Start by marking “Psicomagia” as Want to Read:
Psicomagia

Psicomagia

A healing path using the power of dreams, theater, poetry, and shamanism

• Shows how psychological realizations can cause true transformation when manifested by concrete poetic acts

• Includes many examples of the surreal but successful actions Jodorowsky has prescribed to those seeking his help

While living in Mexico, Alejandro Jodorowsky became familiar with the colorful
Published November 1st 2005 by Random House Spanish (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Psicomagia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psicomagia

Start your review of Psicomagia
Lee
I'll be processing this one a while. Completely changing the way I think of healing, art and the unconscious mind. His approach to healing takes Marinetti's statement "Poetry is an act" to the most fascinating extreme. His idea of the 'panic party'...the importance of a positive effect of art (something I would have scoffed at before)...I could sum it all up as, "Better living through metaphor." Really excellent to read as a companion to Jung's Psychology and Alchemy, which I read earlier this ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Either extremely crazy or extremely innovative or both.
Q:
“The consultant buys a bottle of fake blood at a theater supply store and once every lunar month, for four days, imitates having a period by putting some of this blood into the vagina and preventing it from gushing out by using a tampon. After repeating this for four months, the consultant’s period will return to normal.”
(c)
Q:
“Although often with good intentions, our parents and teachers attribute negative definitions to us, which last
Juan Luzuriaga
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A mind opening experience, it's LSD on paperback, a great read.
Brandon St Mark
This was a really interesting book, and there are a lot of concepts and messages that I really like. Would definitely recommend!
Brandon St Mark
Really interesting continuation of the Psychomagic series by Jodo.
Autumn Christian
I wasn't a huge fan of this book, as I was expecting something that was more of a guidebook and this was more of an extended interview - Jodorowsky is obviously brilliant, but it was dripping with that whole "I say I don't have an ego, but I have an ego," kind of vibe. There are some fascinating stories of magical spells, - but I don't have much patience for anyone who claims to be magician and doesn't take into things like account confirmation bias or placebo effect. Perhaps Jodorowsky is ...more
Blair Emsick
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodorowsky is a hoot! This book isn't to be taken lightly, but also neither too seriously either. Naturally after reading it everything has changed for me. Some very strange things happened to me while reading this (I literally had my head busted open!) Some of my favorite bits from the book: wanting to heal other people is egotistical. Yet, if you don't share your knowledge with others it will die. Interpret your life like it's a dream. Drugs take you from the cellar to the roof ...more
Iroquois
This was plain cray!
But still, interesting in its weirdness lol.
Rommel
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you don't know who Jodorowsky is, you may recognize the name from movies like "El Topo", and "The Holy Mountain", which are surreal, mystical, some may say crazy movies about humanity that debuted in the 60's and 70's.

In discovering art throughout his life, Jodorowsky went on a journey to learn about poetry, public art, directing films, Tarot, Shamanism,the subconscious mind, among other things, and from all this work he concluded that the subconscious understands in metaphors.

In this book
Aydin Mohseni
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aydin by: Andrew
This book, for me, tugs mischievously on two chords:

The first, that it compels me to laugh at myself, knowing that possibly only a year ago, I would have dismissed it out of hand for its 'belligerently irrational' premise.

The second that it provides such delicious and irresistibly applicable inspiration for ways to expand the domain of my social and psychological play. >:D

When I think of acting and theater, Jodorowsky along with Daniel Day-Lewis exemplify two of the azimuths of its unique and
Fernando Suarezserna
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're willing to go through the hard-to-believe stories of Jodorowsky, this book will give you great insight on creativity.

Many people don't like Jodorowsky because they believe he's a weirdo. And he definitely is. I don't believe any critic reader will stand on Jodorowsky's side at all times, so his books turn into a kind of active reading, where you have to discern which ideas work for you and which ones don't. If you're willing to do that kind of reading, you'll get A LOT out of his
Marcy Rae Henry
Jun 04, 2016 is currently reading it
un momento de sinceridad:
i have been 'reading' this for quite some time. admittedly, it's placed in a place where one can and should read but very little. that's because it is not the type of book to read cover to cover. it's good in spurts. good to open pages at random--alejandro himself would appreciate that! i don't know how transformative it is, but it is entertaining in parts. nowhere near as engaging as his 'the spiritual journey of...'
Trish Perdue
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly easy book to read, in part because of the interview
format. Despite the complexity of some of the topics, Jodorwsky
has a way of making them approachable. I particularly enjoyed
the chapter on lucid dreaming. I enjoy his tweets and Facebook
postings - gems of wisdom for a broader audience.
This is a book for the curious and open-minded. I am strongly
drawn to science and logic, but the mystery of Magick whispered
alluringly in my ear as I read this book.
Clivemichael
An indulgence or satire- ridiculous, bizarre and infantile "remedies" for a variety of concerns. Many illegal, immoral and highly questionable in effacacy.
"The metaphors and symbols should materialize into actions."
"Leaving the church she should go to a bakery and devour six cakes. Then she should dress from head to foot in new clothes and change her name." perhaps in another time....
Huber Castaneda
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a great book to expand on thought and imagination. Looking forward to read more of Alejandro's books to keep thinking outside the box.
chuunifuck
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jodo a cute
Anne Earney
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was a fascinating read. I haven't seen any of Jodorowsky's films and I wasn't really into the theater acts described in the first part of the book (wasn't even sure I'd finish the book at that point) . But then I enjoyed the letters about psychomagic, even if they were a bit long.and became much more interested in what he had to say.

However, my favorite part was the last, An Accelerated Course in Creativity. The ways he suggests for opening up to your creativity are unlike anything I've
Taka
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, therapy
Good!

Really liked the first part (which was what was originally published as Psychomagic) and the second part that was later appended to the original felt really disconnected and a bit too out there for me (Jodorowsky there felt a bit too optimistic, too open, maybe even too naive and blindly faithful of human progress assisted by technology (esp. genetics). Or maybe I'm way too influenced by the acerbic realism (or pessimism, depending on your view) of John Gray to accept Jodorowsky's more
Gibran
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good summary of psycho magic and trans-formative therapy.

Psycomagic can be broken down to the power of symbolic action, of objects as unconscious language and of embodiment of new behaviors. It is changing the inner by changing the external. Contrary to psychoanalysis that would aim at restructuring beliefs and identities to then change lifestyle and behavior.

The role of tarot to explain the present and past, rather than future.

Many practical examples of how healing works, how to guide
Esther
Oct 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
2 thoughts/ 2 sides of the coin:

1) The shaman is a sham, psycho-hullabaloo-ballooney.

2) I really wanted to understand Jodorowsky’s creative mechanism hence attempts to plow through the chapters, extracted this:
a) embracing the illogical as intuitive process however strange
b) one gains more by giving
“what you give, you give to yourself, what you do not give, you give up” (p245) on understanding life and sharing knowledge.

Common sense surrealist antics with too long bogus-hocus-pocus-locust
Cheryl Penn
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not have words to describe this book. Whoa...I went back and forth between thinking the author is crazy or brilliant or both. Probably both. There are some serious insights in this book especially around dreams and consciousness. It's written in Question/Answer format so you can skip around. Honestly it's the second half of the book that intrigued me. Not for everyone. But if you already have an interest (read the Amazon synopsis) this may add spice to your spice jar!
Cal Godot
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely transformative. Not for the faint of heart or feeble of imagination. Possibly this book should carry a warning: MAY TRIGGER MID-LIFE CRISIS! If transformative psychotherapeutic rebirth and enlightenment are a "crisis." But you have been warned: this book will change you. Or at least make you wish for change. Which, as you will learn by reading this book, may be just enough.
Christopherseelie
Interesting take on communicating with the subconscious to heal core wounds and solve mundane problems. Jodorowsky gives some principles of psychomagic and then a compendium of ails and curative rituals. At a distance, these appear to being daring acts of performance art that alleviate personal ills. I'm willing to believe that there's more to it.
Javier
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodo is a genius.
Jo
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the best works, it outdates itself.
In his own words, "a warrior doesn't leave footprints..."
Jordan Ferreira
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surreal metaphysical auto-biography with pearls of wisdom from an exemplary cross-disciplinary artist.
Lujain
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
mystic drunkenness
Stephen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another I will be re-reading in the not-far future. We need more Jodorowskys in the world.
Juliette
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most beautiful, illuminating books ever. It is essential reading for anyone with an open mind and heart, who wants to take their reality, and make it extraordinary.
Li
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Li by: My sister
Shelves: read-fiction
I find there are conflicts that contradict psychomagic in context to religion--when Jodorowsky maintains a contrarian approach towards religion in terms of modern culture. He quotes a lot of Buddha--eastern religions(Many who are against religion seem to find Buddhism a legitimate excuse to study a "religion", but not Judaism, Islam, or Christianity. Buddhism is seen as a permissible religion to poke at and examine with interest). This not only makes me question his opposition towards religion, ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Marcel Duchamp: The Afternoon Interviews
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Fire from Within
  • Impro for Storytellers (Theatre Arts)
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art
  • México bizarro
  • Nadja
  • Grapefruit: A Book of Instructions and Drawings
  • PREGUNTALE A ALICIA
  • Où atterrir ?
Also credited as Alexandro Jodorowsky

Better known for his surreal films El Topo and The Holy Mountain filmed in the early 1970s, Alejandro Jodorowsky is also an accomplished writer of graphic novels and a psychotherapist. He developed Psychomagic, a combination of psychotherapy and shamanic magic. His fans have included John Lennon and Marilyn Manson.
“One does not go to the theater to escape from himself, but to reestablish contact with the mystery that we all are.” 23 likes
“One becomes wise only in measures, as he goes through his own insanity.” 21 likes