Start by marking “All Kidding Aside (Magical Mates #1)” as Want to Read:
All Kidding Aside (Magical Mates #1)

All Kidding Aside

(Magical Mates #1)

Listening Length 7 hours and 48 minutes

Building houses for a pack of orphans might lead one griffin to find his heart’s home.

Victor Eastaughffe knows three things for a fact:
-He does not have a mate.
-He does not like children.
-His duty is to his griffin clan.

When Victor meets Orsen Riggs, a scruffy bear shifter, and little Gus, an orphaned red panda cub, his orderly, str
Audible Audio, 8 pages
Published November 25th 2020 by Macy Blake (first published July 28th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about All Kidding Aside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Kidding Aside

Start your review of All Kidding Aside (Magical Mates #1)
☆ Todd
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After the "Chosen One" prequel book being such a huge hit for me, as soon as I saw that there was a spin-off book about Nick and the rescued shifter kids, I was sooooooo there for it. : )

Riggs was a bear shifter, working construction, only passing through the area, who got enlisted to help Nick finish all of the housing for his new pack and their soon-to-be parents, with no expectations of the situation becoming permanent.

And griffin shifter Victor, Eduard's cousin from the earlier "Chosen One"
Barbara➰
I loved this for the most part. Both Riggs and Victor deserved a mate and little Gus-Gus was the sweetest piece to bring them together.

Now, Victor got on my nerves a little with his denial that he couldn't have Riggs or Gus and I wanted to strangle him when he ran. I hate runners. But I was equally disappointed in Riggs that he didn't go after Victor and demand he come home. Other than that, it would have been the perfect mate story. I'm looking forward to more in the series. I love Nick's pack!
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Reread 8/3/2020 yes. I read it again. What of it? 😒 I had a crap day and decided that Gus-Gus was the answer.

reread # who knows? 8/31/2020 I've read this so many times since it came out. I've just given up on counting (or bothering to count them all here). Comfort rereads are the name of the game right now.

———-original review 8/1/2020————-

I needed this. I smiled and grinned through the majority of the book. Gus was the best. He was a major part of the story without taking over. I would love to
Cadiva
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this new series starter

Victor finds his family in a really lovely opening entry to this new series from Macy set in the Chosen Universe.

I adored Riggs and Gus, the cutest red panda shifter in the whole world ❤

Loved how Macy set up this new series which is going to be following the extended family now that mates are a thing again.

There's guest appearances from most of the usual suspects and the secondary plot lines are focused on how the supernatural world is dealing with the new magic an
Jewel
3.5 Stars

All Kidding Aside was so sweet, I'm pretty sure I need to see my dentist. I love the universe this series takes place in and I am looking forward to seeing where this part of it goes. I miss the conflict we had in the last 2 series over the bullheadedness we get so far, here, however.

I did enjoy All Kidding Aside...but...Victor held onto his abject stubbornness way too fucking long. Seriously, for over 3/4 of the book there was a constant refrain in his inner monologue that Riggs and Gu
Len Evans Jr
Will review in the morning!
Debra
This book was a bit lighter than the others in The Chosen One universe it's spun-off from, and being set in Ben's community for the orphaned children it had all sorts of cuteness along with the romance and just a bit of tension and action.

Orsen is new to the pack and working as a builder while Victor was introduced in the previous series. (I think it may be tough reading this as a standalone for all the background and characters popping in and out.) They are complete opposites working together a
JoAnn
Aww such a super sweet addition to the Chosen universe.
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Bear!

Bird!

Man ooh man! I ADORED dat’ red panda. I also loved the add of Jet.

Victor was so very hard to like. His stubbornness went on to long. I hated him more when(view spoiler) The romance eventually righted itself but, that scene damped my mood.

The kids made this book for me. They were so adorable to read.["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Viz
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! For me Macy's series is a hit or miss. Its' in the Chosen world in Nick's pack. The MCs are strong characters who 'fear' kids and how they end up loving them. The whole story runs seamlessly. The ending could have been a bit predictable but love the journey.
Will I follow the series? Yes, yes and yes!!
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer☠Pher☠ by: Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so glad that we are getting more stories in this Universe!

