as good now as it was back then. Think quality, think the artist Moebi
Rick
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-books
It's hard to tell exactly how much I'm going to enjoy this, as it's only the first third of the story, but so far, so good. Jodorowsky's narrative is as wacky as his films and the art of Moebius is as phenomenal as ever. The blend of the two is spectacular, so I'm looking forward to the subsequent volumes.
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
The Incal is a curious creation, born of the meandering spiritual obsessions of Jodorowsky and the wonderfully vivid drawings of Moebius. While the story lacks much coherent structure or purpose after a casual read, as with anything that Jodorowsky is involved with, there are tidbits of meaning and mystery sprinkled throughout, even if the sum total of those bits seems rather light in the final weighing. But the rather random nature of the narrative elements (not to mention the characters themselves) ...more
Brock
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Somewhere in here is a story. Fortunately the artwork makes it a far more interesting ride.
April Rogers
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Classic sci-fi comic, interesting and you can tell when it was made by the style.
L.R. Diaz
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had this book for a year or so before I found the time to go beyond the gorgeous art and I was surprised to find an interesting story. After watching "Jodorowsky's Dune" (documentary) I found myself wanting to read "The Incal." I thought it was a great futuristic ride that felt similar to the "Heavy Metal" movie and as Dune has inspired a slew of sci-fi movies dating prior to Star Wars. Moebius' work shows a clinical eye for character design, action and great storytelling. The colorists for th ...more
Cale
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This didn't do much for me at all. Maybe it's my lack of familiarity with the European comic market this originated from, but this relatively short volume just left me bored. A low rent detective stumbles onto a mysterious artifact and gets thrown into all kinds of jams because of it. Then a guy gets hired to hunt the first guy down, and the story switches to his perspective. There's some decent action and the artwork is intriguing and does a good job setting up a distinctively different world. ...more
Heiki Eesmaa
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Overall a fantastic pseudo-metaphysical/esoteric sci-fi romp that will leave you breathless at the end. I was annoyed with it at times (the quite wild cosmic journeys), but it did come together at the end. Superb visuals and I grew to enjoy the dry humor.
Vincent Stoessel
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
These are quite possibly the best science fiction themed graphic novels ever made. The style is very European and definitely adult. Great story though. Combined with the beautiful artwork of Mœbius it's a Science Fiction feast for the mind.
Matt Kelland
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I first read this years ago, when I was discovering Euro comics, and loved its gleeful insanity, its wild freedom, and how different it was to British or American comics. Rereading it now, though, it feels like an incoherent experimental mess that never quite gels.
Emre Ergin
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
renkleri için bile okunur.
Микола
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Що тут казати. Дахозносна фантазія Ходоровскі помножена на графічний геній Мьобіуса.
Courtney
Trippy. Exactly what I would expect from Jodorowsky.
Gabriel Pagan
Dec 31, 2016
Dave White
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)
  • La foire aux immortels (Nikopol #1)
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • Chihuahua Pearl
  • Butterscotch
  • Laid Waste
  • Locas II
  • Appleseed: The Scales of Prometheus (Appleseed, #3)
  • Forming
  • 鉄コン筋クリート(1)
  • Le Repaire de la murène (Spirou et Fantasio, #9)
  • The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot
  • Lazarus: The First Collection
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead
Also credited as Alexandro Jodorowsky

Better known for his surreal films El Topo and The Holy Mountain filmed in the early 1970s, Alejandro Jodorowsky is also an accomplished writer of graphic novels and a psychotherapist. He developed Psychomagic, a combination of psychotherapy and shamanic magic. His fans have included John Lennon and Marilyn Manson.

The Incal / L'Incal (6 books)
  • L'Incal noir (The Incal, #1)
  • L'Incal Lumière (The Incal, #2)
  • L'Incal: Ce qui est en bas (The Incal, #3)
  • L'Incal: Ce qui est en haut (The Incal, #4)
  • La cinquième essence, Première partie: Galaxie qui songe (The Incal, #5)
  • L'Incal, Tome 6 : La Cinquième Essence, deuxième partie : La Planète Difool (The Incal, #6)