Start by marking “The Bride Will Keep Her Name” as Want to Read:
The Bride Will Keep Her Name

The Bride Will Keep Her Name

Something borrowed. Something blue. Do you really know the man to whom you’re saying ‘I do?’

Madison Mandelbaum is on top of the world. She’s got a loving — though totally neurotic — family, two fabulous girlfriends, and best of all, she’s head-over-heels in love with Colin Darcy, an investigative reporter for NBC, a distant relation to the Queen, and–most importantly–Maddi
Published June 16th 2009 by Crown (first published May 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Will Keep Her Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Will Keep Her Name

Start your review of The Bride Will Keep Her Name
Aubrey
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I was at the library and the cover and title caught my attention so I got it not knowing what it would be like and was very pleasently surprised. It is a fast read and keeps you on your toes but doesn't leave you with sleepless nights (which I loved). The very begining has some PG-13 stuff but nothing over the top. Grab this book if you are up for a mystery/love/comedy that will leave you wanting more.
Julie
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
I found this book on a Good Morning America summer reading list. It's about an NYC girl who's getting married in a week to "The Man of Her Dreams" when she starts receiving voicemails and texts leading her to believe he could be involved in a murder. Sounded kind of interesting to me and it did go quickly BUT: the author stressed weddings being The Ultimate Dream for every girl waaaaaaaay too much. So many phrases to the tune of: "the man of my dreams" and "every girl should have her wish on her ...more
Pearl
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
For light, breezy chick lit, this book actually had a few interesting things to say about marriage and knowing who your partner really is before you marry them. Jan Goldstein keeps the sappy romance stuff to a minimum, and he drives much of the story into mystery and political intrigue as the heroine tries to figure out if her fiance may have covered up a murder in the past. Decent plot and flowing prose make this one a surprisingly enjoyable read.
Janice Llewellyn
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
While on vacation on Prince Edward Island Canada, we stayed at a KOA campground in Cornwall. Needing something new to read, I found this on the "take one, leave one" bookshelf. I liked the cover, so left one and took it. It was "fluffy chick lit" at first, but soon became an intriguing mystery that kept me interested. At times the action was implausable and unrealistic, but always fun to read. The countdown to the wedding date, with the clock ticking, kept me reading. I enjoyed it . Liked the wr ...more
Lauren Faber
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
A girl receives mysterious messages a week before her wedding that her fiancé may have been involved in the murder of a young girl. In a quest to find out the truth, she, and her 2 friends, begin to follow some clues in order to find out the truth. To me, this book was extremely cheesy and not in the least bit suspenseful. I found myself rolling my eyes because many aspects of the plot could never happen in real life. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Deana Potter
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is definitely a mystery book but there was many a huge BANG mystery like it could be turned into a cheesy mystery movie..but not a super dark and twisted one like I was anticipating lol still a good read!
Adrienne
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! It was romance meets a whodunit. The characters were relatable and real. Dad was my favorite. I also appreciated that the chapters were short; it really made me feel like I was flying through the book. Please, make a part 2!
Megan Schemenauer
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Descriptive, detailed settings
Sherrie Gallegos
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this so much. Could not put this little mystery down until I finished it.
Nancy
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
It is sad when you have to get to page 213 of a 255 page book to get to a part that really resonates with you. Its one thing to read a mystery and figure out the who-done-it part, but when you read a book that solidly fits into the women's fiction category, the reader is expecting a little more meat early on.

Jan Goldstein, a man who actually hits the woman voice with surprising accuracy, introduces us to Madison Mandelbaum days before her fairytale wedding to the too good to be true Colin Darcy.
Lisa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not a fan. Ps-women don’t “scream” as much as this guy thinks we do.
Amruta
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book from the library solely based on its title. I was intrigued by the notion that someone would actually go ahead and write a novel about a decision, that creates so much unnecessary drama in the life of married girls like me - the decision of keeping our maiden names.

I expected it to be a little feminist, a little rebellious account of how a bride keeps her name, but it turned out to be much, much more than that!

The book is about a soon-to-be bride, Madison, and her perfect wo
Caitlin Trepp
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I should have heeded the warning on the back cover. Even though I have an early day tomorrow I could not put this book down. I originally picked it up at the library because I opened it to a random page and the narrative is intriguing. It really has that sense of urgency that normally I don't go for but was really working for it. It was well paced, romantic, and kept me guessing. I liked the cast of characters who felt real (except of course that this is a mystery/romance).

