Start by marking “Embroideries” as Want to Read:
Embroideries

Embroideries

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  19,458 ratings  ·  1,733 reviews
From the bestselling author of Persepolis comes this humorous and enlightening look at the sex lives of Iranian women. Embroideries gathers together Marjane's tough-talking grandmother, stoic mother, glamorous and eccentric aunt and their friends and neighbours for an afternoon of tea-drinking and talk. Naturally, the subject turns to loves, sex and vagaries of men...
Published September 3rd 2008 by Jonathan Cape (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Embroideries, please sign up.
Cecilie Jøhnk I don't think they are based on statistics and surveys. They are based on what Marjane Sartrapi knows; so if fictional, then just to protect the actua…moreI don't think they are based on statistics and surveys. They are based on what Marjane Sartrapi knows; so if fictional, then just to protect the actual women, or like many docu-fiction books, mixing stories to drive home a point.
Like with "Nellie" in Laura Ingall's account, who did exist, but as three separate girls/young women.(less)

·  19,458 ratings  ·  1,733 reviews

Start your review of Embroideries
Nat
Family gossip is my Achilles' heel. I live for those moments when my mother and I get to discuss old memories of hers and mine.
So this graphic novel fit right like a glove.

Embroideries starts out with Marjane Satrapi and her family and friends sitting down with their drinks to devote themselves to their favorite activity: discussion.

description

There was talk of marriage, love, unfeasible men, sex, double standards, body image... simply put, Embroideries included everything I love discussing with my fam
Pramod Nair
"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul." – a dictum from Marjane Satrapi’s grandmother.

Reading ‘Embroideries’ from Marjane Satrapi was like reading some missing pages from ‘Persepolis’, her renowned autobiographical series. In ‘Persepolis’ she gave much insights to the reader about the social and political life of Iran during her childhood, but through ‘Embroideries‘ Satrapi manages to illustrate the closed personal world of Iranian women in an amusing manner.

In this slice of an
Mutasim Billah
“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.”

A humorous yet eye-opening take on the culture of patriarchy, Embroideries is a comic book about an evening of tea-drinking and gossip among women in Iran in the Satrapi family. The illustrations have women gossiping about lost loves and failed marriages, about faking virginity, plastic surgery and whether it is really important for a woman to actually have a man in her life.

The book shows a charming aspect of Iranian culture whe
Rebecca McNutt
I rarely if ever read books on the subject of sex or marriage, but Embroideries is about much more than these things. It's about normal women who have adapted to oppression and learned how to expertly hide who they really are. It's about the thrill of secrets, the fear of being caught and the brief taste of freedom that comes along with living in such uncertain times. It's about fashion, fun and also fright. Told in beautiful illustrations from the author of the equally incredible Persepolis, Em ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Marjane Satrapi lives by converting her family history into graphic novels. Her magnum opus The Complete Persepolis was absolutely mind-blowing, and it was this book which got me hooked to the genre of graphic novels in general. In this book, the mood is not as heavy, but definitely a lot more naughty as Iranian women from three generations, after sending the men off to sleep after dinner, discuss their sexual escapades, misadventures and fantasies. Some are painful, some are weird, and some are ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
I am hugely disappointed with this one. It's so weird, sexist and gross that I got literally numb the moment I closed this book.

I get the point that women gossip about a lot of things, every tiny details they know about or we think we know of. I get that grandmothers and women talk a lot of weird women stuff. That's not the point of me disliking this book so much. If this one is meant to be humorous and satirical, I get only two percent of it; I find the rest rather insulting, pointless and gend
Valerie
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Reading this graphic novel was like being invited to tea with a group of Iranian women, except that the talk turned (interestingly enough) to arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. The images strengthened the words in such a way that when I was done reading it I actually felt like I knew and had spent a little time with these women.

It's interesting, because their conversation makes it seem like they have some power (while living under harsh social restrictions) but as
Malia
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a short, amusing read, though not at all on par with the impactful Persepolis books by the same author. That being said, it's an easy read and gives a glimpse of Iranian culture among women.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
☆☽Erica☾☆
This author is great. Her graphic novel Persepolis is remarkable and hilarious, and her notable humor is present here as well. :) I enjoyed it.
Hippo dari Hongkong
Story about various Iranian women. They're sit back and relax in the afternoon while sipping a hot cup of tea. But not just that, they all have a tale to tell.
And the story begin...

"To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart."
Huwahahaha...

Pertama-tama ketika nge-mark as to read gw pernah komen "Mari ngebordir" , yang dikasi komen sama Lita di message #1 dan saya ngasi komen "wah, rok mini mah cepet keknya ngebordirnya, siap lah" di message #2. Nah, setelah beres memba
Manny
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hair-raising Iranian gossip. You keep wanting to join in. "Oh wow! What a great story! Now let me tell you about something that happened to a friend of mine..."
leynes
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you've read her graphic memoir you would already know that Marjane Satrapi was born in 1969 in Rasht, Iran. She grew up in Tehran, where she studied at the French school, before leaving for Vienna and then Strasbourg to study illustration. Persepolis provided insights into the social and political life in Iran during the Mohammad-Reza Shah regime and the subsequent Iranian revolution. Embroideries, however, couldn't be a more different take on illustrating her own experiences. Satrapi decided ...more
Alaa
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
a complementary to Persepolis on the private lives of the women in Satrapi's family.
It's a quick and light read and while that captured the mood of having tea with a bunch of women, it squandered a lot of potential as a follow-up. The stories were brutally honest and the narration outstandingly captured the attitudes towards gossip, however, Satrapi could have delved deeper into the cultural traditions around marriages, sex, and virginity within a historical context in the same manner as Persepo
Hilda
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Satrapi fans
I was disappointed by Marjane Satrapi's follow up to the fantastic two volume "Persepolis".

