Start by marking “Whirl Away Girl” as Want to Read:

Whirl Away Girl

The Diagnosis: You have an Autoimmune Disease.

The Question: How are You?

What is this new life you have been handed? Where does it lead? How do you even feel? Sometimes the pathway ahead is murky, seemingly impossible to pass through. Life throws you a twist you didn't see, know or desire.

In the midst of adversity, how do you cope? How do you process? How do you move forwar
Published March 10th 2021 by Atmosphere Press

To ask other readers questions about Whirl Away Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whirl Away Girl

Start your review of Whirl Away Girl
Yaritza
Apr 02, 2021 rated it liked it
I can resonate with some of these poetry's. Living with chronic body pain is horrifying. I have been living with Fibromyalgia for over 15 years. Waking up with muscle pain all over your body is painful and exhausting. To go to doctors who do not know what you feel and think it's all in your head, can make anyone upset. Fibromyalgia is a final diagnostic when other autoimmune diseases are ruled out. It's weird and complicated to live each day with muscle pain without doing extreme exercise.

These
Michelle Kidwell
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing

by Tricia Johnson
Atmosphere Press
Health, Mind & Body | Poetry
Pub Date 10 Mar 2021

I am reviewing a copy of Whirl Away Girl through Atmosphere Press and Netgalley:

In a powerful collection of poetry Tricia Johnson deals with the diagnosis of her autoimmune condition, and then she attempts to answer the question: How are you?

In this book she talks about her diagnosis of Lupus, the pain, the uncertainty as she tries to figure out the new life she has been handed. She can’t help but
Sara (onourshelves)
Mar 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Atmosphere Press for an e-arc of this collection in exchange for an honest review.

This was a solid collection of poetry that centered around the author's experience with Lupus. It was a very powerful collection that was insightful in terms of living with a long-term disability as well as experiences within the medical system. I would recommend this collection if you enjoy poetry, and are interested in the experience of living with Lupus. I will say, the collection seemed
Charleigh
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
Whirl Away Girl is a collection of poetry written about the author’s battle with Lupus. Having a chronic illness myself, I thought I’d enjoy this and maybe resonate with the work.

There were some decent pieces in here, but some I didn’t quite get. They seemed random, rushed and more like bullet lists rather than poetry. I struggled to make sense of some of them and they felt very random. Perhaps I just missed the point, however, this book unfortunately wasn’t for me.
W.A. Ashes
Mar 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Whirl Away Girl got me in the heart. I’ve had a rough year and that’s an understatement. I’ve been sick a lot and have gotten no answers for it. This book helped me feel like I wasn’t alone.

The poems in Whirl Away Girl primarily focus on the author’s struggle with Lupus. However, many of her poems are relatable on a basic level. She talks about being bone tired, feeling like your at your body’s mercy, and feeling like you’re letting people down. It’s an exploration of dark times.
Alexis
Jan 26, 2021
Tricia Johnson
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rachel Dillon
Traci
Missmarjie
Sharon
Dec 31, 2020

• sometimes i fall asleep thinking about you
  • Trace Element (An Ethan Cross Trouvaille)
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends
  • The Plot
  • Franny and Zooey
  • White Teeth
  • Finna
  • Whale Day: And Other Poems
  • Why I Never Finished My Dissertation
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
  • I Shimmer Sometimes, Too
  • Systems Thinking: A Guide to Strategic Planning, Problem Solving, and Creating Lasting Results for Your Business
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • The Power of Little Ideas
  • How to Fly in Ten Thousand Easy Lessons
  • Citizen Illegal
  • Strategic Analytics: The Insights You Need from Harvard Business Review (HBR Insights Series)
  • Co-Opetition