I didn't give the book
Relyn
Oct 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at Borders
Blech! OK, I am all for books that are fun, just brain candy. As long as they are well written brain candy. This book? Nope. Not even a little. First, the characters aren't even likeable. And, people, people! Haven't we written enough take offs on Pride and Prejudice? Seriously? Can't you at least think of your own character names? And if you are going to copy a classic, at least do it well. At least be funny like Helen Feilding. Let me just say this. I didn't finish the book. And I didn't care ...more
Dedra
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
A week before her wedding New Yorker Madison Mandelbaum receives an anonymous phone call telling her that her perfect fiancé, a reporter for NBC News, may not be the man she thinks he is. Is it a joke? Or something sinister? With her two best friends, Maddie has just a few days to find the truth - in between fittings, bachelorette parties and meeting her prospective father-in-law, who is a distant cousin to the Queen. Sort of a combination Sex in the City and Stephanie Plum, The Bride Will Keep ...more
Katie
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This was a pretty interesting book. As I was reading it, i felt like the author was getting the characters so deeply into trouble, that there was no way that the story could end with not only a wedding, but with everyone in the wedding party being outside a jail cell. However, with a surprising twist at the end, it all worked out in a very reasonable and extremely believable manner. I was impressed with that.
Anita Johnson
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun to read over a rainy weekend. I haven't read anything by this author before but will definitely look into his other novels. I just happened to see it on a cart in the library and, horrors, judged it to be entertaining by its cover. I am happy to say it was even better. It is a combination of mystery and humor used to tell a story of love and friendship. The characters pop back into my mind here and there and make me smile. I think that's a strong endorsement for any book.
Karen
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I get so tired of picking up books in which the dialogue of otherwise well-educated and well-brought-up young women is liberally sprinkled with gutter slang and four-letter words, but I kept reading anyway and was rewarded with secrets gradually revealed and a relatively well-structured mystery. I loved both the final sentence in the book and the sentiment behind it. This is really a summer beach read, though, and although I'm not at the beach yet, it is summer.
Hilary
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Meh.

This was better written than a lot of chick lit I've read. It was more intelligent, and focused on a powerful friendship between grown women, which was nice. Still, I thought it was a little predictable, and maybe leaned too much on telling rather than showing. Overall, a light read, but not unpleasantly so.
Aug 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A mysterious call leaves Madison suspicious her fiance is involved in a murder. Terrible plot (four million holes and completely inconceivable), absurd and yet indistinguishable characters, poor editing - and usually I wouldn't mention this, but the cover design was notably and jarringly wrong for the book.
Ashley
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Meh. For chick-lit I was expecting more. But it was inconceivable. Even for a murder/mystery. The main character was obnoxious. and it seemed as though none of the characters ever worked or slept. And the author mistakingly wrote in about one character wearing a scrunchy, a faux pas amongst many male authors writing female characters.
Cheryl
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chick lit meets mystery -- a wonderful combination! My complaint with mysteries is the magical abundance of clues to sort out! But, this book uses Maddie's wedding coming up in ONE week as a frame for figuring out what is the true story about her fiancee Colin Darcy -- is he a murderer? It's fast-paced and entertaining. thanks, Karen Zeck, for sharing.
Kshydog
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A lot more to this chick lit book. Liked that there was a mystery, she learns some interesting secrets that help understand her parents, true friends willing to risk careers to help. Worried Colin was going to be just a handsome face but he really was so much more. Fast enough pace for a story of things happening in one week.
Greymalkin
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit, fiction
Light and fluffy. Pretty well rendered female protagonist with tiny little details I didn't expect from a male author. Not a very satisfying mystery but the character building was pretty decent for such a fast-paced mystery novel.
Jean Perry
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really liked this book. Goldstein does a great job of writing women's thoughts and voices and true women characters. All of the characers - both senses of that word - were well drawn and interesting. Good mystery, compelling. I'll look for his other 2 books.
Leslie
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A delightful romp - well developed and likable characters - mystery - what more could a person ask for. I liked this book very much - was a little sad to see it end and hope that these characters come to life again down the road.
Beth Kibel Soulliard
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this from library based solely on the cover, thinking it would be a light, fun read. It was better! A little mystery, intrigue and story of great friends. Plot itself is a little far fetched but told so well you don'the mind.
Elyse Rudin
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun read. A 28 NY Jewish girl is getting married in one week. She receives a note saying her fiancée isn't who she thinks he is... She and her two bffs set out to find the truth. Not a must read but entertaining and a nice escape.
Carrie
Jun 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Fun idea. Decent prose, except for the few times when the author tries to write how he thinks a female rom com author would write. It felt like he dumbed some passages down to fit the genre.
Amber
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it

This was a quick read. I've been hooked on romances lately and enjoyed the murder-mystery aspect of it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • The Atonement Child
  • 21 Hours
  • Don't Lie to Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #1)
  • Never Ever (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #3)
  • Heart of Ice (Emily Kenyon, #2)
  • What You Did (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #2)
  • Now That She's Gone (Waterman and Stark, #2)
  • The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy
  • The Eva Rae Thomas Mystery Series: Book 1-3
  • Whiskey Rebellion (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #1)
  • Whispers in the Canyon
  • If a Tree Falls: A Kurtz and Barent Mystery (Kurtz and Barent Mysteries Book 6)
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • The Secret Cove in Croatia  (Romantic Escapes, Book 5)
  • Endless Evil (Pruitt County Mysteries, #1)
  • Forbidden Birth (Chris Ravello Medical Thriller #2)
  • Played to Death (Scott Drayco Mystery Series, #1)
There is more than one author with this name in the database.

Jan Goldstein is the author of two national fiction bestsellers, All That Matters and The Prince of Nantucket, recently optioned for film. His work has been translated into more than a dozen foreign languages and has been selected for the New York Times Hot List as well as by the Book of the Month Club, the Doubleday Book Club, and the Q

News & Interviews