Start by marking “Last Night” as Want to Read:
Last Night

Last Night

Two best friends.
One missed chance.
And a night that changes everything.
Eve, Justin, Susie and Ed have been friends since they were eighteen. Now in their 30s, the four are still as close as ever, Thursday pub quiz night is still sacred, and Eve is still secretly in love with Ed.

Maybe Eve should have moved on by now, but she can’t stop thinking about what could have been. A
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: April 1st 2021 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Last Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Night

Start your review of Last Night
*The Angry Reader*
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020
I think this was the Mhairi McFarlanest of the Mhairi McFarlane books I’ve read. (Which is, coincidentally, all of them.) She has a specific writing style and a manner of unfolding the story - and that was in full effect here. And while I had a good idea of the major players and their roles nothing felt rote Bc McFarlane successfully tackles some big big issues in a beautiful way.
And because I just finished it I’m so tempted to say it’s the best of her books. (I should reread the others for an
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
thanks mhairi im crying

Rep: gay side character

CWs: sudden death of a friend, panic attack, past physical abuse by parenty
Ashelee Gerald
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY!!! Just last week After my 10,000th reread of If I Never Met You, I thought “I need something new from Mhairi McFarlane”. FF, I hop on Netgalley and randomly select this one based on the cover and description, and it wasn’t until I opened it on my Kindle did I even notice the author! How serendipitous?!?!?! This was a great read to kick off my 2021! Sometimes McFarlane’s characters and their flaws can be formulaic and repetitive, but hey, it works. I love a witty protagonist and McFarlane ...more
Blue
I’ve been reading raving reviews of McFarlane’s books but never got a chance to read them. I was glad to get a chance to read this beauty, now I understand the hype around her books and this book definitely exceeded my expectations. I am happy that I have her previous books to devour.

It’s about four friends - Eve, Susie, Ed and Justin, who have been friends since school. I warmed to them from the get go and their witty banter was hilarious and made me reminisce about the time spent with my frien
Jessica Howard
Mhairi McFarlane has a very specific style of writing:
--northern English setting
--heroine who undervalues herself
--hero who is seen as an 'arsehole' at the beginning
-- often the book begins with the end of a long relationship or emotional affair.

So you know what you're getting when you start one. But man this one is her best yet. She's perfected her style, and Eve's story is so wonderful.

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say it's Eve growing after a personal loss, and reconsidering
Joelle
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eve has managed to find one of the greatest things in life: a tight-knit group of friends who stick together through all of the ups and downs of adulthood. These four know each other inside and out and can depend on each other for support, humor, and quiz night at the pub every Thursday. But when tragedy strikes, secrets come out, along with people and events from the past. How well does everyone actually know each other...?

I was so excited to receive an advanced copy of this book, as I'm a huge
Ashley *Booksbrewsandbarks*
Usually I dislike books that unfold too slowly but this book gripped me so quickly with its beautiful writing and development that I found myself not minding the slow pace of the plot at all. Instead, it gave me plenty of time to connect with the main character of Eve as she traverses her grief over the death of her close friend and examines the relationships she has with those around her, as well as the paths she has chosen in her own life.

This book is not some light romance that makes for a qu
ari♡
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I'm so happy to have got my hands on this early! This was one of those books where I got something better than I bargained for. I went in expecting something and got so much more. I had low expectations and really thought I wouldn't like it. I really liked that although it explored a few tropes, it was realistic. It had me up thinking. I was able to connect to the characters despite not having gone through what they'd gone through. The mc had to deal with some home hard truths and they took ...more
Poppy
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mhairi McFarlane, one of my favourite authors, has another hit on her hands with her incredible new novel 'Last Night'. The storyline treads the path of familiar themes, love, death, friendship, family bonds, but is darker in tone than McFarlene's previous novels. However, do not fear that this means her sharp wit is lost. The difficult moments in the plot are handled sensitively but never losing the humorous edge of the novel, the writing keeping the reader laughing and tear-ridden in equal mea ...more
Amber
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not at all my usual read, honestly, BUT that is exactly why I chose it!

And I thoroughly enjoyed it! This book is about friendship, and love. And I appreciated that this book stayed true to the wonderful, beautiful, gritty, and sometimes awful nature of relationships (both romantic and otherwise).

If you are looking for a story about actions and their consequences, dealing with the "What Ifs" of life, and growing and changing as a person--this is for you!

The characters are not stagnant,
Kyndall Williams
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friendships are forever or are they? This story follows Evelyn as she navigates love, loss, tragedy and finding the strength to love again, which is a lot for one story. Will the loss Eve is feeling, keep her from finding her happiness??

