Start by marking “Someone Builds the Dream” as Want to Read:
Someone Builds the Dream

Someone Builds the Dream

Buildings, bridges, and books don't exist without the laborers who are often invisible in the final product, as this joyous and profound picture book reveals.

All across this great big world, jobs are getting done
by many hands in many lands. It takes much more than ONE.

Gorgeously written and illustrated, this is an eye-opening exploration of the many types of work that go i
Published March 23rd 2021 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Someone Builds the Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Builds the Dream

Start your review of Someone Builds the Dream
Oxford Exchange Bookstore
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oe-kidshelf
“All across this great big world there’s lots of work to do.
It takes a team to build a dream, a skilled, hard-working crew.”

Someone Builds the Dream is a picture book dedicated to tradesmen and skilled workers around the world, who take the dreams of others and make them into a reality.

We’re so pleased to bring yet another one of Loren Long’s illustrations into the bookstore. You might recognize his style of art from his edition of The Night Before Christmas, released this past December. In any
Carol  V
This is a wonderful poetic story. Each double page spread tributes the work force that plays a major part in creating dreams and building these dreams. It takes a team of people to make a dream happen. Readers will ponder this and perhaps develop a better appreciation of our labor workforce.

This book is a great vocabulary builder for a theme on Careers and Our Labor Force. A few words to consider: architect, plane, engineer, ore, smelt, beam, weld, trench, solder, plumb, physics, ecology, amuse
Margie
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Prior to employment in what would be his last position, he worked in construction. After that, every working hour for forty-one years, this man labored in the same factory. He was a welder, a pipefitter, and a machinist. If something did not work as efficiently as it should, he would build a better one. He, like so many, was a thinker and a doer.

In a wonderfully poetic and slice-of-life artwork portrait, this man and countless other women and men are honored. Written by Lisa Wheeler with illustr
Darla
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
All across this great big world
there's lots of work to do.
It takes a team to build a dream,
a skilled hard-working crew.
So when you see a bicycle,
a playground, house, or shoe,
remember all the someones who
helped make a dream come true.

A new picture book to remind us of the many hands that improve our world in so many ways. Great minds design bridges, amusement parks, green energy systems, etc. Those designs don't come to life unless workers use their hands, feet, and muscle to build them.
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
Highlights all the hard work done by the people not often highlighted--the people who build the dream houses, the bridges, the architectural marvels--even the people who make the physical books.

After a year of reading many picture book biographies highlighting the dreamers, this is a refreshing look and reminder that while an architect and an engineer may design a bridge, there are hundreds and thousands of people who pour the concrete, drive the rucks, and contribute to the actual building of a
Greta
Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lovely illustrations that work in complement with the poetic verse telling the story of the value of those who not only dream the dream, but also those who make the dream come to life by their specific skills and labor.

Lisa Wheeler, author, and Loren Long, illustrator, work in concert together, through their impeccable skills and creative genius, to produce this wonderful book honoring not only the individuals who dream ideas, but also those who, through their abilities, “build the dreams.”

Bea
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Love how this book has tons of construction equipment! And, at least in my eyes, it's accurate. The illustrator also drew Otis, which I loved. But it's educational for kids--an architect does one thing, but then other people have to make the dream happen. And I can see kids pointing and naming all the equipment. Adults will notice the great inclusion of all types of people, too. ...more
Ellon
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love how this book is an ode to the builders that we often forget about or write off. This book puts a spotlight on the laborers and makes the reader realize how important they are. I just wish that the connection between the first jobs (architect, scientist, etc.) and the builders were connected with an AND instead of a BUT. The BUT makes the first job mentioned seem trivial.

The illustrations for this book are gorgeous!
Mary
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful picture book that honors the dreamers and builders who work hard to make their creations a reality. We see the architect, the engineer, the artist, the scientist, a park designer, and finally an author and illustrator, all with a plan. We also see the many, many workers who are involved in making that dream a reality. Wheeler's lovely rhyming text and Long's gorgeous illustrations work well to make this an inspiring celebration of the dreamers and builders in our communities. ...more
Angela
Shelves: picture-books
A powerhouse duo creates a powerhouse of a picture book. Inclusionary illustrations first grabbed our attention, but the message that there are LOTS of DIVERSE people behind everything we create is the core message, and it's a long-awaited, beautifully presented one. High-Five to Lisa, Loren and the editorial direction behind this exceptional book. ...more
Frederic
Shelves: children-ya
OK, I have a bit of a bias here because a good friend is featured in one of the illustrations. But this is a good book, as someone who lives in higher education I fully endorse and support the focus on those who build and construct in various forms. The text is affirmative and engaging, and I quite liked the artwork.
Becky
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book with an amazing tribute to the many skilled workers and anyone in the trades fields. Readers get to explore the behind the scenes work that so few know and understand.

The level of detail in the illustrations is incredible and the inclusiveness and representation throughout the book is glorious. Loren Long’s artistic talent shines on every page.
Sandy
Apr 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
An inspiring celebration of teamwork. This book features simple text that highlights the many people who work on a project, from architects to welders. Also includes color, inclusive illustrations. My child would have liked a bit more explanation on what the different jobs entailed, as the illustrations required some explanation for a young reader.
kelly
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of the best picture books so far this year 2021. It emphasizes that it takes all of us to make dreams, ideas, plans come true. This is a very important message for all to hear. We are all connected!
Aolund
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
A rhyming celebration of the many people who work together to create the many human-made creations around us, including bridges, houses, theme parks, books, and more.

Themes: STEM, Buildings, Teamwork, Dreams, Creativity
Age range: Kindergarten and Early Elementary
Melissa the Librarian
LOVED this book! It's so cool to see the behind-the-scenes work that goes into building "the dream." I like the contrast between blue collar and white collar jobs that dignifies both types of work. Will definitely be using this book for storytime in the future. ...more
Maeve
A tribute to all of the people involved in building and constructing the buildings all around us.

Good, lyrical text with nice illustrations of all the people who work in construction.

Storytime:
-Construction
Cheryl
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
This is a beautiful picture book, a beautiful encouraging inclusive story with gorgeous illustrations!!
Kathryn
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved message of this book and the images were also great
Great Books
Mar 24, 2021 is currently reading it
Shelves: 21-ages-3-5
reviewer #12
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Stella Comer
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful words and illustrations.
Lexi
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful and inclusive picture book❤️❤️❤️
Lisa D
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful & inspiring book sure to be a big hit by two favorite authors! Loved it!
Karen
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book will help children understand that dreams on paper need people who work to build the dream. Excellent message with stunning illustrations.
Robin
Apr 07, 2021 rated it liked it
I like the theme and illustrations but the meter of some the rhymes was jarring to my ears.
Jeanne
Apr 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal!
Earl
Mar 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
A joyous celebration of teamwork. Spotlights those who may not get credit for a job well done.

• Milo Imagines the World
  • Watercress
  • My Monster and Me
  • In My Mosque
  • See the Cat: Three Stories About a Dog
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Unspeakable: The Tulsa Race Massacre
  • Zonia's Rain Forest
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »