Start by marking “Seasons Between Us: Tales of Identities and Memories (Laksa Anthology Series #5)” as Want to Read:

From the award-winning series comes an anthology of original hopeful stories centering on "what is a good life?"

What decisions will you make to have a meaningful life? What kind of stories will you leave behind?

Travel with twenty-three science fiction and fantasy authors through the seasons of life to capture the memories, identities, and moments of stepping through the po
Hardcover, Large Print, 624 pages
Published August 8th 2021 by Laksa Media Groups Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Seasons Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seasons Between Us

Start your review of Seasons Between Us: Tales of Identities and Memories (Laksa Anthology Series #5)
Audrey Haylins
This is an interesting and diverse anthology of stories, if a little out of my comfort zone. Some really resonated with me, others not so much. My favorite parts were the ‘advice to younger self’ notes at the end of each contribution, which I found unfailingly wise and revealing. That said, I’m not convinced that the short story format is for me, as they always seem to end just as I’m getting into the characters. I think I’ll probably stick to full-fledged novels from now on.
Andreas
Jul 23, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
What is a life well-lived? This topic clips the 23 stories from a broad range of speculative fiction subgenres together.

I expected much from several outstanding authors like Jane Yolen, Alan Dean Foster (my teenage favorite author), Rich Larson, and Maurice Broaddus. Additionally, I’m always on the hunt for new authors surprising me.

Let’s just say that I didn’t write a single review for any of those stories. Nothing catched my eyes, most of the stories were just mediocre and none of them touched
Luciana Rosa (Bookmark Curiosities)
“Seasons Between Us”, edited by Susan Forest & Lukas K. Law, several authors
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Very good read. It is a collection of short stories, a mix of sci-fi, light fantasy and dystopian. Some are a bit creepy but they mainly exams our relationships with others and with ourselves. I would call it “Black Mirror with a heart”.

They are consistently good stories from beginning to end, a rare thing in collections with different authors.

I liked how in a couple paragraphs the authors transported me
Sally
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fabulously diverse anthology of heartfelt stories, touching dialogues, strong characters and poetry by a well thought out selection of accomplished authors.
I was pleased to be introduced to a few wonderful authors, such as Bev Geddes whose story i did not want to end; Bogi Takac’s endearing and inquisitive protagonist whose perspective of life in Hungary you would forgive because of her innocence and Alan Dean Foster’s wonderful momentary glance into the cosmos.

How inspiring, to add the author
Tabatha Shipley
What I Didn’t Like:
-Lack of cohesion. I love short story collections. This one, however, doesn’t have a clear thread that brings the stories together. There’s no sense of balance to them, nothing tying them together.
-Short stories really need to pack a punch. Either be emotional, poignant, daring, or shocking. Otherwise, how will you remember this short journey? These lacked that punch. They lacked staying power.
-No world building. I understand we’re dealing with short stories here and there r
Sacha
Aug 30, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

I usually love short story collections. This one, however, I have very mixed feelings about. There didn't seem to be a clear theme or at least something to connect the stories together, leaving me wondering what the overall theme was. It was supposed to be "Seasons of Life" but for some reason, this collection didn't leave me with the feeling of exploring what a good life was.
I also felt that some of these lacked a real so
Denice Langley
Sep 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm often asked for recommendations on what to read. When your reading time is limited, you want a book or author that will transport you from your everyday blahs or educate you. My answer is usually an anthology in the theme of their favorite genre. An anthology serves as a sampler of works, usually with a central theme, that often introduce us to a new-to-us author. The theme for this anthology is "a quality life", a theme we hear often in the news or social media. These authors all approach t ...more
Kim
May 18, 2021 rated it liked it
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I always have some difficulty rating a collection of short stories, especially one as diverse as this one. There is a common theme to the stories, the way our identities evolve throughout the seasons of our lives. Every story here is a 'coming of age' story at heart.
But genre and writing style vary a lot, and that automatically means you like some more than others.

There were a few stories I thought were just OK, and a few tha
Sally
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

How inspiring, to add the author
Anne
May 22, 2022 rated it liked it
This was disappointing read for me, especially after having read Where The Stars Rise (the 3rd in the Laksa Anthology). Most of the stories are well written but they were not engaging. Several of the stories I sped read.

The stories that stood out for me were:

Dress of Ash by Y. M. Pang, - this has the beginnings of a fantastic novel, I wanted more of this story after it was over.
Hope to See the Ghost Tonight by Patrick Swenson - the main character is truly struggling with self
Second Thought
Janall
Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This collection of short stories have a common theme- the seasons of life; birth, youth birth growing old and death. And the meaning and wisdom we can gleam from each season or even as each days starts anew, and we are given a chance to try again.

They are a nice mix of fantasy and science fiction, stories and poems, some left me satisfied, and others I really wanted to continue to find out wh
Denise
Jul 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to netgalley.com for this ARC.

I rarely read short story collections or fantasy or sci fi stories but the premise behind this one sounded interesting. And it did not disappoint. Most stories were interesting and thought provoking. A few were a bit to sci-fi for me but many were realistic and almost plausible especially after living through a pandemic.

I especially liked each other's notes to their younger selves at the end of each story.
Karen A. Wyle
I'm rounding up a bit from what would be my average of ratings for all these stories. There were several I liked very much, quite a few that contained characters or situations of interest, and a handful that left little impression at best.

The notes each author wrote to a younger self ranged from predictable to poignant.
Lael Braday
The stories are mostly told, not shown, which makes them hard to capture and hold, which is a shame, because the tales are diverse and about serious subjects. There's even an appendix with resources for mental health and other needs addressed by the stories. I received this anthology through NetGalley. ...more
Kris Richards
These stories helped me disconnect from the working day during my breaks. I found them to be a little uneven in quality, but the range of voices and styles was refreshing.
Uplifting in places, haunting in others - the younger self advice at the end was charming and quirky

3 stars
Piper
Aug 14, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is a great collection of stories. This has 23 different short stories. All each have thier own charm. This has a mix of everything so has something for everyone.
Luciana Rosa (Bookmark Curiosities)

I liked how in a couple paragraphs the authors transported me to the world they created, being it in with a Japanese family and a cyborg, a Tar farm hunt
Alexandra
Feb 13, 2022
Barry Hill
May 10, 2022
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

• Pando: A Living Wonder of Trees
  • The  Speckled Feather
  • Big and Little
  • Don't Grow Too Fast, Please
  • Busy Spring: Nature Wakes Up
  • Baby Loves Angular Momentum on Hanukkah!
  • Baby Loves Electrical Engineering on Christmas!
  • The Froggies Do Not Want to Sleep
  • So You Want To Build a Library
  • A Cat With No Name: A Story About Sadness
  • My Sister, Daisy
  • Mindful Mr. Sloth
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window (The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window, #1)
  • Cunning Women
  • Cloud Hopper
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • The Wanderer
Susan Forest grew up in a family of mountaineers and skiers, and she loves adventure. She also loves the big ideas found in SF/F, and finds fast-paced adventure stories a great place to explore how individuals grapple with complex moral decisions. Aurora Award winners, Bursts of Fire and Flights of Marigold, first books in her Addicted to Heaven series, confront issues of addiction in an epic fant ...more