Start by marking “I Said No! A Kid-To-Kid Guide to Keeping Your Private Parts Private” as Want to Read:
I Said No! A Kid-To-Kid Guide to Keeping Your Private Parts Private

I Said No! A Kid-To-Kid Guide to Keeping Your Private Parts Private

Helping kids set healthy boundaries for their private parts can be a daunting and awkward task for parents, counselors and educators. Written from a kid's point of view, I Said No! makes this task a lot easier. To help Zack cope with a real-life experience he had with a friend, he and his mom wrote a book to help prepare other kids to deal with a range of problematic situa ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Boulden Publishing

Start your review of I Said No! A Kid-To-Kid Guide to Keeping Your Private Parts Private
Scooping it Up
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've ever read helping kids understand and follow their instincts when it comes to not being comfortable in certain situations, how to respond to that discomfort, how to protect themselves, feeling confident saying no, feeling confident identifying unappropriate behavior from anyone, adults they know or strangers, friends. It talks about what a bribe is, and runs children through scenarios practicing how to respond and what they might do.

My kids have not been scared by this
Kate
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent approach to discussing safety, sexual curiosity, and abuse. There are opportunities nearly every page to discuss with your child specifics for your situation (like what YOU call private parts), people you can talk to, scenarios to practice, and how, if you tell someone something is wrong and they don’t help, you should keep telling until someone does, even no one believes you until you call 911. I especially appreciated the straight talk about how an abuser might Lie, Bribe, or Thre ...more
momma.hailey
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With 5 children under 8, this was exactly what I was hoping it would be! I felt like I needed help with the conversation. The best part were the scenarios of tricks and bribes. All of the children understood on their level. Fantastic and I would recommend this to anyone with children.
Caroline
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good resource for parents to talk to their children about tough topics, like sexual abuse. It used kid friendly language and on just about every page there was a pausing point that encouraged children and their caregivers to stop and reflect. I only gave it four stars because I thought it was really lengthy. When explaining something to kids that's beyond what they can totally wrap their heads around, I feel that length is important and I worry kids would lose interest in a story this ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Randie by: Pinterest
"I Said, No!" is a book written by a boy and his mom to teach children how to keep themselves safe from sexual abuse. The book identifies trusted adults as "green flag people" and strangers, friends, etc as "red flag people". Children are taught that red flag people should not touch their privates and vice versa. The book addresses how red flag people might use bribes, threats, and lies to hurt them and provides examples of how children can themselves safe from red flag people. The book also emp ...more
Emi Bevacqua
So happy we happened upon this little gem in the children's non-fiction stacks at our local library! Now that "Stranger Danger" is outmoded, we need a new method of keeping kids safe and this book, written by a kindergarten teacher and her real life son about his actual experience, provides an easy to understand and direct approach to self-protection. I like the interactive format, where prompts are provided to encourage family discussion.

Much like my husband and I when it comes to movies, my t
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I Said No! is good for 4 years and up. I like the level of detail and the what-if scenarios. The language is uncomplicated for children, but also succeeds in making things crystal clear. I also have the book, No Trespassing-This is MY Body by Pattie Fitzgerald. That book is good and Pattie Fitzgerald is an expert in the field of child safety but the book is very general. I recommend both books to parents of small children, but I especially liked I said No! by Kimberly King.
Dayna
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-picture
Solid book for appropriate touch/private parts education. Straightforward with helpful decision-making strategies for kids. Includes multiple specific situations that lead to discussion. Probably best with at least school-age (6+) kiddos and broken up into sections rather than read all in one session. *Uses "heck" for emphasis.
Brittany
I like that this book teaches children to rely on their feelings rather that giving a list of who can and can't see and touch their privates. Kids need to understand that even if it is someone they love, if it makes them feel uncomfortable or scared, it is not okay, and they need to tell someone.
Elizabeth Licitra
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an amazing book. It was very well received by my children, and produced some wonderful, thoughtful conversation with them. I highly recommend it!
Claire
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
has lots of different sections that can be read at different times to break up the discussions.
Pawsitive School  Counselor
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great information- and a lot of it, you probably couldn't really it all in one meeting with a student.
Angela
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is another book I'll be getting for my future children. Many good examples, scenarios, and other things that encourage discussion between parent and child.
Anna
Covers important information but both the 5 year old and I found it tedious to get through.
Kristy
Jul 17, 2012 added it
A little wordy for kids, but very accurate and uses language children can understand.
Charles
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that should be read by all children and their quality caregivers. Together and not separately so the caregiver can engage the child in a conversation about any physical contact that strays into the area of sexual. One of the most positive aspects of the book is that people at all levels are covered, from the stranger to the friend to close relatives such as an aunt, uncle, brother, sister to grandparent. When I was in elementary school, the emphasis was on “the boogeyman” and “Mr ...more
Amanda
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
Heavy on the info, but it is great info. I agree with many reviewers who say this book would be best broken up into sections to cover the material. This book focuses on what to do in a situation where an adult or peer tries to look or handle private parts without consent. I wish there was a section in the book that talked about why it is important to be respectful of others' bodies because it usually goes both ways. Overall, a great book and an important read.
Betty Stockman
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have a child and haven’t had the talk about their private parts, this book is a great place to start. It is thorough, written in child-friendly language, and includes relevant illustrations. I especially like the suggestions for parents included to help guide them through the conversations and important questions to ask relating to a topic many parents find difficult.
Katy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good. Covers all kinds of scenarios (lies, threats, bribes, disbelief to the child, potential of trusted people /friends to hurt) and visually helps the kids solidify red flag feelings. My 5-yr-old hates all kinds of tension in kids' movies and she read this with me just fine. A hard topic done well for little kids.
Molly
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm trying to find a good book for kiddoes on the idea of good touch/bad touch, consent, etc. This one feels like a good conversation starter; but there really aren't many pictures, which I think makes it less engaging for the kids. Important topic- not sure how or when a parent would bring this up, though...
Sebastien
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good book for kids. It basically answers any questions any 7+ year old kid might have about how to recognize and avoid abuse, and how to react if it happens to them. Very straight forward and well written.
Nora Manca Wickman
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Good message, but a bit long and complicated. I'm not sure what age group it is intended for, the language and explanations were very little kid, but the length and storytelling seemed targeted at older kids 🤷🏻‍♀️
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the simple way this book explained a scary topic- it's so important to keep our kids safe from harm and teach them how to watch out for tricky people.
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good but this is a book that seems better suited for a parent/child read rather than the classroom.
Brianna
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book help kids to be able to say no. And to learn to play nice and kind with other kids and not to react harshly. Genre fantasy fiction
Katherine Salinas
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: olivia-read
Cute, eye-catching illustrations leads you into a difficult conversation. First, I liked how it encourages side conversations between you and your child (certain words your family uses for body parts, people you can trust in your family to help take care of/clean private parts, etc). I was a little confused by the introduction of a "red flag person" and "green flag person" because I feel like it would only confuse kids, but helping them understand the emotions/feelings that are associated with p ...more
Jordan
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. It was a perfect way to discuss privacy and personal safety with my 6- and 4-year-old daughters. We had fun reading it, and they both left understanding exactly what to do if they ever find themselves in a "red flag" situation. I can't say enough good things about this book.
Hend Adel
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book with new situations that I never told my son about it. I highly recommended to mothers to read and discuss the open ended questions with your son. Ilustrations are just amazing. I belive it suitable for 3 to 7 years old boys.
Jacob
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shayla Drumm
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is a way to begin a difficult conversation with your child regarding their private parts. It addresses what is OK and what is not OK when keeping private parts private.
sexual abuse prevention 3 4 Mar 11, 2016 12:19PM

• Let's Talk About Body Boundaries, Consent and Respect: Teach children about body ownership, respect, feelings, choices and recognizing bullying behaviors
  • It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends
  • Amazing You: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts
  • Your Body Belongs to You
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
  • Sex is a Funny Word: A Book about Bodies, Feelings, and YOU
  • Who Has What?: All About Girls' Bodies and Boys' Bodies
  • 'Where Did I Come From?': The Facts of Life Without Any Nonsense and With Illustrations
  • Little Blue Truck's Christmas
  • The Day Leo Said I Hate You!
  • NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers
  • Celebrate Your Body (and Its Changes, Too!): The Ultimate Puberty Book for Girls
  • God Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their Bodies
  • My Body Belongs to Me from My Head to My Toes
  • Who's in My Family?: All About Our Families
  • Be a Friend
  • It's Perfectly Normal: A Book about Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health
  • Coronavirus: A Book for Children
Kimberly King is a child-development professional, certified early-childhood educator and speaker. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in early childhood development and family studies from University of Maine and a Master of Science degree in early childhood education. She is the author of
“I Said ‘No!’,” a best-selling children’s book about sexual-abuse prevention, and “When Your Parents Divor

News & Interviews