Start by marking “The Book of Questions” as Want to Read:
The Book of Questions

The Book of Questions

Ask Yourself.
Ask your friends. Ask your parents. Ask someone you hardly know. THE BOOK OF QUESTIONS gives you permission to ask those things that are too bold, too embarrassing, or just too difficult to ask by yourself. You will find questions of integrity; of sex; of what you would do for money; even things too personal to talk about out loud.

Whether you use it as a tool
Paperback, U.S. Edition, 205 pages
Published January 3rd 1987 by Workman Publishing (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Questions

Start your review of The Book of Questions
Shannon
First off, this book is great fun but only if the people you do this with are willing to think and be open. I tried this with my older brother and his wife several years back but they were too close minded and guarded to be honest. Stock's book challenges the mind and makes any literate person take a look at their own life, as well as the lives around them.

Even better, if you want to get to know someone really well . .. I'm talking about their values, morals and beliefs; not their favorite rock
Sara Dahabović
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: omiljene-knjige
A collection of some really reallyyyyy good questions, I suggest reading this with a group of friends or family because I don't think it was meant to be read alone. It's a great way to open some weird conversations, it's y favorite book of 2018 so far. I really enjoyed it. ...more
Matthew
Some good, some bad

Feels like some repeat too much, or too similar to each other, but still enjoyable to go through with friends or one's self.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
"Would it disturb you much if, upon your death, your body were simply thrown into the woods and left to rot? Why?"

"Would you like your spouse to be both smarter and more attractive than you?"

"You know you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be frozen within the week if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?"

"If you could increase your I.Q. by forty points by having an ugly scar s
Marc
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Kept this on the dinner table to throw out and discuss with the fam a few times, but the questions are kind of lame and we soon lost interest. Let it sit for a month or so and thought maybe I'd post a few questions from it here in this review and let folks answer in the comments... Then I skimmed and read some more and thought better of it.

But then you've read this far so I can't exactly deprive you, right? I just opened this book (for the last time) to pgs 162 an 163:

Q#163: Would you get a tatt
Aaron
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you found a book of more than 217 hypothetical questions and their follow-ups and could use it as an excuse to achieve a deeper understanding of yourself or someone else, would you?

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?

Given two equally terrifying alternatives as presented in several of these questions, which one would you choose and how would you live with the consequences? Don't you find your answer as interesting as I do?

Why only include roughly 217 questions
Mike (the Paladin)
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I see a lot really high ratings for this book here. I suppose I can see why some would like it. It puts me in mind of a lot of discourses and discussions from high school psych and philosophy. At first I thought my take on this book (that it's largely silly and pointless [and I'm not the only reviewer to use the word pointless]) might be a function of age and years lived. Then I saw a review by a younger reviewer who pretty much agreed with me.

This is supposed to be a book of questions that will
John Wiswell
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of the few books you're guaranteed to think about for longer than you read it. Of course, Stock cheats to achieve this: the book is only questions, and often only one question per page. Instead of trivia, The Book of Questions is preoccupied with moral problems, asking what you'd do if you found your best friend was a heroin dealer, or when you were happiest, or would you walk four city blocks naked in return for a massive donation to a charity of your choice? They're questions that probe yo ...more
عماد العتيلي
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
description

Ummm .....
Some of the questions were really good, but most of them were ridiculous!
I didn't get what I expected!
Husam Alshloul
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book, and I had so much fun reading it.
With a lot of questions making you stop for a moment and say WHAT!!
While reading this book, its not really about finding answers to the questions in it, but rather just initiating the thought process that opens after asking yourself the question.
A lot of these questions make you understand yourself, what's important to you, your values, what drives you to do what you do, and many more things you will be able to realize about yourself after re
Am Y
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
A collection of questions, from silly to serious, to ask yourself or others.

Didn't find the questions as mind-blowing as the hype makes it out to be. Many are stupefyingly inane, or have answers that were very straightforward and easily justifiable to me. Also, the way you might answer a question could change from day to day, depending on your mood and the current situation, etc.

