Start by marking “Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)” as Want to Read:
Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)

Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress #4)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  71,021 Ratings  ·  2,488 Reviews
Her deadly dreams leave her in grave danger

Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they've fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it's time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She's hav
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Avon (first published July 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Destined for an Early Grave, please sign up.
Heather While it is a good book it does contain violence, strong language, and sex. So if the reader is eawily offended or dislikes those items in a novel…moreWhile it is a good book it does contain violence, strong language, and sex. So if the reader is eawily offended or dislikes those items in a novel then I would steer clear. That being said this is a great uf/paranormal series.(less)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Marital Problems Stars

First read 2/23/2014 Reread 11/22/2015

"Let's see how long someone lasts if they suggest that my wife is not my wife."-Bones

photo 3120027_zpsu12mo8mg.gif

"Bloody sneaking bastard," Bones ground out, even as my jaw dropped. "I'll congratulate him on his cleverness - while I'm ripping silver through his heart."-Bones

*Spoiler Below*

My heart OMG my heart. Destined For An Early Grave, the 4th book in the Night Huntress Series, was a nail biting, angsty read! The drama is so high in this book my stomach t
Kristen
Solid 4 Stars

I enjoyed this book much more than the last one. The writing was fantastic, the dialogue engaging, the romance prominent, and the witty one liners never fail to put a smile on my face. But the best part was Cat finally, FINALLY putting Tate in his place. It was about time!
 photo FECACD70-C0F2-40D8-8DA9-72909692CA1B.gif
Shawna
5+ stars – Vampire Romance/Urban Fantasy

Considering this is one of my top preferred PNR series, that Cat and Bones are my favorite kick-ass romance couple, that Bones is my #1 all-time beloved bad boy vampire hero, and that I LOVED the previous three books, especially my favorite One Foot in the Grave; my expectations for Destined for an Early Grave were incredibly high. After all, it’s Jeaniene Frost, who writes some of the snarkiest, funniest, and most entertaining dialogue that I’ve had the j
Sophia Triad
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghouls, ghosts, vampires, magic
Cat, Bones and ... Gregor (aargh!!!)

This is the book where Cat and Bones are crazily in love and married and spend a few lazy days in Paris.

And suddenly hell breaks loose.

Cat starts having dreams that are nightmares or memories. Someone or something tries to snatch her away while she dreams. And Mencheres will have a confession to make about Cat's teenagehood, when she was young and clueless and she followed a certain someone to Paris. And how him, the powerful Mencheres made Cat forgot and Gre
Helen 2.0
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
So much drama and heartbreak this time around!

In book 4/7 of the Night Huntress series, Cat is pursued by an egotistical asshole vampire - in her dreams. Gregor is a dreamsnatcher, meaning he can transport people to his side while they are sleeping. He goes after Cat, who he claims is his wife. Another full-out vampire war breaks out - haven't we been here before? Makes me wonder how anyone under Bones' line has survived since Cat showed up.

I had lots of fun reading this; like I said, it was dr
Jilly
where was a festering yeast infection when I needed one?

Gosh girls, how many times have we all had this thought? If I had a nickel for every time I thought this, I would have.... well, considering I'm thinking about it now... a nickel. Okay, not really going to buy mama some new shoes, but still, it made me laugh.

Cat makes me laugh a lot, which is one of the things I love about this series. But, sheesh, the angst in this book!!!

Tell me about it, kid. It was brutal.

You know those couples that
Summer
I feel like this book didn't quite have the same magic to me as the first three. However, I liked the first three a lot more after reading them a second time so I might feel different about this one too if I read it again.
On the bad side, Bones and Cat fight a lot in this book. Maybe it's just me, but it felt really off. They butt heads and had a few fights in the first three books but not on the same level as this book. I think it's more that instead of their fights escalating throughout the bo
Auntee
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, fans of JR Ward's BDB
I was a little concerned before starting this one, since after reading the third book in the series it looked like Jeaniene Frost was heading down the Urban Fantasy/minimal romance path, but turns out my worries were unfounded--the romance is back! Although it's a sometimes rocky road that Cat and Bones must follow, with lots of obstacles that test their love, and jealousies and insecurities they have to deal with, they clearly have an enduring love that I feel will stand the test of time. And w ...more
Katie(babs)
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I had finished At Grave’s End, the third book in Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series, I was on the fence whether I wanted to go ahead and read Destined For An Early Grave. If you read my review for At Grave’s End, you know I was less than pleased. I was upset with my reaction because Cat and Bones are one of my favorite literary duos from this decade. And to think that I could turn my back on them because one book in a series I loved failed to deliver. It may be silly and pathetic to som ...more
Naomi 🐨
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series!!! ❤ ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Now I know why this series is so massively popular!

