Start by marking “Hotel Pastis: A Novel of Provence” as Want to Read:
Hotel Pastis: A Novel of Provence

Hotel Pastis: A Novel of Provence

(Provence)

With his national bestsellers A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence, Peter Mayle gave new meaning to the phrase "great escape." Now he has written a delightful novel of romance, adventure, and tongue-in-cheek suspense, set in the beguiling French region he has staked out as his own.
Published November 8th 1994 by Vintage (first published May 27th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hotel Pastis, please sign up.
Carolyn Yes! I thought it ended a bit abruptly. I wasn't surprised that he took on a new role, but I would have liked an epilogue to wrap it up better.

Alyssa
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Picked this up for a $1 and read it on the plane - quick and fun. You can tell the author was an ad man (like the main character) as he provides a little too much detail about the main character and not enough about some of the other major characters - such as the girlfriend and the butler - (yes, there's a butler). The crime mystery takes up all of about 35 pages of the 380+ total - but its a fun addition (not the main story) and I have to admit that I did not guess the ending. I do have to war ...more
R.S. Carter
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not my normal read. It was okay, but not much of a plot. Just a whole bunch of my being jealous at the extravagant lifestyles of the rich and famous. Oh those poor dears. What horrific lives those poor, mistreated Madison Ave ad execs lead in the hills of Provence upon semiretirement. It's just brutal, I tell you. Here, let me chuck this tiny violin in your direction.
Sarah Shields
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I didn't love this book. I didn't hate it either. I was a bit indifferent overall. I liked the story, but it wasn't a very deep story at all. Some of the characters and tiny little side stories just seemed like they were added after the fact, and had nothing to do with the story as a whole. I did like Ernest though, he was pretty fun. Overall, an ok book, just not much of a thought provoker.
Barbara Rice
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of Mayle's novels. The main character is clearly based on Mayle's old life in advertising. The descriptions of food, the sun, the lavender all make me start speaking with a French accent and pretending this is only a temporary setback in my real life, and soon I will be back again in The South of France as a gorgeous blonde drinking wine at a cafe.
Natalie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another Mayle hit! Maybe I'm a little biased being French, with family in Provence, but Mayle's work always puts a smile on my face. I've seen his characters, and enjoyed the same quirks in the dialect and attitude of Provence. I wish Hotel Pastis was a real place, and that I could go there right now!
Michael
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hotel Pastis is a Peter Mayle novel, nothing more, nothing less. You're in for a bounder of a tale about Provence involving some English executive (who, in this case, is named Simon) who has had enough of the business world and falls in love with the south of France. Usually for the author, the most colorful characters are the French villagers the main character encounters, but Mayle turns this on his head, introducing us to a hardnosed American ad exec named Zielger (who, in my mind's eye, was ...more
Doris Jean
Loved it, clever and entertaining. The book had an interesting tempo. It started slowly, and during the first twenty pages I kept thinking to myself: "This book isn't too good, maybe I won't bother reading it". But because I had really liked the previous books I had read which were authored by Peter Mayle, I persisted and I am happy to say that the book gradually accelerated and got better and better and toward the last half I never wanted to put it down. When it ended I was sorry because I want ...more
Deborah
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it
A good, easy read - but nothing really bad happened.
Alison
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, bookclub
This was ok, but the narrative never really grabbed me. It's the story of a dissatisfied, wealthy advertising executive who gets divorced and winds up buying a broken down building in Provence and turning it into a luxury hotel. The characters were pretty stock I thought - his assistant, who is clearly gay and described in some very stereotypical ways; his new lover, who is of course gorgeous and amazing; etc etc. There's a side plot about a bank robbery that eventually ties into the main story, ...more
Andria
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. Lots and lots of eating fine French food and drinking fine French wine (I was pregnant while reading this book and missing wine...). A rich British advertising executive gets fed up with his job and decides to restore an old ruined building and open a hotel in the south of France. He is aided in his project by his personal assistant Ernest and an attractive French woman named Nicole, whom he meets at an auto shop the first time he is down by his new property. Meanwhile, a gang ...more
Pat
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful light, fun read. If you are ready to take a break from the 700 page epics and you want a warm, lighthearted story, then this is the book to read. Peter Mayle is a magician with his words and story line. He doesn't get bogged down with the minutia of unimportant details but takes the reader on an almost whimsical escape from dreary London to sunny France. I plan on ready his first book "A Year in Provence".
Paula Paige
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this over the first few days after moving into my new home. What a treat! It was perfect as my TV wasn't yet hooked up, I had no internet and yet my craving for entertainment was high. Mayle created a fun romp through the south of France, much different from his other stories. He did make me hungry (and thirsty) on every other page with wonderful descriptions of food and wine. I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting a good summer read.
Christi
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love, love ,love Peter Mayles' writing! Yes, it's light and fun, that's the whole point of his books. He doesn't take him self that seriously and neither should the reader. What's so wonderful is that most light books aren't well written and his are. You don't feel guilty for reading them!
Tey are aslo quite useful for planning a trip to Provence!
Mariah
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this, but the two plot lines felt disjointed and random even when they tied it all together at the end.
Carla
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very fun read - good beach book!
Wendy Hollister
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
reading as a book on tape and I felt that I was in Provence while the story was being read. Loved this.
Nd
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only thing better would be a real trip to Provence. Every Peter Mayle book makes me feel as if I've been traveling and getting to see the French countryside. In this one, it's through British advertising mogul Simon Shaw, who has built his business until it's international in size. As the novel begins, the work that he has thrown himself into and excelled at is losing its luster and he is freshly divorced from a spendthrift he likely shouldn't have married to begin with. Ernest, butler/drive ...more
Samantha
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Remember when people used to sit sipping afternoon champagnes and watch the sun gently recline upon the mountains in the afternoons? Soft simple pleasures with just enough quirky characters to keep the story in motion. This was 1993 when no one sat checking their teeth on their selfie images. Sweet to the end! Loved the butler the most.
Miriam
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
A good summer beach read, optimally in the south of France. An advertising exec gets bored with his life and decides to open a hotel in Provence. All is not smooth sailing and he gets mixed up with some bad dudes. Fun, easy, fast with Provencal and French slang along with a penchant for the good life. What's not to like?
Darla
Oct 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
I enjoyed "A Year in Provence" so much..I thought this novel from Mr. Mayle would be another gem. For me...no! The setting, the food wonderful but the characters and plot were flat. Do not waste your time with this one.
Erin
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book! I was legitimately sad when I finished it. Mayle created a warm, wonderful world of characters and painted such a loving portrait of Provence that it was hard to let go at the end. One of the best books I've read in a while.
Sarah Pascarella
Apr 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Like cliched travel writing? Women described only by their breast sizes, short skirts, and other sexualized prose? Embarrassingly rich protagonists, struggling with the "problems" of how best to spend their millions? If these topics appeal, then this book is for you.
Bethany
Sep 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My idea of the perfect beach read. A little wealth, some fun-in-the sun, a bit of how does one find the perfect career, mixed in with a plot to pull off the perfect bank robbery.