This is exactly what I needed and I really am looking forward to more.

I loved the cameos!

Good stuff.
Karolina Cebula
"All Kidding Aside" is the first volume in the "Magical Mates" series by Macy Blake and the first novel by this author I have read so far. However, it is certainly not the last one, as I fell in love with the author's universe and I want to return to this amazing world as soon as possible. And since I've already started writing about this topic... People for whom "All Kidding Aside" is the first adventure in the colorful, fascinating and full of magical creatures world created by Macy Blake will ...more
Relly
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, b-2020-read
Excellent

4 stars

Great new series from Macy Blake. It can stand alone, but to get the whole picture it is best to read the Chosen One and Hellhounds Series first. I love the way this story continues the story in a different focus from the other series

I loved Riggs and Victor. Victor was harder to get to know as he was so stubborn and he did annoy me in parts of the book, but when he was on he was great. Riggs with his steady personality and calm nature was a good foil. When needed Riggs ramped it
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thank you for the gift, A Naughty West Coast Elf!
Dixiecowgirl
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging introduction to a new spin-off series in the Chosen Universe.  This series picks up with Nick and The Smith Pack and all the shifter children that were rescued in the last few books. The story-line is solid and the flow is just perfect.  I so enjoyed reading this book and the writing was really good.

Oh I love Victor and Orsen!   They are a beautiful example of how the contrasts and differences in backgrounds and personalities can make the very best partnerships. These MC's are both w
Jacquie Stewart
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gus ❤️

Beyond sweet and overloaded with cuteness on the form of Gus. Loved the first in this new series. It would be helpful to have read The Chosen One series first as events are referred to.
Johann Shah
Staying true to the title, the first ten chapters of the book really made me rolling on the floor laughing my arse off.

Story: 5/5
Main Characters: 5/5

“I picked you. It’s done. You’re stuck with me now, you hear me?”
“I hear you.”
“Good. Now gimme your damn kid ’cause you guys gotta work through your shit, and it’s probably gonna end with lots of screaming and moaning. At least if you do it right, which I assume you do. Dear Goddess, please tell me being an alpha doesn’t mean giving sex advice too?
Beth
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this first book in the spin off from the Chosen One series. I read most of those books and the Hellhound books but I was missing a few key details going in to this book. Not enough to make the story totally confusing but I think I would have been on much better footing had I read all of the Chosen One series first. So I’d recommend that you read those books before starting this one.

In this book Eduard’s cousin Victor is summoned to help Alpha Nick with his pack and all the childre
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
***narration review only***

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I enjoyed this narration. I know I’m in the minority, but I’m really not a fan of this narrator. Not sure why, but their voice usually rubs me the wrong way (think nails on a chalkboard). Thing is, this is one of my favorite books of the year. That really caused me some serious heartache when this audio was released. I bought it anyway. I’m so glad that I did. I’m still not a fan, but I was able to enjoy this quite a bit witho
Nanna Sander
3.5 stars.

Super cute story and a good beginning to a new series, but not the strongest Macy Blake book ever in my opinion.

I love the compound and Nick's pack, I love Gus. I do wish there had been more focus on plot rather than sex, and it was definitely insta-love, which is not my favorite.

I wish we had also been allowed to see more of Jett, so I'm hoping that will happen later in the series. I know that Walt and Shelly are a m/f couple (and already established), but I wish we could see some of
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Gay Romance Reviews, I was gifted my copy of this book.
So, apart from one thing, I LOVED this book!
It has magic, and shifters, and mates, and sexy times, and emotional times, and . . .and . . .and. . .everything one could wish for, in a male/male shifter mates book.
Riggs is a bear shifter and Victor a griffin. Gus is a red panda baby who wants nothing more than his bird and his bear. But said bird doesn’t think he will ever be a dad, and said bird thinks he will never
Brandyn L
Fantastic New Series

OhMyGracious, what a lovely first installment into a new series!!
In this book, the reader gets a bit of everything & and everyone. We have the Jerricks, the Smiths, the Eastaughffes. We get to read of the Chosen One & his mates, bears, lions, wolves, brownies, griffins, fae, vampires, hellhounds, Valkyrie ... There are more precious cubs to meet, former cubs growing up ...
This new series revolves around Nick’s 40+ rescued children finding their new forever families. ‘All K
Celine
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet read

This was such a sweet, amazing read.

