Start by marking “Little Bitty Lies” as Want to Read:
Little Bitty Lies

Little Bitty Lies

New York Times bestselling author Mary Kay Andrews delivers another treasure of a comic novel. Little Bitty Lies is a tantalizing tale about an abandoned Atlanta housewife and mother who tells one tiny white lie that sets her world spiraling outrageously out of control. This winning and wonderful romp focuses on about all the important things in life: marriage and divorce, ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Harper Collins (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Little Bitty Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bitty Lies

Start your review of Little Bitty Lies
Dianne
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars-"It Was the Summer From Hell"

Little Bitty Lies by Mary Kay Andrews

This sometimes confusing, sort of depressing, yet at the same time, funny and poignant novel is written by the mystery writer Kathy Trocheck aka Mary Kay Andrews. Moreover, it sure looks like the transition to a slightly different style of mystery combined with female literature seems to have been made successfully! I have not read any of the mystery series but if they are half as good as the writing in this novel, I
Ian
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
After her husband empties their bank accounts and abandons her, Mary Bliss tells a small lie to avoid the humiliation. Desperate and penniless she hatches a plan to fake her husbands death and claim on a life insurance policy. But her lies are coming undone almost as fast as she tells them.

The author leaves so many things in this book unfinished. It's almost as if she got bored with the book and decided to wrap it up half-way through.

The premise is interesting, the characters are likeable and
Karen
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars . Parts I enjoyed but the main character was a push over, she had a horrible daughter and mother in law but catered to them. The best character was her best friend Katherine. The premise of the book sounded so fun but in the end it just didn't work. All the characters commented on how tough and strong Mary Bliss was but I just didn't get behind her as the heroine in the story.
Linda
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
This was a good story. Not quite as lighthearted and funny as some of her other books but a crazy story.
Christopher Hicks
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun quick read, it had several interesting plot twists and a great ending. I’ll definitely read more from this author
Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)
This may sound a little snobbish but as a general rule I don't read novels that have a cartoonish drawing on the cover; I typically take that as a warning sign for being a trashy novel. Please don't ask why I picked it up.

Little Bitty Lies by Mary Kay Andrews centers around Mary Bliss McGowan whose husband has left her and their 17 year old daughter Erin, leaving her only with the kitchen sink. Parker McGowan has run into some business trouble and cleans out all of his family's assets i.e.
Antof9
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
What an odd book! First, I thought it was going to be chick lit, but it wasn't. It more like Chick Limystery. Or something :)

It was very light and fluffy, and some of the characters (Katherine, especially) were over the top. I did like Mary Bliss, though, and her adventures in taking care of herself were both upsetting and entertaining.

I found it odd that some things were very "Southern" (capital S), and other things seemed to miss the boat. For example, the first time Erin used a swear word in
Cathie
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Lori Anaple
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you like chic lit, you will like this. It is a fun rompy ride, nothing too heavy and characters that are relatable while being completely over the top.

Mary Bliss finds out that her husband left her via a note he left in the closet. He cleaned out all of their accounts and remortgaged their house and left her penniless. He did pay up his cantankerous mother's nursing home bill and she does know where he is, but she is not saying.

