Start by marking “Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Becoming Orthodox: A J...

Peter E. Gillquist

Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  623 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

This revised edition includes a new epilogue, 'Coming up on Twenty-Five Years' since the entry of the Evangelical Orthodox into the Holy Orthodox Church. This is the story of a handful of courageous men and their congregations who risked stable occupations, security and the approval of life-long friends to be obedient to God's call.

It is also the story of every believer wh

Published September 1st 1989 by Wolgemuth & Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Orthodox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Orthodox

Lisa Wuertz
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book does the best of all I have read of addressing the many issues Protestant converts and their families would face. Gillquist does it in a manner that is very down to earth and easy to read. I think this is also just a great book for Christians to read in general even if they are not remotely considering Orthodoxy. There is a lot to be gleaned from these pages. The book specifically addressed several things that have come up as walls for me, but was very brief and as such unfortu ...more
Christopher
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BECOMING ORTHODOX is a personal testimonial by Fr Peter Guilquist written to track the conversion of nearly a thousand Evangelical Protestants to Orthodox Christianity in 1987. This mass conversion was one of the biggest events in modern American Orthodoxy, and Fr Guilquist's book paints a vivid picture of the theological wrestling and jurisdictional complications which ended in the reception of the converts in the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

Fr Guilquist and many other leaders of this movement s
Brad and Suzanne
This book is one that keeps to a very simple purpose and executes it well. It’s casual, easy reading that at times can be cheesy, but there lies the book’s genius. It lends itself to a surprisingly greater level of take-away on major theology tenets separating Orthodoxy and Protestantism, whereas other books, for me at least, I find myself bunkered down carefully slaving over every paragraph like it were an Orthodox treatise. Fr. Gillquist discusses these tenets subjectively as it relates to his ...more
Jerry
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
What do you get when a sentimental and provincial Protestant (Gillquist was a Campus Crusade director in the 60s), ignorant of his own tradition, falls in love with the smells and bells of Eastern Orthodoxy? This testimony. Protestants really need to recover the beauty and maturity of the liturgy and our ancient church. Sadly, Eastern Orthodoxy believes it's the only true church and cuts of fellowship (and communion) from other churches. Which of course, like other spots and blemishes, will be l ...more
Suzy
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-fiction. Peter Gillquist "coming to Orthodoxy" biography, of sorts. Gillquist and a large group of protestants return to the Orthodox faith after years of "searching". It's interesting how they got there....though the book felt a little narcissistic at times. The theology portions were very interesting and helpful for parts of my thesis research.
David
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting account of what eventually became a mass conversion. However, Gilquist, I believe, can at times be a bit simplistic and anachronistic. Perhaps he is carrying over quite a few Evangelical prejudices. History and theological development are a tad more complicated than Gilquist makes them seem.
Marianne Ogden
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who think that the early church is no more, look again. The earliest traditions have continued for two thousand years through the Orthodox church. If you are curious about it, here is the book for you.
Tiana Dalichov
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book for anyone considering Orthodoxy.
Chad Lynch
Disappointing. I’ve wanted to read this for years, but the author seemed rather Cage stage, and made several polemical statements and arguments against Protestants in particular that were simply ludicrous.

I wish she had tried harder to simply focus on what he loved about Orthodoxy, instead of making ridiculous statement, such as when he essentially said Sola Scriptura, in dividing Scripture from Tradition, was “dangerously close” to the unpardonable sin.
Dustan Holland
The parts about orthodoxy itself was pretty interesting. The rest was just about how this group of priests joined the orthodox church. I thought it was going to be a more general book about joining the orthodox faith, as I will soon be crismated into the church. Didn't hate it, liked parts of it. It was ok. Which is what Goodreads says 2 stars are for. Feels low though.
Dimmy-jimmy
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew little of the orthrodox faith,the book was good but,it dealt more with his journey than the faith itself. the orthrodox faith seems to fill a void the catholic faith cant fill, one day iam going to act on it
Matthew
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A very interesting an inspiring book.
Dana Cheryl
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written & Easy to read

An interesting and well- written account of a unique mass conversion to the Orthodox Church. The author was honest, thoughtful, and inspiring.
Brandon Jones
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book. tells the story out of evangelicalism and into the rooted traditions of the orthodox church.
Matt
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long journey....

