Start by marking “Sleepy Bears” as Want to Read:
Sleepy Bears

Sleepy Bears

Winter is here, and in winter, bears sleep. But how do you convince six not-so-sleepy bear cubs to go to bed? Mother Bear, of course, has found a way--with a cozy rhyme for each of them. Once again, beloved author Mem Fox enchants little ones--and their parents--with a tender bedtime story, irresistibly illustrated by Kerry Argent.
Published October 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepy Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepy Bears

Summer
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
This was my absolute favorite book as a kid. I still have it on my bookshelf in all its ripped-up-pages glory, and periodically reminisce through the wrinkled pages and relive the good times.
Ali
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I could rate it 10 i would this was my fave book when I was little and it still is. I LOVE IT!! you should read it to your little kids or if you are babysitting.
Livia Cerna
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
In this sweet bedtime book, Mother bear tells wildly fanciful bedtime stories to each of her cubs until they all fall asleep for the winter. I chose this book as an example pair with informational texts on a common topic. This serves well to supplement lessons on hibernation and how animals get ready for the winter.
Angie Fehl
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and lovely story told in a lullaby rhythm of a momma bear trying to get
her 6 cubs to bed. She gives them each their own unique rhyme to send them off to
sweet dreams. The illustrations are ADORABLE.
Natalie
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been my favourite book to read to toddlers for 16 years. All of my children have enjoyed it so far.
Jessica
Darling story interspersed with poetry and rhyming words. Great for bedtime. Use of imagination, colorful pictures, counting and decent use of vocabulary.
Dawn
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm delighted by every Mem Fox book we read. They are all so different and enjoyable in their own right.
Michelle
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Way too long for very young children but sweet
Rochelle Baldwin
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Mommy bear gives her cubs lovely rhymes to help them fall asleep for winter.
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
The repetition and lovely drawings make this a sweet bedtime storybook.
Denise
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great read-aloud for a little older child-about 3 on up maybe. I love the rhymes Mother Bear made up for each little bear.
Cara
At first, I was pretty unimpressed with this book, but it got better and I'm glad I kept reading. My son really enjoyed the story, especially all the little bears and their different dreams.
Cute story and cuter illustrations.
Amy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a family of bears who must get ready for bed. Winter is coming and bears must sleep all winter! Mother bear has to get all of her little bears to sleep. They all have one last snack in then climb into bed to hear their own special story to send them to dream land. Each of Baby bear’s siblings gets their story by Mother Bear and quickly drifts off to sleep. After all the other cubs are dreaming, Mother Bear notices her last little cub is yawning a BIG yawn. Mother Bear scoops ...more
Adriana Rodriguez
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book begins by explaining that winter has come so it is time for the bears to sleep, or hibernate. All the bears hop into one big bed, and Momma Bear works her magic! For each child, she kisses them on the forehead, tells a poem specific to that child, and they fall asleep and dream about the poem. As baby bear was the last of the six children, baby bear and Momma bear both fell asleep to the last poem, and they all slept until the spring. I believe that the major theme of this book is that ...more
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Bedtime, bears, Winter

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: None

Literary Elements: Alliteration

Text and Pictures: Very Well Illustrated and the pictures relate to the text perfect.

Summary: This story is about six bear cubs being sleepy in the winter, but they don't want to go to sleep. Mother Bear has tuck each bear cub in, one by
Dolly
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book, all about a family of bears who are getting ready for their long hibernation nap and Mama bear soothes them each to sleep with their own story. It's a nice story, perfect for our girls, but I think I like "Time for Bed" by Mem Fox better than this one.

We've borrowed this a couple of times from the library, and our girls still really enjoy the story.
T Akers
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a family favorite as soon as I read it to my children the very first time. Both my son and my daughter soon memorized each little rhyme that the mother bear read to each bear cub. My son and my daughter each had their favorite rhyme that I would substitute their name in the place of the bear cub's name. My daughter still has this book on her shelf and she is now 18.
Kayla
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked how mother bear used a different rhyme for each bear to get them to fall asleep. I think students would like to read this book because it would allow them to use their imagination. They can also relate to this book because they have had dreams of their own. Maybe some of the students have had the same dreams the bears had.
Wendy Daniel
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lis-4700
Mother bear is trying to get all of her cubs into bed for the winter. She has her own special rhyme ready for each baby as they get snuggled into bed. This book supports vocabulary, phonological awareness and print motivation skills for children ages 1-4 years old. Although, my sons (13 and 9) still love this one before bed time.
Amy Adams
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't know how this one would do in our storytime because it's a little longer. It would be really fun for a pajama day or something at the library. It makes me sleepy. I like that each little bear has his or her own special goodnight rhyme. The illustrations are nice, but I don't find them super appealing.
Samantha Hughes
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good bed time book. It is about a momma bear and her cubs hibernating for winter. The mom makes up an imaginary dream for each cub to fall asleep to for the winter. It would be good to read to your child at bedtime because it can give them ideas of what to dream about and not think of scary stuff.
Sharon
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Cute art, cute story, just cute. MJ didn't stay interested for very long.
Leona
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ps, lap, bedtime
mama bears tells a story for each of her sleepy bear cubs based on their interests. cute bears!
Maggie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
ugh will Mem Fox ever not have me boo-hooing at the end of a book? answer: no. This one is a little long for babies, but would be a wonderful snuggle up together read with littles!
Melissa
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love,love this book.
Toy Guru
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An all time favorite snuggle up for bed story!
Mary
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Especially loved the illusrations. The sight of that big bear family all cozy in bed under a bright quilt and watching them fall asleep one by one just warms the cockles of my heart!
Rachel Rouleau
Excellent bedtime read.
Rani
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is time for winter hibernation. Mother Bear sends each of her cub with a special message. Great book for bed time.
Isela
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mem-fox
A great bedtime stories for kids. It has cute, cozy pictures and words such as Bella
Bear and Baxter Bear.

• The Kiss That Missed
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • I Love You This Much: A Song of God's Love [With CD]
  • Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th