Start by marking “Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life” as Want to Read:
Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life

Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  16,864 ratings  ·  1,656 reviews
The sequel to 12 Rules for Life offers further guidance on the periolus path of modern life.

In 12 Rules for Life, clinical psychologist and celebrated professor at Harvard and the University of Toronto Dr. Jordan B. Peterson helped millions of readers impose order on the chaos of their lives. Now, in this bold sequel, Peterson delivers twelve more lifesaving principles f
Published March 2nd 2021 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Order, please sign up.
Laura There are also a lot of people who just don't like JP and are giving it one star reviews out of spite. Because that's a mature thing to do of course. …moreThere are also a lot of people who just don't like JP and are giving it one star reviews out of spite. Because that's a mature thing to do of course. (less)
Dan yes

One book is about dealing with too much order (this book)
the other is about dealing with too much chaos (the the other book)

The concept being th…more

One book is about dealing with too much order (this book)
the other is about dealing with too much chaos (the the other book)

The concept being that one should try to not have too much of either.(less)

·  16,864 ratings  ·  1,656 reviews

Start your review of Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life
Sean
Dec 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: right-wing-bs
How is this grifter still a thing? Seriously? I'd really hoped Jordan Peterson's weird and cultish lobsterpeople army would disband and stop spamming their guru all over the place when he turned himself into a vegetable. It appears, unfortunately, this isn't what's going to happen. Jordan Peterson, regaining the use of his motor skills after his drug addictions left him in a coma, is back to give you more life advice!

Taking self-help advice from Jordan Peterson at this point is like taking diet
Tom
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow, some of the things I read about JP are so full of bitterness and vitriol it’s weird. He’s a hypocrite and a drug taker selling basic advice so should be strung up? The pomposity makes me cringe. I for one enjoy listening to him and quite enjoyed his last book. The advice he gives clearly isn’t for everyone, after all we know that self entitlement and victim mentality reigns supreme nowadays so having a white, conservative man talking in a way that might remind people of strict school teache ...more
Joe
Mar 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Reading these reviews, I am struck by the idea that people tend to rate the man rather than the work. As a wise man once told me about reviews, ignore the best ones as well as the worst ones. Those people often have an agenda that is clearly influencing their opinion.

Now then, to the matter at hand. Let me begin by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the original 12 rules book. It helped me a great deal, and I enjoyed the message of personal responsibility. I work as a psychologist, and many of my clie
Brian Sachetta
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I want to start this review by saying that if you’ve never read any of Jordan Peterson’s work, then you may want to proceed cautiously with this one. That’s not to say it’s bad by any means; as you can tell by my high rating of it, that’s clearly not the case. It’s just to say that Peterson’s writing style is very distinct and not necessarily for everyone.

To elaborate on that a bit more, I would classify the writing style as a combination of scholarly, dense, profound, and allusional. As was the
Rodrigo
Nov 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Somehow worse than "12 Rules for Life".

Edit:

description

A broken clock etc.
Tara Brabazon
Mar 06, 2021 rated it did not like it
I am 52. I have three degrees, two graduate diplomas, three masters degrees, and a PhD. I am currently enrolled in a 4th masters. I have written 20 books and over 200 refereed articles. I have presented this information so that the review that follows has context.

This is the worst book I have ever read. I have read tens of thousands of academic books. This is as dreadful as any self published book I have ever read. I have found out about Jordan Peterson's father in law. I found out how he mis-ma
Teri
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I just finished. It was amazing. I'm percolating on my final review and will post soon.

Old updates:

Just finished Rule 4. It was what I needed to hear today. Also, I love the illustrations that accompany each chapter. I restrain myself from peeking ahead and only look at the illustration for each chapter as I get to it, so I am really savoring them.

Just finished Rule 2 and, wow, I am motivated to be the hero of my own story. I love how in his first book, he ended each chapter with such power and
Marcás
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beyond Order shows JBP as more of a social creature, calling for an affirmative attitude towards conserving culture and creatively transforming it. This balanced account, which draws upon his work with individuals in a clinical setting, corrects some of the extremist errors in Freud and Rousseau and undercuts our crude 'expressive individualism'. Peterson punches holes in our social imaginary by drawing upon a variety of fields, centring on his deep and time-tested work as a psychologist.
Peterso
Michael
Mar 01, 2021 rated it did not like it
If you support things like LGBT rights and do not like far-right propaganda then you are definitely not going to want to read this book. It's the sequel to 12 Rules for Life, written by the guy who no one cared about until he started building a brand for himself as the Rosa Parks of refusing to use trans people's preferred pronouns or whatever. I was so eager to let people know my opinions about this book that I waited until March 1st so I could go on Amazon Japan and click the button that says ...more
Tom Barmaryam
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ordering your Life shall encompass pre-ordering my book which is, Beyond Order.