I really enjoyed Riggs and Victor's story. They are total opposites but it works so well as they balance each other out as life throws them a few curve balls.

I really enjoyed this book. It can standalone, thought it's much better read after the others, for the back story.

I can't wait for the next book
P Leslie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, shifters, arc-review
I fell in love with little Gus Gus - he was adorable and I loved how he called Rigg bear and Victor Bird. The little surprise towards the end made my heart melt.

Rigg and Victor were hot between the sheets but they took their sweet time figuring out why they were drawn to each other. There were times I wanted to bang their heads together - so they can clearly see what was right in front of them for the taking.

Fantastic book; I laughed, smiled and even shed a tear or two. There was one touch and
Misneach
Shelves: favorites
Gosh this was one of the cutest things I've ever read. Looking forward to reading the next books. ...more
Mimi
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So glad to be back in The Chosen universe, even if we get cameos of our favorite poly group of supernaturals. Great beginning, looking forward more.
Dani Elle Maas
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If i could i would rate it more then 5 stars
this is absolutely one of the best books i have read this year for sure!
I am so glad to see miss Blake doing spin off of her fabulous chosen one universe!
Cindi
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, m-m, series
I had planned to go back and read a book from another series by this author before typing my review. I changed my mind.

All Kidding Aside takes place in another of the author's worlds. Well, two of them. I didn't know this until after I'd already gotten involved in the story. I've done the crossover books and series more than enough times this year to not want to do it again. I'm interested in seeing where Nick (the alpha) and the orphaned shifters came from but not enough to jump into another s
Ami

I admit, I'm here for the kids 😆

I stumbled into review Todd's for the second book, then felt bloody curious with the first one because, he said rescued shifter kids. I mean, shifter kids are awesome! Although, I may not be a huge fan of shifter stories anymore due to mostly the me/mine/mate factor as well as the numerous sex that usually happen... but SHIFTER KIDS is another matter entirely.

Now, I haven't read ANY of the interconnected universe, so I admit there were a LOT of names that
Anabela.M.
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely brilliant!

The story made me laugh from the first pages, when poor Victor didn't know how to react to little Gus wanting to stay in his arms. Because Victor didn't like kids, noise, germs, dirt...he didn't like anything that could ruin his organized life, really. And then he met Riggs, a distraction in the best ways and a temptation Victor couldn't resist.

Victor and Rigs were a study in contrasts, physically and personality wise, and I absolutely adored them together. Th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Diagnosis Wolf
  • Convincing Conrad (Bodyguard Pack, #1)
  • Protecting Peter (Bodyguard Pack #2)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • How to Hack a Hacker (Unholy Trifecta, #3)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
  • Breath (Scales 'N' Spells #2)
  • The Reluctant Alpha (West Coast Wolves, #1)
  • Cornelius (Warlocks of Amherst #1)
  • Stacking the Deck (The Kings: Wild Cards, #1)
  • Wild Warrior (Weavers Circle #2)
  • How to Lure a Hunter (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #3)
  • The Soldati General (Soldati Hearts, #3)
  • Lovers (Wolves of Royal Paynes, #3)
  • Fire's Mate (Charybdis Station #2)
  • Ruler (Wolves of Royal Paynes #2)
Macy Blake believes in unicorns and fairies, in moonbeams and stardust, and that happily ever after comes in all colors of the rainbow. When she’s not busy at the day job, she loses herself in paranormal romance, living vicariously through her favorite sexy fictional heroes. These days you can often find her pounding away at the keyboard, trying to capture the magic of her own worlds.

Magical Mates (2 books)
  • Stop Kidding Around (Magical Mates #2)

News & Interviews