Start by marking “Murder in the Raw (Rex Graves Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Raw (Rex Graves Mystery, #2)

Murder in the Raw

(Rex Graves Mystery #2)

When beautiful French actress Sabine Durand mysteriously disappears, Rex Graves flies to the Caribbean paradise of St. Martin to investigate. But no one told the Scottish barrister that the island's white sand beaches would be filled with people walking around starkers. Apparently, Sabine was staying at an exclusive nudist resort. Not even a few pints of Guinness can prepare Rex fo ...more
Published May 8th 2009 by Midnight Ink (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Raw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Raw

Ira Therebel
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, crime
I liked the first book in the series but this one was even much better. Rex Graves is a very lovable character and it is great to follow his investigation. In contrast to the first book I had no idea what the outcome will be until the very end. All the characters who are suspects are pretty interesting. And I liked the setting, a nudist hotel on an island. The island itself gives a great vacation atmosphere and the nudist hotel adds humor to it. This book was an excellent read and outstanding in ...more
Chi Dubinski
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rex Graves, Scottish barrister, comes to St. Martin at the request of an acquaintance he met on holiday. Sabine Durand, an actress, has disappeared, and her much older husband and her friends are concerned. The local police think she had a mishap while swimming and was eaten by sharks.
When Graves appears on the island, he realizes he need not have worried about his lost luggage. It’s a nude resort, and as he questions the guests, he realizes that the men at the resort miss Sabine more than
M
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Rex Graves is a likeable Scottish barrister and an enjoyable character. I liked following him around St Martin watching him dig in to solve the mystery. But the only real mystery here is what is the mystery? The answer behind the reason Rex comes onto the scene is literally handed to him, and the only other mystery is a sideline affair that gets solved through deus ex machina. The “naturalist” resort aspect is totally neglected beyond a few remarks at the beginning. It was a perfect setting for ...more
Ted Bun
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A pot-boiler of a country house murder with a couple of twists ...
Actress disappears, no body found, police not interested. The rich guests, some of them very rich want resolution so they send for Scottish Legal Eagle Rex Graves to find the killer.
Then the twists
The first of which is the location a naturist resort on the island of St Martin.
Number 2 Rex does not .... that would spoil the tale.
Marks lost because Ms Challinor failed to research the setting for her sto
Megan Honaker
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book to satisfy a Summer Reading Challenge theme and I had to read a book featuring nudity or nudists. This definitely isn't a New York Times best-selling author but I appreciated the story. Unfortunately, the characters lacked depth and I was just waiting for it to be over. The murder wasn't even fascinating and didn't leave me with any kind of hook.

Definitely wouldn't recommend unless you're into cheesy mysteries, Scottish detectives, or nude resorts.
Mary Baker
I thought the plot details in this novel moved slowly. I also thought the characters could have been better developed more; it might be that there were too many involved, in addition to an extra plot line. Then we have Rex's love life interrupting the action. I just wasn't as involved in this mystery as I could have been if there had been more tension, and interaction between the characters.
Laura Brown
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! The mystery all takes place on St Martin in a naturalist (nudist) resort. Our hero is a Scotsman private eye, there to find out the truth. The story reminded me of an episode of "Murder in Paradise" from the BBC. I'm looking forward to reading more Rex.Graves mysteries!
Jane
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
He first book in this series was a diverting "cozy". This book is not even that. I don't plan to read anything else by this author.
Spuddie
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
#2 Rex Graves mystery. Rex, a Scottish lawyer, is off to the Caribbean at the behest of the Winslows, owners of the inn where he stayed the Christmas before and solved a murder. It seems one of their guests, a famous French actress, has disappeared into thin air and they'd like Rex to look into things since the gendarmerie on the island don't seem very interested. Rex agrees, and then they mention, "Oh, by the way--this resort is a naturalist resort." (i.e., a nudist colony!)

Rex arrives and bef
Justine Olawsky
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this mystery much better than Challinor's Christmas is Murder; at least the murderer's motive made some sense.

Scottish advocate, Rex Graves, has been summoned to St. Martin by friends to investigate privately the sudden disappearance of one of their fellow holiday-makers, actress Sabine Durand. This free trip to "paradise" comes with a prickle, though: the resort is of the sans vêtements variety. When in crazy Caribbean land, do as the rich, white tourists do, as the saying goes. Off with the kilt, and
Mike
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
After reading the Christmas murder I had to see about another one of these mysteries and I grabbed this one. I can't say I was disappointed; some of the parts were a bit difficult; considering there was quite a bit of French in the book and I'm a stickler for accuracy; it burned me that I could only read some of the French and not all of the French. I'm afraid I'm bilingual not trilingual hehe; anyways it didn't take anything away from the mystery. Or I should say mysteries; you'll find out as y ...more
Brian Williams
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Rex Graves might say: this is a grand story. Graves is a Scottish barrister called to the island of St. Martin in the Caribbean to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a film star from an exclusive (clothing-optional) resort. This premise alone makes the book a worthwhile read. There's plenty of local authentic local colour (at least it accords with my recollection of the island when I was there).

Graves's character is developed sufficiently to make him a likable narrator an
Patty
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked the first Rex Graves book but don't remember it being particularly funny. This one has some moments that had me laughing out loud.