So, with her best friend and partner in crime, Mary Bliss sets
Cheryl
Sep 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Another Terrible Book Club book. THIS BOOK IS AWFUL. The plot is awful. There are so many holes. The characters are awful. I didn't like any one of them. And there was no connection between any of them. On top of this, I found a lot of the attitudes in the book - which were so prevalent that I think they came directly from the author and were NOT written to intentionally make these characters unlikeable - offensive and infuriating.
Lucas
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ugh, I'm giving this a two because the writing itself wasn't horrible. It was nicely done and there wasn't anything writing wise that you had to stop and wonder what the author meant.
But the plot was not very good at all. If you're into those silly stupid crime romance crazy books then this is the one for you.
The characters were for the most part just flat pieces that moved around a board for the fun of it, they made decisions on something huge without one thought if they could solve this
Alison
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I had been looking forward to this read since I had loved Hissy Fit also written by Andrews. But this book fell very flat in my eyes with some of the most awkward cringe worthy literary moments. In addition to just being an uncomfortable read, I pretty much hated every character this book had to offer. If you weren't spiteful and bratty, you were weak and passive. This book reminded me of the movie Hope Floats, such a great warning of those who want kids as to what can easily be your awful awful ...more
Jennifer Spearman
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Normally, I love Mary Kay Andrews books, but this one just did not keep my interest. I did not like the characters and the plot was just too awkward. I am all for a little exaggeration to have a good story, but I could not side with the main character at all. Certainly, I felt for her, but her choices were ridiculous and immoral. It is hard to get into a story when you do not side with the protagonist.
Randy
Sep 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
much more fun than i'd hoped for. it was different than other chick lit i've read -- in a good way -- and kind of reminded me of Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler. atlanta is as much a character in this book as NYC is in other chick lit. there was a lot I recognize from my own experiences in the South, which was three-parts refreshing and one-part suffocating. speaking of recipes, there's one in the back for Mary Bliss' perfect chicken salad. I'll try it out sometime.
Tasha
This is a funny, light read. Kept me laughing throughout the book. Finished it in one day. MB's best friend Katherine will keep you entertained. I didn't like the attitude of her daughter Erin, but other than that, it was a good read. Definitely would recommend picking it up if you like witty romances.
Lisa Stratton
Aug 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
After reading three other books by this author and really enjoying two of them (Savannah Blues and Spring Fever), I decided to give this one a try. Don't bother picking it up. It's a stupid novel with despicable and unbelievable characters. A real disappointment from Mary Kay Andrews. I'm hoping the chicken salad recipe is a whole lot better than the writing!
Tressa
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed Little Bitty Lies. I was firmly in Mary Bliss's camp and I sincerely wished that good and happy events would happen to her. I was sympathetic to her plight. I also liked Mary Bliss's friends. I did think the ending was abrupt, but I felt that way because I wanted to know what happened next now that everything had settled down. I didn't want the story to end.
Anne
May 27, 2016 added it
I can see why people might like books by this author, but for me this fell very short. It was a combination of very obvious "twists," weird conservative morality, and repetitive plotting. Just not for me, I guess.
Patty
Chick lit all the way. Lots of things in this book wouldn't work for a minute, lots of humor and silly moments. Not her best work, but still enjoyable.
Vi ~ Inkvotary
Little Bitty Lies is a novel you can definitely tell that it was written over ten years ago. The way how Mary Bliss is thinking and acting, her moral and how she lives, tell you everything. And still, she is a gorgeous character. Sometimes I had the feeling that this is more a crime novel than a normal novel. But in the end, it was wonderful entertainment and gave me a great insight into the life and lifestyle of a certain time and area.

Mary Bliss is shocked. Her husbands gone with all the money
Gail
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast and funny read. It is Chick lit with a lot of silly moments.
Cheri
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a crazy plot that you just have to sit back and enjoy the ride. I did enjoy it. Quite a few laughs and a few shakes of my head. On the plus side, I was very satisfied with the ending :)
Vickie
I liked this book after the first 150 pages. Mary Bliss McGowan's husband has not only left her with a huge mortgage repayment but emptied all the financial accounts and disappeared! So, what does Mary Bliss do? Through an elaborate plan with her BFF and neighbor Katherine, MB has Parker McGowen killed in Mexico and then files for the insurance. But wait! There is more...but you'll have to read this to find out what happens to Mary Bliss, her daughter Erin, Katherine and Charlie, and that ...more
Mary Elizabeth
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The novel Little Bitty Lies, by Mary Kay Andrews, tells of a woman named Mary Bliss McGowan. An average suburban mom, Mary Bliss has a perfect life. Unfortunately, it does not last for long. One warm summer’s night there is a letter left in her closet, on a junk mail envelope, saying her husband is gone for good. Her idyllic world shatters. Her husband withdraws all the money from her bank accounts and leaves her broke. The situation, she decides, calls for desperate measures. Mary Bliss and her ...more
Sonja
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
oooohhhh... this is just too bad...
I'm sorry I picked this one for our book club to read...
I was disappointed in the story and the characters!

