Jump to ratings and reviews

The Seventh Age #1

Silver Dawn Afire

Myridians are coming, each wielding one of Six Cataclysmic Powers that will lay waste to the world and wake the God of Neutrality. What happens when one refuses to succumb to her myridian nature and sets out to save the world instead?

***
SIDRA ANATOLA will soon die a human death and be reborn as one of the myridian, beings destined to destroy the World of Aetheria. In a desperate attempt to change her dark fate, she flees home and the young man she loves to seek help from a powerful entity who has lived through all the ages. But she may not make it in time before she is killed by hunters—or by the love of her life, also a myridian, who fights every day to hold onto the emotions that made him human.

BRESEIS ERISWEN was expelled from the academy and failed her father who expected her to carry on her late mother’s profession as a myridian hunter. But Breseis never wanted to be a hunter—she refused to kill, and she never believed in myridians, to begin with. She leaves home with big dreams, lacking experience, and a broken heart, to prove that she is more than a failed hunter.

Two contrasting paths converge to become a turbulent one. A mouthy intellect with a colorful personality, and a skilled warrior with a frosty attitude, put their differences aside and travel the rest of the way together, robbing temples, angering false gods, and escaping numerous predicaments with their lives. Amid the chaos, they form a friendship despite a gut feeling that both hide dangerous secrets that can save or destroy the world and each other.

505 pages, Kindle Edition

Published March 16, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

J.A. Redmerski

28 books13.2k followers
J.A. (Jessica) Redmerski is a New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, and #1 Amazon best-selling author. She is also an international bestseller and award winner. Jessica is a hybrid author who began self-publishing in 2012 and later signed several titles with a traditional publisher. Her works have been translated into over twenty languages and have been optioned for film and television.

In addition to writing books, she works with various programs to create her own cover art, interior art, design, formatting, and fantasy maps. Jessica loves The Golden Girls, Xena: Warrior Princess, nature, the universe, anime, manga, bookstores, and fantasizing about the apocalypse. She is from the United States but currently lives in Mexico with her husband.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews
Profile Image for Siobhan.
4,407 reviews463 followers
March 12, 2021
Silver Dawn Afire is the first book in Sonja J. Breckon’s Seventh Age series, and it’s a fabulous start to the series. It hooked me from the first page, and I could not put it down until I saw how everything came together. With plenty packed into the story, this one has me eager to see what happens in the rest of the series.

It has some of the classic elements of any great fantasy novel, along with plenty of unique details to ensure the reader is hooked throughout. Each detail sucks the reader in deeper, making the world larger, and ensures they cannot get enough of the way things unfold. With wonderful characters and plotlines that leave you eager for more, it’s a story that takes the reader on a journey filled with twists and turns.

Without a doubt, I cannot wait to see what comes next for the Seventh Age saga. I had high hopes for this series and am eager to see how things play out.
Profile Image for Lola.
1,469 reviews242 followers
September 17, 2021
I picked up Silver Dawn Afire when I was in the mood for a fantasy book set in a fantasy world and it was exactly the type of book I was in the mood. And at the same time this book really took me by surprise. This book has a whole new world to discover with plenty of things going on, there are gods, magic and world enders and I really enjoyed discovering the world and reading about the characters. There isn't a dull moment and this book kept me reading, eager to see what would happen next.

Silver Dawn Afire mainly follows the story of two female characters, Sidra and Breseis. Sidra is a human who is destined to die and be reborn as a world ender, a Myridian. Sidra doesn't want to be a Myridian. Then there is Breseis, who is just a normal girl out to follow her dreams. I liked them both and thought they were interesting characters. I liked seeing how these two met and how slowly throughout the book they grow closer. Then there is Soren, the love of Sidra's life, we get some chapters from his point of view as well. I liked the clear bond Sidra and Soren had and at the same time it was clear their paths might not align. They are separated for most of the story, but it's still clear how much they mean to one another.

The plot moves forward with a good pace. There's always something happening and going on. And I really liked following the story along and finding out what happens next. The story kept my attention and also surprised me multiple times with some twists and turns or by going in a direction I hadn't expected. It kept me guessing and even then when I knew this book could surprise me it did so again at the end. The ending feels like an important point in these characters their journey. It wraps up a stage of their journey and it feels like a fitting ending, at the same time it's the type of ending that makes me eager for the next book as I have to know what happens next.

The world building is this book is done very well. It feels fresh an unique, even though it has elements I've seen before in other books, it combines them in a unique way. I really liked leaning about the world, about the gods and deities and how they influence the world. And then there are different races and people who can use magic called crafts who live in this world. And then the world enders and how they're meant to destroy the world an awaken the god of neutrality so a new age may start. I liked how the author sprinkled the world building throughout the book. There is a prologue that kinda sets the stage and gives some background to the world, but after that it's the type of story where you figure out more of the world the further you get in the story. There also is a dictionary of sorts at the end where important terms are explained.

To summarize: I really enjoyed this book. It grabbed my attention from the start and kept it. the story is engaging and I enjoyed seeing where it went. The pace is well done with every chapter feeling like something important happened or furthered the character's journey. I really liked Sidra and Breseis, they are both likable and interesting characters and I really enjoyed seeing them become friends as the book progresses. There are plenty of twists and turns. I was never sure where the plot would go next and even when I thought I did, the book managed to surprise me. The world really comes alive as you read and I liked the world building. There are gods, deities, different races and magic. And the way these elements are combined feels fresh and unique. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to see where the series goes next!
Profile Image for Jessica Belmont.
1,482 reviews44 followers
March 3, 2021
Silver Dawn Afire by Sonja J. Breckon is such a cool concept. Reading the blurb, I knew I really wanted to read this novel. I’m happy to say, it was as cool as I thought it would be.

I really enjoyed the two characters and how their paths start out differently, and converge into one. The two are different, but it is clear they build a solid friendship along the way.

Sonja J. Breckon‘s writing is solid. I loved the world building. I felt like I was placed inside this story, and it was truly an escapist read.

Silver Dawn Afire is a satisfying fantasy novel with intriguing plot points and characters that not only feel real, but entertain as well. Give this one a shot.

*I received a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours to review honestly on the blog tour. All opinions are my own and unbiased.*
Profile Image for Lousbookstuff.
258 reviews41 followers
April 13, 2021
You can find my full review for this as well as other books on my bloghere

First of all as usual I want to give my thanks to the author, publisher and blog tour organiser for arranging this tour, providing an ARC of the book and allowing me to be a part of it all. I absolutely loved this book and it is a pleasure to promote it today.

So where to begin with reviewing this? I knew the moment that I saw the book and read the blurb that this was one that I wanted to read.

I had no expectations or preconceptions with this because there were not many reviews online and no one was really talking about it so this truly was a hidden gem for me.

I was pulled into the story straight away as it starts with a little prologue of sorts that introduces you to the many deities of the world and gives you an idea of the type of book you are going into.

Initially I thought holy crap that’s a lot of deities, I’m never going to remember all of those but although there are a lot and the world is huge you really don’t need to remember all of them but its really good to learn about them in the beginning as it really does help to show the scope of the world that Sonja is building here.

After the prologue the story is told from the POV of three characters but I consider Sidra and Breseis to be the main characters here and the chapters told from Soren’s perspective are much less frequent but no less important.

I absolutely LOVED Sidra and Breseis as characters, I really don’t think I can say a bad thing about them.

Sidra was born a Myridian which means that she was always destined to shed her humanity and become a “world ender”. These world enders are meant to bring in the new age of the world with a great war and basically bring about the end of the world so that things can start over anew.

The book is told in the 6th age of the world but there are flashbacks to previous ages and you will learn that the souls of each age are basically reincarnated in the new one but with no memory of their past lives and it is really interesting to see how similar the paths are in each life for the characters but also how things are now changing and the world is seeing things it has never been before.

Paths are changing, the wheel is breaking and Sidra is the one to break it.

Sidra does not want to end the world and wants to keep her humanity and help to save the world instead. She is really strong, badass with weapons and when she does fully transition into Myridian she gains a really cool power but I won’t spoil it by saying what!

Breseis is hilarious! She meets Sidra in a tavern and sort of thinks she saves her life and they end up travelling together. Her one-liners made me laugh a lot and she just comes across as really lovely and genuine but there is more to her than you initially think and it is so interesting to learn more about her as the book progresses.

Finally Soren, Sidra’s love. He is a very interesting character and his chapters were great even though there were not so many of them. He fights his nature right to the very end and I just loved him.

I think it should be said though that even though Sidra and Soren are love interests that there is basically no romance in this book. I don’t mind but for those of you who like romance in your fantasy books this one definitely does not tick that box.

The magic system here is really interesting, Myridians will usually gain a power or affinity after they transition and it could be anything from mind control to shapeshifting to raising the dead so that is really fun and I’d definitely like to see that explored more in later books!

Overall this book is something a little bit different from your average fantasy book. I’ve never read anything quite like it before and I enjoyed every action packed second of it. It has drama, violence, friendship, love, religion (of a sorts), total lead female badass-ery, magic, twists and turns and of course the looming end of the world.

I really have no idea whether or not Sidra will be able to fight her nature in the next book now that she has fully transitioned. She is destined to fight in the war and bring about the end of the world and it this stage I really couldn’t guess what will happen but I seriously can’t wait to find out. I highly, highly recommend this book!
147 reviews1 follower
March 23, 2021
Silver Dawn Afire is one of those books that you know'll be immeasurable.

It's packed full of action, adventure, romance, self-confidence, an amazing platonic relationship, and more. The plot of the book is very fast-paced and we get thrown into the story right away.

Not something that I mind, seeing that there is nothing to be disappointed about. The tropes are handled nicely, despite most of them being cliche.
And, of course, it's that end of the word shit we wanna see take fold.

A read that was so interesting, I could not put the book down. There was always something happening, and this book doesn't struggle to admit it.

Sidra Anatola, one of our beloved main characters, is a myridian.
One of the people set to destroy the world and wake the God of Neutrality. But Sidra doesn't want to do something like that and she takes on a challenge. Saving the world instead...

Meanwhile, we got Breseis. A see-it-to-believe-it type of girl. She fails her father's wish by not becoming a myridian hunter, not that she ever believed in them anyway.

The two bond together after several events and find comfort in each other's secrets. No matter what happens, you know the two will stick like rock and glue. Inseparable.

We also have a little bit of romance. Which is something common in fantasy, not that I particularly have a bias to. I just do wish, one day, we can have a story involving a confident heroine without a love interest.

Other than that, this book is pretty good. I like most fantasy tropes despite them being a little embarrassing. Plus, this book does have a unique concept and incredible worldbuilding.

Shoutout to the artist who made the cover too, I love it.

All in all, thank you for reading this review and I hope you check this book out! :)
Profile Image for Etta (Chonky Books Review).
832 reviews12 followers
March 30, 2021
The synopsis for this novel pulled me in to want to read this as it just sounded like it would be very entertaining. I am on the fence of how I feel about it as I greatly enjoyed it, but now I am disappointed as I have to wait for the rest to be released and I am impatient. Silver Dawn Afire hooks you fairly early on and keeps you interested from start to finish. It is a very promising start to the Seventh Age series and I cannot wait to read the rest when they are published.

There are two main characters that the story mainly follows. First, there is Sidra Anatola, a Myridian, also known as a world ender. Her destiny is to follow through as a Myridian and end the world of Aetheria and wake the God of Neutrality, but Sidra does not wish to follow this path. She wants another destiny and decides to run away from it all. On the other side, there is Breseis, who comes from a line of Myridian Hunters. As the daughter of a Hunter, Breseis dreams of becoming more than a failed hunter herself.

These two characters start on opposite sides, but their journeys merge together once they meet. Over time, they become closer and begin to bond and share their secrets with the other. Their friendship was written very well as they become a great team. They are opposites-attract where they may have their differences, but they balance each other very well. They each have their positives and negatives that make the reader invested in each of their stories. As they are not perfect, they are relatable and very enjoyable to read about.

The story is fairly fast-paced where the plot gets going early into the writing. The pace does slow a little in the middle, but then it picks back up again. The pacing seems fairly typical for a series as it has to keep going at a decent pace in order to set itself up for the next book while keeping the reader wanting more. The writing itself is descriptive and the world that the author builds makes this novel an excellent escapist novel as the reader can become lost in the world. There are mythical creatures and magic that is integrated well into the story.

Overall, this story was well-done and I cannot wait to read more. There is a romance story with Soren, a Myridian, and Sidra, a Myridian that does not wish to end the world. They have the same background, but each has embraced their destiny differently. The romance portion is integrated well into the journey Sidra takes after she runs away and tries to embrace a new destiny to save the world rather than destroy it. This series has amazing potential as it is longer in length, but it captivated me to read it in a single sitting. The Seventh Age series is off to a great start and I cannot wait to read book two! [4.5 rounded to 5]
Profile Image for Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon.
2,087 reviews149 followers
March 6, 2021
5 Cranky Stars

I found this story to be spellbinding. It is a little different than the average magic and fantasy books.

In a world called Aetheria, strange things are happening. The humans and other occupants of the lands that make up this world, don't fully understand the magic. To them, the folktales are just that, stories. There is a story that a strange human like creature is born when they see a silver beam of light shooting into the sky. These creatures are called "World Enders" by the common folk. In reality, they are myridians. This story is nonstop action and adventure. The main characters, Soren and Sidra are in love but Sidra doesn't want to transition to a myridian because she would have to kill. She refuses her destiny. Soren is already transitioned and anxiously searching for her. Magic maybe all that can save these lovers. Will they find each other in time to change the prophecy that could save the world. There is much to be lost if they can't fulfill their destinies.

I don't want to give spoilers. So all I can say, is read this book. I found myself lost in the character of Sidra. Keep a box of tissues handy too.
Profile Image for gwendalyn _books_.
866 reviews28 followers
June 14, 2021
Silver Dawn Afire by Sonja J. Breckon
@sonjajbreckon
Silver Dawn Afire (The Seventh Age Saga #1)
By Sonja J. Breckon
Genre: Fantasy
Age category: Young Adult
Release Date: March 16, 2021
A stellar first installment the Silver Dawn Afire, is nothing sure of a
fast paced moving fantasy that focuses on friendship along with the threatening end of the world. What happens when an unlikely friendship forms that can help change your future.
A completely unique fantasy that has a great world building, but also contains some classical elements of traditional fantasy books.
This book sets you up for the rest of the series so it’s details of key components are critical to the reader, so don’t skip through them.
The author gives the reader a seamless narration told in three distinct POV’s.
The strongest voices are that of the two main female leads, or MC Sidra and Breseis. With the voice of Soren’s coming in as a quieter third. No less his perspective is critically the overall setup.
The book is rich with the importance of the power of friendship, with the romance taking a back seat, which I highly appreciated.
Thanks to the author and the tour company for my print copy.
Profile Image for CR.
2,720 reviews28 followers
March 23, 2021
I wasn't too sure about this story when I first started it. But, I fell so in love with this world and the characters and story. This brings so many new things to the world of fantasy that once you start you won't able to put it down!!
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.