Start by marking “The Mystery Shopper & The Hot Tub: Book One Of The De'ath Family Antics” as Want to Read:
The Mystery Shopper & The Hot Tub: Book One Of The De'ath Family Antics

The Mystery Shopper & The Hot Tub: Book One Of The De'ath Family Antics

A genuinely very funny and irreverent debut novel about life, love, sex, double lives, mystery shopping and hot tubs.

Brooke’s a gorgeous young mum who lives in Essex. Her favourite things in life:

1.    Her baby, Paige
2.    Husband Dean
3.    Chardonnay
4.    Hot tubs
5.    OK! magazine

Published January 22nd 2021 by In Jest

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery Shopper & The Hot Tub, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery Shopper & The Hot Tub

Start your review of The Mystery Shopper & The Hot Tub: Book One Of The De'ath Family Antics
Belinda Smith
Feb 23, 2021 rated it liked it
This was exactly what I needed...a quick, easy, fun read. After a long day, this book had me laughing out loud. I finished it in a day. Full of fun characters with hilarious antics that I couldn't stop reading.

This book has a simple plot but strikes the right balance and doesn't over commit to anything be it comedy, emotional. scenes, arguments etc. You will feel content at the end. I just love that about it.
Karen Andrew

2.    Husband Dean
3.    Chardonnay
4.    Hot tubs
5.    OK! magazine

All that’s missing is the hot tub. Brooke's bored at home and wants financial independence, but mostly a hot tub and Dean’s a man with traditional values and he doesn’t want Brooke to work. She secretly tak
Samantha
Feb 20, 2021 rated it liked it
Brooke is a beautiful stay at home mom who loves her daughter, husband, and obtaining her sophisticated image. Her husband Dean is a hardworking man with traditional values, so when Brooke suggests she gets a job to get a new hot tub she has been looking at, he refuses to let her go into the workforce. In order to make the money for a new hot tub in time for Brooke's 21st birthday, Dean gets a secret job as a Mystery Shopper alongside his office job while Brooke secretly gets a job for herself a ...more
Georgia Bennett
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing out loud with tears in my eyes at a fair few stages... mostly at Dean's mystery shopping experiences.

I love that this book was such an easy read, where you get an insight into the characters' minds, too. I felt like a lot of their thoughts and feelings were relatable, which I really love in a book. Especially those who know the area of Essex (a county in England), you'll immedietly understand the type of couple being portrayed.

Both characters are so strong in their own
Melanie’s reads
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book starts with Brooke and Dean viewing a hot tub at a garden centre. Brooke is your stereotypical Essex girl, all fur coat and no knickers, and Dean is her poor put upon husband. Ambitious in lifestyle requirements but unfortunately without the income to match they both take on various schemes to try to buy the hot tub. Brooke so she would be the epitome of success in her social circle and Dean because deep down all he wants is to make Brooke happy.

Then things get messy and this became th
Alquine Miranda
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
It was a fun read, although not remarkable.

1) The story ended on Brooke's 25th birthday. It was mentioned that she was born in the 80's. So this must have happened sometime between 2005 - 2014. It would be better to have more references towards that era so readers can have a better picture of what's in at that time. It did mention the Beckhams and Bono but it felt too far-fetched.

2) As for Dean, the husband. I find it odd for a planner like him ( he was described as OCD in the book) to mess up w
Amna Waqar
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
This was a light, humorous read. The main couple fell into stereotypical Essex couple category; Brooke, the epitome of an Essex girl and her husband Dean. Brooke, a stay-at home mum craves a luxurious lifestyle whereas Dean doesn't have the income to match and therefore, both take on jobs secretly in order to buy a hot tub.
Dean becomes a mystery shopper and what ensues is hilarious. Brooke starts working at a manor house but I really had no idea what her job description actually was. It is thro
Book Him Danno
Jan 06, 2021 rated it liked it
The mystery Shopper is trying to hard to be a over the top humors story that at times falls flat with the chauvinism that is constantly presented to readers over and over again. The author gives readers a introduction that will help readers understand the reason as to why the characters do what they do.