Mary Bliss, the main character was totally without a clue and it wasn't funny, it was just sad.
Katherine was supposed to be her best friend and gave her some of the worst advise ever and Mary Bliss actually went along with it... I guess insurance fraud was supposed to be funny, but I just didn't get it.
There was nothing 'Little Bitty' about her Lies! I
Lisa
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a good time! This is one of those cozy stories about a small town where everyone knows everyone else and people leave their doors unlocked. Lots of gossipy conversations on the porch, with chicken salad and Diet Coke, sweltering in the heat of a Georgia summer. (Seriously, my addiction to Coca-Cola isn't much of an addiction after reading this book in which characters meet each day for their "morning Coke" at 10:15am! I should move to Georgia.)

Mary Bliss is the name of the protagonist who
Simcyn
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Some reviewers said this book was funny. I must be missing my sense of humor. I found it just plain pitiful and the wife and friend made me cringe due to their poor judgments. Of course there had to be a belligerent teenager... female of course.... because all teenage girls are hard to live with and lash out at their moms continuously.

I couldn't come up with a positive thing to say about the book except that it wasn't that long. I was too lazy to come back into the house while working in the
Tiffany
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was recently introduced to Mary Kay Andrews' books and became an instant admirer of her work. Little Bitty Lies is another exceptional story centered around Mary Bliss McGowan, a wife and mother whose husband disappears under mysterious circumstances. As Mrs. McGowan gets over the shock of his departure she realizes that not only is her husband gone, but he took all of their money with him. That's when she starts telling a web of little lies to help her cope and keep a roof over her daughter's ...more
Marilou
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Classic Mary Kay Andrews. Wife finds out hubby has left her and her teenage daughter...took all the money, etc. She has the conflict of her daughter...being a typical pain the butt for a teenager. How is she to overcome the emotional loss and the financial loss.This is a Southern novel about woman's lifelong quest for home but also about the important things in life: marriage and divorce, mothers and daughters, friendship and betrayal, small-town secrets and the perfect recipe for chicken salad.
Allison
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-10
What a great, fun read! I thought the book started out slow but it picked up! What do you do when your husband packs up and leaves one day and leaves you with only a note? Well Mary Bliss and her friend Katherine came up with a lie that changes everything! They set up a boat crash in Mexico to say that Mary Bliss's husband died on. That way the noisy neighbors can't say anything negative about their marriage. The trouble that these two get in will keep you on your toes and keep you laughing! I ...more

• Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3)
  • Strange Brew (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #6)
  • Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)
  • The Family Jewels (A Callahan Garrity Short Story) (Callahan Garrity Mysteries)
  • Fatal Fruitcake: A Christmas Short Story (Callahan Garrity Mysteries)
  • Killer Fudge (A Callahan Garrity Short Story)
  • Lanterns and Lace (Texas Legacy #2)
  • Lickety-Split (Truman Kicklighter Mystery, #1)
  • Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
  • Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales, #3)
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • The Summer Guests
  • Summer of '69
Mary Kay Andrews is the pen name of American writer Kathy Hogan Trocheck, based in Atlanta, who has authored a number of best-selling books under the Andrews pen name since 2002.

Trochek graduated from the University of Georgia with a journalism degree in 1976. She worked as a reporter at a number of papers, and spent 11 years as a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before leaving to
“Don’t never depend on somebody else to take care of you, sugar. Trust in the Lord, and then you just take care of yourself, and things will work out fine.” 7 likes
“The Silver Palate” 0 likes