🌟🌟🌟🌟

This book was more of a 3.5 stars read for me. The subject matter can read kind of heavy with all the loss and back story mixed with family issues. I guess I never really found my groove reading this book. I also don't know of a more appropriate title but I
the lady e
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

Knocking a star off Mhairi McFarlane’s latest just because a lot of the book deals with grief so it is very sad, which is not necessarily a problem but it just took awhile to get to the unputdownable parts that I’ve experienced in all of her books. Like her others, there was a sweet and unpredictable romance, and this book had an unexpected trip in the middle that made the book very compelling. But I liked that this book was very different than I first expected
Crystal
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, december2020
This one got off to a slower start than I would've liked, but the last third of the book made up for it! I loved the outcome! ...more
Sam Palencia
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got an advanced copy of Just Last Night by Mhairi McFarlane and nearly died on the spot with excitement. I am a big fan of all of her past books that I’ve read and this one was no different!

It was definitely an emotional rollercoaster of a book and without giving anything away- this book deals with some heavier themes. Despite that, even in the midst of all the heaviness, it is balanced out with well timed moments of levity.

This book has so much witty dialogue- which is present in all of Mhai
Bookgrrl
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eve, Justin, Susie, and Ed have been friends since they were teenagers. Now in their thirties, the four are as close as ever, Thursday night bar trivia is sacred, and Eve is still secretly in love with Ed. But in an instant their lives are changed forever. Eve’s world is upended as secrets are revealed, and she wonders if she really knew her friends as well as she thought she did.

This is my first time hearing of this author, and I am officially in love! This is the first ARC that I read that I’m
Danielle
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eve, Susie, Ed, and Justin have been friends since they were teenagers. Eve has been secretly in love with Ed for years and suspects he may have feelings for her as well, but then something happens that turns everyone's world upside down.

Now to my somewhat spoilery review. So many things about this book bugged me. The fact that Ed and Eve would have only communicated via letter about their love and never actually talked about it was dumb. The fact that Ed and Hester had been together for 16 yea
Terri Zumbrook
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book broke my heart, put it back together, then turned around and broke it again. It is a poignant look at a life long friendship of four people who tragedy hits and forces them to deal with things swept under the rug. Secrets, betrayal, manipulation, and unrequited love test this friendship during the toughest of times.

I just enjoyed how seamlessly Mhairi McFarlane took us between the past and present at just the right time so we fully felt what the characters felt then and now. I have to
Leslie Dupont
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mhairi McFarlane once again did not disappoint! This was a slow burn, but when I really got the meat of the book, she tackles some hard subjects. Physical abuse, self loathing, overcoming, and more. It was a beautiful book about friendship, forgiveness, and moving forward. Her characters were difficult to like at first and I’m still not sure how I felt about Susie, but they all grew on you. Thank you Justin because he was a beacon in some of Eve’s darker moments.
Jamie
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book... I've read others by Mhairi McFarlane and was excited when I received the ARC for Just Last Night. The characters were relatable, witty and real. It was a little slow to get into but at the same time I didn't want to put it down. It was beautifully written with great dialogue and great characters. I was a little disappointed with the letters and diaries, I kept waiting for Eve to slip and read more and find something really juicy =) I would recommend! ...more
Paula Pugh
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a compelling novel written with excellent characters and a drama that twists and turns and keeps you riveted. I loved it.
Kirsty
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really liked it but found it a hard read because of the main focus of the story
Nicole Pinto
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the feels. It is a little slow to get into but please keep going as it is worth the read. Thank you to netgalley for the ARC.
Kay
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow
Anna
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm becoming a Mhairi McFarlane fangirl. And this book was one of my favorites of the year. McFarlane manages to write some of the best main characters and supporting characters. Following along as Eve navigates relationships, both romantic and platonic was a joy. And I was laughing (and crying for a bit) the whole way. I cannot wait for this to come out on audio so my Texas ears can hear the authentic accents. I highly recommend McFarlane to everyone looking for a book about friendships and lov ...more
Nite0wl29
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-reads, dnf
What a fun pick-me up after reading a happy dose of angst in my previous book. I found the humor fun and entertaining and, of course, the smut was perfectly steamy. Nice to indulge after finishing up a slow burn!

Thank you for gifting me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
VanLatte

• The Soulmate Equation
  • Perfect on Paper
  • How to Fail at Flirting
  • You Have a Match
  • Life's Too Short (The Friend Zone, #3)
  • The Dog Share
  • Malibu Rising
  • The Layover
  • It Happened One Summer
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • The Road Trip
Mhairi was born in Scotland in 1976 and her unnecessarily confusing name is pronounced Vah-Ree.

After some efforts at journalism, she started writing novels. It’s Not Me, It’s You is her third book. She lives in Nottingham, with a man and a cat.