Start by marking “The Far Away Girl” as Want to Read:
The Far Away Girl

The Far Away Girl

She dreamed of finding a new life…

Georgetown, Guyana 1970. Seven-year-old Rita is running wild in her ramshackle white wooden house by the sea, under the indulgent eye of her absent-minded father. Surrounded by her army of stray pets, free to play where she likes and climb the oleander trees, she couldn’t feel more alive.

But then her new stepmother Chandra arrives and the
Expected publication: March 2nd 2021 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Far Away Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Away Girl

Start your review of The Far Away Girl
Tina
This book is Historical Fiction/Literary Fiction. I found the beginning very hard to get into, and I also found parts of this book hard to follow. I feel the historical jumps back in time need to be done better. I loved the book after I got into the book, and after I figured out what was happen. The last 50% was so great, and it is so worth getting through the first part of the book. There was a big reveal in this book, and the reveal was so heartbreaking, but it was good. There is some problems ...more
Marianne
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Far Away Girl is the eleventh novel by Guyana-born author, Sharon Maas. When she was five, Rita Maraj came to live at Number Seven Kaieteur Close, Georgetown, with her father and Mildred the maid. Her Daddy, having not had his own family from the age of three, didn’t know how to be a parent, so there wasn’t much discipline, but eventually Rita was happy, which was the most important thing, as far as he was concerned.

Until Doomsday arrived, Rita had been free to have her ant farm and jars of
Renita D'Silva
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Astoundingly beautiful, incredibly powerful, a powerhouse of a book. This author never ceases to amaze - book after book she stuns and beguiles with her beautiful prose and her wonderful stories. While her books are always making a point or several - this book is about racism, prejudice, self discovery, conservation, humanity- they also always tell a great, great story. This author is one of the most versatile writers I've read and yet whatever the genre her books are masterpieces. And this book ...more
Jenny W
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Many thanks @netgalley and @bookouture for this advance reader copy of Sharon Maas’ latest novel, The Far Away Girl set for publication on 2nd March.

Based in 1970's Georgetown, Guyana, a landscape and culture I'm not overly familiar with, Maas sets the scene beautifully. Her imagery and scene setting is like no other, telling a story like no other as we follow young Rita and her father Jitty.

Rita lost her mother at an early age, in a way not known to her (which has been kept a staunch secret by
Shirley McAllister
Daddy's Secret

Rita is a seven year old girl living in Guyana in the 1970's. She is happy living with her happy go lucky father and her animals. She hasn't a care in the world until all of a sudden she has a stepmother Chandra. She does not get along with her stepmother who always puts her down for being half-caste, not that she is sure what that means but she thinks it is because she has kinky hair. Then she has a little sister, she loves her sister but she is annoying at times.

Rita wonders wha
theliterateleprechaun
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads, netgalley
The beautiful cover of this book captured my attention at first and when I read that it was set in Guyana, I knew I had to read it! You see, I know nothing about Guyana and I love to learn as I read. The best person to teach you something, is someone who has experienced it themselves. Fortunately, the author, Sharon Maas hails from British Guiana and therefore, she had a treasure trove of experiences and memories from which to draw for her story. Did you know that Guyana is in South America? It’ ...more
Corrie Anne Stacey
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written story about seven year old Rita, who lives with her dad Jitty in Georgetown Guyana. She is pretty spoiled and allowed to do whatever makes her heart happy. She loves animals and nature, which often see’s her bringing home stray animals, playing wherever she likes, happy in her own little world.
But this all changes when her dad remarries and her step mother Chandra puts a stop to all her fun. Rita spends a lot of time thinking about her own mum who died when she was
Pamela Scott
zoha chaudhri
TMR
Jan 11, 2021

• The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz
  • When the World Stood Still: Heartbreaking historical fiction set in the time of Spanish flu
  • The Girl from Berlin
  • Close My Eyes
  • The German Girl
  • The Lost Mother
  • A Killer's Daughter (Agent Nadine Finch, #1)
  • Not Without My Sister: A compelling and heartbreaking WW2 historical novel
  • When Twilight Breaks
  • The Moonlight School
  • When No One is Watching
  • The Sky Worshipers
  • A Baby on the Doorstep (The Orphans of Hope House #2)
  • Love Your Life
  • Return to the Island (Amherst Island #3)
  • While Paris Slept
  • Julia’s Baby: a gripping romantic crime thriller series (Book 2) set in West Sussex and Ireland
  • Murder at the Races (Rosa Reed #6)

Sharon Maas was born in Georgetown, Guyana in 1951, and a sense of adventure has followed her around the world. In 1971 she spent a year backpacking around South America, followed by a few months with pioneering friends in the Guyana rainforest, followed by an overland trip to India, followed by a year in a Hindu Ashram.

She settled in Germany where she married, studied, worked, and raised children

News & Interviews