Have you cleaned up your room which is Beyond Order?

Have you tried Ordering what is Beyond Order? If not you are way Beyond disorder...

JPB
James Harling
Mar 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Nassim Nicholas Taleb, no fan of Peterson, said that "the test of originality for an idea is not the absence of one single predecessor, but the presence of multiple but incompatible ones". If 10 people say your book is unoriginal for the SAME reason, it's probably unoriginal. But if 10 people say your book is unoriginal for 10 DIFFERENT REASONS, you almost certainly have something original.

Jordan Peterson's critics accuse him of being a "crypto-fascist"* who practices a "toxic form of identity p
Bob Lewis
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When I read and reviewed the first 12 Rules for Life book, I described it as a sort of self-help book for people who don't like self-help books. Present was the distillation of common sensical (but often unarticulated) ideas, but absent were the trite catch phrases and easy fixes that plague much of the genre. I'm pleased to report that the same can be said of this second volume.

While this is ostensibly a self-help book that distills important psychological ideas into a dozen simple "rules" for
Beni Vitai
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Check out the original post on my blog: https://certaintyprinciple.co.uk/inde...

Didn't expect it, but this was really good. Challenged me a lot. I'm more liberal in temperament (at least for now), and I tend to struggle with conservative types, and am often quite quick to criticise organisations (especially my religious community) - I'm always ready to make changes, but without inheriting traditions. This taught me to actively seek perspectives different to my own and learn from those who value
The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha
I'm a huge Peterson fan (and this new book does not disappoint), but perhaps I should clarify one very small point.

In Rule 8 he describes a painting called "The Immaculate Conception" (by Guido Reni) at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. But he calls it "The Immaculate Conception of Mary."

Perhaps he was trying to clarify a common misunderstanding. People often think that the Immaculate Conception refers to the virginal conception of Jesus. But it actually refers to the conception of Ma
Tommy Anansi
Mar 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
As someone who has also tried to write a book whilst being addicted to benzodiazepines, I at least had the good sense to realise no one wanted to read my incoherent garbage ramblings. Mine also did not have astrology influenced pseudo science to justify sexist and racist attitudes-so it automatically would make it much better self-help than whatever perverse abomination this will end up being.

Look, the first one was called quite definitively: 12 Rules for Life. It set out quite clearly, that th
AttackGirl
Shelves: 2021
I knew you could do it

Once again I am very pleased with the display and offering from a well read thinking man.

More later after I have time to absorb all. When will Jordon start his organization as suggested. Move up based on reading and mentoring other men, participating.... Come on Jordan.

Second Early Morning Reading
Well Jordan I made notes on this reading, and will write them without narrative but just blunt comments. I am sure you will know where in the book I am referring as will others wit
Rory Saunders
Mar 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
The big daddy of internet controversy has a new book and it's okay.

Firstly I'd like to clarify my views on the author as he's such a polarizing figure. I'm a fan of Jordan Peterson's self-betterment advice, particularly when it comes to psychology, philosophy, and responsibility. I think his advice on nutrition and his forays into politics are ill advised or even absurd.

I don't think he's a horrible transphobe or misogynist, and I don't think he deserves the flak he gets from left wing media.
Ragnar
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved and enjoyed every bit of this book!

Thank you Mr. Peterson. ❤️❤️

I cannot put into words the profound impact you had and still have on my life, because of you, i took responsibility for my own life, started moving, trying to make the world a better place, by just being a little bit kinder, compassionate and understanding, ( first towards my own Self ) you made me see and understand that despite the suffering we see, despite the ugliness and injustices that we see, we as individuals and as a
Ratnah Tanakoor
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my most personal review, yet. Maybe it is not even a review. This is the translation of my inner conversation, wrapped by thoughts and feelings, into words. In fact, prior starting this review of Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life by Dr. Jordan B. Peterson, I went to look for my preceding note on 12 Rules For Life: An Antidote to Chaos which he published a few years back. I startled myself to find that exactly a year ago and a little more precisely, around the same dates of la ...more
Catherine⁷
I cannot fully solidify how and why all of the intimate parts of my life feel so drawn to this book but I connected so deeply to this second addition of Peterson's 12 Rules For Life. This one spoke to me even more personally than the first edition. His first book highlights how too much chaos can be unproductive for our personal growth. This book puts chaos in a different light and emphasizes how it is an essential part of our individual progression if handled properly.
I've never particularly "l
jt
Apr 14, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worse than I expected. Says so little with so many words, and each "rule" is just another opportunity to spout the same spiel. ...more
Ed Cunningham
Mar 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Not going to write much about this because people in the Goodreads comment section get far too political and I’ll save them the upset.

The book was good, some parts not so, but the good outweighs the bad 4/1.

Full review on A Need To Read Monday 15th March
Lisa
Apr 10, 2021 rated it liked it
I like what he says about speaking the truth and being grateful and his whole chapter on relationships is really helpful. But as an Orthodox Christian I find his metaphysical ideas to be quite clumsy. I also think he leans more towards masculine toughness for no good reason except his own particularities. He talks a lot about us needing to be tough and taking on burdens, but talks very little about the dangers of unnecessary over-exposure to a world that's incredibly dangerous and evil, and that ...more
Jacob Hackett
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
For reasons that are beyond me, Peterson is often branded as a hard right-winger by those who disagree with his views. After reading both of his 12-Rules books and hours of his online lecture series' it is clear that people have been misguided by false information about him.

As a self proclaimed classical liberal, Peterson offers a case for both brands of political thinking here in beyond order chapter XI "conservatives are necessary for maintaining things the way they are when everything is wor
Branko Nikovski
Jul 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
A Robin Sharma's book edited with a thesaurus. And of course.... a PhD vanity.

The first star is for my optimism to give him another shot after the first ''great'' book.
The second star is for my persistence to read it and finish it in 6 hours.

The lack of the other three stars is because reading his two books, I consider him a pseudo-Jungian trying to be a metasocialogist through Hollywood movies/cartoons as archetypes and Marxism as the arch enemy of these archetypes.
Adding some Bible stories an
Scott
Mar 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
Fantastic book again from Dr. Peterson. Definitely as good as the first, the lessons in the sequel being all the more poignant knowing the obstacles he and his family have faced the passed couple years. Cannot recommend this book more for anyone who is actively trying to improve their life and also for those who just need some extra self reflection. Like the first book, the rules themselves are simple and common sense, but that is exactly the wisdom the world needs now.
Alex Whigham
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book. Jordan Peterson does an excellent job at fully articulating and conveying deep and complex archetypal themes, drawing on timeless story’s to illustrate the underlying structure of reality from which meaning manifests itself. Also includes one of the the most descriptive and understandable conceptualisations of what ideology is and how it maps onto religious structures that I’ve come across.
Emma Sea
Mar 29, 2022 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pn-library
What a grind to get through :(
Julian Borrowdale
Mar 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
Don't waste your time with this unless you want to be told to stand up straight like a lobster to increase your serotonin, make your bed everyday (military corners are a bonus), and get rid of your substandard friends. If you are an undisciplined twenty someting young republican/YAL Jungian that is lost and don't know what to do with your life, love Doestoyevsky, hate feminism, postmodernism, communism and multiculturalism, won't use trans peep pronouns and have lost your metaphorical substrate ...more
Donna Craig
May 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly the high-quality, deep-thinking work I expect from Dr. Peterson. I wish I had had his guidance when I was younger. Still, I find it incredibly inspiring and hopeful. He continues to express that hard work and integrity are worthwhile. I love his optimism.

This book is 12 More Rules for Life, and as such it is divided into 12 sections. He begins and ends each section by reciting the rule, then he goes on to explain it and fill out the meaning of and reasons for it.

I did the

• Космобиолухи (Космоолухи #1)
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • La democrazia come violenza
  • The Constitution of the Lacedaemonians
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • Boyfriend Material (London Calling, #1)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
  • The Myth of Sisyphus
  • The Prophet
  • Alexander Hamilton
  • The Lottery
  • World Order
  • The Power of Positive Thinking
  • Phaedo
  • Debt: The First 5,000 Years
  • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
  • Flights
  • A Grief Observed
See top shelves…
Jordan B. Peterson is a Canadian clinical psychologist, self-help writer, cultural critic and professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. His main areas of study are in abnormal, social, and personality psychology, with a particular interest in the psychology of religious and ideological belief, and the assessment and improvement of personality and performance.

Peterson grew up in Fairvie

Articles featuring this book

“That which you most need to find will be found where you least wish to look.” 26 likes
“We outsource the problem of sanity. People remain mentally healthy not merely because of the integrity of their own minds, but because they are constantly being reminded how to think, act, and speak by those around them.” 22 likes