Rex is called to the Caribbean to help find out what happened to a young woman who disappeared without a trace. First big surprise is that the resort where he will be staying is "clothing optional". Now, I have this picture in my mind of this upright, red-headed Scotchman and the look on his face as he receives this news. There are some othe
Ann
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was good but not spectacular. Rex graves is called in by close friends to investigate when Sabine Durand, a French actress, disappears on the Island of St. Martin. He arrives to find that he scene of the crime in a nudist colony and he has to deal with that as well as the case. The police think that she was drunk and went swimming and was attacked by sharks but Rex isn't so sure. This book was well written but very predictable. I knew what had happened before the end of the first chapt ...more
Jan C
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2013
I had a little trouble getting into this one. I think it was the locale. St. Martins sounded fine except the specific locale was a nudist beach. It put our hero off a little at first, too.

Some beautiful starlet, on vacation with her husband, disappears from a beach. I think there is a little blood, an abandoned cell phone. A friend, Brooklyn, asks Rex for assistance.

And, there is a rapist/murderer about who adorns his victims with jewels.
Jen
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I adored the first in this series but this one was okay. The writing was decent and the location intriguing but Rex was a different kind of protagonist. Having sex with his lady friend in the front of a jeep on the way to drop her back off at the cruise terminal did it in for me. Interesting enough but just not your typical cozy.
Susan
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
When Scottish advocate Rex Graves is called to St. Martin to find out what happened to missing actress Sabine Durand, he doesn't know that the resort from which she vanished is "clothing optional." Yet even that doesn't disturb him as much as the growing suspicion that Sabine didn't die in an accident, but was murdered. Yet the story has more twists than Rex could have guessed.
Elaine
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This time Rex is at a nudist colony in St. Martin to uncover the disappearance of popular Sabine. He’s not use to detecting “in the buff.” What really happened that night when most of the resort’s guests were at Paul’s birthday party? Sabine’s ankle bracelet and part of her pareo was found on the beach. Perhaps she was eaten by sharks as the local authorities suggest.
Susan in NC
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Likable hero, lovely tropical setting, somewhat interesting if rather stereotypical rich people/potential suspects - what's not to like? Enjoyable, light beach read; I checked this out from my library which also has the next two Rex Graves mysteries. I'll probably check them out over the summer when I am in the mood for a quick mystery - I wouldn't pay for them, though.
Karen
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had read the first of Challinor's Rex Graves series back in December and quite enjoyed the heck out of it. I'm beyond pleased to say that the second one, Murder in the Raw, is even better! The story is more complex and Rex is quickly joining Hamish MacBeth as a favorite crime-solving Scot. Right now I have the third book lined up as a September read but I may not be able to hold off that long.
Alice
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting murder mystery with a good twist. Not a particularly good depiction of the setting, though. Oh - but the detective's son is named Campbell, so you have to give the author credit for good taste in names! :-)
Starr Gardinier
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was well written, but confusing as the main character, Rex Graves didn't really elaborate on how he came about his information. Some 'clues' I thought were important weren't investigated, but talked about at the end. Not a real fan of this book.
Judy
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Second in the Rex Graves series. Takes place in St. Martin's at a nudist beach. A missing woman and her friends are concerned where she is or is she dead. Helen returns to visit Rex in this book and their relationship is off to a good start. Another quick read.
Kirsten
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scottish attorney Rex Graves is charming and self-effacing. Beautifully described St. Martin. I love that he's a single dad with a son going to school in the US and he struggles with being alone.
Lyn
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I keep reading 'cozy' mysteries, they are short and usually sweet :) This series is dominated by a charming, Scottish barrister--brogue and all. Just good fun with a pint thrown in!!!!
Jim Hager
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely looking for others by this author
Judy
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid little mystery with interesting characters and a fun setting.
Kimber
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This one was funny. A murder at a nudist beach. Nice twist. And he finally hooks up with his lady love from the first book.
Lisa Bork
Sep 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Scottish barrester Rex Graves is asked to investigate the possible murder of a woman who disappeared from a nudist resort in St. Martins. Straightforward plot.
Gretchen
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting series about a Scottish barrister who gets involves in solving murders. This one takes place in St. Martin at a nudist resort. Pretty good book.

• Dial Emmy for Murder (Soap Opera Mystery, #2)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Neon Dragon (Knight and Devlin, #1)
  • Dangerously Dark (A Chocolate Whisperer Mystery, #2)
  • Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company, #2)
  • Killer Crab Cakes (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #4)
  • The Hindenburg Murders (Disaster Series, #2)
  • Poisoned Tarts (Savannah Reid, #13)
  • Girls Rule
  • Deaths on Pleasant Street: The Ghastly Enigma of Colonel Swope and Doctor Hyde
  • Heart of the Lonely Exile (Emerald Ballad #2)
  • Papercutz Slices #1: Harry Potty and the Deathly Boring
  • Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #1)
  • The Extinguished Guest (Lexie Starr Mystery #2)
  • Vive La Paris
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5)
C.S. Challinor was raised and educated in Scotland (St. George's School for Girls, Edinburgh) and England (Lewes Priory, Sussex; University of Kent, Canterbury: Joint Hons Latin & French). She also holds a diploma in Russian from the Pushkin Institute in Moscow. She now lives in Southwest Florida. Challinor is a member of the Authors Guild, New York, and writes the critically acclaimed Rex Gra ...more

Rex Graves Mystery (10 books)
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
  • Phi Beta Murder (Rex Graves Mystery, #3)
  • Murder on the Moor (Rex Graves Mystery, #4)
  • Murder of the Bride (Rex Graves Mystery #5)
  • Murder at the Dolphin Inn (Rex Graves Mystery #6)
  • Murder at Midnight (Rex Graves Mystery, #7)
  • Murder Comes Calling (Rex Graves Mystery, #8)
  • Judgment of Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #9)
  • Upstaged by Murder (Rex Graves Mystery, #10)