The story is very much British humor that not many American readers will enjoy. Yet the author is able to create laugh out loud moments, a cast of characters that are a mix and match to the world
Karen Fan
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book was ok, but just not my cup of tea. I kept thinking this would be more fun as a movie or something instead of a book. The ending kind of drove me insane, since there is no closure anywhere for anything. I guess the cliffhanger is suppose to want to make you read book 2, but I just kind of frustrated me. If I had to sum up the characters; her - spoiled and annoying and him - completely clueless.

*EDIT - updated my review from 2 to 3.5 (rounding up to 4 stars) after the author reached out
Nancy
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley, Helen E. Field and Cameron Publicity & Marketing Ltd for the ARC of The Mystery Shopper & The Hot Tub. This is my personal review.
This book has a little bit of everything in it. The book is a quick easy read and one that I think a lot of people will like and knowing it is Book One Of The De'ath Family Antics makes it even better. The next is going to be a book to look forward to reading
Pat Houston
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book very amusing and entertaining. I particularly liked how the relationship between Brooke and Lady Townsend developed
You become aware that there is more to Brooke than even she realises
I also now know that I could never be a Mystery Shopper!
Looking forward to the next book.

Kerry-louise Jones
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to enjoy this one as the idea was great and the characters could have been brilliant, I like that women getting back into work after raising a child was a theme but It just didn’t work. I thought Dean was an arse and treated people completely horribly in order to get what he needed. A lot of the dialogue made me cringe.
Sherry
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Vivid, funny, and it sort of book you don’t want to put down until you reach the end. The end itself is clever and imaginative. I thought the characters were well-developed. the setting /phrases in England Might throw you for a minute but it’s easy enough to get the jest of it
Hannah
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was an enjoyable read. The characters are convincing and likeable and the plot was funny and easy to follow, whilst keeping me entertained and developing the characters.
P M Graham
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A fun lighthearted read, looking forward to the next one.
Julie Tingay
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Witty and light fun read, loved the characters especially Brooke..
I would recommend this book as a good read for a giggle and a bit of refreshing laughter in these testing times... really cheered me up and it's very relatable especially if you do have family in Essex !

Bravo on your debut book hope there's more to follow.
Becca
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Mystery Shopper and the Hot Tub is a laugh-out-loud novel. Brooke and Dean De’Ath are a pair of characters. A married couple that are as similar as they are different, they’re a stereotypical ‘Essex’ duo, with a one-year-old girl. Brooke is stay-at-home Mum who cares for her daughter, but dreams of bigger things. She gets a ‘secret’ job working in a country house for a Lady and is drawn in to a world that couldn’t be more different from her own. Dean is a call centre worker itching for a pro ...more
Jahnabels

• Deity (Six Stories #5)
  • To Have and to Hoax
  • The Push
  • The Winter Berry House
  • Courting Can Be Killer (An Amish Matchmaker Mystery #2)
  • Wine Tastings Are Murder (A Poppy McAllister Mystery, #5)
  • An Imperfect Christmas
  • Calvin the Christmas Tree: The Greatest Christmas Tree of All.
  • Black Widows
  • Coming Home to Brightwater Bay
  • The Abduction of Pretty Penny (Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mystery #5)
  • The Prince and the Troll (Faraway Collection)
  • The Dare
  • Just Friends
Helen Field is a business woman, writer, publisher of greetings cards, funny poet, speaker, traveller and author of The Mystery Shopper & the Hot Tub.

She was born and brought up in Waltham Abbey in Essex and currently lives in a small village in North West Essex, so it would be fair to say she has earned her “Essex girl” badge!​

Helen has had a varied and interesting career in retail and hospitalit

News & Interviews