I have a bit of a confession to make before I talk about this book. First off, I wasn’t too keen on the Night Huntress thing when I started the series earlier this year. In fact, I hated Cat and her beliefs about vampires and wasn’t that enamoured by Bones in the previous three books. That being said, I was skeptical going into this book because I was hoping and praying that this one would capture my attention. Going into this, my favourite book
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
4.5

“Slumber party with Dracula, all things considered why not?”

And this is where the series finally stakes a deeper claim in me and starts improving. Other friends seemed to salivate over this series from the start but I found too much annoyed me to fall head over heels with it. With this fourth book it fares better - the things that annoyed me before aren't there anymore and the characters are driving the story without too many distracting sex scenes.

The biggest game changer is that Cat no lo
Emily May
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal-uf, pnr, 2011

A lot of the time when I'm coming towards the end of a book, I start to think about what I want to say in my goodreads review and with this Night Huntress novel the first word that came to mind was 'rollercoaster'. I then skimmed other reviews and found I was far from the only one.

When I first read the plot description before beginning, I was unsure about the story. Books 1 and 2 had been more sex/relationship focused rather than putting emphasis on the story behind it and though this didn't st
Gavin
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This fourth instalment of the Night Huntress series was a bit of a mixed bag. It was still a fast paced and engaging read with the same blend of action, romance, humor, mystery that we have grown to expect from the series. It even had plenty of shock twists and turns that kept things quite intense, but was also riddled with a few annoying flaws. Some of Bones and Cat's behaviour was infuriating and it felt like Frost had dipped into the well once too often with some of her story arcs.

Cat and Bo
Catherine
Deborah Obida
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance, adult
A bit confused about how to rate this, Might upgrade it to 5 stars someday. I'm super glad to continue this series and to find that I still love it, was a bit scared I won't.

The plot is as amazing as always, and its Cat's crazy ex that is in the way of their relationship. The whole team is still present in this part, (view spoiler). The writing style is astounding and fast paced.

A
Kat Kennedy
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm not entirely sure why I read this entire series. Certainly the writing sometimes left something to be desired and eventually the plot became so ridiculously beaten, abused and tormented that I briefly considered starting a home for it and marketing telethons help others like it.

I think the only thing that saved this ENTIRE series for me was the relationship between Bones and Cat. Passionate, loving, flawed, sometimes almost breakable, realistic. I don't know and since I had to turn my brain
Lonna | FLYLēF
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
What's the best part of fighting? Making up, of course! When Cat and Bones head to Paris for a holiday, a vampire named Gregor, who has romantic ties to Cat's past, has something very different planned. Another great installment!
MischaS_
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! May I ask for more of Vlad and Ian?? All the time I thought that something is wrong with the vow between Cat and G. this book was clever!
Yup, and something about Marie! :D
Kristin Cast
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel ripped out my heart and had me gasping with surprise. Can't wait to read what Cat and Bones are up to next.
Didi
This series is fantastic! I'm hurdling towards the end, gaining on the seventh book that ends this series and ends my voyeuristic adventures with Bones and Cat. Those two sure got a beating this time around! This book was definitely more angsty than the previous ones. Bones and Cat suffered through some seriously turbulent times, even separating for a while that left me bereft and empty. I had to sneak a peak farther into the book to appease my heartbreak--I don't like to cheat, but I honestly n ...more
Rane
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cat and her undead vampire lover Bones are taking an long overdue holiday, to finally get away from the fighting and trouble that has filled their lives of late, that is until Cat starts to dream of a vampire whom wants her and will do anything to have her!

Jeaniene Frost strikes another out of the ballpark with Destined for an Early Grave, thinking by now her books would be somewhat lagging or dragging by now, not with Frost they don’t! This books pick up a few weeks later after At Grave’s En
Brenna
A different vibe for this series, but it totally worked for me! I loved it!

