Start by marking “Raven Woman's Tavern” as Want to Read:
Raven Woman's Tavern

Raven Woman's Tavern

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5 ratings  ·  6 reviews
‪A backwoods bar run by a shapeshifter.‬

A road that changes length, direction, and destination.‬

A young man, lost in the forest and dying, hears the cry of a raven.‬

‪Set in a dystopic near future, Raven Woman’s Tavern is the story of a collection of survivalists who are squatting in the remains of a dead timber town in the Northwest. The residents—most of them old, sick,
Published December 8th 2020 by Who Chains You

To ask other readers questions about Raven Woman's Tavern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven Woman's Tavern

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Raven Woman's Tavern
K.T. Munson
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Overall

This novella hosts a myriad of characters that are as vibrant as they are interesting. It feels at times that the author is recounting a true series of stories in the future. This are surprisingly insightful characters and rather oblivious ones, a believable balance. It is an interesting dynamic of real and surreal story telling that is captivating. The plot is gripping and its setting’s colorful. Is it a hopeful commentary on times forgotten or a dark commentary how far we as a species h
Scott Peters
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
This story is a bleak look at a possible time to come. It begins with a lyrical tale told by a raven who lives in the woods and has witnessed the destruction wrought by human development.

Set in the near future, people now reside in those woods—living grim, hardscrabble lives. Their struggles are woven together, intersecting and affecting each other in various ways. Bits of magic are blended into the narrative, causing the story to take different turns. People are faced with tough decisions, and
Donnally Miller
Mar 26, 2021 rated it liked it
Warning: this review contains spoilers.
There is some good writing in Raven Woman’s Tavern but the story has not reached its final form. There are bits and pieces that don’t coalesce into a unified whole. Start with the title: it doesn’t direct the reader towards the main conflict in the story; it’s just a vague scene setting, as though the author didn’t know the story she wanted to tell.
The first chapter is dynamite and grabs the reader’s attention right away, but it doesn’t fit with the rest o
Lee Hall
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'll admit the first line of this book's blurb caught my attention straight away and the reading experience that followed did not disappoint. The powerful prologue sets the scene of a remote forest setting where man came, destroyed and then left again but the constant being 'Raven' who is a powerful deciding figure among the trees and a place where this book finds it's setting.

"Animals, plants and people, came and went, but Raven stayed..."

Most dystopian futures focus on cities or even the masse
Laura Koerber
Dec 09, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is not a review! Just a little background for the story. The raven in the tale is not Raven, the concept/character of PNW tribal culture. On the contrary, I drew from Celtic tradition and my raven is a "puca" or shapeshifter combined with a genius loci, or goddess of a place. In Celtic tradition, the genius loci was usually associated with a spring or small lake, but my raven is associated with a meadow by a river.

The rest of the story borrows heavily from Maslow and his hierarchy of needs
Marc Roche
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I must say!

The characters have depth and seem real in their behaviours and in their relationships with each other. This is REALLY hard to achieve, but it has been done brilliantly in this book.

They struggle to survive in a world destroyed by climate change, where law enforcement is handled by militias. Raven pulls the strings in the background and decides who lives and who dies. It’s mystical, gritty, scary, comforting and real, all at the same time. Love it.
Louise
Apr 09, 2021
Cynthia
Apr 09, 2021

• The Collector
  • Business English Communication: Advanced Skills ©. Master English for Business & Professional Purposes. How to Communicate at Work: +700 Online Business ... Resources. Business English Originals ©
  • I Escaped The Salem Witch Trials: Salem, Massachusetts 1692
  • The Last Flight
  • Payment in Blood (Inspector Lynley, #2)
  • One Stolen Christmas (A Festive Novel from the Romance for the Seasons Collection)
  • Operation Bluebird
  • Out of the Madhouse and into The Doghouse: Meno-paws-al Social Worker escapes the UK rat-race and escapes to working with dogs in Spain.
  • Incidentia MMX
  • Searching for Sarah
  • How to Market a Book: Overperform in a Crowded Market (Reedsy Marketing Guides #1)
  • Judd
  • Honeymoon Alone
  • I Can Do Stories : Book 1
  • A Fairy Awesome Story (A Fairy Awesome Story, #1)
  • Hades and Persephone ficlets
  • Zendar: A Tale of Sand
I live on a island in the Puget Sound with my husband and my dogs. I am a retired teacher, presently doing in -home care for disabled people while volunteering at a dog rescue

My degree is in art, and I am a painter, graphic artist, and ceramic sculptor. The writing started about five years ago, a surprise to me and everyone who knows me, since I had never written anything before.

The review for my