Start by marking “When the children come” as Want to Read:
When the children come

When the children come

Nathan, emotionally scarred after three tours in Afghanistan, lives alone in Manhattan until New Year’s Eve, when he meets Lara. The next morning, he notices something strange is going on – a terrified kid is being pursued by his father, and a girl, Sally, pleads with Nathan to hide her from her parents. There is no internet, no television, no phone coverage.

Nathan, Lara
Published December 2nd 2020 by Amazon KDP

To ask other readers questions about When the children come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the children come

Start your review of When the children come
M.  [storme reads a lot]
This was an emotionally packed book. I was drawn in from the first page and could not put it down. It was very well done, and I was thankful to have the chance to read the book.

This book hit home as I had close family members fighting in action. They have also had to deal with their problems like Nathan. Of course this book was different, but I do plan to get a copy for my family members who fought because they said this sounds like a book they would like.

I really enjoyed this book and all of th
Felicia
When the Children Come pulled me right in from the first page. No introductions or descriptive narrative. Kirwan dropped me right into the action.

Nathan, a military vet who never wanted children, is ironically guarding over two-hundred of them. He’s their protector and possibly last chance for survival… as long as he stays awake.

The story pulls back to explain how Nathan and the children came to be hiding in the abandoned school, and who they’re hiding from.

I enjoyed this page-turner, reading it
Jéssica
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I don't usually read Sci-Fi. Not because I don't like it, but because I haven't taken the chance and time to do it. It's a genre that I'm very curious about and that I hope I can explore more. The reason why I jumped to the opportunity to read this book.

"When the Children Come" is the first novel in a brand new series. As soon, it's my introduction not just to the author's writing and book, but also to a specific world he created for the series.

When I first read the synopsis, I was intrigued. Wh
Colin Garrow
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Traumatised from tours of duty in Afghanistan, Nathan’s existence is a lonely one. Then one New Year’s Eve he meets Lara and for one night his life begins to look promising. But the following day, something odd happens – a girl from a neighbouring family appears at his front door pleading for help. And that’s not the only weird thing going on…

What would you do if you woke up one day and the whole world had gone mad? Faced with a bizarre situation, our hero takes his new girlfriend and a frighten
Jessica Belmont
The minute I started reading When The Children Come by Barry Kirwan, I knew I was in for a thrill ride. The premise is unique, with twists that kept me on my toes. I loved it.

The characters are very true to life. They feel so real, I immediately was drawn to them.

The story opens with Nathan letting the readers know he doesn’t like kids. However, his situation contradicts that because he’s determined to save every child he can.

Lara is a risk taker. I liked her immediately. She has a NASA backgrou
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
When The Children Come by Barry Kirwan is a novel that pulls you in and won't let go until you reach the final page. A story that skilfully blends science fiction and fact together along with action that incorperates a gritty story and characters that are so indelibly real, flawed people who have experienced both sides of life and you can tell. In my eyes, when you can empathise with the characters almost immediately, the author has fulfilled their aim with that book.
Nathan is an army veteran,
Sue
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
When The Children Come, the first in a new series by Barry Kirwan, was a bit of a departure from my usual kind of sci-fi read, which normally comprises something about time travel, a full on space opera, a post-apocalyptic Dystopian nightmare, or a Black Mirror type mindbender.

There is a space element, as you can tell from the cover, but this is more of drop you in at the beginning of a terrifying apocalyptic scenario - and what a scenario it is! I am not ashamed to say that this is just the ki
Chloe 'hichlochu'
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Let me just start by saying I am a fantasy girl and can find Sci-Fi pretty boring at times. Especially when it gets too complex or outer-spacey. So picking this novel up, I was not sure what to expect. But I went in clear headed, midnight to the new year hit and all hell broke lose on earth. And I mean it, the book made me hug my two boys just a little bit tighter. So here’s what I thought.

*The book is set in modern day (pre-covid) when suddenly majority of the population become infected/turned/
Jasmine
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the Children Come is dystopian sci-fi novel that will immediately draw you in and have you on edge the entire time, anxiously wondering what might happen next. It's an emotional page-turner that's unlike any other alien invasion story I've come across, and that's what makes it unique and immensely more likable.
The beginning of the story had me hooked immediately, and I found myself up until 2 am the first night eagerly flying through the pages. My heart was beating so hard I thought it wou
Lydia Timpson
Jan 11, 2021 rated it liked it
A unique plot with well written characters and a writing style that keeps the tension high and the action rolling along.
My full review at www.brokengeekdesigns.com
Jane Turner
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This review of When the Children Come by Barry Kirwan came through a Blog Tour. I received a free copy of the ebook.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one! So much so that I’m anxiously awaiting book 2 (due in autumn 2021).

The writing is staccato – short sharp sentences and quite a few commas. At first it frustrated me a little, but I realised that Mr Kirwan has grasped a style so suited to the story – where you don’t know what’s going to happen from one scene to the next. By Chapter 4, I was thoroughly
Phyllis
Nina
Melissa Miles
Jan 12, 2021
Barry Kirwan
Dec 03, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mary
Helen Watson
Kara

• The Dark Room
  • Harley Quinn: Mad Love
  • New Arrivals at Hedgehog Hollow: The new heartwarming, uplifting page-turner from Jessica Redland
  • 37 Hours (Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller #2)
  • 66 Metres (Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller #1)
  • Belvedor and the Four Corners (Belvedor Saga, #1)
  • La mariée de corail
  • Play the Red Queen
  • Return to Hiroshima
  • The Last Colony (Old Man's War, #3)
  • The Nesting
  • Cooking For Cannibals
  • Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other
  • The Smallest Man
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
Barry (J F) Kirwan is a split personality. He writes science fiction under the name Barry Kirwan, and thrillers under his pen name J F Kirwan. In his day job, he travels worldwide, working on aviation safety. He lives in Paris, where he first joined a fiction class – and became hooked! This led to an acclaimed four-book series called the Eden Paradox. But when a back injury stopped him scuba divin ...more

News & Interviews