The story of these peoples journey to orthodox is incredible! It is definitely a story about the search for truth!
Patrick
A great account of how a large group of evangelicals journeyed to Orthodoxy. This book is a good resource for answering questions, that evangelicals might have.
Jacob Aitken

More than just an apologia for becoming Eastern Orthodox, Peter Gillquist’s book is an important chapter in the history of American Evangelicalism. Gillquist details his theological journey from the early days of Campus Crusade and its structured chaos to the Evangelical Orthodox Church till his “homecoming” in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. If one wants a thorough, rigorous defense of key Orthodox practices, this book will disappoint you. If one wants an engaging (and sometimes moving) account
Patrick Williams
This book was good at first but it got a little boring and I could not finish it (this was just me, though, I'm sure). I recommend it as a very BASIC book and introduction of Peter's journey to the Orthdox Church. Their journey part (the first part) is interesting. Basically, Peter and his friends were part of Campus Crusade for Christ and they wanted to mimic the earliest forms of Christianity in the worship and lifestyle in the churches they had started ("planted" in today's parlance! : - ). S ...more
Donna
Once, in the 1960s, as a student at the University of Minnesota, I was invited during the summer to be part of Campus Crusade Camp's group of volunteers during which time I briefly met Peter E. Gillquist. If my memory serves me correctly, and this book illustrates-- Peter Gillquist was/is an aspiring leader of the Campus Crusade for Christ group. It was interesting for me to read his book because its content added to my understanding of what happened to some of the Campus Crusade for Christ lead ...more
Melissa Travis
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, fascinating, brief introduction for anyone interested in learning about the Orthodox church and/or desiring to understand why an increasing number of evangelical protestants are drawn to the liturgical and sacramental worship practices of the New Testament and early Church. The author was himself a convert to the Orthodox Church after a long journey of prayerful research. The tone is gracious, and there are some helpful citations for further researching the earliest document ...more
Ruth
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A nice narrative covering the process of a nondenominational church trying to model the historical new testament church and in the process converting to Orthodoxy. The author was once a leader of Campus Crusades back in the 60s. While others were breaking away from denominations to start bible churches and house churches, the many hours of research he and his colleagues put in led them back to the liturgical service and early Christian traditions of the first few centuries AD. A casual, interest ...more
Hope
An intriguing look at why many Protestant Evangelicals are joining the Orthodox Church. Not the best book for finding out exactly what the OC teaches, although Gillquist highlights the main points of contention between the two groups.

Church tradition is as important as scripture in the OC and in the case of their beliefs about Mary, it is held above scripture. Both the idea that Mary remained a virgin and the belief that she is interceding for us in heaven are extra-biblical.

DCC
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half was excellent. He and his friends honest searched to find the best expression of what they believed to be biblical community. I applaud their commitment to follow the hunt. But once he agreed to accept orthodox belief in the handed down traditions, he no longer was able to rigorously examine the issues, because he had lost his plumb line, the Scriptures.
Rick Lee Lee James
This is a wonderful book of homecoming. I'm convinced that if I were ever to be called out of Protestantism but I would likely be called to the Orthodox Easter church. This is the story of the people who did make that move in the Blessed Union that occurred because of it. What a wonderful story of faith and following God.
Brian
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gillquist gives us an adequately (though not burdensome) detailed chronology of his and his colleague's progression from Protestantism to Orthodoxy, which spanned some fifteen years. I can well relate to many of Gillquist's disenchantments with Protestantism and his inclination toward Orthodoxy, so I found his book especially interesting and readable.
Philip Ryan
Peter Gilquist spearheaded the evangelical exodus for Constantinople. This book is a good read but the reasons for joining the Orthodox church are shallow - basically, the ancient church did this, this, and this so should we.
Julia Cutler
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great inspiration and encouragement for my husband and I because we are now Catechumens in the Orthodox Church and we felt we could relate to the struggle and questions that were presented in the book! May Fr. Peter Gillquist Memory be eternal!
Cory Howell
Even though I think his writing isn't that great, the story Gillquist tells is amazing. His journey from Evangelical Christianity to Eastern Orthodoxy is remarkable. The book is a good basic introduction to Orthodoxy for the non-Orthodox, especially inquirers into the Orthodox faith.
Dan
I enjoyed the first two parts of this book. The justifications given for various Orthodox practices are simplistic, but the goal was not to serve as an apologetic but as a biography. Overall pretty good.
Christopher
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Somewhat myopic narrative of the EOC history and the author's choice to leave behind the EOC for the AOC.

Great primer on Orthodoxy for Protestants and Evangelicals.
Goodreads Librari...: Add newer edition 3 15 May 23, 2017 10:14PM
  • The Orthodox Church
  • Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
  • Beginning to Pray
  • Thirsting for God: In a Land of Shallow Wells
  • Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios
  • Wounded by Love
  • Bread & Water, Wine & Oil: An Orthodox Christian Experience of God
  • Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives:  The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy: Finding the Way to Christ in a Complicated Religious Landscape
  • John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Light from the Christian East: An Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division
“It's time we capture our imaginations for Christ” 19 likes
“People are not being reached in the context of the body of Christ--they're like newborn babies being left on a doorstep somewhere to feed and care for themselves.” 4 likes