In "Embroideries", the setting is an after-dinner tea party between several women of different ages telling their stories abut love and sex. The potential is fantastic to really delve into the beliefs and traditions surrounding these topics. But rather than tell the complete stories with depth, she merely flits over them, so that you get a taste but little substance. She tells the stories of about 7 women
Kim
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My senior year in college I was introduced to a graphic novel memoir by Art Spiegelman entitled Maus. Spiegelman re-told his father’s Holocaust experience in a way that a) indebted me to graphic novels forever and b) made me search out other memoirs told in this unusual format. That search produced another graphic novel entitled Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Satrapi told of her experiences growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. I was enamored by her stories and the way her drawings h ...more
Monika
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have always detested gossips but once again, books came to my rescue and proved how wrong this outlook was (because of the binaries I had established). Marjane Satrapi's Embroideries is about those teeny-tiny bits of gossips and discussions which after a long and oppressing day can prove to be an elixir for life. Marjane, or Marji, as her grandmother (I love her so much) called her, is surrounded by her grandmother's friends and acquaintances, who, over a cup of tea (I think it was tea), would ...more
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The embroideries of the book’s title refer to the surgical restoration of one’s vagina to a state similar to that of a virgin. Whether this includes hymen reconstruction or merely the tightening of an age-and-use-worn genitalia, Satrapi’s book never makes clear. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, probably. What is equally unclear is the reason for naming her extended anecdote in this way. Really, I just don’t know.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi

Embroideries covers the ground of a single afternoon’s conversation between ten
Helly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book indeed, but misses the mark if you view it in the light of Satrapi's other works.
Sincerae
Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis books came to my mind last week when I was thinking about adding in some lighter reads such as some more graphic novels and manga this year.

I read the Persepolis books several years ago and watched the movie. I wondered if the public library in my town might have some of her books on hand since they've just added in a collection of graphic novels upstairs for adult readers. I was happy to find this one and another of her works.

In Embroideries the art was not as car
Nouruddine
Ceilidh
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more chatty account than Persepolis but one full of warmth, humour and a group of fascinating women sharing their wisdom. Through the eyes of a 21st century British feminist, the women's ideas of empowerment and control in relationships are a little tough to swallow, but there's something undeniably powerful in the way these stories are told to us: no mincing of words, just the truth, with all the sadness and humour contained within.
Nirav
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A FUCKING HILARIOUS QUICK READ. Damn, Satrapi never stops to amaze you and make you laugh at the same time. Persepolis was so good and Embroideries is no less. A conversation over a cup of tea one afternoon in Tehran over sex and secrets being shared among the women in you family and neighbourhood. Who would not like to be a part of it or even get a glimpse of customs in Iran. Finished in one shot, that's how amazing and laughable this book was.
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) by: Fatty Bolger
Fatty made me read it by dangling the "it's totally your kind of graphic novel" line. Thank you, Fatty! ^_^

I'll post a review tomorrow (hopefully) because I am so tired/hungry that I accidentally wrote tortilla instead of totally and my dog is growling at me to turn off the lights.
Mou
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun but it would be shame to Satrapi's "Persepolis" to rate it 5!
Gauri
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marjane Satrapi is most probably my favorite graphic novel illustrator. This is the last book I've read of hers that is autobiographical, and it doesn't necessarily hold up to the weight of the Persepolis series, but it is valuable in its own way. In this novel, Satrapi and her female relatives discuss their love lives and their sex lives, and they especially discuss societal issues regarding virginity. No doubt this book touches on the broad subject of feminism, which is, concern for women's sa ...more
Tanvi
MUST READ!
This Is the first Graphic Novel I have ever read and I absolutely adore it.
Firstly, I love that it's based in Iran, where I wouldn't expect women sitting and talking so freely about sex, marriage, losing virginities and divorces. I know I sound like I have stereotypes about women living in Iran, but to be frank, most of us do until we meet people from a particular place or visit it. And i don't know if I would ever be that lucky but the novel provides some realistic and hilarious in
Viji (Bookish endeavors)
To talk behind one’s back is to ventilate the soul.

Ever since the book started, I was assuming the usual conservative meaning for ‘embroideries’, but boy! Wasn’t I wrong! (Me trying to cover my laughter with my right palm, unsuccessfully)

May be this is the first book completely devoted to gossip that I am reading, except for the brief pieces in Voltaire and Wilde. Gossip is what they also feed on, but there is sharp distinction between a man looking at a woman’s gossip and a woman looking at it
Kasia
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book - it focuses on female communities and gossip as a way to share, laugh, and overcome pain together.
Faidz Zainal Abidin
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Of course, you know, my child, men's pride is situated in their scrotum. When one finds oneself with a bloody testicle, it is preferable to keep one's mouth shut".

Hahaha grandma is savage. Sex in the City Iranian edition 🤣.
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Sometimes funny, and sometimes quite horrifying but all rather eye-opening. I was really impressed by how much Iranian culture, history, and humour could be infused into what amounted to be a simple, every-day gathering of Iranian woman having tea and a "gap-shap" (gossip)… The women talk about first loves, sex, arranged marriages, forced marriages and husbands in general.

-I was quite surprised by how modern and forward thinking some of the women were — having plastic surgery, taking l
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combine 5 18 Nov 18, 2019 07:43PM

• As Paredes Têm Ouvidos - Sonno Elefante
  • Andanças e Confissões de um Homem em Pijama (Novela Gráfica 2020, #7)
  • Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
  • Designio femenino: Libros sobre la verdad de ser mujer
  • Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama
  • Burma Chronicles
  • The Rabbi's Cat
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a