Start by marking “Richard Feynman: A Life in Science” as Want to Read:
Richard Feynman: A Life in Science

Richard Feynman: A Life in Science

To students of physics all over the world, Richard Feynman was living proof that to lead a life in science one does not need ice for blood and the mind of a Cray computer. In this unique biography, astrophysicist John Gribbon and his wife, Mary, pay tribute to this enormously human scientist.
Published July 1st 1998 by Plume (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Feynman, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)

Start your review of Richard Feynman: A Life in Science
Michael
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-non, s-t-e-m
As long as there is another Feynman book out there, I'll have something to read. Fascinating life. ...more
Tom
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like books by/about Feynman, and have read many. This biography is very enjoyable, and deserves attention compared to the better-known book by Gleick. I actually liked this more than Gleick. Though shorter, it gives a good account of scientific issues.
Michael
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not often that I read a biography of a scientist in the space of a couple of days. However, Richard Feynman was a fascinating man, and I had a hard time putting the book down.

If you enjoyed Feynman's books, you will enjoy reading this book, which goes into more biographical detail.
Patricia
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard P. Feynman was one of the greatest physicists of all time. This book provides a short overview of his background and his many accomplishments.
The book begins with Feynman's childhood in New York and how his father encouraged his early scientific development. It also describes how one of Feynman's earliest heroes was Paul Dirac, who among other things, received the 1933 Nobel Prize in Physics. Interestingly, Feynman has on occasion been referred to as "another Dirac, but this time human".
Sukhman Singh
Jul 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book presents Feynman as one of the most towering figures of twentieth-century science. The Gribbins give a comprehensive overview of Feynman’s life, from his childhood where his passion for science was cultivated by his father to his adult life that saw him make major breakthroughs in physics. They create an image of Feynman as an inspirational, original, and genius physicist. Supplemented with the fact that he derived pleasure from solving problems his own way, his work on the path integr ...more
David
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Enjoyable read, but at times made difficult by the physics explanations and the somewhat disjointed timelines. Very good at describing somebody for whom very high end physics and indeed all maths was very easy and obvious. One of the most telling quotes in the book is from his daughter "Physics just flowed out of him continuously". A good insight into somebody who could have been given the Nobel Froze far more than once, and who seems to been a very enjoyable companion and character. ...more
Recai Bookreader
This was a biography as it should be: very fluently written, not boring the reader with needless details, giving a fulfilling overview of the work accomplished by Feynman. It is also a good, although very brief, introduction to quantum mechanics. Recommended for those who desire to have an introductory glimpse of it.
Steve Schinke
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I am clearly not a physicist, I read the words written about his discoveries, but they did not paint a picture for me. His approach, however, to problem solving, teaching, and living made this book a worthwhile experience for me.
Glglgl
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ein interessantes und informatives Buch über das Leben des Physikers Richard P. Feynman. Allerdings auch ein Beweis dafür, dass kritiklose Bewunderung keine gute Haltung ist, aus der heraus sich eine ausgewogene Biographie schreiben ließe. Besonders ärgerlich sind zweifelhafte bis abfällige Urteile über Zeitgenossen Feynmans, z.B. seine zweite Ehefrau ("blonde Sexbombe") oder Julian Schwinger ("Angeber"). ...more
Jeff
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I didn't really know a lot about this man until I was loaned this book. Wow. He's amazing person and he advanced Quantum Physics farther than Einstein himself. To get a glimpse into the character and thought process of a true genius is a rare treat, and this book delivers. ...more
Gerhard Jason
Sep 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Too much science. My brain is too small. I had to put it down...
Solor
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Very interesting. Yet the technical part not enjoyable.
Fabrizio Stucchi
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Far too much into Physics and Math for my taste, I enjoyed more other books on Feynman personality and life, this one is too much into his work.
Dan Tagg
Feb 04, 2016
Gary
Jun 10, 2020
Selena
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2020

• No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman
  • Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman
  • Albert Einstein: A Biography
  • Feynman's Lost Lecture: The Motion of Planets Around the Sun
  • "What Do You Care What Other People Think?": Further Adventures of a Curious Character
  • Einstein: The Life of a Genius
  • The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
  • The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Mystic of the Atom
  • Einstein: The Life and Times
  • Feynman
  • The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
  • Gandhi: A Life
  • Subtle Is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein
  • Einstein: His Life and Universe
  • The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman
  • A Brief History of Time
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
John R. Gribbin is a British science writer, an astrophysicist, and a visiting fellow in astronomy at the University of Sussex. The topical range of his prolific writings includes quantum physics, biographies of famous scientists, human evolution, the origins of the universe, climate change and global warming. His also writes science fiction.

John Gribbin graduated with his bachelor's degree in phy

News & Interviews