Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Book of Questions” as Want to Read:
The Book of Questions
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Book of Questions

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,212 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Ask Yourself.
Ask your friends. Ask your parents. Ask someone you hardly know. THE BOOK OF QUESTIONS gives you permission to ask those things that are too bold, too embarrassing, or just too difficult to ask by yourself. You will find questions of integrity; of sex; of what you would do for money; even things too personal to talk about out loud.

Whether you use it as a tool
...more
Paperback, U.S. Edition, 205 pages
Published January 3rd 1987 by Workman Publishing (first published 1985)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Questions

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.99  · 
Rating details
 ·  1,212 ratings  ·  131 reviews


More filters
 | 
Sort order
Soheil
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
"سؤال هاى خوب، معمولاً آن هايى نيستند كه به پاسخ مى رسند، بلكه آن هايى هستند كه به سؤالات بيشترى منتهى مى شوند."

كتابى با ايده ى جالب و مناسب براى پُر كردن چَلِنج كتابخوانىِ گودريدز!
اين كتاب از ٣٩٣ سؤال تشكيل شده؛ سؤالاتى كه مى توانند ارزش ها و دستگاه اخلاقى شما رو عميقاً به چالش بكشن، اولويت هاى زندگى تون رو شفاف تر كنن و شايد تغيير بدن و شمارو مجبور كنن به بخش هايى از درونتون خيره بشين كه شايد تابحال نديده بودين يا نمى خواستين ببينين. به نظرم ارزشمنده كه هركسى حداقل زمانى از خلوت و تنهايى ش رو
...more
Shannon
First off, this book is great fun but only if the people you do this with are willing to think and be open. I tried this with my older brother and his wife several years back but they were too close minded and guarded to be honest. Stock's book challenges the mind and makes any literate person take a look at their own life, as well as the lives around them.

Even better, if you want to get to know someone really well . .. I'm talking about their values, morals and beliefs; not their favorite rock
...more
Amirm
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
تلاش نویسنده طرح سوالاتی بود که پاسخ هاشون ابعاد مختلف ذهن رو مخصوصا نظام ارزش گذاری اخلاقی ، به چالش بکشه و خب موفق هم بود
حتی موفق تر از موفق
جواب ها سوالات بزرگتری در خودشون داشتن مثلا سوال ۱۹۹ و ۲۰۰ که در آخر به این سوال منو رسوند که ما اصلا برای چی حرف می زنیم؟
میشد این کتاب رو سطحی تر اما سریعتر یا کند تر اما عمیق تر بخونم.
به احتمال زیاد بازم بخونمش.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
"Would it disturb you much if, upon your death, your body were simply thrown into the woods and left to rot? Why?"

"Would you like your spouse to be both smarter and more attractive than you?"

"You know you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be frozen within the week if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?"

"If you could increase your I.Q. by forty points by having an ugly scar s
...more
Nazanin
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
کتاب جالبیه
با طرح پرسشهای این کتاب از خود و دوستانتان ، میتونید تا حدی به یکسری از ظرایف وجودیتون پی ببرید
شاید بعضی از سوالات سطحی به نظر بیان اما واقعا با تعمق درمورد هر سوال به نکات جالبی میتونیم پی ببریم.
Marc
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Kept this on the dinner table to throw out and discuss with the fam a few times, but the questions are kind of lame and we soon lost interest. Let it sit for a month or so and thought maybe I'd post a few questions from it here in this review and let folks answer in the comments... Then I skimmed and read some more and thought better of it.

But then you've read this far so I can't exactly deprive you, right? I just opened this book (for the last time) to pgs 162 an 163:

Q#163: Would you get a tatt
...more
Pouya Hosseinzadeh
این کتاب در واقع ۲۱۵ تا سوال دارد و البته جواب سوال ها را شما باید بدهید و هیچ گونه تحلیلی هم ندارد. البته به نظرم نداشتن تحلیل از ارزش کتاب کم نمیکند. این سوال ها در مورد موقعیت های فرضی و سختی هستند که شما باید خود را در آن موقعیت قرار داده و تصمیم های سختی بگیرید. این سوال ها باعث میشود شما خود را بهتر بشناسید و حقایق تاریک شخصیتتان آشکار شود. میتوانید این سوال ها را از همسر، نامزد، دوست دختر/پسر یا دوستتان بپرسید که قطعا باعث میشود همدیگر را بهتر بشناسید. شاید لازم باشد قبل از ازدواج یک بار ...more
Aaron
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you found a book of more than 217 hypothetical questions and their follow-ups and could use it as an excuse to achieve a deeper understanding of yourself or someone else, would you?

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?

Given two equally terrifying alternatives as presented in several of these questions, which one would you choose and how would you live with the consequences? Don't you find your answer as interesting as I do?

Why only include roughly 217 questions
...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I see a lot really high ratings for this book here. I suppose I can see why some would like it. It puts me in mind of a lot of discourses and discussions from high school psych and philosophy. At first I thought my take on this book (that it's largely silly and pointless [and I'm not the only reviewer to use the word pointless]) might be a function of age and years lived. Then I saw a review by a younger reviewer who pretty much agreed with me.

