Start by marking “You Are Invited” as Want to Read:
You Are Invited

You Are Invited

When Cath receives her invitation to The Event - a monetized retreat for social media influencers - she can't believe her luck. Irene Jobert is the most famous influencer in the world, and now Cath will be one of the five participants chosen to stay with Irene in a renovated Transylvanian monastery.

The catch? Their every move will be live-streamed to millions of people ar
Hardcover
Published July 9th 2020

To ask other readers questions about You Are Invited, please sign up.

Start your review of You Are Invited
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
Finally, I got to read something I could get my teeth into! Five social media influencers are invited to The Event - a social experiment where they spend one month in a remote former monastery in the Carpathian Mountains in Romania while everything is live streamed and viewers can issue challenges to the participants. A bit like Big Brother only more creepy. The participants are lured with the promise of making money as their followers need to pay a subscription to watch the action.

So we have Ca
Dannii Elle
Irene Jobert is one of the most world's famous influencers, with over ten million followers across her social media accounts. It is most people's dream to live her lavish lifestyle and share in her online success. Five, lucky, smaller influencers have been given the chance to do just that, and spend the next few weeks residing alongside her in a renovated Transylvanian monastery with 24/7 streaming for those willing to pay.

You are invited to The Event.

Our eyes into all that occurred belonged to
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Many Thanks to Net Galley, Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op and the author for a chance to read and review this book. All opinions are expressed voluntarily.

#YouAreInvited #NetGalley

I would like to thank Shalini for her irresistible temptation that made me request this book🤣 🤣 🤣.

Transylvania in Romania , the name of the place itself conjures an image of dark nights, Dracula’s and vampires or strigoi as they are called locally, blood dripping from their mouths, the image so macabre that it chil
Max Birner
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun with You Are Invited!

Spooky, dark, claustrophobic (in a good way), and ends with a bang. My favorite "trope" will always be a locked room mystery. And this felt similar to And Then There Were None in tone without ever having a similar plot set up. We have people stuck in this creepy building, constantly live feeding all of their actions, and it's a not very happy family. Lots of drama and toxic relationships lead to the ending we all knew would come at some point....

If there w
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
You Are Invited was one crazy book. It was creepy and tense and I read it in one night. It was an interesting plot and I got caught up in it immediately. There are characters you will love and other story that you will love to hate.

A group of online bloggers are invited to a portly renovated old monastery in Transylvania for an exclusive online event. They are all different in what they blog about and how they do it. It is a party of o promote themselves and the products. The creepy building th
Neha Singh
Creepy, Atmospheric and very well written book, which doesn't shy away from depicting the realism of social media and mental illness!

Five Social Media Influencers have been invited to 'The Event' - A month long retreat to an isolated monastery surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains of Transylvania. These five people are going to be live streamed and will be the focus of millions of people from all over the world. But something is not right here and as Cath digs deeper into this, she and people a
Shalini
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I WAS INVITED TO THE EVENT, and I bloody well freaked out. The atmosphere was eerie and spooky, and the characters saw shadows in every corner. Author Sarah Denzil had nailed the ghost story making a shiver go down my back. Or did someone walk over a grave or two?

5 influences invited to the Event at the Sfântul Mihail, a monetized reality show where they would talk live to their followers among other tasks. Cath was one of them. This was her tale as captured live from the place where the nuns ha
☕️Hélène⚜️
Erin A. Craig
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original and fun! Perfect thunderstorm read!
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook

This is my third book by Sarah A. Denzil and she never disappoints me. I really enjoyed this book. A little slow moving...but the prose...the way it’s written was a pleasure to read and so spooky.

I looked forward to continuing reading the story every time I picked the book up. Such a unique ghost story. The atmosphere is like a character in and of itself and I loved how the author made me feel as though I was there.

Deep driven emotions escapes the written words of anger, hate, kind
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
As someone who loves horror stories involving modern technology, I absolutely loved the premise behind this novel. Furthermore, as someone who uses Patreon and other social media platforms, this book had a lot of personal appeal. I loved the beginning, which painted a very atmospheric scene despite the ultramodern premise. However, as the story progressed, I felt that the narrative lost its way as the story became more about the interpersonal drama than the possible haunting. This horro
malinda
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish they would update this app... My actual rating is 3.5 stars which I rounded up to 4. I've read almost all of Sarah A. Denzil's books and the 2 of 3 that I haven't read, I do own and they are in my TBR list, including her newly released book. This book is definitely very different from all her others, as this is the only book she's written that I suppose is meant to be a' 'Ghost Story'. It's also the only book she's written that even alludes to anything supernatural. I think it's brave of ...more
Kaora
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The premise drew me in right away, and it was very well paced, not dragging , but gradually building suspense to the horrifying conclusion. I was suspecting a ghost story, and while there were paranormal and creepy elements, there is no definite conclusion to whether or not the ghosts exist or if it all exists in the protagonists mind, which I loved. Always love an unreliable narrator!

The characters are really well developed as well, and I really found myself enjo
Emily
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am torn on my rating & review for You Are Invited. I had so much fun reading it, and I absolutely loved the setting for the story. There were some great creepy scenes, and I was invested the entire time I was reading it.

However, I was not thrilled with the mental health representation. It felt like a little bit of a cop-out, and most of the rest of the story was so good. I loved both the dramatic and spooky aspects of this story, but I couldn't get behind the mental health aspect, especially
Heather
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The world of social media to me is daunting and as a blogger just returned from a four year hiatus I can see the blogosphere has changed in those years and some of it I don’t like. Influencers rule the roost and they have the power, sorry the influence to sell millions but at what cost?

You Are Invited caught my eye because reading through the lines of the synopsis it sounded like Big Brother with wolves and vampires in a haunted monastery in Romania. Sold, where do I sign up?

Naturally there is m
Sarah Denzil
Sep 15, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Happy publication day to YOU ARE INVITED. Here is the link to buy the book: http://hyperurl.co/ldpa5z (I'm not sure if this is clickable, you might need to copy and paste).

Why not hop over to Facebook and join me celebrating the release day. I'll be posting some giveaways and stopping to chat and answer questions. I'll be there all day and I'd love to see you. https://www.facebook.com/events/26585...

I hope you enjoy the book. I had such a great time writing it. :)

hannaღ
Cath, a self-publishing fantasy author, is chosen among thousands to join four other "influencers" in a remote former monastery in the Carpathians in Romania for something called "the Event". For four weeks, the five social media celebrities will be streaming everything about their stay in Sfântul Mihail, chatting with paying viewers and increasing their online stardom. But there is a legend about the monastery: it is said to be cursed and soon it seems as if this might not be just a legend at a ...more
Vikki Patis
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah A. Denzil is one of my favourite authors. Her writing is always tight and gripping, with no words wasted. You Are Invited is a creepy, chilling novel that also looks at the lives of influencers, and how we all construct careful personalities to share on social media.

I thought the use of Cath's mental illness was cleverly done, making the point that sometimes we are not the problem. That others can influence us in drastic ways.

A well-written, thrilling novel to keep you up at night.
Callum McLaughlin
Contemporary horror stories are often criticised for failing to reflect modern technology and conveniences (characters being without their phones, acting as though the internet doesn’t exist, and so on). Many authors clearly struggle to reconcile a sense of isolation and fear with the constant connectivity of modern tech, but with You Are Invited, Sarah A. Denzil uses a bold and original setup to prove the two can work in excellent harmony to actually ramp up the tension.

When the story opens, we
Samantha
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In a word: Yikes.

I was excited about this one. A group of people trapped in a supposedly cursed building high in the Carpathians with the shadow of Dracula looming sounded like just my sort of thing.

And it was indeed a good premise. In theory. In practice? What an unholy (literally and figuratively) mess.

I’ll give the author credit for pacing and sense of menace (which were excellent), as well as for actually coming up with a decent plot for a mystery/horror novel involving influencers, which i
Crystal Hiatt
Does a building become malevolent because of the terrible crimes committed there? Or was tthe malevolence there to begin with? Does the energy remain? Or do we project our fears onto that building through rumours and curses?

Gothic meets Modern when past and present collide in this chilling tale.
Set in the remote Carpathian Mountains of Romania, five social media celebrities will be streaming everything about their stay in partially renovated monastery, Sfântul Mihail. For four weeks, they wil
Irene
I was really intrigued by the premise of a retreat for social media influencers and the setting in a monastery in Transylvania sounded eerily perfect but at 16% in I'm just not scared, and am starting to lose interest. It's just not for me. DNF at 16% ...more
Jeanine
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction, arc
Outstanding story, some really creepy moments.

I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for my review.
Elena Linville
Stars 2. 5 out of 5

I like a good ghost story from time to time and nothing is more prone to haunting than an old monastery hidden in the mountains, especially when the snow cuts it off from the rest of the world…

This had all the ingredients to be an excellent ghost story that would keep me up at night first rushing to finish it, then being scared by imaginary sounds I hear in my own home. But unfortunately, it wasn’t so.

There are three ingredients for a good ghost story: 1) the characters, 2) th
theindianreadingduo
Book - You Are Invited
Author - Sarah Denzil

📍NOT PUBLISHED YET

📌Cath Fenwivk receives an offer to join "The event" - a monetised retreat for social media influencers in Transylvania,Romania by Irene Jobert, the famous bellwether in the world!
Cath is ecstatic to be one of the chosen participant as there were going to be handful of them!

📌Alexandrou,the driver in their journey gives her an idea of the place nestled halfway up in the Carpathian mountains is haunted monastery rather nunnery to specify!
Anne
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars. First things first: the 'A Ghost Story' part of the title could've been left out. It's distracting and possibly misleading. It removed some of the tension of what on earth is going on. No need to suspect anything or anyone else, because it's a ghost, right? Right?!

That being said, the first 60% was worth 4 stars to me. It was a page-turner and I wanted to find out, indeed, what on earth was going on! (apart from the 'ghost story'. Around 70%, closer and closer to the revelation, things
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
3.5
I thought it was a great setup. It had an interesting point about the relationship online creators have to their viewers and how that relationship is perceived. The intimacy that makes people think they are entitled to people. I have complicated feelings about the ending but appreciated the authors note at the end
Alexandra Lucia Brînaru
(Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a review copy of this book!)

I must first mention that I requested this book merely out of curiosity, seeing as it referenced Romania and, being a Romanian myself, I was very keen on seeing how we as a country, or rather our mythology, would play a part in this story. On this front, it lacked a whole lot for me and I found that the author only "used" the Romanian setting as a plot device, as sort of a way to easily create a plot twist.
There is no actu
buzy_reading
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
You Are Invited is a ghost story about five characters living in a haunted monastery where they are live-streaming for millions of viewers. Cath having fewer followers than the others doesn’t understand why she was invited. After all she is a writer not a social media sensationalist.
During the night of her arrival a Dracula Event is taking place giving a dark ominous setting to this ghostly legend. The legend of cursed nuns in this monastery draws tourists from all over the world. Not that long
Lainy
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages - 257

Publisher -

Source - Netgalley and bought a hardback copy

Blurb from Goodreads

The catch? Their every move will be live-streamed to millions of people around the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The House of a Hundred Whispers
  • Haunted: Purgatory
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks, #1)
  • It Will Just Be Us
  • What We Forgot to Bury
  • Haunted: Devil's Door
  • The Haunting of Hardlocke House
  • A Ghost Arrives: A Novel
  • Haunted: Perron Manor
  • Haunted
  • She Was the Quiet One
  • The Haunting of Nelson Street (The Ghosts of Crowford Book 1)
  • Nevertheless, She Persisted: Flash Fiction Project
  • A Short, Sharp Shock
  • The Planet on the Table
  • The Portrait of Sister Elsa (The Ghosts of Crowford Book 4)
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • The House Guest
Sarah A. Denzil is a Wall Street Journal bestselling suspense writer. She is also known as young adult author Sarah Dalton.

Sarah lives in Yorkshire with her partner, enjoying the scenic countryside and rather unpredictable weather.

She is the author of international bestselling psychological thriller SILENT CHILD, which topped the bestseller lists on Amazon in the US, UK and Australia.

You can rea