Start by marking “The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance” as Want to Read:
The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance

The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance

Christians trying to model their lives after Jesus may find that He gets buried under lists, rules, and formulas. Now bestselling author Randy Alcorn offers a simple two-point checklist for Christlikeness based on John 1:14. The test consists of balancing grace and truth, equally and unapologetically. Grace without truth deceives people, and ceases to be grace. Truth witho ...more
Published January 9th 2003 by Multnomah (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Grace and Truth Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grace and Truth Paradox

Start your review of The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance
Jonathan Roberts
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2016
My review will not do this little book justice, but I will try! This is a phenomenal book! Taking on the problems of grace and truth in the Christian worldview. Just like many Christians I struggle with how to be totally about truth but at the same time be totally about grace as well. Seems like most of us major in one or the other but this book discusses how to balance it and it does it very well. I cannot recommend this book high enough. It is not super deep, in that it could have been over 50 ...more
Josh Lavey
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily the most convicting book a developing Christian could read.
B. Ellis
Randy Alcorn is one of my top five favorite living authors. I’ve read at least fifteen of his books. In fact, his perspectives, illustrations, and stories often find their way into the Bible studies I teach as a Campus Minister.

In honor of Randy Alcorn, I’ve actually hidden The Grace and Truth Paradox in the cover photograph of my own book, Question Everything. See if you can find it.

About The Book

In The Grace and Truth Paradox, Randy takes on the “apparent contradiction” in the co-existence of
LadyCalico
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books. God didn't make it hard for us--religion makes it hard for us. So often Pastors of various denominations argue opposing bits of minutia to the point that the Scripture is distorted and disfigured and I am left confused and wondering if they read the same Bible I did. Now I just weigh to what degree each opinion is out of Grace/Truth balance. This short clearly-written book puts the badly-abused Word of the Lord back into His sensible perspective. Yeah, Grace/Tr ...more
Matt Hartzell
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Matt by: Anne Owen
Shelves: theology
This was a short book little book. I think it serves as a helpful reminder for how to approach people. I don't have much to say about it, as it was very short, and probably could have been even shorter and still communicated the main gist well.
Jaime Kes
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for anyone who struggles with being too harsh with the truth or can't ever speak the truth. This book is all about Christ-like balance. I loved it and learned a ton!
Bill Catchings
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Alcorn looks at balancing truth (which can be harsh) with grace (which can be too gentle). Generally, most Christians fall more to one side or the other of this balance. Some think that telling other folks they are wrong is the most important thing and believe they are doing so in love. Others instead favor showing grace and forgiveness over worrying about what the sin may be. Alcorn attempts to show the correct balance between these two extremes. My main complaint with the book is that it does ...more
Alex
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This little book is a good reminder of something that is easy to remember in theory, easy to forget in practice.

I appreciate the notion of grace and truth as a “two-point checklist of Christlikeness,” but the first two chapters felt like a rapid-fire series of cliché one-liners and tired metaphors, some original and some borrowed. I guess they’re supposed to help make the point stick.

The rest of the book is excellent. Randy is at his best when he shares personal anecdotes, draws extended analogi
Barry
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Jesus was filled with grace and truth, and Christ-followers also are called to be filled with grace and truth, but the reality is that most people tend to err on one side or the other: too heavy on grace with little balance of truth, or too heavy on truth with little balance on grace. What we need is 100% of both.

With personal illustrations and practical advice, Mr. Alcorn highlights the need for grace-and-truth and shows how to strike the balance. While not all-comprehensive, The Grace and Trut
Damon Gray
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good it surprised me. I really didn't know what to expect. There were times when I let out a whispered, but literal "whoa!"

Alcorn wrestles with the seeming contradiction or mutual exclusivity of God's grace and God's truth, noting that Jesus came with both, "full of grace and truth." What Alcorn does is examine and define both grace and truth, and then works the reader through an exercise of embracing and employing both without emphasizing one to the detriment of the other.

Alco
Awkward.Book.Girl (Stephanie)
3.0

It's not a bad book, and it's a good reminder that grace and truth go hand in hand, and without either, you can develop extremist views that don't back up the gospel. It's a good read for a recent convert, and it has convicting material.

I think I was left wanting more. More scripture. More definitive explanations of what is grace and truth. How to apply utilizing grace and truth in our daily lives.

Instead, I got more story-based narratives (which aren't necessarily bad) and vague statements
Emilyn Umbrell
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
" Grace and truth are spiritual DNA, the building blocks of Christ-centered living."

I LOVED THIS BOOK.
Downloaded the audible version and finished it 3 hours later.

We are told in John 1 that Christ, the only begotten of the Father, is full of grace AND truth. This book helps explain in easy-to-understand terms how this is not a balance, but how both are fully operative at the same time in Christ Jesus. An interesting concept, one that I can't wait to explore further and work to improve in my own
Erin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good!

A short, simple book on a concept that it's hard to wrap our minds around--God's grace and truth always exist together, although our human understanding sees them as mutually exclusive. But Jesus perfectly demonstrated both, so for the world to see Him in the church, we must demonstrate both too. Alcorn does a great job in unpacking this apparent paradox and pointing us to Christ to show what true grace and truth look like when operating in harmony.
Trevor Atwood
A good, basic, easy-to-read book (or maybe pamphlet) on the paradox of grace and truth in Christianity.

Randy Alcorn seems like the real deal to me, not because of his writing (which is fine), but because of his life.

This is a good little book to give folks who haven’t thought much at all about Jesus or who are trying to understand on a basic level how forgiveness of sin and justice for sin can work together.

Lots of short stories and illustrations.

Readable in one short sitting.
Louis Lapides
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book for followers of Jesus who might lean too much towards grace or too much towards truth. Neither characteristic can be missing or overemphasized by a Christian. If you have nothing but truth, you can become a hardliner without any compassion. If a person leans too much towards grace, he can be mostly accepting but refuses to correct anyone. We need both to have a balanced spiritual life.
Angela Wimberly
Pretty somber

I didn't care for this book as much as I thought I would. As a Christian, I find the relationship between grace and truth to be something that should be sober, yet joyous. Grace! Just the thought of it should bring joy to the Christian heart. But I found this book to be a bit too serious for my taste.
Steve Schoonover
The challenge to the church has always been balancing the need to provide both grace and truth. To be sure, both are essential. When one is over-emphasized, it is almost always at the expense of the other. As a church member and staff person, this book was very helpful in confirming this idea and suggesting how to work through the effect of getting too far to one side or the other.
Robert Wegner
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book giving both sides of the story of graciously sharing truth with others. I highly recommend this small book that can be read in one sitting and help form the way you talk to people.
Ryan Chia
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Short Book

If you like to read a short book on Jesus: Truth and Grace, this would do. Plenty to chew over a weekend. There will be a few well-written sentences that will keep you thinking for a long time.
Jimmy McKee
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Helpful, concise book where Alcorn thoughtfully meanders through the ideas of grace and truth in Scripture as well as what it looks like to hold both as Christians in the modern world. Easy read. Good book!
Matt Wolf
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short book on a necessary balance

I love short books that get it right. Randy Alcorn’s book teaches how we must strive for both grace and truth. Good stories as examples and illustrations to help you understand it.
Travis Bell
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Very good book on grace and truth! Randy Alcorn does it again! I love reading all his books! Very enlightening!
John
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book on the subject of grace and truth. Deep. Easy, short read. Enough said.
Russell George
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book

After I finished reading this book I felt like I need to read it again and make notes on it.
Todd Hudnall
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, fabulous book.
Susan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful book on Grace & Truth! Alot to think on definitely needs more than one read in my opinion. ...more
Alberta Rector
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grace and truth - concepts my mind has trouble balancing. This book keeps me on track and reminds me of Gods plan and purpose. Thank you Mr Alcorn for allowing God to use you.
Bonnie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I will be re-reading this book many times. It is a small book (less than 100 pages) but packed with insight.
Michelle
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good reminders about truth for this grace driven girl.
Christine Dawson
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Not Forsaken: Finding Freedom as Sons & Daughters of a Perfect Father
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Irresistible: Reclaiming the New that Jesus Unleashed for the World
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Plan for the World
  • Reflections on the Psalms
  • God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies
  • The Gathering Storm: Secularism, Culture, and the Church
  • Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery
  • Paul: A Biography
  • One.Life: Jesus Calls, We Follow
  • Dream with Me: Race, Love, and the Struggle We Must Win
  • The Bible Answer Book, Volume 2
  • Once Night Falls
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim