Start by marking “The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting” as Want to Read:
The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting

The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting

Robin Loxleigh and his sister Marianne are the hit of the Season, so attractive and delightful that nobody looks behind their pretty faces.

Until Robin sets his sights on Sir John Hartlebury’s heiress niece. The notoriously graceless baronet isn’t impressed by good looks, or fooled by false charm. He’s sure Robin is a liar—a fortune hunter, a card sharp, and a heartless, g
Published February 24th 2021 by KJC Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting, please sign up.
Elizabeth Mellen I'm assuming you already saw this, but I saw a physical copy on Barnes and Noble's and Book Depository's website :) …moreI'm assuming you already saw this, but I saw a physical copy on Barnes and Noble's and Book Depository's website :) (less)

Start your review of The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
K.J. Charles
Dec 10, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
You know how you get stuck on a book so you write a completely different book to take your mind off it? No? Happens to me all the time. *eye twitch*

This is a tropetastic romance starring fortune hunter Robin, baronet-turned-brewer Hart, two sisters (one respectable), an underestimated niece, gambling for high stakes, a villainous marquess (hiss!), and a certain amount of UST because I do love my Regency gentlemen UST. IT was great fun to write; I hope you enjoy it!

The gorgeous cover is by Kanaxa
Talia Hibbert
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was an utter delight and dragged me right out of a slump. I grinned the whole way through. As always, KJ writes deeply loveable characters whose connections and motivations feel intensely human and believable. If you are an especial fan of KJ’s Any Old Diamonds, or of Kim Secretan in The Will Darling Adventures, this one will be a new favourite for you - it certainly was for me. I don’t know who I loved more - the secretly soft-hearted, fortune-hunting Robin Loxleigh, or the socially a ...more
Leslie
“Anything you want. Whenever and wherever and especially however. At your pleasure. Starting now.”

"How absolutely typical that the best pair of thighs he’d seen in years should be parcelled up with such a damned inflexible, unaccommodating, sceptical personality."

I loved this book almost as much as Robin loved Hart’s thighs!

It was the perfect escape and filled me with feels. Fun, witty, sexy and romantic. A light-hearted romp but not at all shallow.

KJ Charles said that writing this
aarya
2020 Winter Bingo (#SnowInLoveBingo❄️): Last Book Acquired

By the time the Season began, plenty of people would recognise the well-mannered Loxleighs—friendly but not encroaching, up from the country, modest but so charming! They would have dinner invitations. They would find their way into parties. They would slide into the notice of the lower Upper Ten Thousand without anyone quite knowing how they’d got there.

And then the hunt would begin.

This is fun! I like KJC’s angsty romantic suspens
Ariana
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

Absolutely glorious.

Fun, fluff and feels - this is pure ‘old-fashioned’ romance done ‘the KJ Charles way’:

A rogue, a gentleman, a reluctant attraction against better judgement.
Great chemistry, sexual discoveries and adorable sizzle.
Heartache and impossible situations.
Ahhhh. I had the most brilliant time! Robin and Hart are simply delightful.

And: two fabulous ladies as secondary characters.
Alice and Marianne totally rock! I love how KJ Charles always writes such strong females.

Only thi
Elena

Trust K.J. Charles to deliver a lighthearted story with charming characters without making it shallow and forgettable.
Okay, maybe Robin is a little bit obsessed with aware of Hart’s thighs, but you shouldn’t hold it against him, he’s really a sweetheart and he knows how to appreciate the whole package person.
I loved the original premise and the dynamic between the MCs, they were surprisingly well matched, with enough conflict to leave room for some character development and not so m
Caz
I've given this an A at AAR.

KJ Charles revisits Regency England in The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting, a frothy, wonderfully trope-y, Heyer-esque romp that, while light-hearted, is underpinned by the author’s customary insight into the workings of the society of the day and a very sharp-eyed look at the importance of security and happiness and what people do to obtain it.  At its centre however, is a lovely opposites-attract romance between a lonely, grumpy baronet and a beautiful, sunny-natured
Agla
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
update 12/01: So I had a big book hangover and could not get it out of my so I had to re-read it. I forgot to mention how funny and witty the dialogue are. The relationships between the two MCs and their siblings is also great and I did not emphasize that enough. Needless to say I highly recommend it!
4.5 rounded up because this was lovely. This book was slightly different from other books by this author that's I have read (granted I've only read 7) because there is no investigation. There is a m
☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)
Minor spoilers ahead, perhaps?

I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this, which in no way affects my rating or review.

Another delight of a regency novel by K.J. Charles!

This was excellently plotted and paced, with the sophistication of characters I've come to expect from this author. Realistic characters with realistic vices and virtues to match, and both the main characters being very likable while still having their flaws.

The interactions between Robin and Hart were very well done, and I
Susan
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The inestimable K.J. Charles takes a break from the pulpy post-WWI Will Darling adventures (Slippery Creatures and The Sugared Game) to provide this Regency era romp with nary a dead body. In fact, the villain of the piece barely makes an actual appearance until the climactic scene. Instead KJC uses the pages to provide a lively romance between two very different men, several heartwarming examples of siblings looking out for each other, and a scathing excoriation of white privilege.

Robin and Ma
Kerry T
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an unbiased review. Here we go!

The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting is a light and charming regency romance with characters that feel familiar without being cliché. There is Hart: the loyal and stoic, brooding main character, who is determined to protect his sister and niece. We also have the wonderfully charming (and at times delightfully acerbic) brother-and-sister duo, of questionable beginnings and high aspirations.

The Loxleigh sib
Kaje Harper
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is another fun historical romance from KJ Charles. Despite an impoverished background for one MC, it's a little lighter and doesn't delve into the social issues of the time as deeply as my favorites of hers, but it has its own delightful charms.

Hart is a nobleman who is brusque, hard-working, and suspicious of charm and ease after a childhood damaged by his charming, frivolous, and self-obsessed mother.

Robin is a man determined to rise above a rough childhood when he and his beloved siste
Ellie
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing

This is a standalone m/m historical romance, similar in vibe to Band Sinister (which I love btw) and enjoyed it immensely.

KJ Charles is auto-read author for me and often pick her books even without reading the blurb. This is one of those times and the general promo as soft romance was enough for me to make me request the ARC.

And this story is just what I need - soft romance, high heat, no murders.

It's an engrossing story which for the most part kept me on my toes as to how the main roma
Joyfully Jay
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting is a delightful romp and very much K.J. Charles. The author has such a wonderful ability to write beautiful stories with engaging characters that really capture the realities of the time period. This story starts out so delightfully as we see Robin and Marianne prepared to take on the town. They lay the groundwork carefully, building a backstory and making connections that soon see them as the life of the season in London. We know
Bev
Another outstanding read from K.J. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 from me.

I loved the 2 MC's, both of whom could see past each other's outer facade...Hart being considered fairly ugly and quite forthright, and Robin being a fortune hunter and frivolous fop. Both of them had had pretty awful childhoods, and had suffered badly from adults treating them as 'things' not people.

Marianne, Robin's sister, was extremely feisty, and even more of a gold digger than her brother. She intended to marry well above her supposed statio
Jessica
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-romance
I must give credit to KJ Charles for writing during the brain-drain of quarantine and giving us another delightful story.

For anyone who's read her books, she has a penchant for rapscallion characters (fortune hunters, thieves, conmen, etc). They are never truly bad, just desperate souls who are happy to edge closer to the straight and narrow when given the opportunity. The main characters of this book are no different.

Marianne and Robin of Locksley Loxleigh are unrepentant fortune hunters who
Sharade
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review copy generously provided by the author, I then went on to inhale the book in a few hours because I have no self-control whatsoever.

The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting was a pleasure to read. It's a standalone book (although, I think KJ Charles has ideas for at least one sequel or spin-off, considering... Something about one of the MC's sibling. Maybe I'm wrong?) that's a remarkably fast read. It reminded me a bit of An Unnatural Vice, grumpy/fraud pairing, except that Robin is a charming fr
Aldi
I fell into this book and couldn’t get out until I’d finished, and I have zero regrets. Excellent characterisation as always, a fun and nicely layered plot, all the feels and some wonderfully acerbic takedowns of privilege and class-based prejudice. I loved both main characters and the way they were slowly revealed to be so much more than meets the eye (lo! A non-conventionally attractive aristocrat?? You mean to tell me Regency England was not absolutely swarming with breathtakingly hot young s ...more
Magpie Fearne
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
For three-four weeks I’d been in a reading drought, unable to concentrate on reading anything, even fanfic. It happens, but it’s fairly rare (March 2020 was the last time, and we all know what that month was like). Turns out what I needed was a good dose of everything I love about KJC’s novels: a historical romance featuring an enemies-to-lovers pairing, fascinating female characters, witty prose, and a well-researched setting.

This Regency tale begins with two poor siblings arriving at London to
M
M/M is an easy genre for bad writers to hide in. I’ve been reading so much mediocre stuff lately, and mostly I’m okay with that. It’s entertaining enough, I’m here for fun, not looking for Pulitzer prize winners. KJ Charles, though, is a not a mediocre writer. She’s found a niche in historical romance and she exploits the shit out of it, in the best possible way. This book was so good. Really stellar storytelling, with great, nuanced characters and a delightful romance. The writing is sharp and ...more
lottie
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, 2021, historical, kjc
LICHERULLY couldn't have timed this better to scratch my post-Bridgerton itch ...more
Mónica BQ
I appreciated the book, but wasn't awed by it.