Picked this book up at a Library book sale.
Literary  Chanteuse
Nataliya Stelmakh
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! Reading the book is like eating honey with a big spoon, very romantic but yet lively & adventurous
Bettie☯
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: published-1994
mp3 My copy is actually a rip from dodgy-ish tapes, which transposed into 11 discs unabridged.

You can't read this without opening a frisky little red and slicing a cheeky cheddar - so I have.
Karen
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Love understanding all the French slang and curse words. Nice to imagine the Luberon and the WARMTH of summer in the depths of this winter of my discontent and FLU.
Chris
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book! I loved the characters, I loved the storyline and he his description of Provence was excellent! I've got all his other books on request from the library.
Stina
Book #6 for 2019
15 Books: A book you meant to read in 2018 but didn't get to
Alphabet Soup: H
Commas and Ampersands: NO animals/people on the cover
Book Bingo: Free Space
The Legendary Book Club of Habitica's Ultimate Reading Challenge: A book with no pictures on the cover
Linz the Bookworm: A book you got for free
The Modern Mrs. Darcy: A book you've been meaning to read
Mt. TBR #3
PopSugar: A book with a two-word title
Ragdoll Reads (Regular & Serious Bookwyrm editions): A 'free' book
My Personal Re
Emma Bug
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An awesome read!! I love how in Hotel Pastis, there seems to be two separate storylines unfolding for much of the book, until their paths collide in the most entertaining of ways. As with other Mayle books, the humor is witty, the descriptions of the cuisine and wine are divine, the setting is absolutely beautiful, and the story is too much fun. It made for the perfect read for a beach vacation (although my hardback got a tad wet and sandy, oh well!) Five stars.

• The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • The Olive Harvest: A Memory of Love, Old Trees and Olive Oil
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • A Royal Mess
  • French or Foe?: Getting the Most Out of Visiting, Living and Working in France
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
  • A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)
  • Beautiful People
  • The French House: An American Family, a Ruined Maison, and the Village That Restored Them All
  • The Essence of Style: How the French Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, Chic Cafes, Style, Sophistication, and Glamour
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
  • The Kitchen and the Cook
  • Talk to the Snail: Ten Commandments for Understanding the French
  • Foreign Tongue: A Novel of Life and Love in Paris
  • A Pig in Provence: Good Food and Simple Pleasures in the South of France
Peter Mayle (born June 14, 1939, in Brighton) was a British author famous for his series of books detailing life in Provence, France. He spent fifteen years in advertising before leaving the business in 1975 to write educational books, including a series on sex education for children and young people. In 1989, A Year in Provence was published and became an international bestseller. His books have ...more

Provence (7 books)