The only useful application this book has for me, is as something to (lightheartedly) gauge a person's character, mora
Amanda
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book of questions. Lots of thought provoking questions to enhance discussion, get to know other people and yourself better with and make for great conversation. Some of the questions are personal questions and some are very hard ethical and moral questions that aren't so easy to answer and make you stop and think first. Would highly recommend to anyone like me who enjoys asking questions and having lively conversations. ...more
Shar
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
My husband and I use this book, and others like it, often with close family and friends. It's a great conversation starter and gets everyone thinking about how they feel about life, values, problems, etc... It's become one of our favorite activities after a good game of Settlers of Catan.(Be aware that some questions may be inappropriate for your audience so just skip over those.) ...more
Erika
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cannot say enough about this book - love it! Bring it on road trips, camping, or just hanging out with friends. It's the perfect conversation starter and the questions are things you truly wouldn't come up with yourself. ...more
William Schram
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
The Book of Questions does what it says on the cover. The author, Dr. Gregory Stock, asks a number of questions that don’t have universal answers. It is meant to aid you in soul searching or self-examination. A great number of the questions are akin to Ring of Gyges situations, where someone is given a dilemma or problem and has to suss it out.

Some of the problems aren’t all that bad, but they reveal a lot about you I would think. Take Question 001 for example. It goes like this:
“Technology has
Abhimanyu
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Never judge a book by its cover." This book reinforces this age-old adage. Even though it looks tiny, this book is literally just questions which you can pose to your prospective dates, friends or the best, yourself. It will tap on your deepest desires and you will be faced with dilemmas but all of them will eventually stir up the darkest shade of your psyche. Just give it a shot, you will not be disappointed.

Warning: Don't read this book with your better half :P
Travel Writing
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-sauce
I carry the little book with me when my co-workers and I go out for dinners. We are all ex-pats from all over the world: Christians, Buddhist, Muslims, vegetarians, people who hunt, conservatives, socialists, and all the range in between. Often our dinner conversations stay muddled around work, because our jobs are constantly in flux, so there is a lot there to bang our drums of discontent against, but I get bored of talking about work.

So, I just open the book and ask any random question. Then w
Sari
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book. If you can get people to admit honest answers you may find yourselves surprised to learn knew things about the people you know.
Be warned though, this book may lead to unpleasant situations. I had a guy break up with me because of one of my answers. Looking back, I am glad we read the book together because his answer would have made me think twice about the relationship.
Sarah Holm
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books I own. It’s great to sit with a group of friends and go through the questions. The prompts spark deep discussions, self discovery, and getting to know those around you. It opens the door to topics that might be hard to bring up, or things you wouldn’t even think to ask. I can’t say enough how much I love this book, and all the meaningful discussions it has created.
Aleksiel
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
While some of the questions were interesting, I didn't feel challenged or having to really think about most of them. It's a fairly entertaining book to read while waiting for the bus, but I expected much more. ...more
Regina
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The questions are timely and meaningful. I checked out this book for a party with close friends and it prompted serious discussion (both lighthearted and thoughtful.) I will be buying this book for personal use to assist with journal and memoir writing.
G.H. Monroe
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a great book. The questions posed seed fertile ground which leads to tremendous gardens of thoughts.
Lennie
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book of "what if" questions is great to take with you on a road trip because it helps to pass the time quickly! ...more
Marissa Lock
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic for deployments or any time you are away from your loved one! Great conversation starters!
ash
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Amazing book to read with friends. I read it two years ago and I just read it again. It was insightful to see how my answers changed.
B. Goodwin
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking. These questions have opened up discussions for teens and adults.
dw
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you do not own this, go get it. I've answered every question hundreds of times and it's still just as amazing the second, third and 50th times. Great for couples! ...more
Don Gubler
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: improvement
Often it is good to ask ourselves interesting questions and figure out what our answers will be.
Puty
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, intriguing and fun.

Emily Larson
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is fun but some of the questions appear to come from an extremely narrow minded viewpoint.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• If... Questions for the Game of Life (If..., #1)
  • Fearless Salary Negotiation: A step-by-step guide to getting paid what you're worth
  • path to liberty
  • Tutti i romanzi e i racconti
  • He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead
  • Alcohol Explained 2: Tools for a Stronger Sobriety
  • Alcohol Lied to Me: The Intelligent Way to Escape Alcohol Addiction
  • The Little Book of Mindful Travel: Broaden Your Horizons
  • Agile IT Organization Design: For Digital Transformation and Continuous Delivery

News & Interviews

“How would you react if you learned that a sad and beautiful poem that touched you deeply had been written by a computer?” 1 likes
“For an All-Expenses-Paid, one-week vacation anywhere in the world, would you be willing to kill a beautiful butterfly by pulling off it's wings?

What about stepping on a cockroach?”
0 likes