Start by marking “Democraten 2100” as Want to Read:
Democraten 2100

Democraten 2100

John Lyle is priester-militair in het leger van een dictator die de Verenigde Staten militair en religieus in zijn ban heeft. John wordt verliefd op 'zuster' Judith en ontdekt de eigenaardige rol die vrouwen spelen in de dictatuur. John en Judith weten ternauwernood te ontspannen aan de straf voor afvalligen. Ze sluiten zich aan bij de verzetsbeweging der Kabbalisten. Mili ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 284 pages
Published 1994 by Het Spectrum (first published April 1st 1953)

Start your review of Democraten 2100
Lyn
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to join with Spider Robinson and so many other literary critics who populate the science fiction genre of literature in stating that a bad Heinlein novel is still better than a “good” novel by most anyone else.

Revolt in 2100 is not at all a bad Heinlein, though, it is quite good. Any serious reader of RAH will want to know more about Nehemiah Scudder and the origins of Andrew Jackson Libby, and both can be found in the pages of Revolt in 2100. The Future History of RAH is sprinkled l
Deborah Ideiosepius
Having randomly picked this old classic off the shelf for a re-read I wonder how random it really was or whether my subconscious was playing tricks on me. Having just recently discussed another old classic sci-fi that has more recently risen to prominence " The Handmaid's Tale" it was interesting to look at some parallels between the two.

Revolt in 2100 is actually three stories in one cover, however the first uses up 140 of the 187 pages while the other two are in the nature of small vignettes t
Jeff Yoak
This is the only story I remember actually based during the 21st Century religious dictatorship under Nehemiah Scudder. The backdrop is a little depressing and the longer two stories lack Heinlein's typical talent for creating amazing characters.
Bryan Alkire
Ok book. This one is actually a short novel, novella and short story bundled together. The story is interesting. One thing this author does well is tell a story. But, the story has become dated. The future tech reads like the 1950’s pre-electronic revolution. The dialogue is painful and straight out of the 50’s. The characters are straight out of the 50’s and match the author’s usual stereotypes in his other work. In short, nothing but the general story still holds up. But, it’s compelling. Acco ...more
Collin
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heinlein completists
Recommended to Collin by: Jesse
Depending on the quality of your taste, 2/5ths to 3/5ths of the books you read in your life will be better than this one. That's not an awful spot to be, proportionally speaking, but the mediocrity of this book is a definite downer from what Heinlein is capable of. I mean, read this book if you want to complete your collection, but otherwise pick almost any of his other books at random and you'll be better off.

This book contains 3 completely unrelated stories, one of which is moderately enjoyabl
Jim
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1paper, scifi, 2fiction
It's a good, fast read with a couple of interesting themes in it. First, the U.S. has become a corrupt theocracy, which is a different future than most SF writers have looked at. The second is a unified field theory for science, where they figure out how gravity, electricity & magnetism all work. This break through in science is leveraged in the revolt. I found it interesting that time was left out, but the pseudo-science is fun.

It's a very monochrome view of a revolution. The bad guys are reall
Manny
Mar 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Dystopian SF novel in which an early 21st century US is taken over by a repressive right-wing theocracy. Obviously it could never happen, but fun all the same.

M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
If you really want to enjoy these stories, buy 'The Past through Tomorrow', which collects most of Mr. Heinlein's connected short stories in one easy-to-read volume. I bought this book at a bookstore thinking it'd be some new stories (I really ought to have checked the back of the book!) This publisher leaves a lot to be desired in way of how they have handled and organized some of Mr. Heinlein's work.

Again, buy 'The Past through Tomorrow'. It is a much more complete/definitive book than this ha
Timothy Boyd
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though Heinlein's stories were written decades ago they are still a great read and are classics of early SiFi. While the books are quick reads you find yourself analyzing the deeper questions Heinlein weaves into the story. Always a great read, Very recommended
Stuart
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good concept, but: Heinlein. Plodding and colorless. Add a somewhat embarrassing adoration of Freemasonry and awkwardness around female characters, and it’s definitely not going to crack the ‘best dystopian’ list.
Jim
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book includes a novella and two short stories by Robert A. Heinlein ( 1907-1988 ). The novella is "If This Goes On--" and it's about the revolution that overthrows a religious dictatorship over the United States in the year 2100. I had the book as a kid and I had read a number of Heinleins back in elementary school--but I thought the idea of a religious dictatorship was the most ridiculous idea I had ever heard of. Everyone knows we have separation of church and state, I thought. How could ...more
Paul Weiss
The USA today seems intent on proving Heinlein right!

