Start by marking “The Oaken Throne (The Deptford Histories, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Oaken Throne (The Deptford Histories, #2)

The Oaken Throne

(The Deptford Histories #2)

'The Oaken Throne' charts the dark wars between the bats and the squirrels. Vesper, a young bat, and Ysabelle, the squirrel maiden are unaware of the events that will sweep them along on a nightmarish journey.
Published by Hodder Children's Books (first published September 30th 1993)

X
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I should learn that Jarvis's books are very close to being dark fantasy/horror. I was surprised by how dark this book was, but it was very good. It's a dark fantasy/quest story with animal protagonists, but it is also a story of friendship, prejudice, religion and fate vs. freewill. I cared a lot about the main characters (very unfortunate in any Jarvis book, I am learning), and through out the book was never sure which of the other characters were good or bad.

Very good, very dark, an
Becky
This is the second Robin Jarvis novel I've read, and I continue to be amazed at how dark and depressing a story about squirrels, bats and mice can be. I enjoyed the characters and the world Jarvis created, but the evil forces presented in the book are truly frightening.
Mariel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to have Robin Jarvis come to the Secondary School I was in, and do a talk about writing to encourage us kids. He also had a sale of his books at the end and signed any we bought for us. From his descriptions of Vesper the bat, I just knew I had to get a book with that character in it, and thus bought this one (not caring it was the second part in a series). I still have and treasure that signed copy, and re-read it from time to time.

His writing brings the scenes to life to the
Erica
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, but engrossing. Lots of action, and ends with a tragic twist. Don't expect daises and sunshine from the Oaken Throne. Do expect murder, cannibalistic rituals, conniving squirrels, freaky hares, interspecies love, ghosts and other ghastly things, pure evil shooting up from the ground, and one hell of a ride.
Matthew Hodge
A little bit Shakespeare, a little bit Canterbury tales, a little bit Tolkien. One of Mr Jarvis' more unusual outings, it tells the back story of the animosity between the bats and the squirrels that is hinted at in the original Deptford Mice trilogy.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but some of the chapters are surprisingly powerful.
Louve
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I just found my new favorite book.
Mandy
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always preferred Robin's humanity-based books to his woodland creature features, but I have to say this one was uncommonly good; almost a miniature Lord of The Rings of The Forest. Twists and turns aplenty, as you'd expect from the master, and every one of them signposted to high heaven when you go back to check if you've been duped or not. But Robin, Robin, Robin - and I need to write this carefully to avoid spoilers - what you did to him at the end, oh, that's so cruel. So, so cruel. It's ...more
Isaiah Erby
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bruh
I think that there should be an entire series dedicated to this book alone. I personally want to continue reading what happens to the characters. When people read books they can become one with the characters and I need another story until then I am frozen in time and just going through the motions.
Tim
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I LOVED this book - this is one of Jarvis's best.

Nothing like becoming engrossed in a story with a twist which takes your breath away, and an ending that brings a tear to your eye! Beautifully written and one of my favourite books.
Edward Davies
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
You start to expect twists in Jarvis's books by this stage, and this doesn't disappoint. A dark quest which shows the reasons behind the loathing felt between the squiirels and the bats.
Winifred
I liked this book. Good against evil in the animal world. Characters strive to get to greenreach, which is like the holy place.
Tim Jones
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great kids for all ages book. This book follows the adventure of the squirrel world.
Becca
  • The Magic World
  • Jo of the Chalet School
  • Sticks Across the Chimney: A Story of Denmark
  • Witch Dreams
  • Drenai Tales: Volume Three (Drenai Tales, #7-9)
  • Fauns and Filinians (Prophet of Panamindorah #1)
  • Real Cowboys
  • Monument
  • Dragon Cauldron
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Deptford Histories (3 books)
  • The Alchemist's Cat (The Deptford Histories, #1)
  • Thomas (The Deptford Histories, #3)
“I shall not waste any more words on you," she said coldly. "Your mind is too closed to hear them.” 4 likes
“Have no fear," the voice told her, "for in thee lies the hope of all. Only thou can deliver the land from darkness."
"How can I?" she asked. "I am just one against so many."
The eyes gleamed behind the dappling leaves. "Yet the smallest acorn may become the tallest oak," came the answer.”
1 likes