Start by marking “Seven Nights at the Flamingo Hotel” as Want to Read:
Seven Nights at the Flamingo Hotel

Seven Nights at the Flamingo Hotel

You could have been someone, you could have been a contender, yet instead you ended up here, a dishwasher at the Flamingo Hotel. From the death of your mother, to homelessness, to insanity, and back again, to an encounter with an American serial killer, a lover affair with a performance artist, to the loss of your foreskin, to living in a shed, and certain bum operations, ...more
Published November 2020 by Bearded Badger Publishing

Start your review of Seven Nights at the Flamingo Hotel
Jessica
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Seven Nights at the Flamingo Hotel is a stunning, hilarious, witty - and sometimes deeply sad - novel, which takes the reader on a profound journey.

You are a dishwasher at the Flamingo hotel.

Most of your life has been miserable.

But you are optimistic.

You seek opportunities to demonstrate your capabilities.

However, you rarely find them.

Instead, what should be the best moments of your life often turn into your worst.

You find yourself jealous of others, mourning what should have been yours.
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Funny but very weird. If you have a bum fetish then you’ll absolutely love this book.
Jamie Mollart
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely bonkers in the best possible way. I’ve laughed out loud a lot. I can’t remember the last time a book did that to me.

Like Bukowski meets On The Buses meets Iain Banks.

To talk about a plot misses the point to be honest, because this is all about the tangents it takes.

Written in the second person, you take the role of a dishwasher at the Flamingo Hotel, as you spend 7 nights working/drinking/shagging/remembering/fantasising.

Mr Gummerson has the most incredible mind. As a wri
Ellie Hawkes
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The most obvious stylistic feature of this book is of course the second person “you” point of view. I’ve read quite a few short stories which use this voice, but not many novels – Jay McInerney’s Bright Lights, Big City is the only one that comes readily to my mind. It’s a tricky voice, and one that has the potential to sound gimmicky, but Gummerson absolutely smashes it: the direct address, the sense of complicity, the capacity for alternating between effrontery and empathy, all add so much to ...more
Elsie
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS IF... you like second person and non-linear narration, dark humour, and stories with a wide and varied cast of characters.

THE STORY... is of a nameless dishwasher at the Flamingo Hotel. He’s encountered numerous hardships, but all he wants is to find someone worse off than himself.

I... can confidently say that this book will be unlike anything you’ve read this year. Often crude, frequently morbid, but always funny, Flamingo Hotel was a joy to read.

The second person narration really fit
David Gladwin
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
You. That’s how Fighting Fantasy type gamebooks would address their readers, immersed in the precursors of invertual reality. Well, here you are. You’re fighting fantasy, and no mistake.

Trouble is, the fantasy seems like most people’s reality, and the fighting takes place when you aim to cross the divide between your world and theirs. You try out anything, in desperation. To fit in, to be normal. Even though you are more normal than you know. You are all of us. Everyone who might one day wind up
Ross Lowe
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Seven Nights just isn't long enough – I could have happily wallowed for at least a fortnight in the grubby environs of the Flamingo Hotel.
Fizzily paced from the outset, it's a tale of oddbods and total sods, of a central character who could well have been the adult incarnation of Adrian Mole if only Sue Townsend's hero had learnt how to communicate in Morse Code by flashing his bum.

Drew Gummerson is a writer every bit as sharp and observant as his much-missed fellow Leicesterian, and his abilit
Andy Hollyhead
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A very funny, if slightly surreal read at times. Will tug at your emotions and make you feel for the protagonist.
Ewan
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I read Drew Gummerson’s earlier novel, Me and Mickey James some time ago. Therefore I was very excited when I found out through ABCTales that a new novel was imminent. I read some excerpts of an early draft and was sufficiently impressed to pre-order Seven Nights at the Flamingo Hotel direct from Bearded Badger Publishing.

How glad I am that I did. With a daring use of a second person narrative and its breathtakingly, scatalogically funny – not to say Rabelaisian – account of 7 days doing a terri
John McCrea
Jan 22, 2021 rated it liked it
Full review published at: https://talesfromabsurdia.com/book-reviews/review-seven-nights-at-the-flamingo-hotel/

__________

Leave any assumptions about Seven Nights at the Flamingo Hotel firmly in the foyer.

No, really.

Bearded Badger Publishing's debut publication is hilarious, tragic, and downright bizarre - all at the same time.

And for the most part, it works. I can't remember the last time I laughed, cocked an eyebrow, and experienced such solemnity within a single page or two.

Author Drew Gumme
Feb 16, 2021

• Nightshift
  • The Turn of the Screw
  • Home Stretch
  • Checkpoint: How video games power up minds, kick ass, and save lives
  • Black Wave
  • Panenka
  • You Will Have a Black Labrador
  • Lost Girls: Short Stories
  • Stone Mothers
  • The Truth (Discworld, #25; Industrial Revolution, #2)

News & Interviews