As the 21st century comes to a close, Nehemiah Scudder is First Prophet. Once a low IQ itinerant backwoods preacher, he now sits at the pinnacle of a fundamentalist Christian theocracy. It rules the former USA from New Jerusalem, the seat of an oppressive, right-wing government that punishes sin, heresy, blasphemy or even any openly expressed lapses of a doubting faith with all of the awesome power of modern technology, science and even applie
Roddy Williams
A minor fix-up novel from Heinlein, where he explores the theme of insurgency and revolution; a concept he was to return to again and again. In ‘The Moon is a Harsh Mistress’ the residents of Luna revolted and declared independence. ‘Stranger in a Strange Land’ examined a subversive yet benign cultural revolution. Here, the rebellion is against a repressive Theocracy which has taken over the US in the year 2100.
A naïve young soldier in the private guard of The Prophet (the despotic leader of the
Ryan
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of three stories (one novella, two long short stories) with sort of the same theme but standing independently. Some of Heinlein's lesser-read books, but still great. First, a religious cult (Falwell-style) takes over the US and an exploration of the lives of good people living within it (spoiler: they act like Heinleinian heroes...). Basically "Handmaid's Tale" by Heinlein.

Second, an exploration of "the paradox of tolerance" in a society with perfect government. Not as fully develo
Wampuscat

Just looking at some of the other reviews on this one before writing mine forces me to say.... A science fiction book should not get five stars simply because it was written by Heinlein.

I think this was a bad place for me to start on Heinlein's future history work. I hadn't done my homework on Heinlein that much, so I didn't realize it was the third in a series of collected works. So, this review is from the perspective of someone with zero background on the first two books in the collection/se
Ian G
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Read this again by accident, as I'd orginally read it so long ago I'd forgotten the title. Nonetheless it was a pleasant trip down memory lane. Collection contains: "If this goes on"; "Coventry,"and "Misfit", all part of Heinlein's Future History timeline. Future as seen from the 50's, that is, with personal rocket ships, individual subway tubes, flying cars, telepathy, 'blasters', etc.

The first two stories deal with the downfall and aftermath of the repressive theocracy that Heinlein figured w
Amir Nakar
Cool ideas, not well done.
The book is a futuristic sci-fi book that is split into 3 stories (which sort of follow each other in chronology but the connections are vague to non-existent)

The first which is the longest and weakest is about a dystopian religious America, where a prophet rules the country in a very Orwellian way (1984-ish), and a revolt against said prophet. I don't want to spoil it but my biggest problem was the inconsistency: the hero ditches his whole life philosophy several times
Jack Webb
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary and fun

Great anthology from the master. Always liked this introduction to the wonderful character of "Slipstick" Libby. And like Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", Heinlein's novella "Revolt in 2100" scares the heck out of me, due to it's all-too-possible scenario.

Thomas
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heinlein, Robert A. Revolt in 2100. 1953. Baen, 1981.
Revolt in 2100 began as separately published magazine pieces—a novella, “If This Goes On--,” and shorter pieces, “Coventry” and “Misfit”— written at the outset of the second world war. In the early 1950s, the stories were expanded and joined with a short outline of Heinlein’s future history. In 1939-40, Heinlein seems to have been worried that religious fundamentalism with a charismatic tyrant could lead the United States into its own form of
Mel
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this even more if I'd a) read the World as Myth and peripheral books in a better order, and b) understood that Lazarus Long does not make an appearance. When you're waiting for something to happen, and it never does, it's confusing and frustrating. But that's had no impact on my rating.