Destined for an Early Grave took a (slight) step away from action packed fight scenes galore and a step toward dealing with some much deeper issues. The book starts off with Cat and Bones getting some much needed R&R. Trouble soon presents itself when Master vampire, Gregor aka "the Dreamsnatcher" starts inhabiting Cat's dreams and threatens to literally snatch her from Bones. (view spoiler)
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Contrary to other readers of this book, this was my favorite out of the whole Night Huntress series! I loved every minute of it from start to finish and I was cursing myself when I finished it because it was over.
One of my favorite things about the whole book was that, for the first time, Bones had a little “competition” for Cat. Throughout their relationship to date, Cat had nothing compared to the history that Bones had and I found it rather entertaining that he felt so threatened by Gregor.
O
Julie (jjmachshev)
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
Cat and Bones are back in book four of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. In "Destined for an Early Grave" the two lovers will face their greatest fears and find out just how strong their bond, and their love, can be. This is an action-packed romp with secrets revealed from the past and ends with a new twist on the future. If you're a Cat and Bones fan, you will want to drop everything and RUN to get this one.

Cat and Bones are ready to enjoy a leisurely honeymoon filled with sex and well, m
Catarina
4 Fighting Stars.

In this fourth book Cat and Bones are facing the most personal battle of their lives: their love.
A powerful vampire that has been locked for the past twelve years believes Cat is his and will do everything in his power (and he has a lot!) to get her.
Bones will also do everything to keep her, and Cat will fight for their love either, but when secrets for the past are revealed putting everything they used to believe and their own feelings at stake, in the end probably won’t be
The Flooze
The freakish villain, the raw emotions, the tense ending, and the inclusion of my favorite character, Vlad, made this one an interesting enough read. But I had many problems with it along the way.

You know that couple who love each other overwhelmingly, but are just so volatile together, you think they'd be better apart? Because you're sure one day they'll love each other to death?

Cat and Bones become that couple.

I was sure they'd murder each other before the threat was resolved. The lesson of
Lady Heather
WOW! awesome! loved how the author developed Cat's character as well as Bones, Mencheres, and Vlad. I can't wait to see what Cat's next adventure is...this is absolutely one of my most favorite series!
Rhea_sways
Well, this books definitely took a turn to show a different angle or twist between Bones and Cat's relationship.
I am sure it showed a more realistic point of view but I sure did miss the humour and their passion.

It felt a bit dry to me at certain point within the story. Nonetheless I still enjoyed the book.

1. VLAD
2. VLAD
3. vlad..

I know he is a secondary character but he made a lasting impression in my head..
I want more from him but I have heard his Night huntress books aren't as impressive

Al
Alex is The Romance Fox
Destined for an Early Grave is the 4th installment of the Night Huntress series and are emotions running high in the vampire world!!! And for me too….Cat & Bones are back…yay yay yay….
 photo 7575231_f520_zpsa0dbaca1.jpg
Cat and Bones are off to Paris for a well-earned vacation but something is happening to her that is totally freaking her out. Nightmares of being chased by a vampire that she doesn’t remember but knows that she knows him somehow.
Cat doesn't remember Gregor at all because Bones, grandsire Mencheres was able t
  • Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2)
  • Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4)
  • Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3)
  • Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #3; Demonica, #8)
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, the Broken Destiny series, and the upcoming Night Rebel series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in Florida with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps i ...more
More about Jeaniene Frost

Night Huntress (7 books)
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
  • Up from the Grave (Night Huntress, #7)
“Then you remember the dream,” Mencheres stated. “That bodes ill.”

The fear of that made my reply snappy. “Hey, Walks Like An Egyptian, how about for once you drop the formal stuff and talk like you live in the twenty-first century?”

The shit’s gonna splatter, start buggin’, yo,” Mencheres responded instantly.

I stared at him, then burst out laughing, which was highly inappropriate considering the very grave warning he’d just conveyed.”
671 likes
“He f**ks even better than he looks”, I settled on saying. Several heads turned. I didn’t care; I was pissed. “And that beautiful face is going to be clamped between my legs as soon as we get home, don’t you worry.” 646 likes