Start by marking “The Pretty Place” as Want to Read:
The Pretty Place

The Pretty Place

Ivy Marshall wasn't expecting the summer before starting high school to end the way it did. She had so many plans, from exploring the sprawling back fields of her town with her best friend, Robyn, to swimming in the muddy waters of Lake Scugog. Becoming the neighbourhood outcast when her mother became ill didn't quite fit into her itinerary. Ivy hadn't anticipated that the ...more
Published November 20th 2020 by FriesenPress

To ask other readers questions about The Pretty Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pretty Place

Start your review of The Pretty Place
Rose Del Gatto
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was well written, riveting and a great read! It sure had me hooked. Living in Durham, I felt a connection to the area and the author. The story of a young girl and an unforgettable summer, the lessons learned, mental illness and alcoholism and broken fragments of life.....intriguing. I couldn’t put it down!
Angela Casey
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I did not want to put this book down. The Pretty Place was such a fun read as the author had me laughing out loud through all of its witty narrative despite the gravity of the storyline. This book is easily relatable in one way or another, and it has a plot twist that will both lead you and leave you in suspense from beginning to end.
Eric
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good read, couldn’t put this book down!
Lisa Yerilin
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Impressive debut novel. Complex and beautifully descriptive, takes you right into the heart of small-town Ontario. The plot keeps you guessing right until the end. Definitely worth a read!
Charlette Cachia Brothers
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have really enjoyed reading this debut novel from beginning to end! I love the story and how it kept me on my toes. There’s a little bit of everything in this book, from laughter to sadness and everything in between! A definite must read!!
Steph Les
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST READ book that will keep you guessing. I could not put it down. I loved the main character, the setting and the nostalgia. It manages to be hilarious while touching on poignant issues like mental health - all while set in my favourite decades! This was an amazing debut novel and I cannot wait to see what this author does next.
Laura Sarnecki
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous coming of age novel, I highly recommend this!
Ken
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book keeps you turning the pages. The author has the ability to put you in her place and keep you with her throughout the book. A great read with a twist.Looking forward to her next work!
Ellen Leslie
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Looking forward to this new authors next book.
Lesley Geddes
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything! Suspense, mystery, comedy and drama! I couldn’t put it down and never knew what was coming next. A must read!
Andy Sanchez
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for a coming of age story and this book just had so much nostalgia for me. The author transported me to a familiar place and time and once I started to get comfortable I was sent down a winding road with unexpected and exciting turns. The story is a unique mix; clever, funny, and suspenseful. It’s a hidden gem.
Tom Garo
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book's cover caught my attention and was so pleased that it did.
It manages to include humour and wit, while dealing with very sensitive issues.
Ivy (main) character was very engaging and believable. This dark, suspenseful tale challenges us to understand the complexity of mental illness without preconceived judgements.
I would highly recommend this read!
Kyle Clark
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an incredible debut novel written by an author who has put her heart and soul into every last word. If you like coming of age novels with a suspenseful twist you'll love this. Must read for sure!!! ...more
Amanda Garton
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The pretty place was such a pleasure to read. Very well written and really hits close to home having grown up close to the town the book takes place in. It was definitely a page turner and hard to put down! Would highly recommend this novel for anyone looking for a read that incorporates comedy and mystery!
Aileen
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic novel, I couldn’t put it down. Very descriptive, you feel as if you are right there with the main character. A definite must-read!!
Marie C.
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a friend. I really enjoyed the humour and time period!
I had to read the last 12 chapters until the end, was suspenseful and not predictable. Loved the twists and turns. Laughed and cried. Great 3 day read.
Jan 07, 2021
Feb 11, 2021
Lynette Scott
Feb 24, 2021
Laura Leslie
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Briana Lopresti

• Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Vanishing Half
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • The Last Mrs. Parrish
  • Conceal, Don't Feel (A Twisted Tale: Frozen)
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • The Guest List
  • The Book of Longings
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas - The Complete Novel
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II
  • Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy