Start by marking “I'm Dirty!” as Want to Read:
I'm Dirty!

I'm Dirty!

(I'm ...! - Machines at Work)

Now a streaming animated series!

This construction vehicle with an attitude loves every second of his dirty job!

For fans of Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site and Steam Train, Dream Train comes a noisy addition to the hilarious read-aloud series from Kate and Jim McMullan, the popular creators of I'm Bad! and I Stink!

Clank! Rattle! Bang!
Who's making all that noise?
Back
Published August 15th 2006 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about I'm Dirty!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Dirty!

Start your review of I'm Dirty!
Matt
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Learning about the life of a front-end loader, Neo had the chance to discover all the implements as well as what they can do. The life of a loader is surely not a clean one, but without them, the world would be a much dirtier place. Of course, SOMEONE has to get dirty in the bigger scheme of things. Neo hopes we can see some loaders on our future adventures and promised to check just how dirty they can get.
Stephanie  Weatherly
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My boys loved this book! Cute illustrations accompany the text.
Robert Beveridge
Kate and Jim McMullen, I'm Dirty! (Joanna Cotler Books, 2006)

Another entry in the “kids who love heavy equipment” subgenre. The subject of this quirky little tome is a backhoe loader who's, well, kind of conceited, judging from the first four pages. There's a quick section about counting backwards from ten, then the dirty part kicks in. I was a little jarred by the subtlety of some of the dirt references when juxtaposed with the ones that hit you in the face with a week-old dead haddock, but the
Seth Schleicher
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Title: I’m Dirty
Author/Illustrator: Kate and Jim McMullan
Reading Level: L
Book Level: 2.4

Book Summary:
This story is about a backhoe loader who tells his story of what he is made up of and what he cleans up while getting dirty along the way including removing trash to a giant tree stump before finishing his job of clearing a lot.

Bookshelf Genre:
__X___Picture Books

Word Choice - In this story the author uses very descriptive words with describing the main character, a backhoe loader. The a
Maria Mascalco
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm Dirty! by Kate and Jim McMullan is a great counting book that is a great way to introduce counting to children. The book is great because it has the truck picking up different amounts of different objects. For example the truck picks up "6 broken bicycles and 5 burned out barbecues." On the page, there is exactly that amount of bicycles and barbecues which allows children to interact with the book and physically count the amount of the objects making it very easy to learn.

The illustrations
Aolund
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
An energetic, informative book about a backhoe who really likes its job. Readers get to learn about the various parts of a backhoe, the kind of work it does in the course of a day, and a 10-to-1 counting sequence is included as a list of items that the backhoe is tasked to move into a dumpster. Lots of onomatopoeias and energy, probably best for an older toddler or preschool crowd.

Themes: Dirt/Mess; Machines; Construction
Shelby Miller
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
This book could be a great opportunity to help make books appealing to young boys. The middle of the story includes a section focused on counting. I think this is a fun and different book for children to explore.
Topics: working machines, machine parts, daily duties, counting, responsibility, pride.
Rebecca Grabill
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The author in me loves the voice and fun and frolic if this book. The kid in me loves the dirt and grime and work in this book. The parent reading aloud loved how much my little guy loved this book. The parent reading aloud does have a little trouble sustaining the energy necessary to read this book well, however. 😜 This whole series is a hit.
Ali Book&Seaglasshunter
My son really enjoys these books, and this one was no different. I however don’t love them. Something about the way the vehicles talks just rubs me the wrong way. It kind of sounds like locker room talk, needlessly Braggy and lacking some substance. I did like the counting Segment and found it creative.
Lauren
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This would be a good book for using sound effects during storytime. I like that the digger has a fun, loud personality. There are a lot of aspects about this book that would be great to make for an interactive storytime.
Nadina
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was cute, I liked the counting and the rhythm this had. I don't know why I wasn't as keen on "I Stink" beacause with the countdown this follows a similar pattern to that book, but for some reason I do like it, it was really cute.
I also liked the illustrations.
Carina
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations made us think of the Amazon show "The Stinky and Dirty Show," but the show is a whole lot more fun than this book. The book is a string of words that feel like they should rhyme, but they don't.
Melissa Namba
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I fun little book introducing the work of a back hoe. The illustrations are fun, there is a cute little counting lesson, and it is informative. Not sure my nieces will like it, but I hope their brother does.
Shawn Deal
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Wonderfully illustrated. This is a good book about how one machine works plus a counting book in how much that machine can lift. Very clever combination.
Jill
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of great noises to make in this one.
Samantha
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as I Stink!, but still pretty good.
Eliot Reads
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, including the countdown of garbage from 10!
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of a series, this book is about backhoes from the voice of a backhoe. Great illustrations. It's a fun read for young children.
Miss Sarah
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A backhoeday goes through it's day getting dirty and making noise. toddler and up
Joseph
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Fun Fun Fun for the kids.

This is a good series to do "Dad voices" for the kids.
Heather
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book
Kelly
It was okay. For those children who love truck...here you go.
Deja
I hadn't read any of this series by McMullan, though I'd recommended them. Good to know what they're like. I was impressed by the counting part!
Miss Kelly
Jul 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't like these books.
Julie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My 2 year old son loved this book! He refused to let me read anything else to him at bedtime for a few days.
Cmeiss330
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book. The audio is read to perfection by Steve Buscemi.
Susan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I’m just happy my 2 year old is really into books now.
Elaine
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesson-plans
Went over very well with a group of eight one year olds!
Dan Blackley
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Story about a back hoe.
Jenn
Jul 02, 2020 added it
#stayathome reading with the kids
they were hysterical with this one!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • Ada Lovelace: The Poet of Science
  • Small Walt and Mo the Tow
  • Construction Site on Christmas Night
Kate McMullan is an American children's book author.
She is the author of the Dragon Slayers' Academy series. She is married to author and illustrator James McMullan.

I'm ...! - Machines at Work (8 books)
  • I Stink!