This is supposed to be a book of questions that will
...more
John Wiswell
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of the few books you're guaranteed to think about for longer than you read it. Of course, Stock cheats to achieve this: the book is only questions, and often only one question per page. Instead of trivia, The Book of Questions is preoccupied with moral problems, asking what you'd do if you found your best friend was a heroin dealer, or when you were happiest, or would you walk four city blocks naked in return for a massive donation to a charity of your choice? They're questions that probe yo ...more
Emad Attili
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
description

Ummm .....
Some of the questions were really good, but most of them were ridiculous!
I didn't get what I expected!
...more
Shar
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
My husband and I use this book, and others like it, often with close family and friends. It's a great conversation starter and gets everyone thinking about how they feel about life, values, problems, etc... It's become one of our favorite activities after a good game of Settlers of Catan.(Be aware that some questions may be inappropriate for your audience so just skip over those.)
Abhimanyu
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Never judge a book by its cover." This book reinforces this age-old adage. Even though it looks tiny, this book is literally just questions which you can pose to your prospective dates, friends or the best, yourself. It will tap on your deepest desires and you will be faced with dilemmas but all of them will eventually stir up the darkest shade of your psyche. Just give it a shot, you will not be disappointed.

Warning: Don't read this book with your better half :P
Am Y
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
A collection of questions, from silly to serious, to ask yourself or others.

Didn't find the questions as mind-blowing as the hype makes it out to be. Many are stupefyingly inane, or have answers that were very straightforward and easily justifiable to me. Also, the way you might answer a question could change from day to day, depending on your mood and the current situation, etc.

The only useful application this book has for me, is as something to (lightheartedly) gauge a person's character, mora
...more
Sarah Holm
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books I own. It’s great to sit with a group of friends and go through the questions. The prompts spark deep discussions, self discovery, and getting to know those around you. It opens the door to topics that might be hard to bring up, or things you wouldn’t even think to ask. I can’t say enough how much I love this book, and all the meaningful discussions it has created.
Sari
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book. If you can get people to admit honest answers you may find yourselves surprised to learn knew things about the people you know.
Be warned though, this book may lead to unpleasant situations. I had a guy break up with me because of one of my answers. Looking back, I am glad we read the book together because his answer would have made me think twice about the relationship.
Aleksiel
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
While some of the questions were interesting, I didn't feel challenged or having to really think about most of them. It's a fairly entertaining book to read while waiting for the bus, but I expected much more.
Aliyari Maryam
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
سوالهایی که شخصیت شما رو براتون شفاف تر میکنه و موقعیت هایی رو ترسیم میکنه که شاید تصمیم گیری مشکل تر از سایر موقعیت ها باشه و به نظر یکی از کتابهای شيرينيست که بايد بخونیم 🙋
Don Gubler
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: improvement
Often it is good to ask ourselves interesting questions and figure out what our answers will be.
G.H. Monroe
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a great book. The questions posed seed fertile ground which leads to tremendous gardens of thoughts.
Marissa Lock
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic for deployments or any time you are away from your loved one! Great conversation starters!
Lennie
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book of "what if" questions is great to take with you on a road trip because it helps to pass the time quickly!
dw
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you do not own this, go get it. I've answered every question hundreds of times and it's still just as amazing the second, third and 50th times. Great for couples!
ash
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Amazing book to read with friends. I read it two years ago and I just read it again. It was insightful to see how my answers changed.
B. Lynn
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking. These questions have opened up discussions for teens and adults.
Sarah
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
So, I love doing those Q and A's online with the tags. I haven't done any with people on my blog and I more like to answer them for myself. So when I found out there was a book of questions, I got it more for a self-analysis. I answered the questions and put them in my journal. I am hoping that later in the year I can come back and answer them again and see what has changed.

On a formal letter, I don't know why this really is a book for other than why I'm using it. Do people not know what to ask
...more
Daniel Stern

Some of the questions are interesting and thought provoking, but there a quite a few (just from the pages I've read) that are just disturbing to sit with. One in particular asks how you'd feel murdering or torturing a child for the survival of humanity, and even expands it to ask how you'd feel if that child was yours. Some people out there might find these questions mind and consciousness expanding, but for us, it totally missed the mark. If you get this book, expect questions like that. And if
...more
Jana Khalafallah
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book allows you to explore yourself. What would you do? What wouldn't you do? Some questions you find easy while others make you ponder for a while. One great thing I liked about this book is that for one second you would answer a question one way and a while later you completely change it, which allows you to discover the deepest parts of yourself. My favorite question had to be #9. If you were given 1,000,000 dollars and told to leave the country and never set foot in it again, would you? ...more
Claire
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This little book is interesting as well as intriguing. The questions deal with personal beliefs, attitudes and morals. They cover love, technology, time travel, health issues, money and sex. Each and every one of them challenges the way we think and the way we view life in general. There are no right or wrong answers, but this book will definitely spark great conversation in a group setting.
Nathan Leslie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have used this book in my composition classes. The questions included are thought-provoking and inspire outstanding conversation, but outside of the classroom they are also interesting ethical experiments to apply to your mind and heart. The questions tend to go big when at times I wish they would focus on the smaller day-to-day questions, but overall this is a must-own.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »

Readers also enjoyed

  • If... Questions for the Game of Life (If..., #1)
  • The Complete Book of Questions: 1001 Conversation Starters for Any Occasion
  • 4,000 Questions for Getting to Know Anyone and Everyone
  • The Cube
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • Life 101 : Everything We Wish We Had Learned About Life in School -- But Didn't (The Life 101 Series)
  • They Went That-A-Way:  How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • 100 Things You're Not Supposed to Know: Secrets, Conspiracies, Cover Ups, and Absurdities
  • Writers Inc: A Student Handbook for Writing and Learning
  • Battle
  • The Human Body
  • New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists #3
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The Calorie King Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2007
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
See similar books…