Start by marking “Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands)” as Want to Read:
Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands)

Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  451 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
When twelve-year-old Saba and her older brother are kidnapped and taken from their rural home to the royal palace at Gondar, Saba finally learns about her long-lost parents--and her own royal past. With Ethiopia's rulers in the midst of a fierce struggle for control of the throne, what can the King of Kings--Emperor Yohannes III--possibly want with her?
Published September 1st 2003 by Pleasant Company Publications

To ask other readers questions about Saba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saba

Renee
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was possibly another one of my favorites in the Girls of Many Lands series! I also found this book a great read; thrilling, and I was unable to put it down. It was an excellent read and a great story!
Amie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5th-grade
These books are so jumpy, and the back doesn't offer a good description. I wanted to love them, but I find myself getting more and more bored. Ugh.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story takes place in 1846 in Ethiopia and is about Saba, a young girl living with her mother and her brother. Their family has been hiding out for a while, now, and Saba has never been told the total truth behind their aversion of other people.

The story unfolds after Saba and her brother are kidnapped, taking to a major city of the area, and where Saba is treated like royalty. She is separated from her brother and is unsure whether he is alive or not.

She learns she's a pawn in the midst of
Liralen
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Well-researched look at one girl's life in 1840s Ethiopia. I know very little about that era, so for a while this read a lot earlier to me—1600s? I have no idea. But I'm willing to trust in the research here.

Nice sense of growth for Saba, who starts as a frightened child and evolves over the course of the book to become first a rather spoiled, ignorant royal and then, gradually, a determined maker-of-her-own-fate. Also a nice sense of her putting her lessons to use.

I did wish we'd seen more than
Ari
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
The descriptions of Ethiopia were evocative, I could see everything the author was describing, feel the heat and imagine what it felt like to hold amber. I read this book in 6th grade I believe and it really opened my eyes to the fact that Africa had had royalty. And for that this book will always have a special place in my heart. From there I sought out more books about African royalty since that was obviously not something I was going to learn in school (maybe a Cleopatra or Hatshepsut mention ...more
Sarah "Mir"
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I always loved these books growing up and I'm happy to be reading/rereading the ones on my shelf. One thing that I love about the Girls of Many Lands series is the fact that the writers put extensive research into the culture they are writing, as well as the time period. I love reading and feeling like I'm then and there. With Saba, this was the case.
Meadow Frisbie
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-girl
When Saba and her older brother are kidnapped and taken from there rural home to the royal palace of Gondar, Saba finally learns about her long-lost parents and her own royal past. With Ethiopia’s rulers in the midst of a fierce struggle for control of the throne, what can the Kings of Kings—Emperor Yohannes III possibly want with her?
Jen
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Saba, like all the Girls of the World books, is very well-researched and surprisingly well-written. The plot of this novel, with its intrigue and rags-to-riches story, is my favorite of the set, but it suffers from a sudden and unfulfilling ending.
Katie
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
THESE COME WITH THE DOLLS SO IT IS PRETTY COOL TO IMAGINE WHAT IT WAS LIKE FOR THEM. FOR SABA ITS REALLY COOL HOW SHE HAS TO TRY AND NOT GET KILLED BECAUSE OF OTHERS WANTING THE POWER SHE COULD HAVE. ITS ALSO VERY ADVENTUROUS LIKE HOW SHE SAVES HER BROTHER.
Stacy
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great fiction book about Ethiopia. My daughter and I loved it.
Katie
Feb 16, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the best of the Girls of Many Lands books
Beth
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 10- and up
Recommended to Beth by: Annalise
Shelves: girlsofmanylands
I really like this book, I wished it had a better ending.
Shonna Froebel
Part of series "Girls of Many Lands".
Readable, but not great.
Robin Filipczak
I enjoyed reading about historical Ethiopia with the girls, however, the plot construction of this American Girls title was disjointed and confusing.
Ellie
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Something I definitely would have enjoyed when I was younger.....like, ten or eleven.
Angie
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
The ending to this American Girls, Girls of Many Lands book was disappointing. It left you hanging, wondering how the adventure would end.
Juny
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is one of the better books of this collection.
Meredith Henning
Mar 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
Samantha Madison
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting, and not as easy to read as most of the other books in this series. I love history, and culture.
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Saba of Ethiopia is kidnapped and taken to the royal palace, where she learns more about her past
Meghan
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-girl
Only reason I didn't get it five stars was that they talked a lot in metaphors.
Rachel
rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2015
Nov 04, 2007
Patrice Caldwell
Dec 25, 2011
Jane Kurtz 1 1 Sep 25, 2014 07:39AM
  • Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Neela: Victory Song (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Mystery at Chilkoot Pass (American Girl History Mysteries, #17)
  • Ghost Light on Graveyard Shoal (American Girl History Mysteries, #21)
  • The Strange Case of Baby H (American Girl History Mysteries, #18)
  • Betrayal at Cross Creek (American Girl History Mysteries, #22)
  • Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic (American Girl History Mysteries, #20)
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • Circle of Fire (American Girl History Mysteries, #14)
Jane Kurtz was born in Portland, Oregon, but when she was two years old, her parents moved to Ethiopia. Jane grew up in Maji, a small town in the southwest corner of the country.
Since there were no televisions, radios, or movies, her memories are of climbing mountains, wading in rivers by the waterfalls, listening to stories, and making up her own stories, which she and her sisters acted out for
More about Jane Kurtz...

Girls of Many Lands (8 books)
  • Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • Neela: Victory Song (Girls of Many Lands)