Start by marking “Sleepy Bears” as Want to Read:
Sleepy Bears

Sleepy Bears

Winter is here, and in winter, bears sleep. But how do you convince six not-so-sleepy bear cubs to go to bed? Mother Bear, of course, has found a way--with a cozy rhyme for each of them. Once again, beloved author Mem Fox enchants little ones--and their parents--with a tender bedtime story, irresistibly illustrated by Kerry Argent.
Published October 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepy Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepy Bears

Start your review of Sleepy Bears
Summer
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
This was my absolute favorite book as a kid. I still have it on my bookshelf in all its ripped-up-pages glory, and periodically reminisce through the wrinkled pages and relive the good times.
Ali
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I could rate it 10 i would this was my fave book when I was little and it still is. I LOVE IT!! you should read it to your little kids or if you are babysitting.
Livia Cerna
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
In this sweet bedtime book, Mother bear tells wildly fanciful bedtime stories to each of her cubs until they all fall asleep for the winter. I chose this book as an example pair with informational texts on a common topic. This serves well to supplement lessons on hibernation and how animals get ready for the winter.
Angie Fehl
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and lovely story told in a lullaby rhythm of a momma bear trying to get
her 6 cubs to bed. She gives them each their own unique rhyme to send them off to
sweet dreams. The illustrations are ADORABLE.
Dawn
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm delighted by every Mem Fox book we read. They are all so different and enjoyable in their own right.
Natalie
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been my favourite book to read to toddlers for 16 years. All of my children have enjoyed it so far.
Shelly
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Mommy bear gives her cubs lovely rhymes to help them fall asleep for winter.
Denise
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great read-aloud for a little older child-about 3 on up maybe. I love the rhymes Mother Bear made up for each little bear.
Michelle
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Way too long for very young children but sweet
Jessica
Darling story interspersed with poetry and rhyming words. Great for bedtime. Use of imagination, colorful pictures, counting and decent use of vocabulary.
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
The repetition and lovely drawings make this a sweet bedtime storybook.
Cara
At first, I was pretty unimpressed with this book, but it got better and I'm glad I kept reading. My son really enjoyed the story, especially all the little bears and their different dreams.
Cute story and cuter illustrations.
Amy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a family of bears who must get ready for bed. Winter is coming and bears must sleep all winter! Mother bear has to get all of her little bears to sleep. They all have one last snack in then climb into bed to hear their own special story to send them to dream land. Each of Baby bear’s siblings gets their story by Mother Bear and quickly drifts off to sleep. After all the other cubs are dreaming, Mother Bear notices her last little cub is yawning a BIG yawn. Mother Bear scoops ...more
Adriana Rodriguez
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book begins by explaining that winter has come so it is time for the bears to sleep, or hibernate. All the bears hop into one big bed, and Momma Bear works her magic! For each child, she kisses them on the forehead, tells a poem specific to that child, and they fall asleep and dream about the poem. As baby bear was the last of the six children, baby bear and Momma bear both fell asleep to the last poem, and they all slept until the spring. I believe that the major theme of this book is that ...more
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Bedtime, bears, Winter

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: None

Literary Elements: Alliteration

Text and Pictures: Very Well Illustrated and the pictures relate to the text perfect.

Summary: This story is about six bear cubs being sleepy in the winter, but they don't want to go to sleep. Mother Bear has tuck each bear cub in, one by
Dolly
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book, all about a family of bears who are getting ready for their long hibernation nap and Mama bear soothes them each to sleep with their own story. It's a nice story, perfect for our girls, but I think I like "Time for Bed" by Mem Fox better than this one.

We've borrowed this a couple of times from the library, and our girls still really enjoy the story.
Amy Adams
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't know how this one would do in our storytime because it's a little longer. It would be really fun for a pajama day or something at the library. It makes me sleepy. I like that each little bear has his or her own special goodnight rhyme. The illustrations are nice, but I don't find them super appealing.
Wendy Daniel
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lis-4700
Mother bear is trying to get all of her cubs into bed for the winter. She has her own special rhyme ready for each baby as they get snuggled into bed. This book supports vocabulary, phonological awareness and print motivation skills for children ages 1-4 years old. Although, my sons (13 and 9) still love this one before bed time.
Kayla
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked how mother bear used a different rhyme for each bear to get them to fall asleep. I think students would like to read this book because it would allow them to use their imagination. They can also relate to this book because they have had dreams of their own. Maybe some of the students have had the same dreams the bears had.
T Akers
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a family favorite as soon as I read it to my children the very first time. Both my son and my daughter soon memorized each little rhyme that the mother bear read to each bear cub. My son and my daughter each had their favorite rhyme that I would substitute their name in the place of the bear cub's name. My daughter still has this book on her shelf and she is now 18.
Samantha Hughes
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good bed time book. It is about a momma bear and her cubs hibernating for winter. The mom makes up an imaginary dream for each cub to fall asleep to for the winter. It would be good to read to your child at bedtime because it can give them ideas of what to dream about and not think of scary stuff.
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who take care of little ones
A really nice story of a mother bear telling her cubs an individule bedtime story so that they will hibernate. Really calming with a rhyming style. My little brothers love it!
Cindy
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I used to read this to my daugter when she was little.. This book still makes me sleepy!
Heather
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
One of my new favorite children's books. After reading this to my kids, they each requested a personal poem before being kissed good night.
Leticia H
This could be used in the classroom as a lead to what happens to bears in winter (Hibernate) and other animals.
Brittany
Too cute, and beautiful pages.
Isela
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mem-fox
A great bedtime stories for kids. It has cute, cozy pictures and words such as Bella
Bear and Baxter Bear.
Emily
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-lp
Love this one. Mother bear tells wonderful rhymes to each of her sleepy bears until they all fall asleep for the winter... Very sweet, great bedtime story.
Sharon
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Cute art, cute story, just cute. MJ didn't stay interested for very long.
Leila T.
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely and cosy bedtime book.

• Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • The Great Treehouse War
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Spirit Hunters
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School, #3)
  • Hop On Pop
  • Hooray for Snail
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Race You to Bed
  • Too Many Dinosaurs
  • Betty Bunny Wants Everything
  • That’s Not My Chick...
  • Muddle and Match Superheroes
  • That's Not My Cow...
  • Muddle and Match: Imagine
  • I Like to Be with My Family
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th

News & Interviews