Which in itself is a disappointment when it comes to KJ Charles' writing, because I keep expecting a new The Magpie Lord or A Seditious Affair and it just isn't happening anymore for me.

The Gentle Art is a perfectly fine book. Historical and modern, and queer and feminist. And all I can say from it is that it was an okay enterteinment for my weekend. But I'm not going to find myself 6 months from now remembering the characters or the plot. Nor am I g
Kathleen
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
16 MAR 2021: I absolutely, positively adored this story! RTC

EDIT 03 APR 2021: Ok, so I'm not going to write a real review. Suffice to say it was utterly charming, sometimes tear jerking, often hilarious, and I thought about it for days. Highly recommended.
Iz
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Another masterpiece by KJ Charles.
"The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting" is one of the softest and loveliest books I've ever read. During these times of uncertainties KJ Charles is a certainty and this book came to me as some kind of blessing. I'm so grateful I got the chance to read and review it.

I started it expecting fluff and romance but what I got was a whack on the head. Don't get me wrong, it was still as fluffy and romant
Adam
3.75 stars!

When Robin and Marriane Loxleigh take London society by storm, it’s no secret that they are of humble origins. It’s also no secret that the siblings are angling for advantageous matches.

But Robin sets his sights on the wrong heiress, coming face-to-face with her curmudgeonly and overprotective uncle, Sir John Hartlebury.

Few tropes titillate me as much as a good enemies-to-lovers tale. Throw in Regency high society, a cast of interesting characters, and some damn good UST, and you can
Becka
Feb 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqa
I don't know. I really enjoyed the first half of this one - which was exactly the fun regency romp it was advertised as being - but then the second half devolved into endless didactic conversations about morals. Once you've noticed Charles' preference for writing her characters interacting in this way, it's really hard to unsee, and it's dissatisfying because it's just not how people act. It feels like Charles inserting her own arguments into the mouths of characters where it doesn't really fit, ...more
Rosa
Mar 02, 2021 rated it liked it
I had a good time reading this, it was enjoyable and it provided a good discussion with my fellow BReaders.
It got time for me to warm up to Hart and Robin personalities, and I never quite warmed up to Marianne though I liked how life ended up for her. (view spoiler)
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
mtVzSxk

⚡ GIMME GIMME GIMME ⚡

Noodle-Arms-Star-Eyed

Leaf of Absence
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Goddamn it, KJ Charles, making it look easy to write charming, fun characters, witty dialogue, entertaining comeuppances, and convincing declarations of love, all wrapped up in a fluffy but not saccarine bundle.

Particular shoutout also to the female supporting cast--I would read Marianne's and Alice's stories in a heartbeat.

Ursula
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When I started this I thought it was a bog standard Regency romance, albeit a m/m one, with all the usual character clichés: grumpy, unsocial older hero, a widowed sister and a plain but secretly wonderful niece hiding her true light under a bushel on the marriage Mart against her will; the loyal best friend from childhood to lend a sympathetic shoulder, and of course the two - slightly dodgy - bright young things come to shake it all up.

And it does have all that - but a chapter in, the characte
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Blind Tiger (The Pride, #1)
  • Saffron Alley (Sword Dance, #2)
  • Wonderstruck (Magic in Manhattan #3)
  • King's Man (Outlawed #1)
  • Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)
  • The First Snow of Winter (Winterbourne, #3)
  • Mystery at the Masquerade (Secrets and Scrabble, #3)
  • Restored (Enlightenment, #5)
  • Rebel (Outlawed #0.5)
  • Honeytrap
  • Emerett Has Never Been in Love (Love, Austen, #1)
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • The Murder Between Us
  • The Gentleman and the Spy
  • Squire Archie's Rectory Christmas (A Seven Summer Nights Festive Tale)
  • Schooling the Jock (Nerds vs Jocks, #1)
  • Drowned Country (The Greenhollow Duology, #2)
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)
KJ is a writer of romance, mostly m/m, historical or fantasy or both. She blogs about writing and editing at http://kjcharleswriter.com.

She lives in London, UK, with her husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Twitter https://twitter.com/kj_charles
Join the lively Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/13876...
Sign up to the (infrequent) newsletter at http://kjcharleswriter.com/n

Articles featuring this book

“He doesn’t remember her birthday or bring her silks, or ever do thoughtful things like that. He just works to make her safe and happy, because that’s how he loves people.” 1 likes
“There is more to life than the pursuit of happiness!” “Tell that to the United States.” Giles snorted. “Yes, and I doubt that will work out well.” 0 likes