There were 3 main stories in this book, connected only by date, not characters. The latter introduces Andrew Jackson Libby, a character in Methuselah's Children. It's a good follow-up
Charles Harrison
I got the three in one edition with 'Coventry' and 'Misfits' included.
The core story is good and does the usual Heinlein trick of making you sympathise with a moderately unpleasant set of 'good guys.' The setting is rich and believable but at times there is simply too much explaining going on to make this a truly great novel. Having the Masons as the underlying revolutionary force was unexpected but worked weirdly well.
'Coventry' makes it worth reading 'Revolt' some great discussions of justice
Robert Arl
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A re-read of a one of the four volumes of Heinlein's future history stories. The main story in this collection, If This Goes On--, is very timely. It details the 2nd American Revolution.... the story of the overthrow of a hundred year long despotic religious dictatorship.

Of particular interest is Heinlein's afterward in which he (accurately) describes the future he thought was possible from trends he observed in 1953 America.

An interesting read given the results of the 2016 presidential electi
Dane Morgan
Revolt in 2100 was a quick read and full of great quotes. I find all of Heinlein's work to be full of great quotes. I probably enjoyed the first short, Coventry, set in the future after the revolt of the main story the most. I would love to have seen that explored further, into a full novel or even a trilogy.

I enjoyed all three stories though, and the themes written those decades ago still ring through to our condition here in the US today.
Mrklingon
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-sf
What a crazy idea, the US controlled by a xenophobic, intolerant religious dictatorship - where do these SF writers get their ideas??? (glances at newspaper) Oh, right.

This is classic Heinlein and sadly, sadly prescient.
Jake Saunders
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Heinlein classic made new by his prescient understanding of American culture and politics. It is typical of his books and by that I mean a novella and two shorter stories connected by a setting made real by thoughtful details.
Mark
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third collection of Robert A. Heinlein’s so-called Future History. The first was The Man Who Sold the Moon, the second was The Green Hills of Earth .)

By this third book stories are being deliberately connected together into Heinlein’s loose timeline framework, which developed from a conversation with Astounding editor John W. Campbell in 1941.

The stories in this edition are:

"If This Goes On—" (Expanded from the version originally published in Astounding Science Fiction, February
Shane Hawk
A novella + two short stories with a minimal narrative connection. The novella, “If This Goes On—“, was rather good and an interesting look at a theocratic dictatorship in America. The other two stories are still worth reading, but less fun than the first. For a much better review I recommend reading that of Mark here. He offers a lot more than I could along with interesting background for these stories. For instance, I had no idea these were originally written in 1939 and 1940. I was under the ...more
Timothy Reeder
Heinlein's strength in world-building shines through nicely in this book. The first story "If This Goes On-" shows a world that I could get lost in for many books.
The society that formed in Coventry could yield many fascinating tales.
Unfortunately the one in this book isn't one of them.
The first story is better, but nothing special as a story itself. But I wanted to keep reading to find out the next revelation Heinlein would give about the world.
The finally story in the book, Misfits, is....
Sylvester Kuo
A collection of a novella and 2 short stories. If This Goes On- was a detailed speculation of what theocracy could look like when it is integrated with technology. It was part science fiction and part thriller, the best of the 3 stories. Coventry was a sequel to If This Goes On, focusing on the redemption of an idealistic man in a dystopian future. The Misfit was a sequel to Space Cadet but also the weakest one of them all.

Coventry recently won the Prometheus Hall of Fame award so this is a coll
Gionysius McLeod
Nice little sci-fi romp by one of the Golden Days' masters.
This book indisputably shows Heinlein to be an initiated Freemason. Having just read Magic Flute Unveiled, an analysis of Mozart's opera from a Masonic Symbolism perspective, it was funny to see the very same symbolisms and initiatory rituals repeated here, albeit thinly.

Also, this book deals with such issues as behavioral control through psychological manipulation, even before B.F. Skinner arrived on the scene.
Heinlein was certainly
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Skylark of Space (Skylark #1)
  • The Gun
  • Augustine of Hippo: A Biography
  • Plague from Space
  • The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3)
  • The Howling Stones (Humanx Commonwealth, #16)
  • With Friends Like These...
  • The People: No Different Flesh (The People)
  • Isaac Asimov Presents The Great SF Stories 1: 1939
  • The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants, #1)
  • Eon (The Way, #1)
  • The Escape Orbit
  • Planet of the Damned
  • Deathstroke, Vol. 1: The Professional
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Thicker Than Water
  • Slan (Slan, #1)
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre