Start by marking “Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia 2007” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia 2007

Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia 2007

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Who but Rick Steves can tell travelers the best ways to meander around the region's beautiful beaches, excellent restaurants, and fascinating history. With Rick Steves’ Croatia and Slovenia 2007, travelers can experience everything Croatia and Slovenia, has to offer – economically and hassle-free.

• Details Hvar Island, Dubrovnik, Split, The Julian Alps, The Karst, and othe
Published March 16th 2007 by Rick Steves

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia 2007, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia 2007

Kate
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I have used several Rick Steves guidebooks in my travels. Rick Steves's strength is always in opinionated suggestions about where to go, what is worth your time, what place will be full of tourists, and how to have fun in places that at first don't seem inviting. I welcome his approach via a via more even handed guide books like Rough Guide or Lonely Planet, which will exhaustively cover everything, but not necessarily help me decide the best places for me to spend my limited time. These guide b ...more
Taylor
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was my first Rick Steves travel book and I see why he's so popular--this was incredibly helpful!
Deanna Detchemendy
Rick Steves is our go-to for Europe travel, and this was another positive experience. Advice and details were spot-on. The only squabble I had was with the soba "engagement" process. AirBnB and Bookings have clearly come to dominate that space since this book was published. I couldn't get a response from most owners using the emails in the book, but was able to get them through those sites. Also, we happened upon Kravice Falls in Bosnia and it was a delight -- mostly locals and exactly the kind ...more
Jim Robles
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine travel book by Rick Steves.

We spent time in Split ( and Dubrovnik (Sun Gardens).

Rick Steves was a reliable guide throughout.
Gira
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always on point
Sidney
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
The summaries of the history of Croatia, especially its civil war, provided me with important background info before traveling there. The country's history is confusing, and our travel companions and I found that this guide made the history a little more understandable.
Julia Quagliarello
This book is extremely helpful for planning a trip to Croatia and Slovenia. I don't bother reading the food and hotel recommendations, so I can't comment on them, but as far as where to go and what to see, this book is excellent! Keep in mind, if you're planning on visiting Zadar, there is not much (if any) info on that area.
Jack Hrkach
Having checked "read" I must confess that I focused on the portion of the book titled Slovenia, as I have not yet visited Croatia - but I'll get to that part when I do visit, as I'm fairly sure I will.

As usual Steves is very selective in what specific places he writes about but that force allows him to be quite specific and that's why I continue to use his guides, along with Rough Guides, to help me navigate, not just geographically but historically, philosophically - thanks again, Rick!

I should
Annette Cook
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lets be honest here. Did I read this book from cover to cover? No, it's a travel guide, not a novel. I've gone through the pertinent sections over and over, and will probably continue to do so over the next months and will then pack it for our trip. We used a Rick Steve's for a trip to England a few years ago, and found it most helpful.
Now, as we plan for our upcoming trip to Croatia, I'm using this book for itinerary ideas, tips about customs, currency and other practicalities, lodging and res
Kay
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was very useful in the preliminary stages of planning a two-week trip to Croatia this upcoming May. It not only helped me figure out where I wanted to go, but provided great transportation tips. I've used several Rick Steves guides, and while I don't like to depend on him completely, he undeniably knows his stuff when it comes to Europe.
Nancy
I did not read this book cover to cover, just looked through and read mostly about the places we will visit in Croatia and Slovenia. It was very interesting and makes me more excited for the trip. The section, near the end of the book, "Understanding Yugoslavia" was especially interesting to me. I will likely look at this book again closer to the trip.
Stephanie Mason
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I checked this out from the library, not because I'm planning a trip, but doing some research on Yugoslav history. I really appreciated the chapter on understanding the current/recent past of Yugoslavia. Steves does a good job of summing up a huge story into lay terms that us westerners can understand.
Mia
My first Rick Steves guide (as last year was the first time I'd ever even heard of him). I won't be traveling without my Lonely Planets--and most likely never will--but I did learn a lot and found it well-written and helpful in a number of ways. I plan to supplement my LPs while traveling with my kindle version of this. Couldn't hurt.
Denise
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i bought several books for our recent trip, but none were so helpful as rick steves. all of his recommendations- the restaurants, places to visit, places to stay were right on the money. i even met the co-author on our trip and i now have a signed copy. indeed, i was starstruck.
Jennifer Chin
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I actually learned a lot of history from this book, even though Rick Steve's cutesy writing style sometimes really annoys me. Plus, it's a surefire way to identify American tourists in cities like Split and Dubrovnik.
Nancy
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Indispensible as supporting info while touring the Balkans with Overseas Adventure Travel. What fun to be able to preview the upcoming sights and have a bit of background, even though we were going to be guided through a particular city or point of interest.
Jon
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Slovenia part of this book is great. The Croatia part is lacking information.
Patricia Murphy
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Super helpful for our upcoming trip.
Jordan Stephens
I've read this book cover to cover a couple of times now. Now time to go travel in order to properly rate this book!
Robin Huff
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won't go to Europe without Rick.
Kelsy Holmes
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful. Used this for a two week holiday through Slovenia and Croatia with stops in Bosnia and Montenegro (all covered in the book). I didn't need any other resources.
Ginawuttke
Apr 18, 2009 is currently reading it
I am reading this to prepare for my trip to Croatia and Slovenia this summer.
Anne
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves publishes the best travel guides to Europe. I cannot travel without him. I am sure this book will prove to be as excellent a guide as his others.
Nicole
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very informative. much better than fodor's. i highly recommend!
Pamela
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good guide to Croatia and Slovenia. Honest, well-written and informative. Would have liked better restaurant recommendations, but otherwise, perfection.
Tanya
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, i-own-it
Love Steves' travel books! This one guided me through my latest vacation and helped me better appreciate the sites I was visiting. I especially appreciated the "understanding Yugoslavia" chapter.
Tasha
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for this trip! We've followed a lot of Rick's recs, and I learned a lot about the history of the region from reading. Come on, June 30th!
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I used this book only for Slovenia. Although the section was short, it provided everything we needed.
Allyson
I found this one a little scant. Croatia and Slovenia are not as popular as other destinations but I still needed more info. Info for families and more outings would have been helpful.
Jenn
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I only read the Croatia parts but seems decently helpful and informative.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.